PDA

View Full Version : Who do you consider to be Trail Legends?

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2002, 20:56
"Old Time Legends":

Ed Garvey - he wrote the book I most consult with and enjoyed most. He walked the trail, worked the trail, shared the trail and helped to preserve the trail!!

Earl Schaffer - first true thru-hiker. Wonderful man. truely understood the trail and it's magic.

Grandma Gatewood - first female thru-hiker, made all of her own
gear.

"Recent Legends":

Wingfoot (Dan Bruce) - Hiked the trail numerous times, author of the Thru-HIker Handbook, on various trail committees, is a strong advocate for trail issues.

Nomad Nibblewill - Completed what some call the ECT, author of 10,000,000 Steps, inspirational spreaker.

"Current Legends"

The Barefoot Sisters (Isis & Jackrabbit) for hiking barefoot 75% of their hike from ME to GA in 2000 and then hiking back home GA to ME in 2001.

Hammock Hanger - a legend in her own mind!!! ~~ :D

I was lucky enough to meet all the above with the exception of Ed G & Grandma G.

HAMMOCK HANGER

smokymtnsteve
12-30-2002, 18:25
I remember the BAREFOOT SISTERS at the talent show in damascus....
man are they something!!!

Ann
01-12-2003, 16:32
I think the Recent/Current Legends would be incomplete without adding Baltimore Jack to the list. With 7 thru-hikes since 1995 I would think that would put him on the TOP of the list.

I also think Lone Wolf has a place on the list with some SERIOUS miles hiked on the AT.

It appears that some of the missing people on the Recent/ Current list do not boast about their accomplishments, are modest people who just quietly do their own thing and help others maybe that is why I did not see anyone mention them yet.

BTW...can anyone out there send me a pointer to trail journals for either one of these guys...something tells me it would be the DEFINITIVE read for the most RECENT insight into what trail life is REALLY like.

Jeff
01-12-2003, 17:24
Anyone who has spent some time with Rambunny would certainly consider her a "Trail Legend" !!!

Hammock Hanger
01-12-2003, 17:26
Yes, BJ is pretty much a legend on the trail, seems 90% of hikers old and new have heard of him in some way or another. -- I honestly don't know as much about LW.

As for public journals, don't know if they have one. (Some hikers prefer to keep their journey private.) As both are big contributors to this site, I'm sure they will let ya know themselves.

HH

Lone Wolf
01-12-2003, 18:26
No journals for me. I'm just hiker trash. I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend. I can name a few though. Bob Barker hiked The AT 3 times using crutches. Tom Horn has been out here for 20+ years. His dog Misty had 12,000 miles before she died. Ward Leonard, 11 thru-hikes plus other miles.1 he did in 60 days unsupported. Warren Doyle. Just as many hikes and miles. Bill Erwin. Pirate. Leonard Atkins & the Umbrella Lady. Many, many more. There are so many you won't hear about. They won't write books or look for recognition.

Ann
01-12-2003, 19:28
Lone Wolf wrote:

I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend.

You might not fit the description of a purist and you might not think you are a legend but what you've done sure sounds like you are a legend in your own right!!!!! What is great is that you have enjoyed your miles and have not made false claim to your hikes.
AND...I'll BET you have some GREAT stories logging all those miles.
I was hoping you might have kept a journal....I'll bet it would have been very interesting to read!!!

PS...I'll have to look for a journal on Tim Horn and his amazing dog..WOW now that IS man's best friend...12,000 miles for a dog is incredible!!!!

Blue Jay
01-13-2003, 08:57
I would deffinitely second the nomination for Baltimore Jack, even if he had not thruhiked so many times. The many and varied stories about him finding a dead guy in the Doyle Hotel are legendary enough. I don't even need to hear the real story as I love hearing the new ones that evolve every year. I would like to know the room number however, so I can be sure to get the right one next time I'm through. The new owners claim to not know. Was it the back corner room on the third floor?

Ann
01-13-2003, 09:40
WOW..
Blue Jay!!!!! I'd now say that clinches the top berth on the current/recent legends list by a landslide.

The many and varied stories about him finding a dead guy in the Doyle Hotel are legendary enough. I don't even need to hear the real story as I love hearing the new ones that evolve every year.

OK...PLEASE, PLEASE, no holding back, gotta provide any links if they are known!!!!!!!

Hammock Hanger
01-13-2003, 10:11
Originally posted by Blue Jay
. The new owners claim to not know. Was it the back corner room on the third floor?

That is the room I had.... Maybe that is why I had such weird dreams.... HH

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2003, 16:13
Blue Jay asked "Was it the back corner room on the third floor?"

Nope.

Blue Jay
01-15-2003, 09:01
Now I know it was Professor Plum, with the Candlestick and I only have to get the right room and I win.

flyfisher
05-13-2003, 22:30
It was 1975, I was learning how to be a camp counselor at a place just out of Franklin NC called the Inn of the Last Resort.

The owner knew Rufus, an episcopal priest who did a lot of trail hiking and maintaining. I believe he has a shelter named after him.

Well, it turned out that Rufus liked to hike to the cabin on Mt. LeConte on his birthday. He had been doing it for decades and a small group of 40 or so of us walked that summer with him on his 90th birthday. We walked out of somewhere near NewFound Gap.

It was not an easy hike, as Rufus was essentially blind by then, and he insisted on leading the hike.

Rick

JackW
05-15-2003, 11:34
I read about a Blind Man who hiked the entire AT but I cannot recall his name. Wouldn't he qualify as a "legend?"

Peaks
05-15-2003, 16:15
Originally posted by JackW
I read about a Blind Man who hiked the entire AT but I cannot recall his name. Wouldn't he qualify as a "legend?"

The man was Bill Irwin. Read his book "Blind Courage" about his 1990 thru-hike.

Personally, the AT isn't designed for hiking without eyesight. While I may condone his decision to thru-hike, I certainly do very much admire and respect him for his convictions. I listened to him talk at the 1992 ATC conference in Williamstown, and thought that he was the highlist of that conference.

JackW
05-15-2003, 17:09
Thanks. I will get that book.

Blue Jay
05-16-2003, 08:56
His dog is the legend. How would you like having a blind guy fall on you over and over and over. I'm not joking.

Lilred
08-01-2003, 18:12
What about the tin can stove man?? From what I understand he practically singlehandedly did away with stove weight and his stoves are still made and used today. Being a newbie, he's one of the first 'legends' I heard about.

B Thrash
08-01-2003, 20:52
I have not saw and entries about Dorothy Laker, she was one of the first female hikers to thru-hike the AT. She should be mentioned as a legand.

George S. Patton

warren doyle
09-08-2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
No journals for me. I'm just hiker trash. I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend. I can name a few though. Bob Barker hiked The AT 3 times using crutches. Tom Horn has been out here for 20+ years. His dog Misty had 12,000 miles before she died. Ward Leonard, 11 thru-hikes plus other miles.1 he did in 60 days unsupported. Warren Doyle. Just as many hikes and miles. Bill Erwin. Pirate. Leonard Atkins & the Umbrella Lady. Many, many more. There are so many you won't hear about. They won't write books or look for recognition.

warren doyle
09-08-2003, 19:58
For the record,
Ward Leonard has the completed the Appalachian Trail 10 times rather than the 11 times that Lone Wolf posted.

stranger
10-30-2003, 01:35
Speaking of Lone Wolf...who certainly has been around the trail more than most people, I was wondering how many miles you do each year? Do you hike back to Damascus? Just curious, I guess your funds would dictate most of that.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2003, 07:14
Haven't done much since 2000. Plan to do Springer to Damascus this coming year Starting in April.

Blue Jay
10-30-2003, 15:37
Hey, Baltimore Jack is only a false idol when he's wearing those hot pants. As for graven image (I looked this one up), he has to be made of wood or stone. I would never mock God, but Will you're too "Easy".

stranger
10-30-2003, 19:22
Back to the AT please...Religious rants are for the weak and impressionable.

Former Easy
11-01-2003, 07:25
to assume every off the wall post is written by me isn't right. Yes I've written some off the wall crap before and im deeply sorry I did and apoligize. I have never attacked someones charachter, that hasn't mine first. I have nothing but respect for Jack and wish I could accomplish what he has. Also Jack I hope you know I didn't post that religous rant.

The Weasel
11-01-2003, 16:02
Damn. One of the greatest rant-threads of all time, and I missed it until today? Jeez.

But much as it might distress Jack, I have to agree with Will. Jack's only done a dozen thousand miles or so. Lucifer? Wow. He's thru hiked from Heaven to Hell, and is trying to go NOBO. Can't compete with that! (Wonder what kind of stove he used?)

Still, I'm a little surprised that Will admires ol' Luci more than Jack, but then if that's his thing, I hoped he got plenty of Snickers bars last night. But that may be why Jack didn't see Will in church, too.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2003, 17:51
That noted biblical scholar and sometime attorney Weasel mentioned that Lucifer "thru-hiked from Heaven to Hell...."

I'm not sure of this. It's open to debate. There was at least one eye-witness account, that being Jesus', who allegedly saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven (Luke 10:18). In other words, it appears Lucifer didn't hike every mile, but perhaps did some sort of yellow-blaze free-fall. Or perhaps he had van support of some kind. In any case, I don't think he hiked all the way. WillK---any thoughts on this?

The Weasel
11-01-2003, 18:10
Jack ----

Well may you laugh at my knowledge of the Bible, but as someone who has been told that he looks "older than Methuselah," I think I can be expected to remember some of the things I saw back then. Do I criticise your knowledge of backpacking and the AT? Well, do I criticise it much? OK, so I criticise it. But Jack, God loves me and Will (well, me, anyhow, I'm not sure about anyone else, but Will seems pretty sure that he's part of the "chosen" so I'll cut him some slack this time), so you just have to stop doubting me, OK?

And as for ol' Luc, he may have "fallen from Heaven," but as I recall, it was more of a tumble, sort of the way I bounced my way down Blood Mountain. And I think it is truly unkind of you to suggest that he "yellow blazed" it. He did NOT ride in a firery chariot, or even an SUV.

Shows how little you know. With all your time wasted sitting around doing nothing except a wussy little stroll around some of those NH hills and goin' to church all those Sundays and sucking up to Bill Bryson, you'd think you'd have time to study up on these things. Please thank Will for a part of your education that was sorely lacking.

See Will? Aren't you glad I'm on your side??? Let's rant some more about godless types and how they're headed to hell along with everyone else who we don't like. I love making people terrified of God, Jesus and all them other types they should be scared of! In fact, Will, how about you 'n' me go for a thru hike together. You can walk on my left side as we go around Charley's Grunion! (Oops. I tripped. Dang. Look at Will fly. Like a rock.)

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2003, 21:50
Weasel--

Whoa, are you obviously out of the loop! Fact is, Bill Bryson now longer lives in Hanover, having sold his house awhile ago and has allegedly returned to England. Therefore, I can hardly suck up to him, even were I ever so inclined. Can't think of anything more annoying at present than a know-it-all shylock who can't get his facts straight! And no, Weasel, I'm not talking about Senator Edwards!

I'm credibly informed he sold his place here in town for around $985,000, which means maybe I better write that Trail book after all. Talk about good work at good wages.

Will not answer Will's latest commentary at present as I lack the time, inclination, and patience. If his posts are attempts at humor, they're getting more than a little tired. If they are at all serious, then I've no wish to debate him. One's spiritual life is one's own business, and I'm not particularly interested in discussing this with Will here...... nor elsewhere, for that matter.

The Weasel
11-01-2003, 22:10
Originally posted by Jack Tarlin
Can't think of anything more annoying at present than a know-it-all shylock who can't get his facts straight!

Jack---

Thanks for the update on Bill. Sorta sad to see the poor schlep out of the US, especially since I kinda like Brits. (As you knew, though, it was no more a dig at you than the "mere couple dozen thousand miles" comment. Both were, however, a bit too subtle for Religious Dude.)

But thanks for the compliment. I guess everyone has to be good at something, and it appear we both think I'm even more annoying than Will. YES! Success at last!

The Weasel

Lugnut
11-01-2003, 23:47
I, for one, wouldn't be upset to see a continuing discussion between The Weasel and Jack. It's rare to see two opponents so evenly matched in intellect.( Before you guys jump me, I mean that in as a compliment. ) Jack, who probably knows the most, against The Weasel, who argues a point just like the lawyer he is. This could get really good! :banana

The Weasel
11-02-2003, 01:59
Why would I argue with Jack? At least on this thread (and pretty much all the time) he's the guy I agree with. (Don't worry, Jack...I ain't gettin' soft in my dotage.) And he's a lot more of the 'trail legend' that I could ever hope to be, if I hoped to be a legend, which is unlikely. Unlike me and my good pal and fellow Bible thumper, Will K.

The Weasel

Lugnut
11-02-2003, 12:35
info-tainment, my friend. Info-tainment! :)

The Weasel
11-02-2003, 12:42
Entertainment? You want to see two hyper-argumentative guys shouting at each other, "I'm right." "No, you're VERY right!" "No, I'm EXTREMELY very right!" "You idiot! You have no conception how TOTALLY extremely right you are!"

Hate to break it to you, Luggy...Jack is, by and large, on target with his remarks, and I can't recall a lot of substantive disagreement from him with things I've said.

Well, yeah, except that I think that my really cool Religious Dude idol, Will K, is probably genetically human, and Jack probably doesn't care either way.

The Weasel

alpine
11-05-2003, 11:07
with drawn

Jack Tarlin
11-05-2003, 14:34
Alpine---

Seiko has been around a very long time, and nobody's really sure how many A.T. miles he has.... but it's a lot. He knows the trail as well as anyone alive, and is one of the most impressive hikers I've ever met. By the way, he doesn't change his trail name every year; he's been "Seiko" for quite awhile now.... and as for his real name, well, he likes to keep a very low profile; you'll never see him on an internet forum, you'll never see him commenting on his accumulated mileage, number of hikes, etc. That's not his style. I'm not sure HE even knows how far he's travelled on the Trail.....nor does he particularly care, for that matter.

He still hikes a great deal every year, and does all sorts of favors for hikers.....while he doesn't change his name every year, he sure changes his GEAR every year as he habitually gives stuff away to hikers in need and then replaces it out his own pocket; I've personally seen him do this half a dozen times; this is a guy who would literally give you the jacket off his back. He also spends a good bit of time with Bob Peoples of Kincora fame and has helped Bob out with a lot of things, Trail projects, etc.

You're lucky to have met him, as he's one of the more remarkable people you're likely to encounter on the Trail; if you need to contact him for anything or wish to write him, you can send a card to Kincora and Bob will see that he gets it.

Sly
11-05-2003, 15:17
Alpine, as far as I know, Namie is the only guy to hike the Triple Crown, both north and south. He's a pretty cool guy, I've met him on the PCT and at Trail Days.

I hope to do the same someday. I have northbound covered.

30seconds2000
12-03-2003, 14:51
"F#ck you, I'm a trail legend"

-Baltimore Jack, sometime after midnight, somewhere in the outskirts of Damascus, Trail Days 2003.

I have long since forgotten who he was arguing with or what it was about, but this stunning logic had me laughing till dawn.

Jack- I will never let you forget that you said something so ridiculous. (Not that you don't say many ridiculous things) Sorry I missed Trashgiving, I heard it was a blast.

mcw1882
12-03-2003, 16:29
How about the youngest hikers to thru hike the AT?

I did it in '80, and another 6 year old completed it with his family in 2002...

chomp
12-03-2003, 17:14
Great quote, 30, I will NEVER forget that statement. I, too, forget exactly what it was about, but it was one of the funniest things that Jack has ever said. Almost as funny as the expression on his face, as if to say "That really didn't just come out of my mouth, did it?"

Lone Wolf
12-03-2003, 17:18
There are no living trail legends.

gravityman
12-03-2003, 20:00
The Family from the North had a pretty young kid with them (2?) but she didn't hike, or even walk. I wonder how young the youngest one of them was. I seem to think that they had a 4 year old with them, but maybe I am misremembering..

Interesting family though. Hiked in SOBO in 2000/2001. I wonder what they did after they were done. When we met them at the Blue Mountain Shelter the father was talking about a yo-yo or a PCT hike, but the Mom and daughters were pretty much done hiking. The sons were into it though.

Gravity Man

Jester2000
12-29-2003, 20:20
Sooo. . .trail legends (that was the topic, hey?)
Hmm. Earl (cemented his status in my mind with the PA Ruck "Gatewoodgate"); Bill Irwin, although I really don't believe a blind guy got up South Kinsman; Warren; Baltimore Jack (I know the room number, and I also knew about the recently discovered large toenail); LW (with a very Charles Barkleyesque "I am not a trail legend" thing going on); Tilly, Bob & Pat, the incomperable Miss J, Steve "Don't Pay the Ferryman" Longley, Peregrin of America, the mysterious Lester Zemons, and Uncle Johnny, for all the wrong reasons. Oh, and Bill.

Incomplete, but a nice mix. How's that grabya?

Blue Jay
12-30-2003, 09:05
Peregrin of America, the mysterious Lester Zemons

Please tell me about these two, I do not know anything about them.

screwysquirrel
01-23-2004, 22:13
Seiko has been around a very long time, and nobody's really sure how many A.T. miles he has.... but it's a lot. He knows the trail as well as anyone alive, and is one of the most impressive hikers I've ever met. By the way, he doesn't change his trail name every year; he's been "Seiko" for quite awhile now.... and as for his real name, well, he likes to keep a very low profile; you'll never see him on an internet forum, you'll never see him commenting on his accumulated mileage, number of hikes, etc. That's not his style. I'm not sure HE even knows how far he's travelled on the Trail.....nor does he particularly care, for that matter. You sure got that right .:clap

jollies
01-24-2004, 00:41
How about Flyin' Brian? He did all three trails (CDT, PCT, and AT) in 10 months. Over 7000 trail miles.

tribes
01-24-2004, 02:01
What about Heald w/ Dog Wonder? I think they have a whole bunch of miles.

A-Train
01-24-2004, 12:32
What about Heald w/ Dog Wonder? I think they have a whole bunch of miles.

Yeah, that was my choice, refer back to an earlier post. He may have never officially done a thru-hike (that i know of) but hes hiked the equivalent many times south bound which not many others have. Most miles were off season, alone, in very cold weather. He also does have a substantial number of nobo miles each early spring. Doesn't ask for praise. Doesn't spend all day online. A good guy

Happy
01-24-2004, 15:06
A-Train, I agree with you. Remember he camped with us at Hawk Mountain shelter last March 1st. I talked with him at the top of Springer on February 28th and he had just got his new BD Megalite. He stopped at Stover Creek for a break on March 1st with Liteshoe, Wench, Hotdog, Bumpkin and myself.

He works with Winton each year prior to his NB start. I don't know total miles but it is a tremendous amount....and is leaving in March again.

Tanglefoot
01-24-2004, 15:09
Lone WOlf: Hello my trailname is Tanglefoot. This will be my first through hike and I am confused about allk the choices of foods and supplies. I am close to ordering for about 1 grand Monutain House http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php/cPath/147_148/products_id/167?osCsid=f45f24661d44a500e88c0d8a65159aae Nitro Pack is willing to halve the order for me so then I can have a frined ship a box of food and supplies every 2 weeks to a new location. I also am looking at the Aquamira wtaer purification which looks reasonably cheap as I can buy it for 11 bucks for a 30 gallon treatment. They even claim it makes the water taste better. ANy info you shre would be helful.
Tanglefoot.

Happy
01-24-2004, 15:14
A-train, was his dog's name Annie? I know she got injured on last years hike and had to go home. He told me she had over 8,000 AT miles herself.

One Leg
01-24-2004, 15:40
I'll cast my vote for Bill Irwin. He's the reason I'm beginning my thru-hike on March 22nd. His strength and determination showed me that I actually stood a chance of completing a thru-hike regardless of the obstacles. Peaks made the statement that "Personally, the AT isn't designed for hiking without eyesight" I guess Bill could have stayed at home and practiced his chair caning abilities, but he didn't, and for that, I am thankful. The man fell, on average of, 25 times per day, every day he was on the trail. And you know what? He got back up and continued his hike each time he fell. That may not seem like a legend in some folks' book, but he'll always be one in mine.(Not looking to start an arguement, just stating my feelings.)
Scott Rogers, Amputee Hiker

Rain Man
01-24-2004, 17:48
I'll cast my vote for Bill Irwin. ... The man fell, on average of, 25 times per day, every day he was on the trail. And you know what? He got back up and continued his hike each time he fell. ...

Scott, I'll agree with you. THAT is legendary stuff for sure. And his dog Orient (now dead) deserves to be named too.

My daughter and I heard Bill Irwin speak last April in Gatlinburg, then read his book. I've only hiked the portion of the AT in Georgia, but even so still can not imagine doing it totally blind.

Rain Man

A-Train
01-24-2004, 18:13
Happy, Good to see you here! That was certainly a big group of march 1 starters, and a crowded hawk mountain. Yes, Heald's dog is named Annie, the wonder dog. Hes got some great cartoons in the registers, probably every single year. Hes hiking again this march. Usually takes off in march, hikes north, works at his shop for a couple months then starts SOBOing in september. Saw him at the Gathering in October, he had hiked into Hanover. And yeah, Annie has tons of miles on her, that old hag!

Zzzzdyd
01-24-2004, 22:05
I remember the BAREFOOT SISTERS at the talent show in damascus....
man are they something!!!

Hi smoky

Do you know when they finished their SB hike in 2000 ? I met a couple of gals last part of Feb. first part of March 2001 in the southern part of the AT, just wondering if it could have been them. These gals had hairy legs dudes with them though..

PS thanks for telling me about this site.

Kozmic Zian
02-27-2004, 23:53
Dorothy Laker Thru-Hiked 3 times.

Kozmic Zian
02-28-2004, 00:23
Yea......Legends.

1) Henry David Thoreau
2) John Muir
3) Myron Avery
4) Earl Shaffer
5) Ed Garvey
6) Gramma Gatewood
7) Dorothy Laker
8) Seiko
9) Ward Leonard
10) Baltimore Jack

__________________________________________________ __________________
:sun Shining Stars!

Lone Wolf
02-28-2004, 01:38
Anyone who takes steps on AT is a legend. A dream begun. Thousands of miles mean s**t. Just walk.

Rain Man
02-28-2004, 13:40
Anyone who takes steps on AT is a legend. ...

I want to agree with L. Wolf on this one. When I first saw this thread, I almost voted for myself as a trail legend, but I thought that might be misunderstood as too pompous or flippant.

But I think ordinary folks are trail legends in their own right. Everybody has his/her own story.

Right on, L. Wolf!

Rain Man