PDA

View Full Version : Hikers/Backpackers in Central VA area

Thoughtful Owl
11-28-2007, 13:31
Would love to hear from other hikers and backpackers in the central (Lynchburg) VA area. We have the Natural Bridge Trail Club in the area but I know there has to others out there who are not members and yet like to get out.

Press
11-28-2007, 22:24
Thoughtful Owl, what's your favorite stretch of trail in Central VA?

Thoughtful Owl
11-29-2007, 13:31
Thoughtful Owl, what's your favorite stretch of trail in Central VA?

I would probably have to say Salt Log Gap over to Montebello. or for an overnighter from Long Mountain Wayside over to Montebello or to the fish hatchery.

What about you?

Press
11-29-2007, 23:54
yeah, I would agree with you on that area. The headwaters of the Piney (or Tye?) just north of Wolf Rocks along there is pretty awesome, and would be even more so if all the hemlock trees weren't dead or dying. Still a real wonderland around there though.

I also like Matt's Creek area from the James River south.

Thoughtful Owl
11-30-2007, 11:25
Yeah, the only problem with the Matts Creek area is the over use.

Do you have any hikes planned for the near future?

Frau
12-03-2007, 01:17
Rockbridge Co. hiker here. I started the Outdoor Adventure Club at the school where I teach to get the kids OUT into the National Forest that surrounds us.

Frau
Glasgow

Thoughtful Owl
12-03-2007, 10:20
Cool Frau! What do the do, take field trips and study ecology, forestry, etc. What level of school are we talking elementary, middle, high school? Do they get class credit? I have had scouts upon entering college, study to become conservation officers & foresters.

juma
12-11-2007, 08:46
Owl - do you think it is possible to get up to the AT from the parkway by following that stream up to lovingstone spring near the south end of the lovingstone spring trail? Just wondered if you ever reconned that area.

juma

Thoughtful Owl
12-11-2007, 10:19
Owl - do you think it is possible to get up to the AT from the parkway by following that stream up to lovingstone spring near the south end of the lovingstone spring trail? Just wondered if you ever reconned that area.

juma

Not really. You would have to do a lot of bush wacking across private & fenced property or a lot of road walking. My recommendation would be a shuttle to the lower end of the Lovingston Spring Trail via state rt 634, Coffey Town Road. This isn't to far from the Parkway. You can then pickup the trail head and hike on the LST until it connects to the AT near the Seeley-Woodworth Shelter over near Montebello.

Hope this was a help.

juma
12-11-2007, 14:51
Not really. You would have to do a lot of bush wacking across private & fenced property or a lot of road walking. My recommendation would be a shuttle to the lower end of the Lovingston Spring Trail via state rt 634, Coffey Town Road. This isn't to far from the Parkway. You can then pickup the trail head and hike on the LST until it connects to the AT near the Seeley-Woodworth Shelter over near Montebello.

Hope this was a help.

thanks, I'll look at the map tonite.

Spyrocklodge
07-16-2011, 18:04
Rockfish gap to Montebello fish hatchery road (if you have 5 days to burn)