PDA

View Full Version : Insole swapping. It works, it really does.

Jenab
11-28-2007, 17:33
Hey fellows, try this and see if I'm not on to something.

Montrail Hardrock. Good, but a little archy for most folks. And with the insole in there, the front mesh crinkles down on my toes as I push off. It's a better shoe without an insole because you need that extra 1/16 inch of vertical clearance at the toe. Or, anyway, I do.

Merrell Passage Ventilator. Good, but too flat inside, and that doggone flat closed cell foam insole that Merrell puts in there just doesn't help any. So I took out the Merrell insoles and put the Hardrock insoles in, and man these Passage shoes are now the best I have.

The Merrell insoles are now in a pair of Montrail Kalaharis that I used to wear. The insoles from the Kalaharis are now in a pair of GBX oxfords.

I guess I better go for a walk now.

Deb
11-28-2007, 19:19
Agree!
Basic insoles are not the greatest.
But there's enough variation in them that I have swapped all of mine around to fit me better.

Summit
11-28-2007, 19:44
When buying new hiking shoes, I always wear my double-socks (polypro liners and Thorlo Wool outer). When you think you've made your mind up on the shoe you want, ask the sales person to let you try some of the Spenco or Superfeet insoles with the new shoe. If the store is customer oriented they will already have some of these insoles open for trying out. The insoles that come in even the best brand and most expensive shoes/boots are sub-par. It's a shame we have to spend that kind of money and then spend some more to get decent insoles, but that's the way it is! :eek: ;)

take-a-knee
11-28-2007, 19:53
It has been my experience that aftermarket insoles are a real improvement ususally by providing more cushion. I've had good luck with sorbothane, my daughter likes superfeet. I've found that they usually require a larger (wider) shoe.

Summit
11-28-2007, 20:47
I've found that they usually require a larger (wider) shoe.Yep, I forgot to - meant to mention that. Don't be afraid to go a half-size larger than you normally wear, but again, make sure you're wearing your hiking socks setup and if after you insert the insole that feels best for you, the boot feels a little tight, go a half size larger and try that.

wrongway_08
11-28-2007, 21:39
I swap out all my insoles, in all my shoes/boots with the full gel insoles. They cost about $11.00 each and work great for my feet.

Tinker
11-29-2007, 02:02
I bought some Chaco boots on sale a few years ago. They proved to be just a little short, but they came with great carbon fiber looking (probably just plastic) molded insoles. I like them better than the Superfeet insoles I had used for years. The shoes came with two pair. I am still using them, currently in my Keen sandals.

If you have flat feet, ask a salesperson if you can try some of the upscale aftermarket insoles.

Absolutely a must try for most and a must buy for folks like me.

baxter
11-29-2007, 09:38
-Yeah, it's because of forums like these, that I learned about Spenco insoles, last year. I never backpack without them now.

Summit
11-29-2007, 11:28
I think there are plenty of good gel insoles (like Spenco) under $20. The $30-$45 insoles are overkill for me, even though they may be a little better than the cheaper ones.