PDA

View Full Version : Butane Lighters

Bob S
11-28-2007, 20:43
I have read numerous articles, & web page reviews and books of alternative fire starters. Many of them talk about butane lighters running dry, breaking or melting down.

I have been camping for over 30-years. In all this time I have never had so much as a single problem with lighters. I love toys as much as the next guy. I have several fire-starting toys (Swiss Steel, Magnesium bar, Waterproof matches & a few others.)

Over the last year or so I have been asking other campers about butane lighters. No one has ever said they experienced a failure. I am becoming convinced that this problem is so overblown in articles and on bulletin boards by gear-freaks that love to play with alternative ways to make fire. I’m one of these gear-freaks that loves neat and different things to play with (you should see all the camping stuff on shelves in my basement.) But I am also sold on simple, reliable & proven ways to do something.

When camping I always have 3-lighters with me and a few other ways to make a fire (The latest being a neat thing called a fire-piston. I saw it used on Survivor-Man) But other then to practice making fire in weird and unusual ways I use the lighters. For their size, weight & ease of use I don’t see anything else that gives you what they do.

I was just wondering what experiences others have had with butane lighters and what kinds of other fire making methods and toys you use. Have any of you had a real problem with butane lighters?

PS

You know you are a “World Class Fire Bug” when you save drier-lint. My 17-year old son thought I was nuts when he found a Zip Lock bag of it sitting on top of the dryer. I showed him how well it worked and he said it was cool (He’s an up & coming fire bug... LOL) So far he hasn’t burned down the X-Wife’s house, but it’s only been a few months since his awaking…

mudhead
11-28-2007, 20:50
I have broken a Bic by dropping it.

Sidelined a Bic by dropping it in water.

Had them fill with fuzz.

Stop working for no apparent reason.

Fine product. Now crank that font up for us blind folk. Search "Steel wool"

for some fun pyro reading!

Tipi Walter
11-28-2007, 20:51
I think the people that knock Bic lighters have Neanderthal Fever, a peculiar ailment that requires a grown man to puff up about his fire making skills and general woodsmanship.

Skidsteer
11-28-2007, 20:57
Never had a safety issue with a butane lighter.

Fuzz temporarily stumped me one time though.

Marta
11-28-2007, 21:27
I have lighter issues often. I keep carrying them because occasionally I can get one to work.

1) If my hands are cold at all, I can't get lighters to strike.

2) If it's damp at all outside, I can't get them to strike.

3) Sometimes they don't seem to work for any reason I can detect.

4) I thought I had it made when I found one with an electronic ignition in Goreham, NH. Then in Pennsylvania it suddenly started shocking my thumb instead of lighting.

I love matches.

Don H
11-28-2007, 23:34
I had two of the mini bics fail on my last section hike and had to go to my back up matches. The full sized lighters that allow you to see the amount of fuel left in them seem to be more reliable so now I carry one full size and a few matches.

Tipi Walter
11-28-2007, 23:48
Does anyone remove the metal safety thing before taking out and using their Bic? Just wondering:)

I take two regular size with me, both buried deep in a ditty bag in the pack, but before I leave I shine a flashlight behind each one to see how much fuel is left. I also wrap all the dental floss I'll need around them and fix with a bandaid. When you want some floss, unwrap and cut it with the Bic.

In the old days I would get them wet, my own fault since I carried them in wet pockets or stashed them where they'd get wet. They are a survival item like a down bag and I can keep them dry 99% of the time.

Bob S
11-28-2007, 23:53
I’ve had problems with matches not wanting to light to the point of the white tip wearing off. Or lighting and going out just as I’m about to touch it to the tinder. I always have them with me, but the lighter is what I grab when I want a fire.

warraghiyagey
11-28-2007, 23:58
Never had a problem with my lighter. Carry one book of matches in a ziploc but have never needed them.

SweetAss03
11-29-2007, 00:01
Well, this might just be the post I'm looking for... First things first, I used the same bic lighter my entire AT hike, still have it, still works. I use it now for fun and have a back up until it dies.

What I really want to know though is this... Does anyone have a LIGHT MY FIRE SL3 KNIFE YET? What is your take? I'm thinking of asking my wife for one for X-Mas. I would of course get rid of the trusty swiss army knife that I've had for years, but the flint would work as a good back up. I looked at the knife a couple of days ago at REI and I must say that my first thought was that it was bigger than I wanted. However I still find myself daydreaming about getting one.

If you have one...throw your 2 cents in.

SweetAss

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 00:07
Have you folks seen these new LED refillable lighters? I love these things.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/LED%20Butane%20Lighter/LEDButanelighter002.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/LED%20Butane%20Lighter/LEDButanelighter001.jpg

warraghiyagey
11-29-2007, 00:09
A light on a lighter? Weird.

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 00:13
A light on a lighter? Weird.

Yeah, it suits me.

Chache
11-29-2007, 00:15

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/LED%20Butane%20Lighter/LEDButanelighter002.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/LED%20Butane%20Lighter/LEDButanelighter001.jpg

WOW I want one. Where are they sold?

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 00:19
WOW I want one. Where are they sold?

Started seeing them in convenience stores scattered through the South about a year ago. The first ones were simple push button switches that had to be held down but lately I've been finding ones like in the photo that have an actual on/off switch. Pretty good light too!

Kangaroo is a convenience chain I see them in fairly regularly.

Farr Away
11-29-2007, 00:23
I've had a lighter refuse to light. (I had a backup.)

I also couldn't get one of the safety lighters to work until I finally pulled off the metal safety clip. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Bob S
11-29-2007, 00:33
I had a heart attack a few months ago (doing very well now) and I take a walk almost every night. About 2-weeks ago I was walking through a parking lot and saw a lighter on the ground. It has an LED light built into it. It works great, it’s brighter then you would think for such a small thing.

EWS
11-29-2007, 02:12
I always pull that metal thing off the thumb wheel too.

I stick with Bics, as the generic lighters are a crap shoot and junk most of the time. I won't say I've never had one fail, though when they do it cause they're older, but I've never had two fail at the same time.

You can dry Bics out rather quickly, shake the poop out of them, blow through the side of them, and wear your thumb out for a few minutes.

Tinker
11-29-2007, 02:20
The only problems I've ever had with butane lighters are:

1) You can get the strikers wet and they won't spark.

2) It can look like you have plenty of fluid available, but there isn't enough pressure to push it out.

3) When it gets VERY cold, they won't light unless you keep them warm.

I got a Windmill refillable lighter which delivers a flame like a propane torch and has an electronic ignition. It's a little heavy but has never let me down.
(I still carry a book of matches just in case I lose it, step on it, or find some other way to break it).

NICKTHEGREEK
11-29-2007, 07:14
Real arsonists carry Zippos. When Aliens dig one up 3 billion years from now they'll believe "Zippo Bradford PA" is the God of Fire.

EWS
11-29-2007, 08:19
and a bottle of fluid and spare flints too.

rpettit
11-29-2007, 13:36
Never had a problem with butane lighters on the trail. I use the see through type with an adjustable flame. Great for torching the surface of cold denatured alcohol to start the vaporization process. I carry it in a ziplock with other personal items, stays clean and dry. I replace it when the fluid is about 1/4 full. I usually hike with another person who has a lighter, so no back up is needed. If I hike by myself I just carry 2. 1 lighter = thousands of matches.

dessertrat
11-29-2007, 13:59
I always carry a bic lighter as my first line, and matches as a back up.

Think of it this way: Bic lighters are primarily designed to be used by those who smoke cigarettes. A smoker who has cigarettes but no light is about as unhappy a guy as you will ever find. Yet I don't know any smoker who carries a "backup" fire source. Granted, he is not out in the woods, and can probably bum a light if he runs into trouble.

But the bottom line is this: if Bic lighters were so unreliable, smokers wouldn't carry them.

partinj
11-29-2007, 14:18
Hey Chache if you want one Kmart has them in the camping dept.

rpettit
11-29-2007, 15:00
I always carry a bic lighter as my first line, and matches as a back up.

Think of it this way: Bic lighters are primarily designed to be used by those who smoke cigarettes. A smoker who has cigarettes but no light is about as unhappy a guy as you will ever find. Yet I don't know any smoker who carries a "backup" fire source. Granted, he is not out in the woods, and can probably bum a light if he runs into trouble.

But the bottom line is this: if Bic lighters were so unreliable, smokers wouldn't carry them.

Very astute observation. I used to be one of those unhappy guys before I quit smoking. If my BIC ran out of fuel, I was first stunned because it didn't light. Then the panic set in.

zelph
11-29-2007, 15:35

I was just wondering what experiences others have had with butane lighters and what kinds of other fire making methods and toys you use. Have any of you had a real problem with butane lighters?

PS

You know you are a “World Class Fire Bug” when you save drier-lint. My 17-year old son thought I was nuts when he found a Zip Lock bag of it sitting on top of the dryer. I showed him how well it worked and he said it was cool (He’s an up & coming fire bug... LOL) So far he hasn’t burned down the X-Wife’s house, but it’s only been a few months since his awaking…

There you havit bobS. Testimonies from a few that said there is a problem. I used one today that would'nt shut off.

Hypothermia will get ya when your Bic least expects it. When you've fallen creekside in 40 degree weather and your bic is wet and you're going into stage two of hypothermia. If you smoke, dying by hypothermia may be your best way to die. The shivering will stop, you'll close your eyes and never wake up.

The good news is that we are never going to get into an emergency situation on well used trails.

Today, I had a bic not want to shut off. What the hey!!!!! What's that all about???? Did I have some that malfunctioned? Yes.

Panzer1
11-29-2007, 16:14

Yea, where do you get those. I would like to give them to smokers for Christmas.

Panzer

pure_mahem
11-29-2007, 18:30
Flashlight lighter is pretty neat Skids!

As for problems with Bics I've smoked for ten yearss and had my share of problems with them. Usually problem lies in the first use, I always check to make sure it works before I left the store. I removed that stupid metal thingy as soon as I got something in my hand I could pry it out with, I never broke one by doing that. If I was using it for hiking I always bought a white one so I could see the fuel level easily. Other problems I've encountered from Bic brand lighters would include pocket lint, going through the washer, dropping in a mud puddle, and running out of fluid. If you manage to hang onto for a long time the flint may run out but that's unusual, I would usuall take a flint from a bic and put it in a Zippo because they seem to last longer. Any problems I've usually had with them is easily fixed by buying another one. Usually pocet lint can be blown or picked out. Being wet you can usually get to work again after they have dried for a while or by drying it out and lighting it with another flame source. Over all pretty reliable. I've even been able to get an empty one to light just rub it on your pants and in your hands to heat it up and you can usually get at least one last light if not five or six out of it. Tricks most (ex)smokers/borderline pyromaniacs know.

Bob S
11-29-2007, 18:44
For years I always had a Zippo lighter. But once I dropped it when fishing and it got water-logged and was useless till I got home and let it set for several days. If you drop a bic lighter all you have to do is blow on it for a few min and it’s up and running again.

I don’t like the idea of a throw-away World (Bic lighters are part of this.) but they offer you thousands of lights and are more reliable then anything else, results being more important, I left the Zippo in the dust and embraced the new fangled butane lighters.

Chache
11-29-2007, 18:46
Thanks, I will get one tomarrow

Critterman
11-29-2007, 19:07
I left the Zippo in the dust and embraced the new fangled butane lighters.

I hear you but there is something about lighting a smoke from a zippo. Maybe its the click of the cover, I don't know.

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 19:10
Yea, where do you get those. I would like to give them to smokers for Christmas.

Panzer

Started seeing them in convenience stores scattered through the South about a year ago. The first ones were simple push button switches that had to be held down but lately I've been finding ones like in the photo that have an actual on/off switch. Pretty good light too!

Kangaroo is a convenience chain I see them in fairly regularly.

I'll try a google when I get a chance. They are surprisingly bright lights for a $1.50 item.

I always carry one in my pocket. Great for finding your seat in a dark movie theatre, etc.

oldfivetango
11-29-2007, 22:43
Lighters can EXPLODE if the plastic case is compromised(like from a
welding spark) or excessive heat or leaks etc.I still use them but am
careful.I light a candle and then my alcohol unless I have a longneck
grill lighter.But that's just me as I really value having two good hands.
Oldfivetango

Skidsteer
11-29-2007, 22:47
Lighters can EXPLODE if the plastic case is compromised
Oldfivetango

Ever had it happen to you?

gaga
11-29-2007, 23:18
if you have a BIC and up on the metal side you can`t see engraved Made in France BIC trow it and buy one of this:D http://www.elighters.com/lighters-sillem-s-of-germany-sterling-silver-lighters.html

Two Speed
11-29-2007, 23:31
if you have a BIC and up on the metal side you can`t see engraved Made in France BIC trow it and buy one of this:D http://www.elighters.com/lighters-sillem-s-of-germany-sterling-silver-lighters.htmlYep, can't hardly wait to run right out and blow better than $200 on a lighter.

EWS
11-29-2007, 23:34
Yep, can't hardly wait to run right out and blow better than $200 on a lighter.Cheapskate, buy one of the $250 models, or buy lifetimes' supplies of Bics for the whole family.

Bob S
11-30-2007, 00:41
Lighters can EXPLODE if the plastic case is compromised(like from a
welding spark)

I was worried about just that thing the last time I was tent camping, Next time I think I will leave my Lincoln welder home….

JoeHiker
12-03-2007, 19:43
Ever had it happen to you?

When I was a kid I used to make it happen intentionally. I remember holding one bic lighter up to the case of another one until it burned a hole through and exploded. We thought it was cool.

How I still have all my fingers and both eyes is a mystery to me. I'm living proof that fortune sometimes smiles on a fool, Darwin or no Darwin.