PDA

View Full Version : Flasks

Lakes
11-29-2007, 09:32
Does anybody have any recommendations for transporting some beautiful 18 year old scotch in the woods? I want the container to be light but I don't want any sort of residual affect, thats why I'm thinking stainless steel instead of plastic. Also, it seems like the typical old school flask probably weighs as much as the liquid its containing. I'm considering a 12 oz. kleanKanteen. Does anybody have any better suggestions?

gold bond
11-29-2007, 09:39
I have always used a one liter colapsable nalgene. It looks like a palatapus. All in all it seems to work well but I don't carry annything as nice as a 18 YO Scotch!

DAKS
11-29-2007, 09:41
i just use the nalgene lexan flask. never had any problem with it tainting a good 18yr. the light msr type fuel bottles work well also.

DAKS
11-29-2007, 09:44
the platypus containers work just fine also with one exception. once i was hiking behind a friend and found his aftershave to be quite offensive. once in camp, it turns out something actually punctured the platy! bummer, wasted bourbon!

Uncle Silly
11-29-2007, 09:45
If you're out for only a few days, or even a couple of weeks, take the old-school flask (if you already have one); the slight extra weight won't kill you, and you won't need to buy anything new. If you're thinking about equipment for a thruhike (or even a long section), I'd say forget the 18-year scotch and go with something cheap, carried in a plastic soda bottle.

What kind of trip are you looking at?

envirodiver
11-29-2007, 11:23
Does anybody have any recommendations for transporting some beautiful 18 year old scotch in the woods? I want the container to be light but I don't want any sort of residual affect, thats why I'm thinking stainless steel instead of plastic. Also, it seems like the typical old school flask probably weighs as much as the liquid its containing. I'm considering a 12 oz. kleanKanteen. Does anybody have any better suggestions?

I recommend that you send it to me, and I'll bring it to you. I promise.

Jim Adams
11-29-2007, 11:38
i just use the nalgene lexan flask. never had any problem with it tainting a good 18yr. the light msr type fuel bottles work well also.

I have several old school flasks and the nalgene. The nalgene is totally thought out for backpacking. The lid is a shot glass and the slide in case lets it slip into and out of your pack water bottle spots very easy and handy.
I have also used the slide in case to collect water from very shallow sources.

Now if they could just make it in the 5 gallon size!:D

geek

sarbar
11-29-2007, 11:45
A good way to avoid any cross smells is to make sure your flask is well cleaned before use :) I'd hedge for the metal or Lexan one. Scrub it up good with a gentle sopa, rinse well then air dry and leave the container open till time to fill and leave :)

Alligator
11-29-2007, 14:47
I've used a cheapie flask that leaked.

I used the GSI Flask. Still a little leaky and not quite as large as I wanted.

I've use a platypus. Light, collapsible, but a little tippy and a little hard to pour.

I've use a regular Nalgene. Heavier, too big.

I looked into titanium flasks but never found one the right size.

I just bought a Sigg Oval Flask (http://www.gearforadventure.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Siggblueoval&click=27). It holds 600 mls but it weighs 6.7 oz. I really like the shape and look of it. It's SS and I think it is coated inside also. It's definitely sturdy but it's not Ultralight. There are other Sigg bottles that are lighter, they look a lot like the one you were interested in.

That 12 oz KleanKanteen weighs 4 oz, if you hadn't seen the weight.

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2007, 15:15
Geez, how long are you hiking and how long are you expecting this stuff to last?

Considering the scotch will be gone in a few days, I'd pour it into a clean Gatorade or juice bottle, which is cheaper and lots lighter than a metal or plastic flask.

Over a few days.....or even longer, there is no "residual" affect from plastic packaging, which is, in fact, probably safe for months on end or even longer. Lots of folks, like Jim Beam, etc. have sold their product in plastic "flask" sized bottles for years.

There's no reason your single malt can't be transported the same way.

Now how long will it take some wiseass to let Lakes know that I'm something of an authority on this subject? :D

Tin Man
11-29-2007, 15:24
Now how long will it take some wiseass to let Lakes know that I'm something of an authority on this subject? :D

Actually Jack, I may have you beat. Sorry, but cheap plastic is not the answer for good scotch. Jim Beam - who cares. 18 year old single malt carries very well in Nalgene and it is NOT too big. :D

mrc237
11-29-2007, 15:30
Geez, how long are you hiking and how long are you expecting this stuff to last?

Considering the scotch will be gone in a few days, I'd pour it into a clean Gatorade or juice bottle, which is cheaper and lots lighter than a metal or plastic flask.

Over a few days.....or even longer, there is no "residual" affect from plastic packaging, which is, in fact, probably safe for months on end or even longer. Lots of folks, like Jim Beam, etc. have sold their product in plastic "flask" sized bottles for years.

Bottlesniffers!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Alligator
11-29-2007, 15:38
Now how long will it take some wiseass to let Lakes know that I'm something of an authority on this subject? :DNoted, but now I can't figure out why your pack is allegedly so heavy if you are putting your spirits into plastic:D . I'd always thought it was those big glass bottles:confused: .

I say too big on the Nalgene but it's a relative term Tin Man. With a 750ml, a one liter Nalgene is 25% empty, that's all. If you are filling from a 1.9l bottle, than you might as well fill that Nalgene up:) .

Tin Man
11-29-2007, 15:48
I say too big on the Nalgene but it's a relative term Tin Man. With a 750ml, a one liter Nalgene is 25% empty, that's all. If you are filling from a 1.9l bottle, than you might as well fill that Nalgene up:) .

I am sure there are numerous solutions to this problem. Try this one sometime: buy two 750ml bottles and fill the Nalgene to the brim. At the beginning of your hike, give a toast to your hike with 250ml from the remains, hopefully with a friend, and leave the remaining 250ml in your car to celebrate the end of your hike. If this puts you over the legal drinking age, have someone sober drive or wait until you can pass a breathalyzer. Enjoy and drink responsibly.

What's your pleasure in the single malt category?

weary
11-29-2007, 15:58

My favorite bourbons don't come in plastic. But occasionally I break down and buy some cheap stuff in plastic, so I have a fresh plastic container for the good stuff on the trail.

I figure that if it comes from the factory with booze in it, it may be better than an empty soda bottle. What do I do with the cheap whiskey? My wife likes ginger ale in her drinks so I tell her that this is special stuff designed especially to be mixed with soda.

Weary

dessertrat
11-29-2007, 16:02
A plastic bottle does not impart a taste to the liquor. Go ahead and put your fancy scotch in plastic soda or liquor bottle.

J5man
11-29-2007, 16:06
Just put it in your Camelbak in lieu of water and at the end of the day you won't care what any of the above posts suggest!

Alligator
11-29-2007, 16:07
I am sure there are numerous solutions to this problem. Try this one sometime: buy two 750ml bottles and fill the Nalgene to the brim. At the beginning of your hike, give a toast to your hike with 250ml from the remains, hopefully with a friend, and leave the remaining 250ml in your car to celebrate the end of your hike. If this puts you over the legal drinking age, have someone sober drive or wait until you can pass a breathalyzer. Enjoy and drink responsibly.

What's your pleasure in the single malt category?Yeah hopefully with a friend LOL. We usually just split a six before we head in:) .

I prefer Irish Whiskey, and Jameson's is what I pretty much exclusively spring for. Everything else just breaks the bank:eek: . I occasionally get a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue as a Christmas present, once a 20 year old Chivas, but these aren't single malts. I have had bottles of Glenfiddich before. That's good IMO. But I can't say I've had much more expensive than that.

I'm also fond of Anejo tequila, but I prefer these in the winter. Repasados are pretty decent too.

SteveJ
11-29-2007, 16:20
I have always used a one liter colapsable nalgene. It looks like a palatapus. All in all it seems to work well but I don't carry annything as nice as a 18 YO Scotch!

I second the 1 litre platy - and I have carried 18 y.o. scotch!:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17784&catid=member&imageuser=6309

have had this flask for several years, with the push/pull top. Only had it leak once, and that was user error......

Lakes
11-30-2007, 09:23
If you're out for only a few days, or even a couple of weeks, take the old-school flask (if you already have one); the slight extra weight won't kill you, and you won't need to buy anything new. If you're thinking about equipment for a thruhike (or even a long section), I'd say forget the 18-year scotch and go with something cheap, carried in a plastic soda bottle.

What kind of trip are you looking at?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I'm looking at it in anticipation of a thru hike. I probably won't be able to do a true thru hike until '09, but until then I'd like to do several week plus hikes in preparation. Getting my pack just right and such.

I'll have to try the nalgene but I have to say I remain slightly skeptical. I know I'm probably just being snotty, but drinking decent scotch out of a nalgene or platy just seems kind of wrong. But everyone seems to agree that plastic doesn't affect the taste so I'll have to give it a shot. That will be one of my first hiking queries. If I was just carrying Jack or Beam those airplane bottles seem ideal, but we're talking good scotch. And yes, I believe in sharing... grudgingly. :)