PDA

View Full Version : Running Shoes OK on AT?

Hungry
11-29-2007, 12:08
A question for the group here, and I'm sure there are other posts on the matter, but I figured I would get some fresh opinions.

I have used boots and low cut hiking shoes in the past, but being an avid runner, I really love my Asics 2000 series running shoes. I've never had any problems with blisters, etc.

So, my question is, would they be okay on the trail. I'm sure they would wear out faster, but what about traction, getting wet, etc. Anybody else just use a running shoe and not a trail runner specific shoe?

Thanks for the feedback.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 12:11
as long as you have strong ankles and keep pack weight down you'll have no problem. lots of folks hike in running shoes

txulrich
11-29-2007, 12:17
A question for the group here, and I'm sure there are other posts on the matter, but I figured I would get some fresh opinions.

I have used boots and low cut hiking shoes in the past, but being an avid runner, I really love my Asics 2000 series running shoes. I've never had any problems with blisters, etc.

So, my question is, would they be okay on the trail. I'm sure they would wear out faster, but what about traction, getting wet, etc. Anybody else just use a running shoe and not a trail runner specific shoe?

Thanks for the feedback.

The dynamics of the shoe will change when you add weight. You may still not get blisters, but you may. My ankles aren't as strong any more, so I will always use a boot that provides a fair amount of support. I will even wear them when the load is light, because I don't want to get out in the woods and have an event. YMMV.

My advice is to go out in a somewhat controlled environment (not to far from transportation) and try your shoes out. You may also find a chance to experiment with hiking poles as well. I have heard that they have saved some people from a twist or a sprain. Again, YMMV.

Just a Hiker
11-29-2007, 12:26
I did the 100 Mile wilderness earlier this month in a pair of New Balance 806's. They did pretty good, but I did do some slipping and sliding on wet granite.

Just Jim

dessertrat
11-29-2007, 12:28
I did the 100 Mile wilderness earlier this month in a pair of New Balance 806's. They did pretty good, but I did do some slipping and sliding on wet granite.

Just Jim

And I've done some slipping and sliding there in hiking boots, especially in the morning, before the dew burns off the rocks. Not sure it would have been different in running shoes, which I think I will wear next time.

Marta
11-29-2007, 12:28
There's quite a bit of variation in the "stickiness" of the soles of running shoes.
Softer and stickier=better grip, but wear out more quickly.
Harder=longer-wearing but slippier.

BTW, by law tires in the UK are much softer and stickier than tires in the US, to deal with the frequent drizzly weather. When we were living there, us Yanks were shocked to have our tired wear out at 30,000 miles, but that's normal.

Just a Hiker
11-29-2007, 12:43
And I've done some slipping and sliding there in hiking boots, especially in the morning, before the dew burns off the rocks. Not sure it would have been different in running shoes, which I think I will wear next time.

The slipping and sliding I did was different than if I had a shoe with Vibram Soles. My New Balance shoes have a really hard sole and seemed more slippery on wet rocks and snow. By the way, I put "Super Feet" in them and they did well on sharp rocks.

Summit
11-29-2007, 13:16
The old myth that distance backpacking REQUIRES heavy, high-top, leather boots has been busted! But keep in mind that we all have different bodies, different feet, and what works well for me may not work quite so well for you.

I started with 2 1/2 pound per foot heavy leather high top boots 34 years ago. I have gradually migrated to low top, mostly fabric/mesh hiking shoes. I would at least advocate a light-weight, low top hiking shoe. I think whether or not you go a step further to a trail running shoe is something you have to test and see if it works for you.

I have had less stumbles/falls since going to less protection on my feet because I am more careful now. If you must blaze along at 4 miles per hour then you should probably opt for more foot/ankle protection.

soulrebel
11-30-2007, 19:55
we hiked in the asics 2100's since it's our primary running shoe as well. One of our hiking friends used the same gt 2100's as well. Changed them out every 600 miles or so. Did the snow and ice in them.

Often times we'd jump into rivers near the end of the day and get all the heat/dirt off wearing shoes and the shoes would dry out again with 20mins of walking. Loose the laces around camp or go barefoot.

running shoes---ooh ahh

hopefulhiker
11-30-2007, 20:24
The only thing is you might get a good stiff pair of insoles to go in the shoes..

Pedaling Fool
11-30-2007, 20:30
Some hike barefoot, so to them running shoes are too much. The body can adapt.

Spock
11-30-2007, 20:56
I love Asics and did about 400 miles in them this year. They were close to the best I used on the AT this year. Good grip and toe-off.

bullseye
11-30-2007, 21:03
The slipping and sliding I did was different than if I had a shoe with Vibram Soles. My New Balance shoes have a really hard sole and seemed more slippery on wet rocks and snow. By the way, I put "Super Feet" in them and they did well on sharp rocks.

I've had the same experience in my 806's. They wear great, but are very (VERY:eek: ) slippery on wet rock. I rarely slip or fall since I went to trekking poles 3 years ago. I also put superfeet in mine and can say I wouldn't go bsck to heavy boots. Ankle support is overrated in boots, as the boot would have to be fit reasonably tight (think hockey skate) to offer any real support. If you doubt this try putting on a pair of heavy hiking boots, load on your pack, and then stand with just the outside edge of your boot on a step or low curb and see how much support you feel. The reality is they will offer only very minor support, and it's more of a matter of actual ankle strength. If you are carrying a heavy pack or have tender feet then you may have trouble with Plantar Fasciitis, or possible stress fractures with running shoes, but by and large most people who hike in runners with moderate loads in reasonable condition don't have any problems out of the ordinary. Personally, I find that I went from 10-12 miles being a big day to 15-20 miles being an average day without any additional pain or discomfort.:D

Frau
11-30-2007, 22:15
I have hiked my 600+ miles this year in several different pair: North Face low-cut, Gore-tx; Hi-Tech boots; Nike Air-Shox Junga--being the top three. By far my most comfortable shoes are the Nikes. I don't notice my feet with them on (can't say that for the other footwear) and the flexibility and grip are perfect for me. They are great trail runners. My only complaint is that the wind goes right through them in the winter.

Summit
12-01-2007, 00:05
My only complaint is that the wind goes right through them in the winter.You might consider switching to goretex socks for winter time.

Tennessee Viking
12-01-2007, 01:33
You will need something with ankle support and plenty of traction. Anything that slips on wet rock or ground is not good.

Summit
12-01-2007, 07:52
I agree with bullseye that high top boots do not provide value-add in supporting ankles, or at least not enough to make me endure the discomfort that comes with them. My philosophy - wear comfortable shoes and walk more carefully, which may mean slowing your pace down a little bit, which may mean seeing and enjoying more! ;) :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2007, 08:05
Unless you have ortho issues, trailrunners are a good option for the AT. I do have some ortho issues and my doc says mid-tops are the least I should use - but I do as well or better in runners except on uneven rocks (when the rocking and rolling makes my ankle turn into a grapefruit-sized ball). I've discovered that by using a lacing brace (http://www.countrforce.com/laceanklebrace.html), I can still use trailrunners and may never go back to boots for summer wear.

CoyoteWhips
12-01-2007, 09:52
In the face of the ongoing controversy between trainers and boots -- and some people like sandles and even bare feet -- I'm pretty sure you should avoid open-toe strappy high-heels.

gumball
12-01-2007, 10:15
Avid runner also, switched to runners several years ago and haven't looked back. I use trail runners, not street runners tho, b/c I believe the traction and the support is much more suited than the flat bottom of a road running shoe.

I keep my weight under 30lbs, and I never use shoes from the trail to run or vice versa--as previously stated, the trail will wear your runners differently and I have found that if I try to run in a pair I hiked a long distance in, I get shin splints. The additional weight and wear and tear requires I change them out more frequently to keep my feet safe and healthy, as to enjoy both recreations.

bullseye
12-01-2007, 10:15
In the face of the ongoing controversy between trainers and boots -- and some people like sandles and even bare feet -- I'm pretty sure you should avoid open-toe strappy high-heels.

Definitely not open toe!!!!!!:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2007, 10:18
In the face of the ongoing controversy between trainers and boots -- and some people like sandles and even bare feet -- I'm pretty sure you should avoid open-toe strappy high-heels.::: Dino contemplates photoshopping CoyoteWhips into high-heel, strappy, open-toed footwear :D :::

CoyoteWhips
12-01-2007, 14:05
::: Dino contemplates photoshopping CoyoteWhips into high-heel, strappy, open-toed footwear :D :::

Sadly, the website of me wearing pretty shoes never caught on.

The best wooly socks I've found cost about $10 a pair. This time of year, I think I can live with the cheapest shoes, if my feet are warm.

horicon
12-01-2007, 15:03
I think not.
!!!!

ozt42
12-01-2007, 16:13
I used to hike in running shoes before age and weight forced me to look for more ankle support and stiffer soles.

If the trail surface is less than smooth the soles of your feet tend to get a little more beat up.

mudhead
12-01-2007, 18:43
::: Dino contemplates photoshopping CoyoteWhips into high-heel, strappy, open-toed footwear :D :::

Do it. Burn my eyes.

Summit
12-01-2007, 19:45
I used to hike in running shoes before age and weight forced me to look for more ankle support and stiffer soles.

If the trail surface is less than smooth the soles of your feet tend to get a little more beat up.I'm going south while I guess you're going north! :p

The older I get, the less shoe I seem to want. Guess it is anatomically unique for each of us. BTW, I just went to REI today with my lite-weight Merrills on and my hiking sock setup so I could get some new Spenco insoles, and while inserting one in my Merrill shoes that I got last May (two hikes - about 100 miles on them) I noticed the toe was becoming slightly unlaminated. I brought this to the salesperson's attention and long story short, they replaced them with a brand new, new year model pair of Merrill Moab Ventilators. All I can say is the expression my wife hates: Cool beans! :D

ozt42
12-02-2007, 12:32
i am rather backwards, the older I get the heavier my pack gets. My section this year convinced me to trade my ridgerest for my first inflatable pad. Another 6-8 oz. :D

Summit
12-02-2007, 19:40
After a couple days walking 3 miles a day, I'm very pleased with these Merrill Moab Ventilators:

http://www.rei.com/product/748515#ReviewHeader

I got the navy blue ones. They wear like a running shoe but have Vibram soles! ;)

Colter
12-02-2007, 20:20
I started out with a pair of trail runners on the AT, which worked fine. Then I hiked in a regular pair of running shoes, which worked fine, too, until the rocky country of PA or thereabouts. Then I switched to hiking shoes because they were more comfortable on my feet with the stiffer soles fending off the rocks.

Summit
12-02-2007, 20:34
If you read down thru the reviews on my Merrill Moabs, one guy said he did the 210 mile John Muir Trail in them and they worked very well. Having done that trail in 1977, I can tell you these shoes must have passed the rocky terrain test for this guy! ;)