PDA

View Full Version : Are You determined?

maxNcathy
11-29-2007, 12:21
Fellow Hikers,
How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance? What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home? How will you make your hike fun?
How many months have you set aside for this hike?

Sandalwood

Dakota Dan
11-29-2007, 12:26
Fellow Hikers,
How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year.....
Sandalwood

Not at all. but might reconsider if Leike comes up with a 4-legged hiker/walker.

Just a Hiker
11-29-2007, 12:35
Fellow Hikers,
How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance? What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home? How will you make your hike fun?

Sandalwood

If you begin a thru-hike, and at some point you want to quit, here is my advice, but of course this advice is only if money isn't your issue.......Hike to the nearest "Trail Town" and check into a motel, and take a couple of days to get your head on straight. Eat some good meals, watch a little TV, call home, socialize with other hikers, and generally get your S**t together. 9 times out of 10 you'll be back on the trail in a couple of days with a new resolve and full belly!!:D

Just Jim

Sly
11-29-2007, 13:09
I don't think I ever "wanted" to quit a hike.

rafe
11-29-2007, 14:54

Interesting. So you've never thought, while hiking, "This is miserable. I'd rather be doing something else right now..." ??? Or are you saying that you manage to get through the rough spots and move on?

Speaking for myself, it seems there is almost ALWAYS a time, on ANY hike of significant duration, where I'm wanting to quit or do something else. Over the years, I've learned to "grin and bear it" until I can make it fun again. But I can pretty much bank on being miserable at some point or another on the hike.

Blissful
11-29-2007, 14:59

Excellent point. :)

Also, never quit on a rainy day.

And give yourself at least three more days.

(advice given to me by my friend Hikernutt when I pondered "quitting" in the Smokies)

emerald
11-29-2007, 15:15
I couldn't help but bite on this thread. I liked its title and participants.

The only time I thought I might quit my Georgia to Maine hike was when I thought I couldn't financially afford to continue and a BS excuse presented itself simultaneously. An experienced hiker suggested I take a few days off and sort things out. He may have known what I figured out: given time, I'd find a way to continue.

If you really want to hike the A.T. in a single hiking season, you can expect to find some obstacles in your path. Chances are good, you can find a way to get beyond them.

Kirby
11-29-2007, 15:46
I am 99% sure I will hike this coming year, and I will continue moving forward as long as it is a good thing.

Kirby

ScottP
11-29-2007, 15:53
I've never seriouly considered quitting one of my hikes.

I pretty much only get the 'Why am I doing this?" feeling after I take a day off.

Zeros are the devil!

emerald
11-29-2007, 16:04
I am 99% sure I will hike this coming year, and I will continue moving forward as long as it is a good thing.

Kirby

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by what you said, and I wonder if you do? I think completion rates aren't higher in no small part because many people have at least somewhat unrealistic expectations, but it is your hike.

I have little doubt there will be one or more times it won't be a good thing. It needn't be a hike-ending experience if you have a bad day. That's when the creativity kicks in, you will be challenged and your hike will begin to get interesting.;)

emerald
11-29-2007, 16:11
Zeros are the devil!

It was a nero that almost put an end to mine and something close to a 20 in the White Mountains that fixed it. Afterwards, I figured out what I needed to do to continue.:D

Freeleo
11-29-2007, 16:17
100 day to either finish or still be on the trail is the goal....i shall attempt to let body trail and nature dictate the pace....one day at a time....no matter how bad it might get or feel.........it will be the vacation of a lifetime.... better than what i have been doing to make the thru attempt a reality.....

:-? would anyone be willing to drive me and one companion from portmouth, NH airport to Baxter on july 21, 2008... i will pay for gas

Kirby
11-29-2007, 16:52
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by what you said, and I wonder if you do? I think completion rates aren't higher in no small part because many people have at least somewhat unrealistic expectations, but it is your hike.

I have little doubt there will be one or more times it won't be a good thing. It needn't be a hike-ending experience if you have a bad day. That's when the creativity kicks in, you will be challenged and your hike will begin to get interesting.;)

I plan to make it to Katahdin, I have nothing to do for the next 5 months of I don't. Bad days suck, and i really do not know how I will handle those, take the punches as they roll.

Kirby

Sly
11-29-2007, 16:59
Interesting. So you've never thought, while hiking, "This is miserable. I'd rather be doing something else right now..." ??? Or are you saying that you manage to get through the rough spots and move on?

I'm saying what I said. I never wanted to quit a hike. Sure there have been times of bad weather that I had to hike through, but at the end of the day, everything was fine. The alternatives to hiking, for me, are either working or sitting around. It's not a hard choice.

emerald
11-29-2007, 17:14
I plan to make it to Katahdin, I have nothing to do for the next 5 months if I don't. Bad days suck, and i really do not know how I will handle those, take the punches as they roll.

Kirby

You will figure out how to minimize what sucks and deal with it.:-? You might consider viewing those days as an opportunity.

You've spent time enough on the A.T. and in preparation to have paid the entrance fee. I'm liking your chances.

Kirby
11-29-2007, 17:19
You will figure out how to minimize what sucks and deal with it.:-? You might consider viewing those days as an opportunity.

You've spent time enough on the A.T. to have paid the entrance fee and in preparation. I'm liking your chances.

I like my chances, I need to get through mid-june, otherwise I have to go back to school and face friends who I have been telling I will walk from Georgia to Maine, and then I need to finish, otherwise I will be really bored next summer with nothing to do.

Hiking in the rain is a great experience, especially on an exposed rock with 3-40 MPH winds, nothing like it! Especially Maine style!

I hear the south is easy in contrast to Maine and NH, any truth to that rumor?

Kirby

rafe
11-29-2007, 17:22
I'm saying what I said. I never wanted to quit a hike. Sure there have been times of bad weather that I had to hike through, but at the end of the day, everything was fine.

Well, call me confused then. The things that annoy me on the trail go far beyond weather. Weather's one of several things that can mess up my attitude. Sometimes I just get cranky.

The alternatives to hiking, for me, are either working or sitting around. It's not a hard choice.Different scene here; I'm a wage-slave cubicle-rat, but I've been at it for 35+ years now so I'm kinda used to it. Counting down years-to-retirement, in fact.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 17:24

Kirby

truth.....

Kirby
11-29-2007, 17:26
truth.....

Looks like the firt part of my trip with be "A Walk In The Woods", as it is so told.:rolleyes:

To Springer,
Kirby

Blissful
11-29-2007, 17:27
I like my chances, I need to get through mid-june, otherwise I have to go back to school and face friends who I have been telling I will walk from Georgia to Maine, and then I need to finish, otherwise I will be really bored next summer with nothing to do.

Hiking in the rain is a great experience, especially on an exposed rock with 3-40 MPH winds, nothing like it! Especially Maine style!

Kirby

When you start out, nothing is easy. There is no way you are in the shape you think you are. You are hiking day in and day out. I've seen jocks start the trail real fast thinking they are in great shape and then blow out a knee. Or start after a week doing 20 miles and get shin splints. So take it as it comes and don't do high miles to start.
And NC is tough.

And hiking can get boring real fast too. So if it's boredom you are trying to avoid, thru hiking the AT won't help in that area.

rafe
11-29-2007, 17:50
And hiking can get boring real fast too. So if it's boredom you are trying to avoid, thru hiking the AT won't help in that area.

I've had people tell me with a straight face that they were never bored on their thru hikes. :-?

emerald
11-29-2007, 18:10

Kirby

Really? You haven't lived until you order yourself some of that with a side of lightning!:D

Bearpaw
11-29-2007, 19:27
Originally Posted by Kirby http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=459183#post459183)

Kirby
"truth....." (quoted from Lone Wolf)

Looks like the firt part of my trip with be "A Walk In The Woods", as it is so told.:rolleyes:

To Springer,
Kirby

Oh man, don't get your hopes up too much. Compared to southern Maine, the south IS easy, but compared to just about any other trail I've hiked, the southern AT is still fairly tough. I thru-hiked having just gotten out of several years in the Marine Corps and found Georgia through Tennessee tougher than I expected. Nothing I've hiked in Norway, Scotland, Japan, or the western U. S. approached the straight-up and straight-down and repeat of a Georgia walk along the AT.

But, yes, compared to southern Maine and (somewhat) the Whites, the southern AT is easier.

ZEKE #2
11-29-2007, 19:55
6 month LOA. April thru September. I want to make it so bad. Been to Wyoming backpacking in the Big Horns for 14 days (in my youth), been to the Porcupine Mts in Upper MI 10 days @ a crack many times. Not a lot of experience in tough terraine. But I see myself getting to ME. I've prepared my family and myself for 10 years. There comes a time that you just need to go and do it. If Grandma Gatewood can do it, so can I. I don't give up easily.

turtle fast
11-29-2007, 20:18
My 08 thru hike is fast approaching and my resolve to finnish is high. My wife and I are selling our home and quitting our careers to thru hike....therefore my resolve is high. It has to be, if even I have to crawl NOBO to Maine in a cast I would do it. Its been a lifelong dream for me an a new dream for my wife. To give up practically everything we have built up to this point in our lives, our home, our corporate managerial positions, and our large amount of stuff we have accumulated over the years is very hard. The important thing is to be happy with your life and feel satisfied with your life. Materialism is not a cure for happiness!

EWS
11-30-2007, 00:54
I really don't get worked or hyped up about anything. In that regard, I'm determined as normal about doing the trail. The only way I'll get off is if I get hurt or something better comes along. Walking through life with tunnel vision can cause one to miss many spectacular opportunities.

Idealist
11-30-2007, 08:06
Sandalwood
Thanks for asking these questions. I had not explicitly considered them previously, and developing the answers did me good.

How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance?
Very.

What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home?
I fretted about this question for a bit, until I thought about how I had handled challenges in the past. Whenever my mind starts playing tricks, I postpone making the decision and divide my challenge into smaller and smaller pieces until I find something manageable.
So if I found myself considering leaving the trail (sad thought), I would postpone the decision until a later point: a week, a day, a mile away. Once there, I would pick another, later decision point and mentally inch-worm my way down the trail until I overcame the negative thought. I have used this trick for lots of mental hurdles (biking, hiking, academics, etc.).

How will you make your hike fun?
This one is easy – hiking IS fun! But to keep ourselves interested, we are studying up on the plants, animals, geology, history, etc. of the trail to keep us engaged and interested as we hike.

We are hoping to finish in four months but have the flexibility to extend the time if needed.

sparky2000
11-30-2007, 08:20
Hike with a barefoot beauty that you enjoy barking with and the days will pass in happiness. A Shepard dog .

Bearpaw
11-30-2007, 09:08
We are hoping to finish in four months but have the flexibility to extend the time if needed.

While it is certainly possible to finish in four months, the sort of constant pressure to hike BIG BIG miles every day can wear on you, especially when nearly all the friends you make fall behind. If you enjoy running marathons, you may really enjoy such a hike though.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2007, 09:10
a thru-hike is pretty much a marathon. take 6 months

maxNcathy
11-30-2007, 11:51
Thanks for asking these questions. I had not explicitly considered them previously, and developing the answers did me good.

Very.

I fretted about this question for a bit, until I thought about how I had handled challenges in the past. Whenever my mind starts playing tricks, I postpone making the decision and divide my challenge into smaller and smaller pieces until I find something manageable.
So if I found myself considering leaving the trail (sad thought), I would postpone the decision until a later point: a week, a day, a mile away. Once there, I would pick another, later decision point and mentally inch-worm my way down the trail until I overcame the negative thought. I have used this trick for lots of mental hurdles (biking, hiking, academics, etc.).

This one is easy – hiking IS fun! But to keep ourselves interested, we are studying up on the plants, animals, geology, history, etc. of the trail to keep us engaged and interested as we hike.

Andrea and Hank, You are welcome.
I read your journal just now and have little doubt that You two will go the distance and have a great time together finding plants and birds and all the rest. Wishing You the Best, Sandalwood

emerald
11-30-2007, 15:30
I too am looking forward to reading about Andrea and Hank's hike. With their knowledge of the outdoors and the time they're investing learning about the A.T. and its surroundings, I can't imagine them having anything other than a wonderful experience.:)

Idealist
11-30-2007, 15:44
Ah, thanks guys! You are so encouraging!

stranger
11-30-2007, 18:06
Well I had the very unfortunate experience of an unsuccessful thru-hike and quit after about 750 miles some years ago, that was the only time I had failed at anything in my entire life to this day. It didn't go down well.

It was devastating to me...but I learned alot from the experience. Part of the reason was my age, only 18, and not planning for the tough times - which inevitable arrived, and some other unforseen circumstances that I wasn't able to cope with at the time.

What I realised is that "when" you hike is probably the most important decision you can make, meaning of course is that you need to hike when the AT is the most important thing in your life. After 750 miles on that hike, the AT was no longer #1 for me...so I focused on what was. I didn't do another serious hike until 6 years later!

I always knew I would return and thru-hike again, it was just a matter of time. Now I know the time is right, I feel it running through my veins, and I am very happy I waited until now to return to the AT. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be successful next year, absolutely no doubt that I have the experience, the desire, the money, the time, everything is in my favor and I know it...this is a pleasing thought, however...

What killed me in 1995 was overconfidence - that will not happen next year. I have been humbled and I will not take a single day for granted this time around. It's been a long hard road back and it's good to be here. And no matter how far I walk it will be a successful journey.

Lennox Lewis once said losing is what made him great, and without losses you cannot truly excel at anything. I agree.

Chainsaw 08
12-01-2007, 00:03
In the spirit of HYOH, my hike is all about finishing. The point of the whole thing for me is setting myself a big goal and accomplishing it. By nature, I do not have many of the traits needed on a thru: determination, persistience, patience, optimism. Developing those traits, accomplishing the goal, and proving something to myself ... that's whole point for me. I obviously will try to enjoy it, but I plan to keep going even if/when I'm miserable, which I do expect to be at times.

I've gotten a seven-month leave from my job, but if it takes longer, so be it. I may be this year's Minnesota Smith.

My biggest fear is some sort of catastrophic injury that knocks me out for the year -- leg broken, serious illness, that sort of thing -- and gives me an "excuse" for not finishing.

Chainsaw 08
12-01-2007, 00:12
Should add -- I'll carry an MP3 player to help with boredom, and my best mental trick to avoid quitting will probably be visualizing it: imagining the conversations with people, imagining posting an explanation on my trail journal, imagining going back to my job, imagining how I'd feel after a week. If I feel crappy imagining it, I'll feel crappy doing it. That's my process for all big decisions.

superman
12-01-2007, 08:42
"If thru-hiking isn't the most important thing in your life at the time
you are doing it, then stop doing it and go do what is." --Wingfoot

I'd like to mention two points.
First is that early on people went home because: Better hikers than me went home because they were home sick. The reality of hiking was not the same as pictured on the brochure. They over thought their hike...that is they did the math and at the rate they were going they concluded that they couldn't make it. If they subconsciously want to go home, their body will write them an injury permission slip.

Second thing is that it's a loooong hike. I've heard thru hikers criticized because they will openly talk about wishing they were finished by the time they get to New Hampshire and Maine. Some have trouble staying focused decide they need to mow their lawn at home. Money issues and those slippery roots/rocks can happen. When you fall backwards, it's hard to keep yourself from not putting your arms back to block your fall. If you just fall backward onto your pack there is no injury.
Most folks who thru hiked had to over come or hike through something that took other people off the trail. Bernie fell in Maine. His pelvic bone was an ugly black and yellow and it wiggled. He finished. Determination...yeah it takes some to see Katahdin.

Jim Adams
12-01-2007, 09:07
Yes you will be bored at times. Yes you will be miserable at times. It doesn't have to be a huge or catastrophic injury to knock you off the trail...in the wrong mindset it could be a blister! It could just be the wrong time in your life!
Maine and New Hampshire may have the toughest terrain, but not when you are out of conditioning. Georgia is probably the toughest state physically and Virginia mentally.
There are several reasons that people quit...I'm sure that they all start out determined to make it. Having determination is great but it won't make you finish.
Your best chance to finish is to not look at the finish. Whether you do 20 mile days or have decided to sit out a 3 day rain...HAVE FUN!!!!
Sure you will have sad days and tough days and PITA days but the alternative is going home and back to work.
Walking all day in the rain is miserable but I am fairly positive that it is better than a day at work...even if you like your job!
Go slow at the start and don't injure yourself. Do what YOU want to do EVERY day and HYOH....usually if you follow this ideal, you may be tired and beat but I'll bet you see the finish TOO quickly!
This is a beautiful trail...you can not conquer it...enjoy it and the everyday freedom that it provides!

geek

emerald
12-01-2007, 09:21
Some readers may wish to see also Advice from the experienced to the younger one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21926).

maxNcathy
12-02-2007, 19:50
Looks like some are VERY determined and some are sorta.

I wonder if the completion rate will ever exceed 25% for those who start out telling others that they are thru hiking the trail.

emerald
12-02-2007, 21:04
What I want to know, maxNcathy, is are you determined? What is your intended destination and what would be an acceptible reason for stopping short of it now?

Sly
12-02-2007, 21:47
I've had people tell me with a straight face that they were never bored on their thru hikes. :-?

That's what mp3 players and books are for. I get bored taking breaks sometimes. There's an easy correction for that, start hiking.

superman
12-02-2007, 22:06
You don't need any electronic crap to hike the AT and you don't need to be bored. Just try it.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2007, 22:45
folks just need to quit being so goal oriented

Bearpaw
12-02-2007, 23:25
folks just need to quit being so goal oriented

Yeah, I knew lots of thru-hikers in 99 who decided they were only going to hike as long as the hike was fun, and they all.....um.... wait, none of them completed their thru-hike........

Seriously, no amount of talking about how determined you or any one else is makes any difference in who will finish a thru-hike. You can't measure what some one has inside by looking at them or their gear, or the words they say or type.

I finished because I was stubborn and stupid (i. e. I was a purist), and that helped me stay focused. What works for you (or not) may be completely different......

Sly
12-02-2007, 23:26
You don't need any electronic crap to hike the AT and you don't need to be bored. Just try it.

LOL.... Try hiking without music? I did for the 1st half of the AT. I couldn't get the earworms out my head. Singing the same song over and over again got boring. Now I listen to music from time to time and whenever I please.

Why should I go without music?

maxNcathy
12-02-2007, 23:30
What I want to know, maxNcathy, is are you determined? What is your intended destination and what would be an acceptible reason for stopping short of it now?

Hi Shades of Gray

No, I am not yet determined to thru hike the AT. My wife and dog and kayaking friends would miss me too much ..and I would miss them likewise.
So, for now(2008) I have chosen to go back to hike 6 weeks like I did in 2007.

This past year on the AT was tough the first several days because I was not in top shape and the weather was very hot and the mts seemed very steep. But I really enjoyed hiking the AT and when my time was up and my wife drove down to bring me home north of Hot Springs I was not eager to leave the Trail as I had made some dear friends and I was still injury free and getting stronger each day it seemed.

From Springer I told folks I was not a thru hiker but was returning home after 6 weeks..No one seemed to look down on me because I was just hiking 6 weeks as I thought some might.I thought about just saying I was a thru hiker but decided not to the first day.
Of the 6 "thru hikers" who became my friends only one made it the whole way.They left one by one due to sickness and injury and love and school related issues.

If I was single I would attempt a thru hike and would be very determined to finish the whole trail. But I know in order for me to do that it would be important to meet and hike with fellow hikers that I enjoyed being with. I like people and know I would not be motivated to hike day after day without the good company of trail friends.

It must have been a lonely hike for Earl Shaeffer back in 1948. Too lonely for me, no doubt.

My wife does hike some but she wants to work another 4 years then travel etc. If she was keen on thru hiking we would try it together in 4 years..but I would not tell anyone we were thru hikers until Mt Katahdin was clearly in view or underfoot.

Keep well,
Sandalwood

Blissful
12-02-2007, 23:55
Boredom for me was more like being tired of doing the same thing. I really got tired of it - first in VA for about a week but much more in Maine. Tired of the routine of hiking. Tired of being in pain. Tired of being afraid of falling down some steep slick cliff face. Tired of being away from home and my hubby. Tired of the whole thing. And that's when you need a mental adjustment to keep on truckin'.

Dancer
12-03-2007, 06:45
Fellow Hikers,

Sandalwood

I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment. Because of recent events I'm really going to have to dig deep and buckle down to make it come together financially. But that is only part of the reason.

Part of me is afraid of my families reaction. Then there is the self doubt. I want this so bad that it's all that I think about but in a way I'm scared to put it all on the line and actually do it.

I battled it this weekend and decided that even if this is waaayyyy out of my comfort zone I'm going to bite the bullet and get it together. I'm back in the gym today and I'll be sitting down with the bills and calculator to figure out how I can make this work. Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2007, 06:58
::: Dino wraps a supportive tail around AmazonWoman. You can do this if you want ::::

Dancer
12-03-2007, 07:06
::: Dino wraps a supportive tail around AmazonWoman. You can do this if you want ::::

Thank you so much. I've wasted alot of years because I was afraid to go out on a limb. My WB family has really inspired me.

Over Yonder
12-03-2007, 17:52
Sometimes on previous hikes I get that two minutes of "why am I here," but then it goes away and I have an amazing time... playing in the woods has been my job for several years.
I plan on taking it one day at a time, like many of you have said, wait it out for a week. I have also written down some fun little quotes which I hope will re-motivate me along those rough days. Things like... "How many people get the chance to do something like this?" Ya know the cheesey stuff:D ... sometimes that works for me haha. I also tend to be stubborn so... I hope that helps keeps me out there.

Chainsaw 08
12-03-2007, 17:58
You don't need any electronic crap to hike the AT and you don't need to be bored. Just try it.So you're volunteering to hike my hike for me? Does that mean I have to hike yours for you now?

Chainsaw 08
12-03-2007, 17:59
folks just need to quit being so goal orientedSee above.

maxNcathy
12-04-2007, 11:28
I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment. Because of recent events I'm really going to have to dig deep and buckle down to make it come together financially. But that is only part of the reason.

Part of me is afraid of my families reaction. Then there is the self doubt. I want this so bad that it's all that I think about but in a way I'm scared to put it all on the line and actually do it.

I battled it this weekend and decided that even if this is waaayyyy out of my comfort zone I'm going to bite the bullet and get it together. I'm back in the gym today and I'll be sitting down with the bills and calculator to figure out how I can make this work. Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!

Julie, I hope you keep a journal at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) so we can hear about your hike and cheer you on.
Very best wishes, Sandalwood

Blissful
12-04-2007, 12:07
Thank you so much. I've wasted alot of years because I was afraid to go out on a limb. My WB family has really inspired me.

Go, Amazonwoman, go!!

I was a nervous wreck every time I would stop in a trail town with the thought of having to hike the next section. I got really worried about the "unknowns" ahead. Then I was always better as soon as my feet hit the trail, and I settled back into hiking. It's really a - for better or for worse relationship, this trail. :)

superman
12-04-2007, 14:36
So you're volunteering to hike my hike for me? Does that mean I have to hike yours for you now?

You're confused. I don't care what you do. I was just eluminating the ground on which you walk. If you choose to haul a bunch of extra junk with you go ahead. HYOH or not.

Dancer
12-04-2007, 16:53
Julie, I hope you keep a journal at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) so we can hear about your hike and cheer you on.
Very best wishes, Sandalwood

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a trailjournal but I need to update and change a few things. It's mostly from last year when I was planning a 2007 SOBO and chickened out. I'll try to keep it up to date.

Julie

Dancer
12-04-2007, 16:55
Go, Amazonwoman, go!!

I was a nervous wreck every time I would stop in a trail town with the thought of having to hike the next section. I got really worried about the "unknowns" ahead. Then I was always better as soon as my feet hit the trail, and I settled back into hiking. It's really a - for better or for worse relationship, this trail. :)

Thanks Blissful,

You are one of my inspirations. I read some of your journal and need to go back and finish it. It seems I never have the time to do all the reading I want to do. I'm not chickening out this time. Thanks for the encouragement.

canerunner
12-04-2007, 17:31
I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment...

So, Julie, what makes you think you are any different than anyone else? Do you think anyone approaches the unknown without some reservations? Every one of us has points at which they question their committment. For some, the point is a bit further down the line, but we all do it.

In reality, it's almost a warrior attitude that you have to achieve. Going into battle, everyone is scared. The warrior attitude is that you go do what you have to do to accomplish the mission. Regardless.

You are really already ahead of the game. You have already put your first obstacle behind you. Having already decided not to be deterred, you're southbound, girl!

Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!

GO FOR IT!

yappy
12-04-2007, 17:33
I am with Sly. I love being out there ! it being boring was rarely the case. I love going into towns but i LOVE leaving them. 0 days can be a down fall. i think that is what makes the AT very challenging is all the towns ...Pct etc you don't have the " town magnet "....try and keep your stops to a minimum....but, I sure didn't ...:) There are very few places I would rather be then hiking a mnt trail...

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 15:06
Hiking can get boring real fast too. So if it's boredom you are trying to avoid, thru hiking the AT won't help in that area.

This is what I am confused about. I went out to do a 'practice' hike over a 4 day weekend last month and felt great in the beginning. I noticed all the natural beauty, animals, birds etc. The pack felt great, the boots are great, I was "HIKING"!!!!

But the next day, it wasn't all so fascinating. I caught myself thinking, when am I gonna finally get there (end of the trail)? It's not like I had anything else to do. I had specifically set aside these 4 days to hike!!

I didn't like it that I was having these thoughts. I have been planning, spending money and talking about doing this hike for the last 7 months!!! I do know I want to do it. I almost 'need' to do it.

What does one do to counteract these feelings of boredom or impatience??:-?

emerald
12-20-2007, 15:16
What does one do to counteract these feelings of boredom or impatience??:-?

For some Cindy, a good solution is keeping one's job and section-hiking, but if it's a traditional or nouveau thru-hike you seek, what you're talking about is indeed germane.

I like people who ask good questions. People who ask good questions, get better answers than those who don't.

May I ask a personal question? Are you determined? People who truly are find a way. It seems to me the answer you seek is within yourself, but it's not a bad idea to ask those who have been there before.

You might consider living in the present moment and experiencing it, uncomfortable though it may be. You could also replace an uncomfortable thought with another. Remember that entertaining a thought is optional.

Alternatively, focus upon your surroundings rather than within. There's much more going on around people than they ever realize.

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 15:29
I was a lot more determined before my 'practice' hike. The feelings I had came totally out of left field. Very unexpected.

I had no unexpected troubles on the trail, the weather was perfect. I experienced lots of little victories. It was totally exhilerating. I loved the solitude and the 'oneness' with nature.

In the weeks since that hike I have done a lot of soul searching and meditation about why I am really doing this. And I AM doing it! I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.

Perhaps what I got was a 'reality check'. And, I think that's a good thing.

emerald
12-20-2007, 15:33
Practice hikes are good.:cool:

emerald
12-20-2007, 15:52
I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.

Without the valleys and peaks, rain and sunshine and other contrasts which call to our attention and cause us to appreciate more what we have, both life and the trail are far less interesting.

Who loves the sunshine more than the hiker who has been rained on for a week?:sun

maxNcathy
12-20-2007, 15:55
Cindy, Like you,I sometimes get bored and impatient when I hike around home..
When I flew to Atlanta and got hiking on the AT it was rarely boring for me. I hiked 6 weeks and never was very bored.
Why the difference??
I think it was the fact that I was going a meaningful distance and length of time.Also very important to me was the interaction with other hikers that I met.You can be alone as much as you like or walk with others non stop if that is what you like.
If you get tired or sleepy or grumpy or bored..you can put your foam pad or ground sheet down and have a nap under a tree or on some moss..
You will always be trying to figure out where to get water and where to camp for the night.Some days I stopped to cook up some lunch on my Pocket Rocket stove.That was fun, good for a break and helped with monotony of the daily hike.
Taking pictures is fun too. keep your camera very handy or you will not use it much.
Bring recorded music if that would help you.I did not need it.
When are you starting this year?I started March 19 last year but not sure when and where I will start this coming spring.
Take good care,
Sandalwood

superman
12-20-2007, 16:04
I was a lot more determined before my 'practice' hike. The feelings I had came totally out of left field. Very unexpected.

I had no unexpected troubles on the trail, the weather was perfect. I experienced lots of little victories. It was totally exhilerating. I loved the solitude and the 'oneness' with nature.

In the weeks since that hike I have done a lot of soul searching and meditation about why I am really doing this. And I AM doing it! I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.

Perhaps what I got was a 'reality check'. And, I think that's a good thing.

A whole lot of people are in love with the idea of hiking but not so much the reality of it. The idea of hiking is based on the picture of that woman on the hiking books. The ones with the woman smiling as she hikes through the woods on a clear day with comfy temperatures. FWIW you don't have to love hiking to hike the AT. There are times when it is NOT fun. There are times when you don't fell like hiking. If you get up early in the morning and hike about 15 miles a day you can see Katahdin if your body and your gear doesn't write you a permission slip to go home. The reason why soooo many people don't complete a thru hike is because it's not easy. Determination can help you succeed...not the teeth clenched determination but the single mindedness to complete what you chose to do. If you don't think you have what it takes just stay home. I've seen a lot better hikers than me go home...there is no shame in it. There's nothing wrong with section hiking. There's nothing wrong with biking or something else instead. Like the man said...the answer is in you.

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 16:26
I will be starting at Springer the 3rd week in April '08

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 16:34
Determination can help you succeed...not the teeth clenched determination but the single mindedness to complete what you chose to do. If you don't think you have what it takes just stay home.

I am determined to do this hike in '08. All the planets have aligned and I wished on a star and I got the bigger piece of the wishbone!! LOL

In fact, I HAVE to do this hike. It is high time that I proved to myself that I CAN stick it out and make it happen. I'm always there for everyone else but I tend to let myself down. I tend to make excuses for why I couldn't do it for myself. I've dreamed about doing this hike for almost 20 years. I know I have what it takes. NOW is the time!! (can you tell I am giving myself the "win one for the Gipper" speech???!!!) LOL

"I'm Hikin' or I'm Dy'in"

emerald
12-20-2007, 16:41
A Katahdin or bust hiker!:cool:

Cindy from Indy
12-20-2007, 16:46
:D You betcha!!!

superman
12-20-2007, 17:35
I am determined to do this hike in '08. All the planets have aligned and I wished on a star and I got the bigger piece of the wishbone!! LOL

In fact, I HAVE to do this hike. It is high time that I proved to myself that I CAN stick it out and make it happen. I'm always there for everyone else but I tend to let myself down. I tend to make excuses for why I couldn't do it for myself. I've dreamed about doing this hike for almost 20 years. I know I have what it takes. NOW is the time!! (can you tell I am giving myself the "win one for the Gipper" speech???!!!) LOL

"I'm Hikin' or I'm Dy'in"

Well, no one could argue with the planets being aligned, wished on a star and you got the bigger piece of the wishbone. This is my version of being supportive. When I first started the AT almost everyone I spoke to was hiking because they wanted to be one with nature, hug a tree, kiss a bear....what ever. I don't know what happened to those people because after about a month I started hearing the real stories. Most people had issues that they hoped to sort out as they hiked. Most were over relationships or which way to go after graduation or retirement. In addition to that it is damn amazing how many of them go the distance with only one oar in the water. Screamer wasn't the only nut on the trail in 2000. Having said all that it is a social hike and you may not be as alone as you imagine you will be. If you have issues use them to power you up the mountains but you'll probably still have them when you reach katahdin.
I'd encourage you to not over think your hike. It's just walking and you've done it all your life. What you need is your gear, show up at Spinger, and follow the blazes. It's just a three-day hike over and over. Relax; you’re not going to fall off the edge of the world.

emerald
12-20-2007, 18:02
Get up in the morning, hike and repeat until you reach the other terminus. It's easier to say than do, but it's not as hard as some make it either.:D

floyd242
12-20-2007, 18:20
I tend to get bored on section hikes also, but it's usually because there is a bunch of other stuff bothering me. I do not think it will be a problem when I start my thru-hike. I will have quit my job, sold everything I own except some collectible things, and will be effectively homeless. It's going to be great... Whenever I'm bored on the trail (if it does happen) I'll just think about how normally I would be working right now and I'm sure I'll get over it pretty quick. I'm so ready for this.

emerald
12-20-2007, 18:28
Guess without a home, your home will be the A.T. Where will you go if or maybe I should say when you quit? You're not planning on living there forever, are you?

floyd242
12-21-2007, 12:05
Guess without a home, your home will be the A.T. Where will you go if or maybe I should say when you quit? You're not planning on living there forever, are you?

I'm not too worried about it, there are multiple places I could stay and I could get another (probably better) job in Atlanta pretty easily. I also have enough money saved to last me a year if I penny pinch.

My point was once you're out there and devoted to just hiking etc. I think boredom will be less of an issue. Then again I'm not speaking from experience so maybe I should just not talk. :cool:

trailfoot
12-21-2007, 12:44
Fellow Hikers,
How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance?
I am very determines. I will make it as long as my ankle holds up. I had surgery earlier this yr. I'm earning my second degree black belt in January so I am a pretty determined individual. I lost my job for this trip (layoff) so I better complete it (big motivator). I wouldn't want to give my past employer any satisfaction.

What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Get up off your butt and get moving. Your family is waiting for you to get home so get moving. You only have four months to complete this trip you don't have time to waste. It's just one mountain get your butt up and over it. So it happens to be Mt Washington. No biggy.... Mt Everest is a whole lot worse. Lets go to town and have some fun and see what tomorrow brings. Turn of the MP3 player and sing a tune. Just hope no one is around:D

How will you make your hike fun?
I might change this question to What will make your hike fun? Not in any particular order. Sun, new friends, enlightenment, H2O to drink, food, spirits, seeing the family, camaraderie, gear that holds up, trail magic, shower, clean cloths, bed, heat/air conditioning, and the list goes on
On the flip side not taking a shower, shaving, using deodorant, getting a hair cut, wearing the same cloths day after day (no laundry YA) I guess you can tell I'm a guy:D. How about peeing in the woods!

How many months have you set aside for this hike? Sandalwood
Four Agreed with the family to not be gone long. One can only stay unemployed for so long : ) Its already been a while since I worked last and I don't leave until Feb 29th

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 12:46
I'm determined to hike; whatever happens is just the way it's gonna be. I've done the same as floyd242 so the urge to just quit will be not quite as attractive.

Cindy from Indy
12-21-2007, 16:25
I'm quitting my job about a month before I start my hike.

maxNcathy
12-21-2007, 17:46
I'm thinking Trailfoot will go the distance.. if that ankle behaves.

ye olde shiza
12-24-2007, 00:14
:banana

If you ask someone if they're "determined," does that imply that they're not going to enjoy the trail or the pain that will inevitably come with it?

I watch from the shadows of these boards and read a lot of negativity and cynicism. Maybe that's the law of the land since most thru-hikers inevitably drop out. Maybe it's the "tough love" strategy that professors employ on their first day of classes, trying to scare people straight.

All I know is that for me, there is no option. I am going to summit Katahdin.

rafe
12-24-2007, 00:21

That might work. Or it might be a formula for months of misery, and life's too short for that.

emerald
12-24-2007, 00:24

One could conclude then that you are determined. Why all the whining that led up to your declaration?:D

Lone Wolf
12-24-2007, 01:20
:banana

If you ask someone if they're "determined," does that imply that they're not going to enjoy the trail or the pain that will inevitably come with it?

I watch from the shadows of these boards and read a lot of negativity and cynicism. Maybe that's the law of the land since most thru-hikers inevitably drop out. Maybe it's the "tough love" strategy that professors employ on their first day of classes, trying to scare people straight.

why? it's just a mountain

mobileman
12-24-2007, 02:44
What I do know is that on March 27, 2008 I will start from Amiacola Falls state park walking up the approach trail to Springer with all of the thoughts I have been having about enjoying a walk on the AT. My hopes and dream are that I will get to summit Katadin. My plan, is to go for a northbound walk. After I have completed my walk that day I plan on eating supper and trying to get a nights sleep. On the morning of the 28th I hope to wake up and go for another northbound walk. I am retired and have spent many years doing what others wanted me to do. It's now time for me to do what I would like to do. I plan on waking up yet another morning and continuing to walk North. I will do this every morning I am able. I'm in no special hurry, I have not givin much thought to doing anything different. I suppose I will find things and places that will interest me, I guess I will stop along the way and enjoy those things or places also. Then I will walk for another day. I don't have a time commitment so therefore I don't need a schedule. This isn't anything I have to do, It's something I want to do. Who knows what I will discover along the way. I have very few preconcieved notions other than to find some enjoyment each and every day. When I am fortunate enough to reach my desired point, what then? Turn around go south? Catch A bus? Do something else? I've got plenty of time to think about that. First I want to take a pleasant walk along a trail that most Americans don't even know exists.

ye olde shiza
12-25-2007, 23:27
One could conclude then that you are determined. Why all the whining that led up to your declaration?:D

That's a good question. Don't have an answer on that one! All I know is that I like moving forward. Sometimes, I walk around this city for hours on end at night, just to move forward and have a clear head full of thoughts. I like nature. I enjoy "roughing" it, because I've never really had a whole lot to brag about as it is. Enough to survive is enough for me.

On top of this, I have the added bonus of this being an assignment (I'll be writing and snapping pics for a local alt-weekly paper as well as a glossy magazine spread). And alt-weekly will be able to supply me with some fundage while I'm out walking about for five months.

That stuff was all secondary though. I knew I was going to walk the Appalachian Trail before any of it was ever lined up. Peace out.

The Mechanical Man
12-25-2007, 23:36

Don't you get it?..........................

He is a Southbounder

ye olde shiza
12-25-2007, 23:46

Not to get too philosophical, but everything we are in life is "just _____," and everything we have in life is "just a car" or "just a house." Unless it means more to you for a symbolic reason. Why does anyone want to hike the trail and climb "Katahdin?" I don't know if there are words that aptly describe why I do.

ye olde shiza
12-25-2007, 23:47
Don't you get it?..........................

He is a Southbounder

Am I still showing up as a Southbounder on here? I thought I had that fixed up ... d'oh.

emerald
12-25-2007, 23:50
All I know is that I like moving forward.

If you think you might be determined and you're intending to walk the A.T. regardless, why not consider walking it backwards instead?:-? Now that would be a real challenge and I don't believe anyone's done it before.;)

ye olde shiza
12-26-2007, 00:06
If you think you might be determined and you're intending to walk the A.T. regardless, why not consider walking it backwards instead?:-? Now that would be a real challenge and I don't believe anyone's done it before.;)

I'm trying to calculate the advantages of walking backwards at this very moment.

cheeks
12-26-2007, 21:01
What I do know is that on March 27, 2008 I will start from Amiacola Falls state park walking up the approach trail to Springer with all of the thoughts I have been having about enjoying a walk on the AT. My hopes and dream are that I will get to summit Katadin. My plan, is to go for a northbound walk. After I have completed my walk that day I plan on eating supper and trying to get a nights sleep. On the morning of the 28th I hope to wake up and go for another northbound walk. I am retired and have spent many years doing what others wanted me to do. It's now time for me to do what I would like to do. I plan on waking up yet another morning and continuing to walk North. I will do this every morning I am able. I'm in no special hurry, I have not givin much thought to doing anything different. I suppose I will find things and places that will interest me, I guess I will stop along the way and enjoy those things or places also. Then I will walk for another day. I don't have a time commitment so therefore I don't need a schedule. This isn't anything I have to do, It's something I want to do. Who knows what I will discover along the way. I have very few preconcieved notions other than to find some enjoyment each and every day. When I am fortunate enough to reach my desired point, what then? Turn around go south? Catch A bus? Do something else? I've got plenty of time to think about that. First I want to take a pleasant walk along a trail that most Americans don't even know exists.

This dude's gonna make it.

Cannibal
12-27-2007, 01:31
I'm trying to calculate the advantages of walking backwards at this very moment.

Do enough downhills and you'll feel the advantage of walking backwards. :D

Mad Hatter 08
01-01-2008, 22:40

and the at is just a trail.;)

Mad Hatter 08
01-01-2008, 22:43
my uncle was ragging on me the other day and said "I just don't want to see you fail" and I told him if I never try I've already failed.

trailfoot
01-01-2008, 23:43
I'm thinking Trailfoot will go the distance.. if that ankle behaves.

Thanks for the vote of confidence maxNcathy. I do believe I will make it as well and I hope I don't come off cocky.

Boy am I itching to go. It's finally 2008 but it's not March yet:mad:. Im chomping at the bit.

trailfoot
01-01-2008, 23:44
my uncle was ragging on me the other day and said "I just don't want to see you fail" and I told him if I never try I've already failed.

Amen Sister :D

Mad Hatter 08
01-01-2008, 23:51
Amen Sister :D

I just made that my signature. I'm not sure if someone else has said it before or if I made it up from a jumble of other similarly inspiring quotes.

Mad Hatter 08
01-02-2008, 00:01
god I can't wait until friday afternoon. we meet with my grandmothers radiation oncologist to see how her cancer has reacted to the treatment she has been undergoing. (radiation concurrent with chemo cycles) they are really going at this aggressively and we hope that the outcome will be that she goes into remission without needing surgery. If she does I don't know when I'll get to do the trail because it will be a very evasive surgery that is hard to recover from. We've been pretty lucky so far in her reaction to the aggressive treatment and we think we caught it early enough. So I'm gonna ask for all of your prayers that we get good news Friday, especially for my grandma. And now for my PSA in regards to her type of cancer. If you suffer from acid reflux or frequent or persistent heartburn please see your doctor. Adenocarcinoma of the Esophagus occurs when years of acid build-up in the esophagus turn the cells of the esophagus into stomach types from esophageal types. these cells can then mutate and become cancerous. This is a totally preventable cancer that unfortunately doesn't have great success rate (only 60% if you catch it at stage 1)

Goodness is it Friday yet????

The Mayor
01-02-2008, 17:10
How determined? Great question. I have the time and money and I'm in decent shape, but I know there will be times I will be bored, tired, in pain, uncomfortable, and/or grumpy. I'm sure I'll miss all the comforts of the soft life, from friends and families to couches and cold beer. These feelings will pass, and the trail being the trail, there's usually no immediate option to quit. So, I want to quit hiking? No problem, hike 10 more miles to civilization. 2 miles later and I don't want to quit anymore. And all those comforts? I'm fairly sure they will all be there when I get back.

I think the 0 days/town breaks will tempt me the worst to abandon my hike. So, I'm gonna try to limit those opportunities as much as I can.

I would really like to hike the total trail, but if I don't that's OK. I'm giving myself a great opportunity and a great challenge. I am going to take it one step at a time. I know that even if I only hike 20 miles, my time will have been well spent. If I hike 2000 miles, even more so.

maxNcathy
01-03-2008, 10:12
Liz, I did as you requested and may your grandma be totally well.
Ssandalwood

maxNcathy
01-03-2008, 10:16
How determined? Great question. I have the time and money and I'm in decent shape, but I know there will be times I will be bored, tired, in pain, uncomfortable, and/or grumpy. I'm sure I'll miss all the comforts of the soft life, from friends and families to couches and cold beer. These feelings will pass, and the trail being the trail, there's usually no immediate option to quit. So, I want to quit hiking? No problem, hike 10 more miles to civilization. 2 miles later and I don't want to quit anymore. And all those comforts? I'm fairly sure they will all be there when I get back.

I think the 0 days/town breaks will tempt me the worst to abandon my hike. So, I'm gonna try to limit those opportunities as much as I can.

I would really like to hike the total trail, but if I don't that's OK. I'm giving myself a great opportunity and a great challenge. I am going to take it one step at a time. I know that even if I only hike 20 miles, my time will have been well spent. If I hike 2000 miles, even more so.

Mayor, I hope you have a great hike!
Are you keeping a journal at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)?

Venture
01-05-2008, 10:25
Great question indeed! One step and day at a time! If that means setting foot on Katahdin GREAT, if not, it better be a legitiment reason for having to leave! Injury, money, family emergency are the big three for me. Boredom, pain, rain, hunger, lonliness are all things that can fluctuate adding to the lessons and joy of the trail with a good and humorous attitude! Either way i believe i will take many wonderful things away from the experience! The only way to find out is to get out there and give it my all!!

maxNcathy
01-09-2008, 09:39
Venture will go the distance...if he can hike with others that he enjoys being around.

Colter
01-09-2008, 10:52
why? it's just a mountain (Referring to Katahdin)

You know it's not "just a mountain" to the people on this board. Why do you say things just to be abrasive?

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 11:07
(Referring to Katahdin)
Why do you say things just to be abrasive?

no. it really is just a mountain

warraghiyagey
01-09-2008, 11:11
Please check out my new DVD!
Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness (http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html)

And the winner of the Shameless Self Promotion award goes to. . . . . .

Colter
01-09-2008, 11:19
no. it really is just a mountain I can recognize baloney when I see it. I don't have to explain why you are wrong since it's self evident. If someone sees a fawn you point out "they're good eating." It doesn't matter if you honestly believe the many abrasive things you say are true, it's obvious you say them for the sake of being abrasive.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2008, 11:21
Katahdin really is just a mountain and a fawn is cute and tasty too. Have a nice day and drive safe. :)

P.S. Put me on ignore

Colter
01-09-2008, 11:22
Please check out my new DVD!
Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness (http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html)

And the winner of the Shameless Self Promotion award goes to. . . . . .

We both link to our site, but at least my link works. :rolleyes:

JAK
01-09-2008, 11:23
A mountain is just a mountain.
A grain of sand is just a grain of sand.
A man is just a man.

But we can change, if we have to, I guess.

partinj
01-09-2008, 13:21
A abd day on thevtrail is better then a good day at work

partinj
01-09-2008, 13:23
A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work
dumb keyboard at the lib keyboard don't alway work right.