PDA

View Full Version : SPAM shortage?

walkinfool
11-29-2007, 18:11
After reading so much on WB about the Spam Singles, I've been searching everywhere in my area for them. I started thinking that maybe they stopped making them. Have no fear, though...I'm a little ashamed to admit that I actually emailed Hormel through their web site today to find out where I could buy the single foil packs. Never thought I'd be emailing looking for Spam. Anyway, they got back to me within a few minutes to let me know where I could buy them. If you get a chance, check out their web site: http://www.spam.com/ ...funny stuff, especially the Spam Fan Club link at the top.

Ewker
11-29-2007, 20:37
My local grocery stores and Wal Mart have stopped carrying them. You might check Big Lots

Thoughtful Owl
11-30-2007, 12:34
After reading so much on WB about the Spam Singles, I've been searching everywhere in my area for them. I started thinking that maybe they stopped making them. Have no fear, though...I'm a little ashamed to admit that I actually emailed Hormel through their web site today to find out where I could buy the single foil packs. Never thought I'd be emailing looking for Spam. Anyway, they got back to me within a few minutes to let me know where I could buy them. If you get a chance, check out their web site: http://www.spam.com/ ...funny stuff, especially the Spam Fan Club link at the top.

u're right walkinfool, this is a pretty funny site. I didn't know they had Spam with Bacon. Hm will have to try it out. Years ago when I work for a major grocery chain we sold this bacon in a can. I used to get it and take backpacking with me. Haven't seen it in years. Anyone ever see it or know if it's still available.

warraghiyagey
11-30-2007, 23:27
"I don't like Spam!!"

Ewker
12-01-2007, 00:07
"I don't like Spam!!"

your loss, just more for us folks who do :p

warraghiyagey
12-01-2007, 01:03
"I don't like Spam!!"

your loss, just more for us folks who do :p

Actually mine was a Monty Python quote. . . supposed to be funny.
"I'm not dead yet."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2007, 08:59
Alas, Ewker, it's only a flesh wound (http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/Item_Monty-Python-Flesh-Wound-T-Shirt_AG1132T_ps_dpr.html) :D

Speaking of flesh wounds, how are you doing since your recent surgery?

Doctari
12-01-2007, 09:48
Meijer in Cincinnati (west side anyway) carries them, when they can keep in stock, my family buys all of them almost as soon as they hit the shelf :p

FWIW I carry that instead of tuna now, better flavor IMHO & more calories.

Nearly Normal
12-01-2007, 11:14
It's a marketing thing. The store won't continue stocking if the product doesn't sell. The computer in time will kick it out.
Most chains have a base stock inventory and as the chain introduces a new product they rearrange the shelf to make room. They also delete items for space.
When they first started carrying them in my area I would purchase for backpacking trips. No one carrys them anymore around here.
Most store managers don't have the power to buy discontinued stock. Some might if you bought the entire order.
Ask a local caterer that orders wholesale. You will proably have to purchase by the case in advance.

MOWGLI
12-01-2007, 11:17
I guess some people really like this stuff. Who knew?

emerald
12-01-2007, 11:22
Any day now, I'll log on to find y'all are eating green eggs with your Spam!:D

walkinfool
12-03-2007, 18:52
u're right walkinfool, this is a pretty funny site. I didn't know they had Spam with Bacon. Hm will have to try it out. Years ago when I work for a major grocery chain we sold this bacon in a can. I used to get it and take backpacking with me. Haven't seen it in years. Anyone ever see it or know if it's still available.

They even have Spam Low Sodium. Do you think the average person who eats Spam (long distance hikers excluded) watches their health enough to get low sodium Spam?

There's a Spam bean bag character in the Spam store web site. That's just good stuff. Think it's stuffed with Spam?

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 19:57
I spent two years in Honolulu where Spam is a delicacy. What a great place for a guilty pleasure.:)

saimyoji
12-03-2007, 20:06
I think those singles are just too $$$$$$.

Ewker
12-03-2007, 20:11
I think those singles are just too $$$$$$.

I agree with you they are esp for the 2 slices you get. It beats carrying a can with you though. Wonder how long Spam would last if it wasn't kept cold

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 20:12
I agree with you they are esp for the 2 slices you get. It beats carrying a can with you though. Wonder how long Spam would last if it wasn't kept cold
Probably just under 3 years.
:p

budforester
12-03-2007, 21:20

You could probably dehydrate and FBC with it. But It may be cheaper to do that with ham steaks.

mudhead
12-03-2007, 22:10

It gets greasy, but no worse than cheese.

I would not keep it opened for long in hot weather.