PDA

View Full Version : Who has met Bill Bryson?

J5man
11-29-2007, 18:12
With all the discussion in the "A Walk in the Woods" thread, I am just curious; who of you on WB met Bill Bryson (or Katz) while he was on the trail?

rafe
11-29-2007, 18:19
Not me. I got my taste of Rainbow Springs chili several years before Bryson and Katz did. And it was pretty much as Bill described it.

FWIW, Katz is real. He appears in at least two other Bryson books. He's Bryson's childhood pal from Des Moines.

The Old Fhart
11-29-2007, 18:22
I talked to Bryson at a private event hosted by the Mount Washington Observatory and told him I thought his depiction of the folks down south was unfair and that he'd see the same sort of 'stuff' in his then back yard in Hanover. (not referring to Baltimore Jack:D)

dessertrat
11-29-2007, 18:23
Don't Bill Bryson's detractors realize. . . "If we discuss Bill Bryson, that means Bill Bryson wins!"

Just a Hiker
11-29-2007, 18:29
Not me. I got my taste of Rainbow Springs chili several years before Bryson and Katz did. And it was pretty much as Bill described it.

FWIW, Katz is real. He appears in at least two other Bryson books. He's Bryson's childhood pal from Des Moines.

Jeff Hoch from the "Hike Inn" told me that Buddy and Jensine sued Bryson for his comments about Rainbow Springs. He eventually settled out of court.

MOWGLI
11-29-2007, 18:45
Jeff Hoch from the "Hike Inn" told me that Buddy and Jensine sued Bryson for his comments about Rainbow Springs. He eventually settled out of court.

In 2000 Jensine told me she thought about suing Bryson, but decided not to. She gave me an earful about him though. She also told me she remembered Bryson, but not Katz.

Just a Hiker
11-29-2007, 18:48
In 2000 Jensine told me she thought about suing Bryson, but decided not to. She gave me an earful about him though. She also told me she remembered Bryson, but not Katz.

I guess Jeff was mistaken:confused:. Anyway, old man Shaw said he didn't remember Katz either.

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2007, 18:49
He used to live here in Hanover and I spoke with him on several occasions. In person, he's delightful.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-29-2007, 18:53
Did anyone see Katz the year Bryson hiked?

Sly
11-29-2007, 19:06
Don't Bill Bryson's detractors realize. . . "If we discuss Bill Bryson, that means Bill Bryson wins!"

He already won, and laughed about it all the way to the bank

Sly
11-29-2007, 19:11
After Buddy and Jensine sold the place, Rainbow Springs should have advertised: Bill Bryson Slept Here! It would probably still be open. ;)

The Weasel
11-29-2007, 19:22
Well, I met the real Bill Bryson on the trail in '00. Had to go offtrail for 2 days in Helen, GA to see a dentist. Got a shuttle back from the motel to the trail with this old coot in a trail maintainer's hat. Was hesitant giving me his real name until later...as he said, "My name is Bill Bryson, but I'm not THAT Bill Bryson." He was from MD, very real, we hiked for 3 days together. Nice guy.

As for Jensine, well, she's a nice lady who didn't realize how she made it easy for people to satirize Rainbow Springs.

TW

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2007, 19:25
As for Jensine, well, she's a nice lady .

TW

U sure about that?

Rain Man
11-29-2007, 19:31
...I thought his depiction of the folks down south was unfair and that he'd see the same sort of 'stuff' in his then back yard in Hanover....

Then the unfairness was not mentioning it about Southerners, but choosing to gloss over the same warts when it comes to Yankees. But then, the victors do get to write the history, wrongly.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 20:38

his comments were dead on. post the law suit. it's public info

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 20:39
Well, I met the real Bill Bryson on the trail in '00. Had to go offtrail for 2 days in Helen, GA to see a dentist. Got a shuttle back from the motel to the trail with this old coot in a trail maintainer's hat. Was hesitant giving me his real name until later...as he said, "My name is Bill Bryson, but I'm not THAT Bill Bryson." He was from MD, very real, we hiked for 3 days together. Nice guy.

As for Jensine, well, she's a nice lady who didn't realize how she made it easy for people to satirize Rainbow Springs.

TW

bryson didn't hike in 2000

A-Train
11-29-2007, 20:44
When I was hiking thru Hanover in June 03' there was an ad at the co-op for a fellar named Bryson selling his SUV for some $20,000. I'm assuming this was him.

rafe
11-29-2007, 20:47

Silly boy, you didn't read past the first couple of words in Weasel's post...

MOWGLI
11-29-2007, 20:49
his comments were dead on. post the law suit. it's public info

Jensine's beef was that he spoke ill of Rainbow Springs Campground in the book, and in the front of the book was a disclaimer saying all the characters were fictional. Yet Bryson used the Crossman's names, and the name of their business in his book.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2007, 21:21
Jensine's beef was that he spoke ill of Rainbow Springs Campground in the book, and in the front of the book was a disclaimer saying all the characters were fictional. Yet Bryson used the Crossman's names, and the name of their business in his book.

ok. but truth hurts.

trippclark
11-30-2007, 00:10

Dino,

See thread
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=412

post #8

rafe
11-30-2007, 00:50
Interesting link, Trippclark. It seems that even five years ago, Mister Tarlin was claiming "hundreds of errors" in the book and citing the same example of the paragraph on P. 215 about Alden Partridge.

Curiously, in five years time, Mister Tarlin hasn't manged (or bothered) to find additional or more interesting examples from among the "hundreds" of alleged errors. :-?

SGT Rock
11-30-2007, 00:56
Maybe he realizes posting them just to please folks like you is a bad waste of good time.:rolleyes:

The Weasel
11-30-2007, 01:01

Bill Bryson, the really nice 70 year old trail maintainer from Maryland, DID hike in '00, Wolf. Sorry. You're wrong. Bill Bryson, the snarky author that Jack Tarlin seems to like, well, that's another guy entirely.

TW

The Old Fhart
11-30-2007, 08:08
I met the 70 year old Bill Bryson at Rainbow Springs in 2000. Jensine, Bill, and I were at the counter in the store and Jensine was mentioning that they had considered suing the other Bill Bryson and pointed out a person from Ohio who signed their register the same time the other Bill Bryson was there, who she thought might be 'Katz'.

At this point Bill signed the register saying: "Rainbow Springs is now Bill Bryson approved.":D

rafe
11-30-2007, 09:37
Maybe he realizes posting them just to please folks like you is a bad waste of good time.:rolleyes:

Mister Tarlin seems to have time enough to regurgitate the same claim ("hundreds of errors") and the same tired example (Alden Partridge, P. 215) whenever a Bryson thread comes up....

Oh yes, and a pleasant good morning to you too, Rock.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2007, 10:10
See thread
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=412
post #8Thank you, TrippClark. I have often wondered why so few hikers report having seen Bryson the year he hiked and many who did report seeing him reported he was alone. I was beginning to wonder if Katz's participation in this hike was just another of Bryson's total fabrications.

The book is funny and well written - too bad they didn't list it as fictional humor instead of as non-fiction.

Tin Man
11-30-2007, 10:25
Mister Tarlin seems to have time enough to regurgitate the same claim ("hundreds of errors") and the same tired example (Alden Partridge, P. 215) whenever a Bryson thread comes up....

Oh yes, and a pleasant good morning to you too, Rock.

Then why don't you tire us with some claims of accuracy. Too tiring? :D

jaiden
11-30-2007, 10:44
The book is funny and well written - too bad they didn't list it as fictional humor instead of as non-fiction.

I have a different perspective as an outsider to the WB community... I'm really a novice when it comes to hiking. But I must speak up for Bryson regardless of any half-truths or outright fabrications in his book.

I first read "a brief history of nearly everything" and enjoyed it thoroughly. I highly recommend it to ANYONE and everyone I've suggested it to has enjoyed it. I then picked up A Walk in the Woods simply because I liked his writing so much. Again I enjoyed his writing greatly and this helped to rekindle my interest in the outdoors. Since then I've bought and read a number of his other books and I can't fault any of them. It's always just a great fun read and I learn something along the way. I know Bryson is not well regarded here, but I think it's unfair to make him out as a villain. If you don't like his book or don't agree with parts of it, then that's fine. To me though it has been useful first and foremost as entertainment, and secondarily as an inspiration to get outdoors. If it does nothing else then it is worthwhile in my estimation.

Also, I really don't care if Katz is real or created.

rafe
11-30-2007, 10:51
Then why don't you tire us with some claims of accuracy. Too tiring? :D

I've "done my time" defending Bryson's work, as Mister Tarlin has detracting from it. It mostly rings true for me, aside from certain apparent fabrications (presumably, many or most of Katz's antics.) I happen to share Bryson's attitude & outlook on many topics, and like Bryson, I was of middle age when I attempted my thru hike in 1990. Proud to say I made it somewhat farther than Bill and Katz.

I've read pretty much everything Bryon's written, except for his latest (short) bio of William Shakespeare. At this point Bryson has several works of non-fiction under his belt, including a book about the history of science, two books about the English language, and that new bio of Shakespeare.

Worth noting that AWITW was one of Bryson's earlier works, so at the time he probably didn't have access to the very best editors and fact-checkers (nor even to Google, for that matter.) In any case (as if this needed saying,) those who dwell on the "inaccuracies" in the book are missing the point.

Tin Man
11-30-2007, 11:00
Wow. We now need editors and google to make sure our historical facts are accurate (and that is all Jack was referring to - history is history and when reported, the reporter has a responsibility to get it right). I guess we can throw out all the old history books before editors and google came along. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't really care that much as I DID enjoy the book, but you can feel free to rant on without me. I need to get ready for some real hiking and leave this Internet hike for now. Looks like I will be leaving my brass monkeys home this weekend...brrr.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2007, 11:03
....... I need to get ready for some real hiking and leave this Internet hike for now.::: Dino seen stowing away in TinMan's pack :::

Tin Man
11-30-2007, 11:05
::: Dino seen stowing away in TinMan's pack :::

Are you sure? I am going with the Boy Scouts.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2007, 11:06
I haven't gotten to spend a night out since June.... what do you think? :D

Tin Man
11-30-2007, 11:24
We will be at Great Hollow on RT 37 in New Fairfield, CT. Bring your woollies.

bjmmysgrl
11-30-2007, 11:31
I have not read this book but after reading all these posts about him and his book (I read some posts yesturday also) I will look for this book the next time I go to the book store. That way I will know what all of you are commenting on.

Grampie
11-30-2007, 11:51
Well, I didn't meet Bryson on the trail but I did meet him. In 2000 I was getting ready to leave for Springer in a couple of days. My than Son in law called me to tell me that Bill Bryson was doing a book signing in the next town. He was pushing his book about travel in Austraila. After his talk he was at a table signing books, that folks had brought. I got to the table and asked him to sign my Walk In The Woods book and that I was leaving in a few days to start a hike. The guy almost upset the table. He jumped up and shook my hand. We talked for a few minutes, while others in the long line waited. His main comment was that he wished he could have spent more time on the AT but could not because of previous commitments he had made and how much he enjoyed his time out hiking.

max patch
11-30-2007, 12:05
I like Jensine and Buddy. Stayed there on my thru and then a couple times a year until they closed - probably 30 or so nights. Camped once and stayed in the cabins the others.

Brysons comments about the bunkhouse -- while exaggerated -- have a foundation in truth. I would never stay there if other options were available.

The chili? Some liked it. Some didn't. On my thru I had a steak and a baked potato. Chili wasn't the only thing on the menu.

Jensines dad made cinnamon rolls and sausage biscuits. Good stuff. And there was always coffee in the store.

The bathhouse was clean and had hot water every time I was there.

People who didn't like Jensine were generally those who wanted there a$$ kissed becasue thery were "special." And Jensine didn't kiss no a$$.

She also didnt allow alcohol. That pissed some people off.

Rainbow Springs was a great spot on the trail. I miss it. And if you're reading this Jensine and Buddy, best wishes to you both.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2007, 12:10
We will be at Great Hollow on RT 37 in New Fairfield, CT. Bring your woollies.::: Shivering Dino peeks out from under pile of down quilts at this comment :::

Tin Man
11-30-2007, 12:12
::: Shivering Dino peeks out from under pile of down quilts at this comment :::

Inaccuweather is calling for lows around 13 tomorrow night. That will make it interesting in my 20 degree bag.

rafe
11-30-2007, 12:45
Rainbow Springs was a great spot on the trail. I miss it. And if you're reading this Jensine and Buddy, best wishes to you both.

I had an OK time there. The weather was decent. Shared a cabin down by the river with a fellow hiker by the name of Slabber. It was fine. No real issues with Buddy or Jensine, though I recall the chili being decidedly mediocre.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-30-2007, 12:54
Inaccuweather is calling for lows around 13 tomorrow night. That will make it interesting in my 20 degree bag.::: Shivering dino offers TinMan a down quilt :::

smokymtnsteve
11-30-2007, 19:03
I have a copy of walk in the woods ..that jenisine and buddy autographed for me

'bill byson should keep to writing books and keep his ass of the AT'

is what she wrote!

SGT Rock
12-01-2007, 14:35
I have a copy of walk in the woods ..that jenisine and buddy autographed for me

'bill byson should keep to writing books and keep his ass of the AT'

is what she wrote!
Sweet. :sun

horicon
12-01-2007, 14:40
I though that Bill Bryson has moved back to Englan??

horicon
12-01-2007, 14:40
I mean England.

J5man
12-06-2007, 01:16
So then, "TheOldPhart" and "grampie" were the only two that actually met him?

horicon
12-06-2007, 15:43
I have never meet them.

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2007, 15:55
Um, note to Terrapin who thinks AWITW was an "early work" and thereore Bryson didn't have access to good editors or fact checkers.

He's actually had three books already published, they'd sold well, and he was a well-known author working for a major publisher.

For you to say that he didn't have the means to insure that his book was remotely acurate only shows that you know as much about publishing as you do about the Trail.

Plain and simply, I don't think he was overly interested in accuracy.

The fact remains that the book is positively riddled with errors (you can't go more than a few pages without finding one), and in a work that claims to be non-fiction, this is not a good thing.

Lion King
12-06-2007, 16:15
Right now...I have Bill Bryson in a large Hefty Sack tied up and under the crawl space in the Sleep Well Hotel in Griswold Iowa.

I have a small bat I plan to hit him with and for each person who despises him, please send a dollar to me with your personal torture demands and I will see what I can do.

Before I toss him into the snow to allow the Wolves and Bobcats to gnaw off his fingers and toes, if any are left after the 'mail order torture', I will have him sign a statement..or better yet, much like in MISERY, force him to write a book apologizing to everyone who has been offended by his success, no matter how unjustified and undignifed it may appear to be.

Send you letters care of General D, Nebraska...

D'Artagnan
12-06-2007, 16:23
There's a video on YouTube of an interview Bryson did with Charlie Rose many years ago. It's an hour-long show with Bryson at the end, but if you've got high speed, it doesn't take too long to load. I thought it was an interesting look at the man being discussed here and how he described his experience.

I hope this link works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGewWRpq9Us

The Weasel
12-06-2007, 16:26
So then, "TheOldPhart" and "grampie" were the only two that actually met him?

I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Dartmouth Bookstore in '00 when he was doing a book signing. We chatted briefly and pleasantly, although he grimaced when I mentioned eating chili at Rainbow Springs. Since the Bookstore is adjacent to the Trail, I'm not sure if that counts as "meeting him on the AT" or not.

TW

Tin Man
12-06-2007, 16:38
I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Dartmouth Bookstore in '00 when he was doing a book signing. We chatted briefly and pleasantly, although he grimaced when I mentioned eating chili at Rainbow Springs. Since the Bookstore is adjacent to the Trail, I'm not sure if that counts as "meeting him on the AT" or not.

TW

TW,

Were there white or blue blazes leading into the store? No? Then I don't think your case would hold up in court. :D

The Weasel
12-06-2007, 16:43
Well, there weren't any white blazes at Rainbow Springs, either. But the Bookstore was listed in Wingfoot's guide, which, by late fall in '00, I'd finally received. So I think I'd have a shot at winning, especially with Dan Bruce there!

TW

Tin Man
12-06-2007, 16:50
Well, there weren't any white blazes at Rainbow Springs, either. But the Bookstore was listed in Wingfoot's guide, which, by late fall in '00, I'd finally received. So I think I'd have a shot at winning, especially with Dan Bruce there!

TW

Well, if it's good enough for Dan, it should be good enough for anyone. :rolleyes:

The Weasel
12-06-2007, 17:37
Well, if it's good enough for Dan, it should be good enough for anyone. :rolleyes:

Dan. Bill. Jensine. Ahh....a meeting such as dreams are made of.

TW

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2007, 17:43
Did anyone actually see Bryson or Bryson & Katz out on the trail? Were they at a shelter with anyone? It seems more people should have seen them if they actually hiked as far as the book says.

The Weasel
12-06-2007, 17:47
Trust me. They walked as far as they said; the trail of irritated service providers who remember them makes THAT clear!

TW

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2007, 17:53
Trust me. They walked as far as they said; the trail of irritated service providers who remember them makes THAT clear!I don't doubt they were in the areas and probably hiked some, but I do wonder if he or they actually attempted a thru-hike or just kind of hung around the trail for research purposes. Don't want to start the whole Bryson bashing thing, but when I read it I just didn't get the feeling that thru hiking was ever a real goal for the author.

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2007, 18:07
Whatever they were attempting, their alleged goal of thru-hiking ended in Gatlinburg, TN. after completing less than a tenth of the Trail.

Mr. Bryson had a contract with his publisher to mail in a book on the Appalachian Trail. Period. He never committed to doing the whole thing.

And in retrospect, for him, this was a wise decision.

BlackCloud
12-06-2007, 18:42
W/o fail, everytime someone starts a Bryson thread, you guys go nuts. It's great.
:bse
Someone start a poll:

Who do you hate more?
Bryson? or Wingfoot?

Jack Tarlin
12-06-2007, 18:49
Your poll is unnecessary....I'm willing to bet, BlackCloud, that 99.9% of the folks here don't hate either of those gentlemen.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2007, 18:54
Your poll is unnecessary....I'm willing to bet, BlackCloud, that 99.9% of the folks here don't hate either of those gentlemen.::: Dino nods in agreement :::
Questioning and hatred are not the same thing.

mrc237
12-06-2007, 18:58
W/o fail, everytime someone starts a Bryson thread, you guys go nuts. It's great.
:bse
Someone start a poll:

Who do you hate more?
Bryson? or Wingfoot?

No hatred here. Both are Trail Legends!

max patch
12-06-2007, 19:03
Who do you hate more?
Bryson? or Wingfoot?

And whats funny is that the haters keep buying their books...

Tin Man
12-06-2007, 19:17
Put me down as "do not hate them".

To all my fellow WB'ers:

After coming to WB and participating in the discussions about Bill and Dan, I have concluded the following:

Bill is an author.

Dan published a hiking guide.

Bill found out that trail is not what he thought it was, like many before him.

Dan has a singular viewpoint on how to hike the trail, like many others.

Bill did not finish the trail, like many before him.

Dan has moved on to pursue other interests, like many before him.

Dan tries to help people, like many others.

Bill tries to help himself, like many others.

Nothing to hate here, they are just people.

Perhaps all the discussion and animosity comes from a) they are well known, which by itself draws interest, good and bad, and b) they have presented themselves a little differently than we envision we would be in their position of influence. Dan and Bill are individuals and are not perfect. Are you?

brotheral
12-06-2007, 19:24
I'm waiting for Terrapin's reply to post #49 !! Hope it comes soon. Survivor is on at 8pm !! James really blew it last week.........After every series ends, I say I'm not watching the next one. I guess I'm hooked !! Sorry for getting off track..... Happy Trails......... BrotherAL

Rain Man
01-15-2008, 22:14
There's a video on YouTube of an interview Bryson did with Charlie Rose many years ago. It's an hour-long show with Bryson at the end, but if you've got high speed, it doesn't take too long to load. I thought it was an interesting look at the man being discussed here and how he described his experience.

I hope this link works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGewWRpq9Us

I watched the interview and enjoyed it, just for "background." It was done/broadcast on 30 June 1998.

The Bryson interview starts at 44:44 into the show, which runs about 57:20 long, total. So, you don't have to sit for 44 minutes wading through the earlier interviews if you don't want to. Just move that "slider" to 44:44 or so and sit back.

I had to jack up the sound as this YouTube file seemed to be much much "quieter" than others I've heard. For what it's worth.

Rain:sunMan

rafe
01-16-2008, 11:15
In the interview, Bryson says Katz is for real. Not that there was much doubt about that, though some still seem to believe that Katz is fictional. His account to Charlie Rose matches the written account in the book, as far as I recall.

Captain Slider
01-16-2008, 12:57
Katz was real.. and many remember him.. His real name is Matthew Angerer..