PDA

View Full Version : Splints as pack stays!?!

Passionphish
11-29-2007, 22:19
I am thinking of using one or two sam splints (http://www.rei.com/product/407040) as pack stays.

I am using a Jam 2 from GoLite. I am going to wrap the splints around the ends of the provided foam padding in line with the straps to the hip belt. That's multi purpose and might increase the load capacity by a couple of pounds! What do you guys think?

SGT Rock
11-29-2007, 23:38
I don't think it will help much - but I could be way wrong on that. I guess it depends on how you shape them before they go in the pack.

Passionphish
12-02-2007, 19:41
I was thinking of shaping them like they recommend for a full leg splint. But becuase that would be too long I would keep the shape and just double the end at the base of the pack. I think that would add some strength to it. Folded in the shape of a U those splints are impossible to bend! I figured they would help some. I'm not looking for a major improvement but along the lines of multi use items I thought that it would be a good idea.

Kerosene
12-02-2007, 21:58
Interesting idea.

The Old Fhart
12-02-2007, 22:49
A SAM splint is too malleable and wouldn't hold a shape long with the bumps it would take on a trip. A better plan might be to make your stays out of aluminum that will hold a shape and use them as splints if you ever need them. It is a great idea to try to make some item serve more than one purpose.

JAK
12-02-2007, 23:29
I am thinking of using one or two sam splints (http://www.rei.com/product/407040) as pack stays.

I am using a Jam 2 from GoLite. I am going to wrap the splints around the ends of the provided foam padding in line with the straps to the hip belt. That's multi purpose and might increase the load capacity by a couple of pounds! What do you guys think?It is a rather cool idea. You might also fashion your own that would have a duel, or truel (?) purpose of being frame/first aid/sleeping pad while minimizing weight. I have a Jam2. Just got it. What I've done so far is loaded my 72"x28"x3/8" pad first, coiled with the 28" vertical, and load everthing inside that. It takes up a good portion of the room but it is very comfy and makes the pack alot stronger, I think. I also replaced the pad that came in the frame sleeve, as blue foam is better. Haven't tried it with 15 pounds of winter food yet. For more space I might cut back the 72" to 48" or 54", and use the pack with its pad for my lower legs. Haven't tried that yet either. I think my feet are too big.

Passionphish
12-06-2007, 19:45
Well, I received my Jam2 pack. I grabbed all of my gear. Slammed it in to the Jam 2 and Ta-da!!!!! It is way too small.

It would be great for a solo trip. But if I need to grab gear from my daughter or mother for what ever reason there just is not enough room. I am so bummed.... So much for my sam splints idea...

JAK
12-06-2007, 20:45
Yeah its borderline for me too. Think I might make it work though.
Have you thought of a front pack to go with it?

Passionphish
12-07-2007, 22:50
Actually I did think about it. But with my mother and daughter going. I just decided to get the Pinnicle instead. I am also hoping that there will be more room in the pack allowing me to try my splint idea. But the load straps and 4400 ci was just to much to pass up.

As for the front pack. The two plans I have looked into was the Simblissity Unslack pack (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/simblissity_unslack_pack.html), and a modified travelers pack (http://www.rei.com/product/747931). I used them both by hooking each between my shoulder straps at about chest level. But the travelers pack was way too heavy. And the Unslack pack was just plain too small.

What were your ideas? We may start a new thread here!!!

Dirtygaiters
12-08-2007, 21:45
Gossamer Gear uses carbon fiber arrow shafts as pack stays in their Miniposa pack. I imagine that slightly more comfortable performance could be gotten out of aluminim arrow shafts that were heated up and shaped to a more ergonomic curve, though.