PDA

View Full Version : The hike is ON!

Auntie Mame
11-30-2007, 01:51
I have been waiting patiently, I think (!), for the word from my job that my leave of absence has been ok'd. Well, it has as of today! I am beyond happy, and now can talk more openly about the whole thing, as the planning unfolds. Am so glad to have a chance to say hello to one another before heading out. Looking at an early March start, traveling as a team with my twin sister, Jan. (V8). :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

EWS
11-30-2007, 02:12
Congrats, I'm glad the hurdle has been cleared.

Smile
11-30-2007, 02:17
So you couldn't be happier if you were twins! And you ARE :)

Congratulations AM, I hope you have a wonderful journey!

warraghiyagey
11-30-2007, 02:21
Nice work auntie!!!! Congrats on emerging from the closet. Now everyone can know you're going to be a - GASP - thru hiker. Good for you. should see you around NY/Conn. :) :) :)
SOBO8

Rain Man
11-30-2007, 09:52
Congrats ... to you both! I like people born in 1951! LOL

Just FYI, your Trail Journals link does not work.

Rain:sunMan

brotheral
11-30-2007, 10:37
Good-Good-Good for you !!!! I'm a 1951 Taurus !!
I'll be keeping you and sister in my prayers and checking your progress.
Happy trails...........BrotherAL

Thoughtful Owl
11-30-2007, 11:49
I am envious! Congrats to you.

Grampie
11-30-2007, 11:56
Best of luck to you and your sister. It should be great fun to hike with her.:sun

Grandma
11-30-2007, 11:59
I have been waiting patiently, I think (!), for the word from my job that my leave of absence has been ok'd. Well, it has as of today! I am beyond happy, and now can talk more openly about the whole thing, as the planning unfolds. Am so glad to have a chance to say hello to one another before heading out. Looking at an early March start, traveling as a team with my twin sister, Jan. (V8). :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
That's wonderful, I'm happy for you! I followed your husband's (Uncle Tom) journal this year. Looking forward to reading your view of the hike.

Auntie Mame
11-30-2007, 20:42
Its incredibly sweet of all of you to send your good wishes. And yes, my way of travel and such is very different from Tom's. That's why I chose to forgo the trip with him. Originally we were going to hike together, since we had hiked as a family all our married lives. However, I could tell that it would be a set-up for struggle and disharmony if I tried to hike his hike, or he, mine. Jan was planning to go this coming season and graciously asked me to join her. Bingo! We have very similar paces and energy levels, complementary senses of humor and an easy communication style. I love that I have this chance to spend time with her and to support each others journey. Tom is now 110% behind us and may be able to do a few sections with us this season. There's nothing like a recent thru-hiker for enthusiastic trail support.
Thanks again to all of you for caring, and it will be a blast to see you along the way. Mame

butynski
11-30-2007, 20:45
How hard was it to get your leave and how early did you put it in? I haven't put mine in yet.

Marta
11-30-2007, 20:50
I'm so excited for you! Have a wonderful hike!

Auntie Mame
12-01-2007, 00:37
Thanks, Marta: You are one of OUR trail legends! Hope to see you maybe at Trail days? Glad you were able to do the western trail piece this summer.

Butynski, I asked for the boss' help in finding a way for me to take advantage of the opportunity to join my sister in the hike. The hard part was screwing up my courage to ask, because I so did not want to hear, "No." It was also important to get my ducks in a row, because once they start looking for a replacement, its kind of awkward to say, "uh, gee, can I have my job back..." I knew I had to be sure I could in fact, go. Good luck with it. Mame

Marta
12-01-2007, 07:28
Hope to see you maybe at Trail days?

Very likely. I'll probably be driving there instead of walking, though.:o

Kirby
12-02-2007, 19:41
Go Mainers!

Kirby

bigboots
12-02-2007, 19:48
I'm under the same situation...I have everything ready to go, but I need to ask the boss about leave or find out what my options are. I have most things planned out for an 08 hike, but am prepared (although I dont know if my excitement for hitting the trail can wait) for an 09 departure.

bigboots

wrongway_08
12-02-2007, 20:06
cool, hope to see you out there, will be starting in March also.
CONGRATS!