PDA

View Full Version : Water situation near Damascus

Rentman
11-30-2007, 18:48
Anyone got an update on the water situation between Dennis Cove and Damascus. Plan on hiking it next week. Will carry extra water since the last update said no water at some of the shelters and it really hasn't rained enough to get the water table up.......thanks.................

Tennessee Viking
12-01-2007, 01:43
Expect the dryness.

You will not have too much problems with water until going up to Pond Flats from Dennis Cove. Laurel Fork is still flowing. But everything after that is pretty dry.

Pond Flats is dry.

Last report I heard, all area springs to Watauga Lake are dry. Even Griffith Branch which is the heaviest flowing. The lake shelter is dry. I would suggest going to the Watauga Dam visitor center to refill water.

The Iron Mountain trek is completely dry from last reports.

At times a few people will have a water drop at TN91. With all the sobos gone through, I don't think there will be anymore water. If you have time, I recommend stashing a water cash around TN91 trailhead. Many other sectioners have down it. Holston Mtn is pretty much dry. There might be some water, but I wouldn't count on it.

Since you are starting at Dennsi Cove, check with Kincora Hostel to see how the water situation is. Bob Peoples usually has the most up to date water info. But definitely pack extra water.

TEHCC.org will have some pretty recent water updates.

Rentman
12-09-2007, 15:24
Got back yesterday, a day later than expected, Thanks Lone Wolf for calming my wife down and going out of your way to check on me for her. Sorry for the call at 1:00 a.m.....:eek:
Anyways, just an update on water in this section. Abingdon Shelter, water way down the hill but it's there, Double Spings Shelter has water and .8 south of it there is water. Iron Mtn Shelter there is supposed to be water way down the hill according to the shelter journal, I just melted snow and got 2+ liters. Vandeventer Shelter, I didn't go down to look, it was a good way down the hill. Watauga Lake Shelter, there was an entry in the journal about water about 50 feet up from the normal spring, that was about a week ago. If you are going South I would stop at the first Campsite just past the Dam and get water from the Lake. From there to Dennis Cove you have the lake ofcourse, bathrooms closed and water turn off at the Beach/Swimming area, and Laurel Falls area good. All other springs and streams are dry.
Enjoyed the hike, cold and snow on the ground most of the way. Finally to Virginia, three states down, eleven to go..........:banana

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 15:35
Got back yesterday, a day later than expected, Thanks Lone Wolf for calming my wife down and going out of your way to check on me for her. Sorry for the call at 1:00 a.m.....:eek:

not a problem. it's all part of the extraordinary service i provide :)

Pacific Tortuga
12-09-2007, 15:38
[quote=Rentman;468117]Got back yesterday, a day later than expected, Thanks Lone Wolf for calming my wife down and going out of your way to check on me for her. Sorry for the call at 1:00 a.m.....:eek:

L. Wolf is the last of hard as nail, tough talkin', beer drinkin, blue blazin, kill it and grill it boy scouts in Damascus. His trail name should be the "Clutch Medic", he always seems to come through when someone really needs help. Your a good egg Wolf, probably would make a good comander n chief, mayor?

Dow
08-25-2008, 09:33
Expect the dryness.

You will not have too much problems with water until going up to Pond Flats from Dennis Cove. Laurel Fork is still flowing. But everything after that is pretty dry.

Pond Flats is dry.

Last report I heard, all area springs to Watauga Lake are dry. Even Griffith Branch which is the heaviest flowing. The lake shelter is dry. I would suggest going to the Watauga Dam visitor center to refill water.

The Iron Mountain trek is completely dry from last reports.

At times a few people will have a water drop at TN91. With all the sobos gone through, I don't think there will be anymore water. If you have time, I recommend stashing a water cash around TN91 trailhead. Many other sectioners have down it. Holston Mtn is pretty much dry. There might be some water, but I wouldn't count on it.

Since you are starting at Dennsi Cove, check with Kincora Hostel to see how the water situation is. Bob Peoples usually has the most up to date water info. But definitely pack extra water.

TEHCC.org will have some pretty recent water updates.

Whats the status of the waters in these area? With the cool cloud covers and lots of rain from hurricane Fay , I would think the waters are back on these trails. Could I be right?
Dow

Lone Wolf
08-25-2008, 09:40
Whats the status of the waters in these area? With the cool cloud covers and lots of rain from hurricane Fay , I would think the waters are back on these trails. Could I be right?
Dow

wrong. water is very low on the ridges. we haven't had any rain in well over a week