Just thought some members of the group may be interested in my website
at http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/index.html
"Dances with Marmots" is an account of my five month hike from Mexico
to Canada along the PCT - and a look at the US wilderness through the
eyes of a Kiwi! (New Zealander)
Cheers, Geo. :)

SunnyWalker
04-24-2008, 02:42
I bought your book, Geo. It was really a good read. Thanks for including the gear list. Any long trails in NZ?

Heater
04-24-2008, 04:37
Just thought some members of the group may be interested in my website
at http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/index.html
"Dances with Marmots" is an account of my five month hike from Mexico
to Canada along the PCT - and a look at the US wilderness through the
eyes of a Kiwi! (New Zealander)
Cheers, Geo. :)

Hey, I think I read that when you still had it all online before the book was out. Am I imagining things?

Geo.
04-24-2008, 05:50
I bought your book, Geo. It was really a good read. Thanks for including the gear list. Any long trails in NZ?

Hi SunnyWalker,
Glad you enjoyed the read! :)
There's a thru trail (Te Araroa, which means "the long pathway") that extends through both Islands here in NZ.
They have a site for it at Te Araroa (http://www.teararoa.org.nz)
I've thru hiked the North Island (72 days) making my own trail, but haven't thru hiked the South Island, though had the privilege of scouting a section of it for them there when the te araroa trail was being set up. (Wanaka to Arrowtown)
Also accompanied Geoff Chapple on one section of it for a few days when he was 'test driving' it.

Hey, I think I read that when you still had it all online before the book was out. Am I imagining things?

Hi Austexs,
No, rest easy, you aren't imagining things! ;)
I had a version online for quite a while before being persuaded to get into print. The book is an edited version of the original online one with some extra stuff in it though.

Cheers, George

Footslogger
04-24-2008, 10:07
Hey George ...you responded to several of my threads/posts over on Adventureonthepct.com website and gave me some great ideas.

Just ordered your book. Looking forward to it ...

'Slogger

Geo.
04-25-2008, 18:25
Hi 'slogger,
Have you had a crack at the PCT yet, or is that still pending? Curious to know how you got on with or decided about re' the ice axe/crampon thing.
Cheers, George.
PS Impressive beard 'slogger! Guess you can leave a balaclava off the gear list! ;)

Footslogger
04-25-2008, 21:18
Hi 'slogger,
Have you had a crack at the PCT yet, or is that still pending? Curious to know how you got on with or decided about re' the ice axe/crampon thing.
Cheers, George.
PS Impressive beard 'slogger! Guess you can leave a balaclava off the gear list! ;)
========================

Actually George, PCT plans are sort of on hold at the moment. Had a heart attack (totally out of the blue) on 3/2. No history, no symptoms ...just KABAM !!

Had (still have) all my gear lined up and ready to go. Probably won't use crampons but picked up something called the "Whippet" from Black Diamond to use for self arrest.

But I have to get myself back in shape first. In rehab now and making great progress. Hope to make a full recovery and get back to all the things I love to do. Might have to go light on the 2009 hiking season though.

Looking forward to reading your book ...

'Slogger

Geo.
04-26-2008, 06:41
========================

Actually George, PCT plans are sort of on hold at the moment. Had a heart attack (totally out of the blue) on 3/2. No history, no symptoms ...just KABAM !!

Really sorry to hear that 'slogger. All my very best for a full recovery, and hope that the book at least sort of gets you out on the PCT while 'confined to base' in rehab.
Your hiking history will surely help put you in good stead for a solid recovery and hopefully it won't be too long before you're out there 'pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down again!
Be well,
George.

SunnyWalker
05-01-2008, 20:49
Hey Footsloger: Sorry to hear about your heart attack. Glad you are in rehab. Keep us informed and I would love to hear about your hike when you start.

SunnyWalker
07-24-2008, 23:16
Hey Geo: have you thru hike the AT or are you thinking of it?

Geo.
07-26-2008, 20:56
Hey Geo: have you thru hike the AT or are you thinking of it?

Hi SunnyWalker,
No, haven't hiked the AT, but it kind of niggles away at the back of my mind.
I'm actually off to the UK to do a west to east hike this September. (did a south to north a couple of yrs ago)
Main reason I'm heading to the UK for another decent hike and not the US, is that I have an elderly aunt living there and it'll be a chance to see her one more time. The PCT still leaves me with the lasting impression that the US has the best hiking territory though! :)

SunnyWalker
07-27-2008, 19:59
What a great compliment. Well, I guess I would not want to be on the PCT in Cal today.

rafe
07-27-2008, 20:28
What a great compliment. Well, I guess I would not want to be on the PCT in Cal today.

Why? The fires? The smoke? Yeah, they've mucked with my plans... but I'm still going!

mudhead
07-27-2008, 20:55
New fire outside the west entrance to Yosemite. Midpines, CA. Can't get back to my newspage for a news story. Bunch of evacs. Lots of fuel.

rafe
07-27-2008, 21:08
New fire outside the west entrance to Yosemite. Midpines, CA. Can't get back to my newspage for a news story. Bunch of evacs. Lots of fuel.

Ah, that would explain the red clouds in central CA in this (http://www.weather.gov/aq/sectors/northcalifornia.php) map. This has been the summer for dodging smoke and fires. For the last month or two I've been watching the plume centered on Redding and Shasta-Trinity.

mudhead
07-27-2008, 21:17
http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?ps=1018&id=14793686&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

Saw on CNN this AM, was 20yrs ago the area burned. Maybe it will rain.

MyName1sMud
08-06-2008, 00:41
Sounds good!

SunnyWalker
09-26-2008, 17:53
I hiked in the West Cascades for a month one time and there occurred at the same time the worst forest fires in their history. I don't want to do that again.