PDA

View Full Version : Bag in a Hammock?

bredler
11-30-2007, 21:15
I know that most people reccommend using a quilt in a hammock, but is there any reason save that it's easier to get into(under) than a bag? People say that the insulation just gets crushed and does't do much good, but with a quilt you have none at all.

Is the hype about quilts to save weight as well?

Essentially I don't have the bucks to shell out for a quilt and I'm not sure I could sew one up. Would a decent down bag do okay?

Also, what bags do you use if you do use a bag in a hammock?

bigcranky
11-30-2007, 21:20
Any bag can be used as a quilt. Just zip it up part way, stick your feet in the end, and drape it over your body. Instant quilt. Easy to get in and out, and your pad or underquilt insulates your backside.

The only downside is that your bag is larger (wider) than a hammocking-specific quilt, and thus a little heavier. No big deal.

FWIW I've used several different bags inside my hammock. In very cold weather, I zip up like a regular sleeping bag, but in warmer weather, the quilt/bag thing works fine.

Cuffs
11-30-2007, 21:21
i use a mont bell #1 bag in my HH, but for real in depth info try hammockforums.net

Hikerhead
11-30-2007, 21:29
Sure, use a bad with your hammock. But also use some foam padding underneath. I have a Clark Hammock and use the close cell foam padding that came with another pack underneath me. I currently use a ULA pack and traded out the hard plastic backboard for the foam that came in another pack. I currently use a 10 degree Western Mountainering bag but will use a 20 Marmot bag in the warmer months. Both are down bags. You didn't say what kind of hammock you have, I'll assume it's a Hennessey. My Clark has an additional piece of fabric called the weather shield that allows me to completely zip it over me. This keeps the cold wind out and the warm air in.

sasquatch2014
11-30-2007, 21:33
I think that a lot of it depends on the hammock that you plan on hanging in. I can only speak from my experience which is with a Clark NA. I just use a standard mummy bag most of the time in the warmer weather I just sleep with it mostly open. In this last camp when it was mid 20's I zipped it almost all the way up and this was with a cheap 0 degree bag (maybe a 10 degree bag in reality.

A lot of people also use an underquilt. the reason I went with the Clark NA was to avoid having one more piece of gear that I need to haul with me. the pockets will help with the insualtion.

take-a-knee
11-30-2007, 21:57
A quilt saves a few ounces, it's biggest advantage is it is MUCH easier to get comfortable in the hammock. Getting into a side zip sleeping bag inside a hammock is akin to donning a straight jacket. A quilt works really well down to freezing or so, any colder and keeping your head covered is an issue. You can buy a down hood from Nunatak or JRB (they make primo down quilts also) or a polarguard balaclava from Bozeman Mountain Works (Backpacking Light carries them).

As for ideal sleeping bags for hammock use the "wearable" bags like the Rock Wren or Exped Wallcreeper make life a lot easier. They have a drawstring foot and arm holes. To enter a bottom entry hammock like a hennessey wearing the bag you simply enter, turn toward the foot, hike the bag a few inches and sit down. Pull your feet up, close the drawstring foot and pull your arms back through the arm holes and enjoy.

In the primaloft Exped Wallcreeper I can sleep down to forty or so on a 30in wide 1/4in pad. With the Rock Wren and a JRB Nest I can sleep down into the 20's. Underquilts for hammocks are the bee's knees, the DIY Kickass Quilt in synthetic or the JRB in down. Try a wide foam pad first like the 30in pad that Speer Hammocks sells, some people have back sweats from lying on the pads some don't. Some make their own underquilts that cover from head to buttocks and double a CCF pad under their legs. Finding out what works for you before you head out on a trip is essential, staying warm in a hammock has a learning curve but it is worth it. Be sure and visit Hammock Forums for all about hammock camping.

whitefoot_hp
12-01-2007, 12:22
i have noticed that when i use my sleeping bag as a quilt in my hammock, it does not keep me as warm than if i get into the bag

take-a-knee
12-01-2007, 12:25
i have noticed that when i use my sleeping bag as a quilt in my hammock, it does not keep me as warm than if i get into the bag

Probably because you head isn't properly covered.

whitefoot_hp
12-01-2007, 12:48
Probably because you head isn't properly covered.
i think its more than that. When you use your bag as a bag, you eliminate drafts on the side. And if your like me, and dont have an UQ or extra wide enough pad, your sleeping bag has to serve this function. i always have a piece of CCF to use specifically for my head and always a beanie and balaclava, so i dont think that was the main issue.

Ewker
12-01-2007, 12:51
a sleeping bag used as a quilt works just fine.

johnny quest
12-01-2007, 14:00
i have got RECTANGULAR kelty lightyear down bag just for hammocking. from what i can tell only cabela sells them. its a large quilt, its a quilt with a footbox, its a sleeping bag, all depending on where i zip it to.

FanaticFringer
12-01-2007, 19:12
i think its more than that. When you use your bag as a bag, you eliminate drafts on the side. And if your like me, and dont have an UQ or extra wide enough pad, your sleeping bag has to serve this function. i always have a piece of CCF to use specifically for my head and always a beanie and balaclava, so i dont think that was the main issue.

I think it probably has to do with the extra material on each side that is finding space for cold air to enter. If properly used as a top quilt, the bag should work o.k. A quilt conforms to the hammock much bettter.

johnny quest
12-01-2007, 19:33
spe and quilt make a good combo

saimyoji
12-01-2007, 19:50
ONLY FOLLOW THIS IF YOU ARE VERY CAREFUL. :D

1st: Make sure your hammock has very low draft ( I use a risk test hammock exclusively with this method-not tested on any other hammock): the sides do not climb up very high.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13731&c=searchresults&searchid=11439

2nd: Run the hammock the length of your bag inside. So the bag should be like a cocoon around the hammock.

3rd. Hang the hammock as usual, but shorten the tie points so the bag isn't stressed (usually less than 6.5 ft tree to tree).

(These steps can be done in reverse order as needed.)

Now your hammock should be hanging with the bag loosely hanging around the hammock. To get in, slide the bag towards the foot end (unzip some if need be), get in the hammock, then pull the bag up around you. I've had good results with this method, but not in cold weather.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13733&catid=searchresults&searchid=11439
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13732&c=searchresults&searchid=11439

Been drinking wine (from a box) so I hope this has made some sense and is helpful. Notice I used an expander to give the bag more girth? That was back when I was fat and needed the expander anyway. :)

EWS
12-02-2007, 01:16
That's an interesting techinque that looks like it could work quite well saimyoli.