PDA

View Full Version : Old External Frame

oreotragus
12-01-2007, 14:44
Well today I went to a yard sale for the first time in years - I didn't see anything interesting and as I was leaving, I noticed an old external frame backpack off to the side. I asked the lady how much, and she said $2! I bought it and I really like it. It's a Jasper No. 4734. It seems pretty old, but only one zipper is messed up. The rest is fine.

I have a new, unused GoLite Quest (internal frame) for me, so I got it for my boyfriend. He's agreed to do the Foothills Trail with me in March on my spring break (he's not a hiker, so I'm amazed that he wants to go). I like this external frame so much that I think I'll keep it for myself and just lend it to him though. ;)

I just wanted to share about the great deal that I found! I never go to yard sales, so this was just a random coincidence.

Doughnut
12-01-2007, 15:05
Jenni, If the bag is dry rotted or needs replacing, may I suggest looking at Cabela's? I have an old freighter frame from Camp Trails and replaced my bag with the one from Cabela's and I couldn't be happier with the set up,

Dough Nut

oreotragus
12-01-2007, 15:08
Thanks for the info. It's in pretty good condition as is though. I couldn't find much wrong with it except for the broken zipper on one of the pockets. I think it was a very good deal for 2 bucks.

russb
12-01-2007, 15:31
I often find used external packs at yard sales for prices like you found. I buy them and donate them to the local Boy Scout troop. Mess kits are also easy to come by. These items are much appreciated.