PDA

View Full Version : Steve Longley aka Ferryman recognized as ATC partner of the year

woodsy
12-01-2007, 18:51
For extraordinary service to the AT for more than 20 years as Kennebec Ferryman.
Story in this quarter of the MAINEtainer.
A brief summary not online)
The ATC has never before recognized a contractor who provides a great and often times lifesaving service to the AT hiker.
Steve has provided a premier example of heroic and faithful contractor service to the ATC and AT hiker.
The article does not mention that Steve also provided a hostel, trail store, free rides and shuttles to umpteen thousands of hikers.
Let's have a warm round of applause for Steve and his staff from all of you who benefited and appreciated his services!

woodsy

Just a Hiker
12-01-2007, 18:52
Thanks Steve! You are a stand-up guy!

Just Jim

mudhead
12-01-2007, 19:01
Bet you'll miss it! Hope you enjoyed your tenure.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-01-2007, 20:17
Well-deserved honor and going to one of the most honorable men I know.

Footslogger
12-01-2007, 20:41
For extraordinary service to the AT for more than 20 years as Kennebec Ferryman.
Story in this quarter of the MAINEtainer.
A brief summary not online)
The ATC has never before recognized a contractor who provides a great and often times lifesaving service to the AT hiker.
Steve has provided a premier example of heroic and faithful contractor service to the ATC and AT hiker.
The article does not mention that Steve also provided a hostel, trail store, free rides and shuttles to umpteen thousands of hikers.
Let's have a warm round of applause for Steve and his staff from all of you who benefited and appreciated his services!

woodsy

=======================================

Good for him !! Met Steve for the first time this past August when my wife and I hiked from Rangely to Monson.

'Slogger

Rain Man
12-01-2007, 23:14
Hear, hear!!! Three cheers for Steve Longley, the Ferryman!

Met him in September '04 at the first (?) WhiteBlaze gathering. A nice fellow.

Rain:sunMan

LIhikers
12-01-2007, 23:25
:clap BRAVO :clap

Jim Adams
12-02-2007, 02:46
Nice!
Steve definitely deserves the recogmition for such good service to AT hikers. I stayed at his campground for 3 days in 2002 and his hospitality was incredible.
Thanks Steve.

geek

OregonHiker
12-02-2007, 03:34

woodsy

Yes, but can he ford the river?

Sorry... I am a bad boy and can't resist stirring the pot:(

Good on you Steve:banana

freefall
12-02-2007, 05:58
:clap:clap:clap Good show!

warraghiyagey
12-02-2007, 15:24
Thanks Steve for the rides, the ferry, great conversation and helping all my fellow hikers. Peace.
Hope you'll be around next year for a chat on my way through.

Jack Tarlin
12-02-2007, 18:31
Wow! This is overdue but absolutely deserved.

Congratulations to Steve and thank you for everything!

Kirby
12-02-2007, 21:50
Never met him, but I send him a congradulations, and wish him the best of luck,
Kirby

Kerosene
12-02-2007, 21:57
Congrats, Steve. Glad to see that folks appreciate your dedication and assistance. I hope I'll be able to meet you in person in 2013!

ferryman
12-03-2007, 16:09
First of all, I would like to thank Bob Proudman, Matt Stevens and all the folks from the ATC and the Maine ATC for presenting this New England "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award to me recently. For twenty years, I had an incredible amount of help from over 70 people, some still living and others now on the other side. All I can say is Thank You! I remember back in "86" when I spent three hours hitchhiking to meet with MATC personnel near Waterville to be interviewed for the job. After the interview, I had to stall long enough for them to leave so they wouldn't see me hitchhiking home. At that time I would never imagine spending over 3,330 days by the side of a river with a paddle making a living or transporting over 19,000 hikers across "without a scratch", given the strong independent nature of trail hikers. Yesterday, I pulled the last canoe out of the crossing, but not without the obligatory "Our Father", "Hail Mary" and "As It Was In The Beginning" prayers I would say everyday waiting on hikers. The Spirituality of the river became the spirit of me. Add to this special place all the hikers from every "walk" of life and no one could have been as blessed. To all the pro-forders out there...Peace. Part of me felt compelled to jump into the internet fray to not only raise my heart palpations "wicked", but to protect the other ferrymen who asked only to go home to loved ones after the job was done. Besides, chasing hikers out in the open, moving river was just getting too hard for this 50 yo body. And now a foot of snow has fallen upon the river landscape opening up a new season while laying to rest the memories of hiker season's past. I have the wood stove and kerosene lantern both burning brightly so if the power goes out, I will still be the grateful ferryman to all the hikers right here in the middle of the north Maine woods. Happy Holidays, Steve Longley

Tinker
12-03-2007, 16:28
Thanks for the ride, Steve, even though you were off somewhere else that day, there was someone waiting for me and my son on our way north.
Great job.

gravityman
12-03-2007, 18:36
Of all the service providers out there, Steve is one of the few that we never heard a bad word of on the trail.

Good Job!

Gravity (and Danger) GAME 2005

warren doyle
12-04-2007, 07:23
Congratulations to you Steve.
A well-deserved honor.
And peace to you as well.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 10:45
Wow! This is overdue but absolutely deserved.

Congratulations to Steve and thank you for everything!

Congratulations to you Steve.
A well-deserved honor.
And peace to you as well.

Finally, neutral ground where two can agree and we do not have to worry about the universe imploding. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve, congratulations. I was hoping to get to the Kennebec before you retired. Now I can only hope your legacy will be carried forward with the next service provider. Coach him or her well.