PDA

View Full Version : Good Thru Hiking Jacket

austinlowes17
12-02-2007, 16:48
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good thru hiking jacket. I'm planning a northbound hike that will start in mid March. I want something with synthetic insulation (fleece is too bulky, down isn't good wet).

The Montbell Thermawrap and the Patagonia Micro Puff look good, anyone know which is better? Is there any other jackets I should know about?
I want something lightweight, but i'm not a gram counter.

warraghiyagey
12-02-2007, 16:55
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good thru hiking jacket. I'm planning a northbound hike that will start in mid March. I want something with synthetic insulation (fleece is too bulky, down isn't good wet).

The Montbell Thermawrap and the Patagonia Micro Puff look good, anyone know which is better? Is there any other jackets I should know about?
I want something lightweight, but i'm not a gram counter.

Maybe consider layers rather than a jacket. Fleece is bulky but it is handy so many days on the trail at some point and makes a great pillow and I don't think they take up any more space than a jacket. Then your outer shell and your shirts work great as layers and are easier to adjust as your temperature fluctuates.
Just a thought.

wrongway_08
12-02-2007, 17:02
You thinking layers right?
Heres my set up:

1)-Smart wool long johns top/bottoms - lightest weight they make
2)-Mont Bell - UL Down jacket and down pants
3)-Convertable Pants/Long sleeve top
4)-REI UL rain gear, top modified to also fit pack uner it.

Not sure what kind of jacket your looking to do but with this layering system the REI UL Works great ($155.00 not on sale or $115.00 if you catch it on sale)

austinlowes17
12-02-2007, 17:16
Yes i'll be layering. I'll have on a lightweight baselayer top, longsleeve shirt, 100 weight fleece, then the jacket i decide to get. I'll also have my rain coat (north face diad jacket) if it gets too cold.

wrongway_08
12-02-2007, 17:21
sounds like you have more then enough to keep warm, the REI UL jacket is a water proof/wind proof jacket, breathes easily and has plenty of ventilation.

You will be able to knock off a piece of clothing by using your rain jacket as your normal jacket also.

Just depends how well you torlerate the cold.

map man
12-02-2007, 17:58
A jacket's a good idea for sitting around in camp on cold evenings and mornings, which you will have since you are starting in March (I also like to have it easilly accessible in my pack so I can put it on during hiking breaks on cold days). I've had good luck with the micropuff. The pullover version of that jacket is significantly lighter than the one with the full front zip. You can sometimes find it at half-price at this time of the year as 2008 models replace the 2007s (if you don't mind discontinued colors).

take-a-knee
12-02-2007, 19:09
I have a hooded primaloft jacket I bought on sale at REI two years ago, it weighs one pound. I looked at REI's website and didn't see anything like it. It looks similar to this Montbell.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301226

I also have a light hooded fleece pullover from Patagonia that weighs about nine ounces. The two together with long johns have kept me toasty down to freezing. With my precip jacket it should be enough for most trips in the south. I've thought about making a climashield vest to layer underneath.

Lyle
12-02-2007, 19:24
I also have the REI hooded Primaloft jacket - very happy with it. Too bad it's no longer available, but something similar should be good. I also have a Primaloft sleeping bag from EMS, light, warm, compresses well. Of all the synthetic insulations I've used over the years, Primaloft seems to be closest to down. Down still wins out tho.

Froggy
12-02-2007, 19:45
I've got a Patagonia Puffball jacket, similar to the Micropuff, and it's great.

The zipper's tiny skinny, though, and I sometimes worry about it. But it hasn't had a problem in nine years.

Lil'Mak
12-02-2007, 20:04
I agree with Map Man. I am also layering, but for sitting around camp or on breaks that early in the season, you need something warmer. I have the Micro Puff Pullover (I bought the men's since they don't offer that in a women's) and it's toasty warm even in the nastiest conditions. It is too hot to hike in. It's 12 oz. and I got mine at half price last year.

saimyoji
12-02-2007, 20:04
Wow, 19 and you have the $$ to throw around on expensive gear...impressive. Check out some of the Army surplus gear, the parka liners and pants liners have worked for many and cost a fraction ($5-10) of the garments you mentioned.

Sounds like you're on the ball already though.

gravityman
12-02-2007, 20:07
We used the micropuff on our 2005 hike. Worked perfectly for a March 1 start.

Would use it again. Still wear it all the time. I agree about synthetic on the AT in that time frame. We kept in until Pearisburg and wish we had kept it a little longer...

Gravity and Danger GAME 2005

Colter
12-02-2007, 20:10
I really like mine a lot. Very warm for the weight, comfortable, great hood. One of the best items of clothing I own for backpacking.

Down is no good when it's soaked, but I've never in my life had a down jacket or coat so wet that it didn't insulate well. For dry cold it's mighty hard to beat.

I've got a gear review just below the wolf/caribou photo in the top left of the below link if you'd like to see it. The Micro Puff Jacket is included there.

Good luck!

Bearpaw
12-02-2007, 20:15
I have a hooded primaloft jacket I bought on sale at REI two years ago, it weighs one pound. I looked at REI's website and didn't see anything like it.

The older REI Primaloft hooded jacket was the REI Gossamer Jacket. It was discontinued last year.

This year REI's Primaloft option is the REI Spruce Run Jacket (http://www.rei.com/product/755084?vcat=REI_SEARCH). It has no hood, but the sleeves will zip off to form a vest, and you can partially unzip them to get a nice ventilation point. I own one and like it very much.

However, for less weight and not that much money you could look at Backpacking Light's Cocoon series (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Clothing%20Systems/High%20Loft%20Insulation/index.html? (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Clothing%20Systems/High%20Loft%20Insulation/index.html)?)

bigcranky
12-03-2007, 10:06
I have a Micropuff pullover, and it's perfect for March in the southern mountains. It appears to have more loft than the Thermawrap, though I've never tested them side-by-side. The Micropuff is a few ounces heavier.

Patagonia now makes a Micropuff Parka, with a hood and full zipper. It's again a few ounces heavier, but the extra features make it both warmer and cooler (just not at the same time). That versatility would probably lead me to buy the Parka over the Pullover if I had to choose again.

Tinker
12-03-2007, 14:56
I have a Micropuff pullover, and it's perfect for March in the southern mountains. It appears to have more loft than the Thermawrap, though I've never tested them side-by-side. The Micropuff is a few ounces heavier.

Patagonia now makes a Micropuff Parka, with a hood and full zipper. It's again a few ounces heavier, but the extra features make it both warmer and cooler (just not at the same time). That versatility would probably lead me to buy the Parka over the Pullover if I had to choose again.

I second the notion to go full-zip. Sometimes too hot's worse than too cold. I, personally, run hot, so that's where my priorities lie.
Fleece is heavy, but you can wear it alone, with a wind shell, or wear the wind shell alone - very versatile.
I have a Golite jacket (forgot the model) with a very light shell and Polarguard (of one kind or another) insulation. Not warm enough for sitting around camp in winter, and too hot for even a cool night in summer. Spring and fall, it's just about perfect.

Also, I would have gotten it with a hood if it were available. Same goes for my Golite windshirt. Sometimes a hood keeps stuff (especially snow dripping from trees) off of your back.

I would recommend that you experiment with fleece and a windproof outer layer first. Even soaked, fleece retains 100% of its loft (and is easy to wring out, too).

Also, get your inner layers sized to fit snugly (for weight) and your outer layers larger (for venting purposes).

Have a great hike.

gravityman
12-03-2007, 16:04
Oh, just in case it was misunderstood, there is no way I could hike in my micropuff! I get way too warm at almost any temperature. We used it purely as a warm jacket during breaks/ in camp.

Gravity

Mocs123
12-03-2007, 18:08
I have a 2005 UL Thermawrap Jacket and a 2006 Micro Puff Pullover. The Micro Puff is warmer, probably good to freezing with a baselayer. The Thermawrap is lighter by more than 30% and is good to about 40 with a baselayer. I tend to be a cold natured person so the tempretures they are good for may vary.

humunuku
12-03-2007, 18:20
I have the micro puff pull over - it toasty and pretty light, the only think i don't like about it is it doesn't have pockets, Did I mention it light and warm?

Chaco Taco
12-03-2007, 18:40
I have a Golite Enigma halfzip and use it with my Patagonia Capilene and an old wool sweater I always wear. Great for the cold am. Layers great. Just bought some of the Golite Reed Pants.

earthbound
12-03-2007, 22:55
Any thoughts on the Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL jacket?

astrogirl
12-04-2007, 00:22
I'm with Tinker. It's all about layers, baby. :D

I hike super hot, so I wear my windproof jacket on breaks, but in camp, I take off the damp/wet shirt, put on the fleece and then put the windproof over that. No reason not use everything you're carrying if it hits the low temps.

I don't hike in the wind/rain proof unless it's below about 40 and precipitating. When I stop though, I *really* need it. I try to keep the warm stuff dry because I very much need it when I stop for the night, but not while I'm moving, so why sweat in it?

I was hiking once on Easter (coming into the Bland/Bastian crossing where my car was). I was wearing my favorite L/S shirt, a GoLite C-Thru, running tights and tennies. It was misting and chilly, but I was OK while moving. I got to my car and found out it was 37'!! Then I got cold.

Funny how the information changed it. :D

austinlowes17
12-05-2007, 19:35
I CAN'T decide between the micro puff and the thermawrap. I'm pretty suspicous about the thermawrap. How warm could an 8-9 ounce jacket keep a person. Would it be warm enough if I had a light fleece under it and a good baselayer?

bigcranky
12-05-2007, 20:53
I CAN'T decide between the micro puff and the thermawrap. I'm pretty suspicous about the thermawrap. How warm could an 8-9 ounce jacket keep a person. Would it be warm enough if I had a light fleece under it and a good baselayer?

Your post says you are from the Upper Peninsula. Get the jacket and go stand outside for a while -- you get way worse weather there than you'll see on the AT in March. If it's not enough, return the jacket for the Micropuff.

austinlowes17
12-05-2007, 21:29
Yea, it does get nasty up here!!! Will Montbell give me my money back if I don't like it? What's the weather like on the A.T. in March?

slowandlow
12-05-2007, 22:11
My suggestion for layers:short sleeve T,long sleeve capilene or polypro, Marmot Driclime windshirt, rain jacket. This combination has kept me warm to the low twenties. If it gets colder get in your sleeping bag. It has been my experience that a heavy insulated jacket is not needed during thruhike season. My .02 worth.

LIhikers
12-06-2007, 08:32
Yea, it does get nasty up here!!! Will Montbell give me my money back if I don't like it? What's the weather like on the A.T. in March?

There are other vendors that sell some Montbell stuff. Find one with a return policy that suites your needs.

earthbound
12-06-2007, 09:48
The weather can be extremely variable in march on the at. I've encountered everything from 75 and sunny to 15 and freezing rain, snow, hail, basically everything. After hiking for a week in sub freezing temps, snow, and freezing rain I can tell you that I was EXTREMELY glad a friend convinced me to bring my winter (minnesota winter) jacket. Had I brought was a normally do- tanktop, long sleeve baselayer, fleece, rainjacket- I would've been miserable and unprepared for the weather. On my thru I am bringing a lightweight synthetic or down jacket like the ones you've described. It might replace my fleece though as a warmer layer- at least at first.

FishBone
12-06-2007, 10:00
Just my $0.02: I had the MontBell and sold it in favor of the MicroPuff. the MB was light, yes, but not warm enough during the spring, 2006 when I used it on my AT section hike for around-camp use. the MicroPuff is warmer and very comfy, even without pockets. however, I'm thinking of getting the MicroPuff with a hood as a safety measure for unexpectedly cold sleeping conditions or to use with a lighter sleeping bag as part of an ultralight sleep system in moderately cold weather. have a great hike!!;)

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 14:32
Just my $0.02: I had the MontBell and sold it in favor of the MicroPuff. the MB was light, yes, but not warm enough during the spring, 2006 when I used it on my AT section hike for around-camp use. the MicroPuff is warmer and very comfy, even without pockets. however, I'm thinking of getting the MicroPuff with a hood as a safety measure for unexpectedly cold sleeping conditions or to use with a lighter sleeping bag as part of an ultralight sleep system in moderately cold weather. have a great hike!!;)

I wouldn't buy a jacket for wilderness use that didn't have a hood. If it isn't cold enough to need a hood, you probably only need a vest.

highway
12-06-2007, 14:53
My suggestion for layers:short sleeve T,long sleeve capilene or polypro, Marmot Driclime windshirt, rain jacket. This combination has kept me warm to the low twenties. If it gets colder get in your sleeping bag. It has been my experience that a heavy insulated jacket is not needed during thruhike season. My .02 worth.
I use almost exactly the above but never the longsleeve Capilene as it is seldom needed, even below freezing. I take the bottoms, though, just for an emergency but never used them as yet either.
First I l,ayer a Capilene tank, then a tee, then a railrider eco-mesh nylon shirt, then the Marmot Driclime winshirt and this combo is good even in a light almost freezing drizzle and keeps me warm even while quite damp. If the windshirt begins to get so wet that my forwarfd speed cannot dry it, I then add either poncho or, in colder weather, a thin Marmot Precip rain parka with the long pit zips open for my wet clothes to vent from my drying body heat.

So, my answer would be not to go with any heavy jacket but a layering combination that one could begin to remove, in the reverse order, were the weather to begin to clear or warm.

gravityman
12-06-2007, 16:15
I wouldn't buy a jacket for wilderness use that didn't have a hood. If it isn't cold enough to need a hood, you probably only need a vest.

My preference is to have a good warm hat and the micropuff. I don't like hoods, as they don't usually fit tight enough, and you're still going to need a hat.

Gravity

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 16:42
My preference is to have a good warm hat and the micropuff. I don't like hoods, as they don't usually fit tight enough, and you're still going to need a hat.

Gravity

Of course you'll need a warm hat also, far be it from me to suggest otherwise. What I'm saying is you need a hat AND an hood, and a little thin 2 ounce balaclava is a wise investment. Having this stuff is how you turn a 20 degree bag into a zero bag, or how you survive a night WITHOUT A BAG. Remember, you can't lose, or forget the hood. Stuff happens.

Critterman
12-07-2007, 10:23
How small a package is the micro puff when it is in its stuff sack ?

DawnTreader
12-07-2007, 10:43
layers....layers .... layers..
silk base layer
montbell ul down jacket = very nice :)
convertible pants
diy windshirt (its my pride and joy)
JRB quilt perfect for serapification= toasty warm

karo
12-07-2007, 21:50
How small a package is the micro puff when it is in its stuff sack ?
I have the x-large micropuff and it is about the size of a nalgene bottle. A little shorter and a little bigger around. About the size of a 32 oz gatorade bottle but without the neck portion. If is was going in March I would bring it. I do also agree with the layering system that has been stated here. But the Mircopuff is great around camp, or when you stop hiking to take a break, or to wear while hiking if it got real bad.

karo
12-07-2007, 21:51
sorry about the misprint, If I was going....