PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike: Where to hike on AT during last week of December.

urbanhiker
12-02-2007, 19:32
Greetings Everyone,

I am still building the cahooonas (sp?) to leave my corporate job and do a thru hike on the AT. Thus, it is section hikes for now. I do have the last week of December off. I would like to take a 2 to 3 days shake out hike on the AT. Any ideas on which section would be best to start on?

I am flexible and I can go anywhere at this time.

Cheers,

urban hiker (tentative nick name till I get one from the trail)

bigcranky
12-03-2007, 10:11
Cojones.

You don't say how much serious winter experience you have, so I'm going to recommend something in the southern A.T.

With three days you could hike the Nantahala/Standing Indian loop, or you could hike a section from Fontana Dam to Wesser, using a shuttle service (The Hike Inn is good). You could hike a section in Georgia (The Hiker Hostel can shuttle you).

Just realize that December on the A.T., even in the South, is cold, dark, and lonely. Be prepared.

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 10:14
I second the Standing Indian area. Good loop.

Almost There
12-03-2007, 12:08
Did Standing Indian to Franklin the day after Xmas last year with Orangebug, snowed all day long the first day, and we were cold and damp whenever we stopped for more than a few minutes. Although it was beautiful! 2nd day was a little better as long as we kept moving. It was a great hike, but just be prepared gearwise!

Jim Adams
12-03-2007, 12:49
Key West!!!!!
Sit at the bar on the beach, enjoy the atmosphere and type up your 2 week notice! You'll have alot of time for hiking later.

geek

Marta
12-03-2007, 14:24
Park at Amicalola, get a shuttle to however far along you think you can hike back from in the allotted time, and arrive on Springer New Year's Eve.

Chaco Taco
12-03-2007, 18:43
Oh Im diggin that hike. May be up on Springer for New years now that you mention it!

Park at Amicalola, get a shuttle to however far along you think you can hike back from in the allotted time, and arrive on Springer New Year's Eve.

sasquatch2014
12-04-2007, 23:09
for all this talk of south I would look at elevations as much as lat. A lot of the southern sections are up there in elevation and this adds to weather and temp issuse maybe look for something lower even if it is in the middle. I am heading out this week with a few others to do MD. Also keep in mind bail out options at this time of year.

doggiebag
12-04-2007, 23:25
for all this talk of south I would look at elevations as much as lat. A lot of the southern sections are up there in elevation and this adds to weather and temp issuse maybe look for something lower even if it is in the middle. I am heading out this week with a few others to do MD. Also keep in mind bail out options at this time of year.
I have a simple formula for bailing out. If I wake up 2 mornings in a row with my summer sausage frozen ... I bail out. :eek: