PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag liner

stickat04
12-09-2003, 13:32
Do you use them? Are they worth the weight? Do they help keep the bag that much cleaner?

Side note 115 days 18 hrs till I am on the trail.

poison_ivy
12-09-2003, 14:03
I have a silk liner that I find works really well. I'm an extremely cold sleeper and my 20 degree bag is only comfortable for me to around 30 degrees. With the liner, I can actually use it comfortably at its temperature rating -- so it gives me another 10 degrees or so.

I ended up buying the silk one because it was very light weight. Another advantage is that it helps to keep the inside of your bag a little cleaner. The disadvantage is that the silk ones, at least, are pretty expensive.

- Ivy

A-Train
12-09-2003, 14:08
check out jagbags.com out of new zealand. Very resaonably priced. Well worth the price and couple ounces I thought

Kerosene
12-09-2003, 15:01
I find that a silk liner (6 oz) works best when you're at the high and low extremes of a bag. At the low end, it adds about 10* of warmth plus it effectively reduces those little drafts of cold air that you can't eliminate unless you're fully mummified. When it's warmer, the silk liner can be used with more of the bag unzipped, presenting a nice compromise. Plus, it does keep your bag from getting too dirty and smelly on month+ hikes.

Moon Monster
12-09-2003, 17:13
I have a Design Salt with about 160 nights in it. I agree with Kerosene about its temp. effectiveness at both ends of the thermometer. I like how it cuts drafts and it traps body heat enough to be all I need around my face and neck in all but below freezing temps.

I have not found, however, that it does anything for keeping funk out of my bag. I've only spent three or four nights in my current bag when it was new without a liner. Every night with the liner I always had it pulled up even if the bag wasn't. I washed the liner twice during my thru-hike. My bag is still quite funky despite the liner.

COWBOY
12-09-2003, 17:42
I find that a silk liner (6 oz) works best when you're at the high and low extremes of a bag. At the low end, it adds about 10* of warmth plus it effectively reduces those little drafts of cold air that you can't eliminate unless you're fully mummified. When it's warmer, the silk liner can be used with more of the bag unzipped, presenting a nice compromise. Plus, it does keep your bag from getting too dirty and smelly on month+ hikes.
[CENTER] I bought silk and made my liner cost $8.00 . I agree it keeps my bag cleaner and in summer is all I use ontop of a down bag.

Hammock Hanger
12-10-2003, 11:21
The liner can really keep your bag from getting grungy and smelly, as you can throw it in the wash everytime you get to a machine.

It does not need to be expensive. You can fine lightwt silk like materials on sale at most fabric stores. Sometimes Walmart has them in the $1.00 bin.

Depending on the material you do get a little added warm. The are great when it is too hot for the sleeping bag early in the night. Then when the temos drop in the wee hours you can throw your full sleeping bag over you.

IMHO --- HH

DebW
12-10-2003, 13:58
I bought a Jagbag silk liner about a year ago and have carried it on a couple of long hikers, but have never managed to stay in it all night. I've either been too hot with it right away, or sometime in the night I get too hot. My body temperature must fluctuate during the night, and I don't sweat much, so when I get hot, I'm really uncomfortable. It won't keep my bag clean if every time I get hot and am in danger if sweating, I have to kick it off. Might be worth it for the extra warmth on cool nights, or the nights too warm for a bag, but I haven't decided yet.