PDA

View Full Version : Chat?

Yukon
12-03-2007, 12:44
This is for the admin's I guess, ever think of adding a chat to this forum?

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 12:49
We did, and have regularly since 2003. We always decide no. The problem with a chat as opposed to forum posting is the fact that you cannot participate in discussion unless you happen to be on during the discussion. You also don't get the benifit of seeing what others have said in the past. The chat would be a way for a few regulars to get on and converse, but it would not have the same effect as a thread where one can pop in at 0200 and see what sort of zany things have been said or, better yet, what good things have been said while they were slaving away at work.

Yukon
12-03-2007, 12:52
Just wondering, we added a chat to our forums and it was a huge hit. I understand what your saying about not being able to be involved during the work day and seeing what was said.

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 12:55
I imagine that some of the more rowdy posters would probably migrate to the Chat so they can argue in real time.

Yukon
12-03-2007, 12:58
I imagine that some of the more rowdy posters would probably migrate to the Chat so they can argue in real time.

Indeed, that does happen alot :datz

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2007, 12:59
::: Dino runs screaming from though of having to moderate chat :::

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 13:00
Yea, that is the other end - all you can do with that is kick the buggers off I imagine.

dixicritter
12-03-2007, 13:01
~and dixi would quit~ ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2007, 13:03
~and dixi would quit~ ;)That's even scarier than having chat :eek:

Sly
12-03-2007, 13:11

Yeah! :D

When I 1st got online back in '96 expressly to find out about hiking the AT, AOL used to have Backpacker chat. At the time it had something to do with the Mag with regular moderators at night during the week. I think they got free AOL!

Each night had a different theme, lightweight, gear industry etc. Monday nights was long distance hiking and the most popurlar, hosted by Frank Logue of guide book writing fame, 2000-miler and an early leader in ALDHA.

It was pretty cool...

WF tried it on Trailplace a few years later but, as you can imagine that went quickly south..

At one time after I moved and started hiking everyone I knew and became friends with was from the internet or trail. Ooops, it's still like that. ;)

Yukon
12-03-2007, 13:40
Well if you put the chat in a section where it was known that anything goes then it doesn't need much moderation, I very rarely have a problem with people in our chat. But you do run into the occasional spammer and what not...

Gray Blazer
12-03-2007, 13:41
~and dixi would quit~ ;)
Is that what it'd take? :D

pitdog
12-03-2007, 13:46
Does anyone know the times ,the train hits the station, on the AT in NY.

Bare Bear
12-03-2007, 14:14
Yeah...when the lights blink and that gate thingy goes down then the train is going to be there soon, hope that helps. )

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-03-2007, 14:30
Is that what it'd take? :DDino has been elected to deliver a message to Gray Blazer from the moderation team:

CHOMP

rhjanes
12-03-2007, 16:03
I've seen chat and used it in a few forums. I doubt it would work very well here, for several reasons. First, more than about 5 people chatting and you can forget it. It rolls around too fast, like having that first few minutes in a group meeting, where everyone is trying to talk at once.
Second, forget moderating it.
Saying all that, what might work, is setting up about 5 sub-chat rooms. For two or three people to gather and discuss or make trade deals on gear. I've seen that used. However, you can also "private" to the person and make your deal in regular chat.
Another idea. Not sure if you can do this. Set up a Chat-TV deal. Have the admins set up a set time to interview a person, live. Get some questions ahead of time so people will know what is to be discussed and then go for it. You'd have to only allow the interviewer and interviewee to update! Just a few thoughts.