PDA

View Full Version : Instant ice pack as part of first aid kit

gearfreak
12-03-2007, 14:23
After a late September section hike in GA. where my buddy had some difficulty with the unseasonably warm temperatures, my wife asked me if I carry an instant ice pack as part of my first aid kit. My search turned up these small Icy Hot Instant Cold Packs (http://www.icyhotpro-therapy.com/Products.asp#instantColdPacks) which are meant to be inserted in knee braces. They weigh just 3.2 oz and could come in handy in the absence of a cold stream. However, searching the First Aid Kit (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=96993#post96993) thread for "ice packs" turned up nothing. I added one to my kit anyway. Granted it's all personal preference, but does anyone carry anything similiar or do most consider it unnecessary? :-?

jesse
12-03-2007, 14:30
Those things are meant to reduce swelling of joints. Was your friends difficulty with warm temps, causing inflamation, or overheating. If overheating, I would think ice packs would be not necessary.
I would not add them to my pack.

Jim Adams
12-03-2007, 14:35
only when I also carry beer

geek

Wonder
12-03-2007, 14:53
As I have very bad ankles....I carried one for awile during my first trip, but quickly learned that skicking my foot in a cold stream was just, if not more effective

Alligator
12-03-2007, 15:13
I bought some a long time ago and realized that the extra weight was more than I needed.

Tinker
12-03-2007, 15:15
As I have very bad ankles....I carried one for awile during my first trip, but quickly learned that skicking my foot in a cold stream was just, if not more effective

Ditto the stream thing. Back at camp, put some cold water in a zip lock bag or use your water bladder.

Footslogger
12-03-2007, 15:19
Biggest problem is that they don't stay cold very long ...at least not cold enough to have any major impact on swelling. They do provide some short term pain relief but that's about it.

I used to carry one years ago. It accidentally "activated" without me knowing about it and when I needed it well ...you know - no cold to be had.

'Slogger

Blissful
12-03-2007, 16:01

Yep.

That and you may be fortunate to come across an ice chest on the trail packed with ice and sodas. I used some of the ice from that when I hurt my hand in VT. And take your Vit I.

JAK
12-03-2007, 16:02
Why not just carry ice?

gearfreak
12-04-2007, 08:49
Those things are meant to reduce swelling of joints. Was your friends difficulty with warm temps, causing inflamation, or overheating. If overheating, I would think ice packs would be not necessary.
I would not add them to my pack.

My buddy's issue was simply the heat and hydration. Water's been in short supplly throughout GA. The ice pack came up in general conversation and a "what if you were to twist an ankle?" question. Always the ounce counter, this may find its way into the first aid kit in my truck. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks! :cool:

Uncle Silly
12-04-2007, 09:59
Sounds like something potentially useful if you know you're likely to need it. If you know you have joint issues, and you're planning to be active in an area that might be lacking good flowing streams, it might be worthwhile to bring some.

I probably wouldn't carry just one unless I knew I'd need them ahead of time AND I was going out for a short while. I expect if I found them useful to carry at all, I'd be carrying one per day or so. I don't think I'd carry one as part of a general first aid kit "just in case".

Lyle
12-04-2007, 10:03
My opinion, the small size mentioned is actually useless for most any application. They do not stay cold long enough to be any benefit. Maybe for an insect bite, to relieve some initial pain, but for possible joint injuries - save the weight, find a stream.

WalkinHome
12-04-2007, 10:19
If you twist your ankle ace wrap the sucker tight, take a pain pill, vitamin I and hobble out asap to the nearest civilization or stream. If you have companions lighten your load with them.