PDA

View Full Version : a question for past thru-hikers...

johnny quest
12-03-2007, 15:00
especially in the last 6 years or so.

has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.

superman
12-03-2007, 15:31

has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.

--------No---------

Lone Wolf
12-03-2007, 15:33

no plan needed. just get off and get home

Pootz
12-03-2007, 15:54
I agree with the idea that there is no need to plan for this type of problem. If you had a plan in place it would make it to easy to just quit for other reasons. For all the normal problems you will encounter on the trail proper planning and the kindness of others will take care of everything.

Blissful
12-03-2007, 15:55
Never even considered it, actually. And it was nice as well to have a break from the news. Though we did hear about the Va Tech tragedy on the trail. Our hearts went out to the people in our state.

Jim Adams
12-03-2007, 16:01
no plan but alot of times while up north in wilderness, I / we have sat around the campfire and discussed the idea that what if a major war / nuclear disaster or biological disaster happened while out there....makes you wonder what you are returning to!

geek
ps. usually it stays in the back of your mind until you come out and see others driving normal or the arrival of the float plane.

A-Train
12-03-2007, 16:28
If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

Unless that's what you're looking for.

johnny quest
12-03-2007, 16:53
uhhh....i was talking about some sort of societal disaster... not whether the train or the bus was best for getting me home in time for gramma's funeral.

on the other hand, if denver and houston went up in mushroom clouds maybe the best thing would be to just put your head down and keep walking. just thinking out loud.
If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

Unless that's what you're looking for.

MOWGLI
12-03-2007, 20:57
Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. You'll like it. Post apocalyptic hike - sorta. Won the Pulitzer recently.

sloopjonboswell
12-03-2007, 22:08
hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.

SGT Rock
12-03-2007, 22:10
Report to the nearest Armory.

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 22:11
hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.

:) :) :) Cleaning off my keyboard. . . again.

WalkinHome
12-04-2007, 10:39
"No plan ever survived contact with the enemy"

johnny quest
12-04-2007, 14:30
thanks for the input. i think i could have phrased my question better. but i think i have my decision. i will bury plastic gallon paint can near springer with the maps to follow the pinhoti and florida trail back home. that way, if civilization falls i can prey on other hikers all the way back south to home.