PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Press

COWBOY
12-09-2003, 17:53
Has anyone used a coffee press? and if so were you happy with it?

Tabasco
12-09-2003, 18:21
I have a small (16 oz) TAZO tea press bought at Starbucks exact same as a french press coffee maker. I use it for coffee / hot choc / tea / cuppa / drinkable soup type stuff. The lid screws on for anti spill, the drinking spout flips closed and seals, for anything besides coffee, you can easily remove the "press" portion. The sides are double walled for insulation too. Been very happy with this little gizmo. Have to be careful though, it makes a STRONG coffee.

Lightpacker
02-04-2004, 18:12
I have a coffee press i use at home sometimes which is glass and it makes good coffee. Im going to buy a lexan coffee press REI sells made of Lexan Its less than 10 bucks. A titanium one is out now but costs 50 bucks(not cheap)

Moon Monster
02-05-2004, 02:42
I'm a coffee geek. I use a press at home: 4 Tbl whole bean medium groun just before using, water just before boiling (200-210 deg.), steep for 4 minutes (not 5 or 3). This is the best way to make coffe (American style) for both body and flavor. When I was in Iceland, even the gas stations and pastry shops served coffee in presses! It's a taste sensation.

However, I think they would be a hassle and heavy on the trail unless you are a freak about coffee out there.

mindlessmariachi
02-05-2004, 22:02
dont want to be shouted down by coffee snobs, but the coffee that comes in tea bags (forget which company makes it) was essential to my thru hike - if a bit pricy.

it was easier to deal with than instant coffee which has a tendency to get wet and sticky, and tastest like, well, instant coffee.

SassyWindsor
01-25-2012, 21:00
I use a plastic( bpa-free ) type press. The carafe also serves as a drinking cup or eating bowl for. To drink hot tea/coffee i unscrew the plunger handle and drink with the strainer in the bottom. Even though it's the smallest coffee press I have found the entire thing is almost too heavy/bulky unless you do have multiple uses for it.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 21:16
I own every conceivable coffee making device - including the french press - you can't nest anything inside the thing (much) and it takes up a lot of room. Unlike home-style french presses mine which is a GSI brand tends to let a lot of grounds get in the coffee and is a real mess to clean up. I have also carried percolators, and all sorts of drip coffee contraptions. I pretty much use Starbucks VIA or medaglia d'oro instant espresso on long distance hikes. If you are a gourmet though, GSI makes a tiny espresso pot too. I also have a tiny italian made espresso pot which is heavy but a real luxury; it looks like this:

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2012, 21:21
I have a Jetboil press and another one (home type). The bottom line: Makes good coffee. Makes a good mess too. I now use the Tassimo (http://www.tassimo.ca/tassimo/page?siteid=tassimo-prd&locale=caen1&PagecRef=1)bags like a tea bag - just put them in the boiling water, let them soak, and then squeeze them out. Makes a good cup with a lot less mess.

Rasty
01-25-2012, 21:24
I like cowboy coffee. The half real / half instant folgers coffee bags are ok, but the flavor is just not good enough. Cleaning a French press requires too much water to be practical for me.

Toolshed
01-25-2012, 21:27
dont want to be shouted down by coffee snobs, but the coffee that comes in tea bags (forget which company makes it) was essential to my thru hike - if a bit pricy.

it was easier to deal with than instant coffee which has a tendency to get wet and sticky, and tastest like, well, instant coffee.

Those Coffee bags (Folgers, Wegmans, Maxwell House) all have instant coffee in them to varying proportions.

Toolshed
01-25-2012, 21:28
I have a Boden Lexan press which I use for weekends and such, but for longer trips, I prefer either the MSR Mugmate or just simple Coughlin 1-cup filters that use a twig or plastic sprig to hold over your cup.

Spokes
01-25-2012, 21:32
Coffee Press? You thru hiking or car camping?

SassyWindsor
01-25-2012, 21:32
I've tried the Columbian Via and have to say it's the best instant Coffee I've ever had. Rivals many brewed coffee's. My press, so far with many uses, have not started to allow (many) grinds to seep past the rubber seal. I'd consider full use of the VIA if it was readily available when traveling. On shorter trips I have carried instant and or the VIA types. The VIA is also quite expensive, especially for an instant.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 21:33
Coffee Press? Really? Maybe for car camping yes.......

I assumed that the OP wasn't considering a thru hike with one - I carry some coffee supplies on trips under 30 miles though - no biggie Spokes - its fun.

Spokes
01-25-2012, 21:34
What's a person from Knightsbridge London UK doing drinking coffee in the first place?

Spokes
01-25-2012, 21:35
I assumed that the OP wasn't considering a thru hike with one - I carry some coffee supplies on trips under 30 miles though - no biggie Spokes - its fun.

I know PapaD....... gotta break out of my old mold..... I know. ;-)

Rasty
01-25-2012, 21:38
He must be a yank or just cool!

What's a person from Knightsbridge London UK doing drinking coffee in the first place?

SassyWindsor
01-26-2012, 01:31
world ranking (per capita consumption) of tea USA: 69th UK: 6th
world ranking (per capita consumption) of coffee USA: 25th UK: 44th

I do drink much, much more tea, but when you're hiking/traveling, especially in the states, it's impossible to find any leaf teas. Notice on my post #6 I mention "tea/coffee" meaning what leaf tea I have brought doesn't last long then it's left to the more accessible coffee for my hot drink. The press works very well with teas, not just coffee. To point out the closest leaf tea to the AT would be New York city and Atlanta or possibly a few other exclusive inns along the trail. Occasionally I'll receive some via mail drop. Just remember tea to a Brit consist of tea leaves, not small bags with a string attached and a ground up substance inside said bag. :D

Hoofit
01-26-2012, 06:31
As a fellow transplanted Brit , good tea(PG TIPS,TYPHOO E.T.C.), needs real milk for a really fine cuppa, just the way most of us were raised to drink it since we were nippers, whereas coffee tastes just fine with powdered milk which is easier to carry on the trail ..
So now you know...

hikerboy57
01-26-2012, 08:19
I own every conceivable coffee making device - including the french press - you can't nest anything inside the thing (much) and it takes up a lot of room. Unlike home-style french presses mine which is a GSI brand tends to let a lot of grounds get in the coffee and is a real mess to clean up. I have also carried percolators, and all sorts of drip coffee contraptions. I pretty much use Starbucks VIA or medaglia d'oro instant espresso on long distance hikes. If you are a gourmet though, GSI makes a tiny espresso pot too. I also have a tiny italian made espresso pot which is heavy but a real luxury; it looks like this:
15002 ivegot the gsi press, i just found it too difficult to keep clean on the trail, switched to via.

JAK
01-26-2012, 10:16
I love coffee threads in the morning.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2012, 11:12
world ranking (per capita consumption) of tea USA: 69th UK: 6th
world ranking (per capita consumption) of coffee USA: 25th UK: 44th

I do drink much, much more tea, but when you're hiking/traveling, especially in the states, it's impossible to find any leaf teas. Notice on my post #6 I mention "tea/coffee" meaning what leaf tea I have brought doesn't last long then it's left to the more accessible coffee for my hot drink. The press works very well with teas, not just coffee. To point out the closest leaf tea to the AT would be New York city and Atlanta or possibly a few other exclusive inns along the trail. Occasionally I'll receive some via mail drop. Just remember tea to a Brit consist of tea leaves, not small bags with a string attached and a ground up substance inside said bag. :DQuite. ;)

As a fellow transplanted Brit , good tea(PG TIPS,TYPHOO E.T.C.), needs real milk for a really fine cuppa, just the way most of us were raised to drink it since we were nippers, whereas coffee tastes just fine with powdered milk which is easier to carry on the trail ..
So now you know...Powdered milk? :eek: No, we aren't that barabaric. For those that don't drink it black, cream, or at minimum half and half, is required for a proper cup of coffee.

coach lou
01-26-2012, 11:29
Powdered milk? :eek: No, we aren't that barabaric. For those that don't drink it black, cream, or at minimum half and half, is required for a proper cup of coffee.[/QUOTE] You must walk with Tipi Walter, so you can store that Half & Half in that refrigerator he carries on his back!

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2012, 11:34
One thing that always got me about these coffee threads is that some people seem to think they type of press used has an effect on coffee taste. Coffee presses is no different than cowboy coffee, the only difference being that the press separates the grounds from the water, some do better than others, but has no effect on taste. That's why I just drink cowboy coffee, I don't mind a little grounds in my coffee, but understand some don't want that, so they go with a press, which keeps out the grounds, but has no effect on taste.

Sorry, had to say it:D

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2012, 11:37
Powdered milk? :eek: No, we aren't that barabaric. For those that don't drink it black, cream, or at minimum half and half, is required for a proper cup of coffee. You must walk with Tipi Walter, so you can store that Half & Half in that refrigerator he carries on his back![/QUOTE]Mini-moos (no refrigeration required) at Staples for about $6-7 for 2 dozen. No, definitely not for thru-hiking, but few of them aren't hard to carry on a section hike.

Abner
01-26-2012, 13:15
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,8627.html amazing gadget. Go to youtube and check it out. This link takes you to a supplier with a description and photo. I use it, makes the best coffee in the world. The reason I think, is that you can control water temp, the ammount of time the grounds soak in hot water, and of course the ammount, grade, brand, grind, of coffee one uses. Really an excellent product with little fuss or mess. Only drawback...if lightweight hiking, you will feel a weight penalty. ---abner

Tinker
01-26-2012, 13:25
Coffee presses are extra weight. I just boil some water in my pot, throw some grounds in my reusable coffee basket (same as you might use at home), place the basket and grounds in the pot, lift it to allow the water to circulate a few times, pour the coffee into my cup, and drink. I knock the grounds out against a nearby tree (off the trail - I reserve that for my pistacchio nut shells ;)), and put it back into my cookset once the pot is empty.

The basket weighs 14 grams.

EDIT: This setup can make coffee for 4 or more hikers (see following post for heavier option) ;)

Grampie
01-26-2012, 18:19
I hiked with a guy in 2001 by the name of "B" man. He had a coffee press and soon became a big hit. If you supplied the water, he would make you coffee. Let me tell you, it tasted great.

dave_phillips
01-26-2012, 21:58
It's not really made for thru-hiking, but any stovetop espresso maker is better than a French press coffee maker IMO. There are a few insanely small, aluminum construction espresso makers though. Again, probably very good for hiking, but it will do great on a camp stove with purified water (http://www.watermicrofilters.com).

JAK
01-26-2012, 22:24
Coffee presses are extra weight. I just boil some water in my pot, throw some grounds in my reusable coffee basket (same as you might use at home), place the basket and grounds in the pot, lift it to allow the water to circulate a few times, pour the coffee into my cup, and drink. I knock the grounds out against a nearby tree (off the trail - I reserve that for my pistacchio nut shells ;)), and put it back into my cookset once the pot is empty.

The basket weighs 14 grams.

EDIT: This setup can make coffee for 4 or more hikers (see following post for heavier option) ;)I use a french press at home, but I use your method on the trail, for tea also.

bgood360
01-26-2012, 23:12
I'm a coffee drinker, too, and the coffee issue vexes me. A coffee press, from most comments, seems to be iffy at best (bulky, the travel type seem to leave grounds in your drink, etc.), the pre-bagged "tea bag" coffees are either expensive (Starbucks Via) or bland (Folgers Coffee Singles), and instant coffee tastes -- as several have put it -- like instant coffee.

However, I do recall when I lived in Dallas a little German grocery store attached to a restaurant (Kuby's Sausage House (http://www.kubys.com/)) which offered several different European instant coffees. Not only were they [mostly] not bland, but there were several different flavors. I also know that several of the Asian grocery stores here as in elsewhere carry instant coffees you won't find on the shelves of Krogers, Tom Thumb, Walmart, or whatever your closest grocery chain carries.

So, perhaps a stroll through one or more smaller specialty or ethnic stores might yield a surprising yet suitable instant coffee find if a coffee press doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Summit
01-26-2012, 23:31
Jetboil coffee press - weighs 1 oz! Less than Tinker's basket I'll bet. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/760629/jetboil-coffee-press

No mess at all. Remove the plunger/screen, twirl under running water a couple seconds - clean. Add a cup of water to the grounds in bottom of cozy, swirl and toss. Repeat. Clean as a whisle.
I agree with John Gault, nothing magic about a press, it just separates the grounds. I prefer my coffee without the grounds so this is the way I go.

dale1627
01-26-2012, 23:39
First time post here so please bear with me because I could not resist replying. I absolutely love my fresh ground coffee brewed in my French press, but not enough to lug one more item along with me. Here is what I do. Grind coffee at home before my several day hike. Put the grinds into a small paper coffee filter and make my own coffee bag by folding the filter and stapling it shut. Then just put 2 cups of water and the bag into my pot. Let it brew until just before boil and remove from the stove. I then let it sit for 3 minutes, like it strong.... Only issue is that the filter bag gets weak and may tear if left in for too long. I then remove the bag and tear it open to dump the grinds. Let the paper filter sit to dry while I enjoy. Put the filter scrap into my "trash bag" and haul out.
My hiking friend laughed at me one morning while sitting at Sandy Flats shelter (I think correct name) on the old AT near Damascus. He quit laughing when he tasted it. BTW, I use 8 o'clock whole bean.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Summit
01-26-2012, 23:58
Sounds like a lot more trouble and with residual trash/mess/weight to haul than my 1 oz. solution. But then if you aren't using a Jetboil stove I guess it works well enough!

Tinker
01-27-2012, 00:22
Jetboil coffee press - weighs 1 oz! Less than Tinker's basket I'll bet. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/760629/jetboil-coffee-press

No mess at all. Remove the plunger/screen, twirl under running water a couple seconds - clean. Add a cup of water to the grounds in bottom of cozy, swirl and toss. Repeat. Clean as a whisle.
I agree with John Gault, nothing magic about a press, it just separates the grounds. I prefer my coffee without the grounds so this is the way I go.

14 g. is about 1/2 oz. ;)

Plus you need to lug around a Jetboil :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2012, 01:17
First time post here so please bear with me because I could not resist replying. I absolutely love my fresh ground coffee brewed in my French press, but not enough to lug one more item along with me. Here is what I do. Grind coffee at home before my several day hike. Put the grinds into a small paper coffee filter and make my own coffee bag by folding the filter and stapling it shut. Then just put 2 cups of water and the bag into my pot. Let it brew until just before boil and remove from the stove. I then let it sit for 3 minutes, like it strong.... Only issue is that the filter bag gets weak and may tear if left in for too long. I then remove the bag and tear it open to dump the grinds. Let the paper filter sit to dry while I enjoy. Put the filter scrap into my "trash bag" and haul out.
My hiking friend laughed at me one morning while sitting at Sandy Flats shelter (I think correct name) on the old AT near Damascus. He quit laughing when he tasted it. BTW, I use 8 o'clock whole bean.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Similar to what I do, using the 15014Senseo (I mistakenly said Tassimo before) or other brand single brew packets that are for one of those single cup brewing machines. I just dunk it in the hot water , wait a few minutes, press it out, and good coffee. I think the filter paper they use for the packets is a little tougher than the pleated stuff.

Pony
01-27-2012, 01:23
I carried one of the large gsi presses (32 oz, I think) from Damascus to Waynesboro. I didn't mind the weight or bulkiness so much, but I had a tendancy to lounge til 10 or 11 drinking coffee. I decided that if I were going to finish the trail, I better send it home.

Tinker
01-27-2012, 01:26
Filter overload: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=fp-yma2&va=hiking+coffee+filter

flemdawg1
01-27-2012, 16:11
For coffee I've done it all. Cowboy, press, filter bags (Senseo and small drip bags from hotel rooms), filter cones and instant. My current fave is Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso. Very good flavor, cheaper that Via. No clean up or gritty grounds.

chelko
01-27-2012, 16:41
My wife bought me a snow peak titanium press. It is the first thing in my pack on every trip. Wouldn't hit the trail without it.

BradMT
01-29-2012, 11:33
14 g. is about 1/2 oz. ;)

Plus you need to lug around a Jetboil :D

I love "lugging around" my Ti Jetboil and French Press... I've done all the instant Coffee's including SB's Via... I don't like any of them. I'd sooner drink Black Tea.

I'd also gladly bring a Jetboil w/ French Press on a thru-hike...

RetroGear
01-29-2012, 12:23
My wife bought me a snow peak titanium press. It is the first thing in my pack on every trip. Wouldn't hit the trail without it.

I picked one up at an REI Scratch 'n Dent for $16 and love it. It's great for at-home, car camping, and leisurely backpacking trips ... but if I know I'm going to want to get packed and get on the trial right away, I use instant coffee because of the lower fiddle factor.

RockDoc
01-29-2012, 19:59
I carried the REI collapsible coffee press to use in a 1 liter Lexan canister for three weeks doing Maine in 2007. It made excellent coffee, if you start with good quality fresh coffee and a coarse grind.
Earned me the trail name "Seattle Coffee Break"
I haven't used it since; these days I compromise and carry Via.

Papa D
01-29-2012, 20:06
ivegot the gsi press, i just found it too difficult to keep clean on the trail, switched to via.

yep - me too - coffee isn't really even that great - VIA or Instant Espresso for anything more than a weekend is the way to go