PDA

View Full Version : Ospres Packs

bredler
12-03-2007, 20:55
I've heard a lot of people say that if you use an osprey pack with a top pocket, to just ditch it...
...why?

bredler
12-03-2007, 20:55
P.S.
could an admin fix the spelling error in the title please?

dloome
12-03-2007, 21:06
I would ditch the top pocket off any pack- The weight/benefit ratio seems pretty marginal. You get one small pocket which requires fabric, a lot of seams, two buckles, a zipper, and a bunch of webbing.

Meh.

Dirty Harry
12-04-2007, 01:27
Mabe that was I. I just posted telling some one on the forums to"ditch the top pocket on there atmos 50". I agree with bleach, but usually larger packs have top pockets, and in this case the atmos 50, I think, is to much to big for thru-hiking. That is why in that perticular senario I though he should at least ditch the top pocket. To much compartments, keep it simple and light.

Dirty Harry
12-04-2007, 01:30
p.s. if your looking at osprey go with the atmos 35, top pocket free, and perfect size for 25-30lbs. Im not so shure about the airspeed set up though-not to comfortable.

Cuffs
12-04-2007, 11:23
I have the 50 and I use the top pocket. I find it useful for the things you may need to get too without pouring out your whole pack (snacks, rain cover, first aid kit).

jhick
12-04-2007, 11:42
I have an Osprey 65 and find the top pocket very useful and worth the little bit of weight it adds. I like throwing a jacket under the lid and strapping it down for quick access without having to dig in the pack. Plus, I'd imagine without the top, the contents would get much wetter in some rain.

Blissful
12-04-2007, 12:03
I didn't use an Osprey but I am an organization buff, so I like to keep my things organized. And it's great to take off your pack on a break, unzip the top pouch and pull out a t-shirt if you're getting hot or a headlamp if it's getting dark.

Just a Hiker
12-04-2007, 12:18
I have the Aether-60, and I have found that it is perfect (for me) for year round hiking, and the top pocket allows me to carry all that I need regardless of the season.

Just Jim

taildragger
12-04-2007, 12:22
I ditch the top on my gregory if I know that its not going to rain. I wouldn't do such a thing for a hike where rain might be a problem. To me, the topless pack just seems like a big tube to fill with water, while the top might help shed some of the water off to the edges of the pack.

bredler
12-04-2007, 12:47
Mabe that was I. I just posted telling some one on the forums to"ditch the top pocket on there atmos 50". I agree with bleach, but usually larger packs have top pockets, and in this case the atmos 50, I think, is to much to big for thru-hiking. That is why in that perticular senario I though he should at least ditch the top pocket. To much compartments, keep it simple and light.

yours was the most recent, but I've noted about three or four posts saying the same thing. Some were kinda old, but a few people have said it.

D'Artagnan
12-04-2007, 12:50
I have the 50 and I use the top pocket. I find it useful for the things you may need to get too without pouring out your whole pack (snacks, rain cover, first aid kit).

Same here. Would hate to think of not having it.

Cuffs
12-04-2007, 13:52
Funny.... When hiking with my Osprey, I use the top pocket. I previously had a Gregory (Shasta) I never took the top poket when hiking... strange, and and I dont know why I made those choices...

Spirit Walker
12-04-2007, 13:56
Despite the weight, a top pocket can be very handy for keeping things like map, first aid kit, toilet paper and snacks handy. My ULA has a large front mesh pocket where I keep that sort of thing now, but I liked having it in a closed compartment, but still close at hand.

Jack Tarlin
12-04-2007, 16:00
I totally agree with Spirit Walker, and I've used Ospreys for years. You can lose a bit of weight by ditching your lid, but it's REALLY convenient to have one place where all your small stuff is freely available at any time, without digging thru the main compartment of your pack. This is where I keep things like snacks, my camera, journal, guidebook pages, headlamp, Poar Pure, etc. There are better weighs to trim weight than getting rid of something as truly useful as your packtop.

Dirty Harry
12-04-2007, 21:15
I see the trend, but the fact is where talking about some large packs here, expedtion packs. If we where trying to go down in size which I was refuring to, you would see a lid in fewer of the smaller packs. Aslo with a larger pack, like the good old dana teraplain, or the Aether-60, etc. those things have like a bizzilion outer pockets, where I bet if you tried you could fit your maps and snacks in those pockets and still ditch the lid, also if it drizzles nothing is getting into your pack without a lid, if it pores, your going to put a pack cover on any way right? Sorry if im turning this into a debate but im just bored.

Ewker
12-04-2007, 21:18
I have an Osprey 65 and find the top pocket very useful and worth the little bit of weight it adds. I like throwing a jacket under the lid and strapping it down for quick access without having to dig in the pack. Plus, I'd imagine without the top, the contents would get much wetter in some rain.

you put much nailed it. I like the top pocket :banana

Cuffs
12-04-2007, 21:23
I see the trend, but the fact is where (we're) talking about some large packs here, expedtion packs. No, just averave size, mine's a 50L/3000ci If we where (were) trying to go down in size which I was refuring (referring) to, you would see a lid in fewer of the smaller packs. Aslo (I'll let this one go as a typo) with a larger pack, like the good old dana teraplain, or the Aether-60, etc. those things have like a bizzilion (I think its more like 3) outer pockets, where I bet if you tried you could fit your maps and snacks in those pockets and still ditch the lid, also if it drizzles nothing is getting into your pack without a lid, if it pores, (pours) your going to put a pack cover on any way right? Sorry if im turning this into a debate but im just bored.

Im bored too.

stranger
12-10-2007, 21:42
I don't ditch the top pocket to save weight per say, although that is added bonus I guess for ounce counters, but I don't find any lid to be useful.

I keep all my small items in a small pouch that sits at the top of my pack but inside the pack. This is just as convienant in my opinion. Plus lids just make the pack more messy, with additional straps, if your pack isn't full it starts falling down the back, it can shift if overloaded, stuff falls out sometimes when you open it, etc...

The main function of lids in my opinion is "looks". A pack looks much worse without it, and as a result it will not sell as easily. Don't ever underestimate how much pack companies focus on looks, one year Arc'Teryx hired a fashion expert to solely work on their color schemes and angles of fabric, etc...

But in the end, it's what you like. I don't like lids, but tossing it won't save you much weight.