PDA

View Full Version : bag length

cabana
12-03-2007, 21:55
Does anyone know what the true overall length of a WM 6' 6" bag? I have a chance to get one cheap from a fried, but wonder if the length will interfer with my shelter options. I think the extra length will be handy for my boots, fuel and water when the temps drop at higher evevations.
Thank You,
Cabana

bigboots
12-03-2007, 22:01
I don't know what the "true" length is but the extra room is always good; especially if you need to put stuff in the bag with you. I currently have a 6' bag and is ok for just me but very uncomfortable with other items stuffed in it. I am looking for a good (and not to pricey) bag myself. I wouldn't worry about the extra length being a problem.

Bigboots

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 22:02
I believe it adds up to 78 inches. . . give or take zero.:-?

warraghiyagey
12-03-2007, 22:04
And unless it's a rigid bag (which I've never seen) it shouldn't interfere with your shelter options.

trlhiker
12-03-2007, 22:22
The problem I have found with longer bags are that there is more space to heat up on cold night especially by your feet which don't produce much heat anyway, plus you are carrying unnecessary weight.

cabana
12-03-2007, 22:35
Yeah I am a bit tied with the extra bulk of the long bag, but not the weight as it is only 3oz heavier. The long does have 60" shoulder girth comapred to the reg 59" girth. The rest of the bag has the same measurements. I am 5'10"+ 170lbs and find that the 60"girth allows me the option to wear a jacket in the bag. My hiking is in the rockies, so I really want a solid 15 deg bag.
Best Regards,Cabana

greentick
12-05-2007, 01:54
I have a WM Ultralight Super. I would say it is everybit of 6'6" as I can sleep on my belly with my arms up under my head and I am 6"2".

soulrebel
12-06-2007, 08:24
Only real reason i got a long bag was that it was wider - not longer.

and you're crazy if you wanna put your boots in there with you. My hiking shoes would rot out a footbox in a matter of minutes.

cabana
12-07-2007, 04:14
Only real reason i got a long bag was that it was wider - not longer.

and you're crazy if you wanna put your boots in there with you. My hiking shoes would rot out a footbox in a matter of minutes.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Well my boots as well. Trust me...it is not out of personal enjoyment that I would subject myself to such smells.

However, when hiking in the Rockies/West at about 10k elevation in the spring/fall the nights tend to get nippy. Have you had the pleasure of frozen boots in the morning? I have..not fun.

I am sure that you have had your water freeze over night. Not really a big deal in the low lands, but water can be tricker to find above tree line. Since it can be as far as 20 miles between reliable sources, it is a good idea to keep my water usabe.

Lastly, I have found that when the temps to fall below freezing, my stove performs better when warmed.

Thank for all of the helpful comments.
Happy Hikes,
Cabana

stranger
12-10-2007, 21:34
If you are a stomach sleeper than longer bags are a good idea. I'm only about 5'10 but use longs because when you sleep on your stomach your feet go the the tip-toe position, meaning you get taller when you sleep in your stomach. In most standard bags I can't get deep enough into the bag to be warm. I also like the idea of wider bags, so longs are roomier in that regards as well.