PDA

View Full Version : Dried Hamburger

LBJ
12-09-2003, 21:28
Has anybody dried hamburger to put in meals? I would like information on how to do it. For example, do I have to put some kind of perservative in it such as sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite, or will it keep just by drying it thoroughly?
Thanks,

Rain Man
12-09-2003, 21:53
Has anybody dried hamburger to put in meals? I would like information on how to do it. For example, do I have to put some kind of perservative in it such as sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite, or will it keep just by drying it thoroughly?
Thanks,

There was a recent discussion that included some posts on this topic, which might help you:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1480&highlight=dried+hamburger

Virginian
12-09-2003, 22:53
I ate a dried hamburger from an MRE once. It tasted like a dogs breath smells.

veteran
12-10-2003, 09:48
You could also try this link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2711

Blue Jay
12-10-2003, 10:15
I have dried hamburger several times without problems. Just closely follow the directions that come with your dehydrator. Buffalo meat holds its favor better.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2003, 10:48
shame on you blue jay...killing buffalo to eat....or any animal for that reason...

why can't you become civilized and become a veggie -tarin...and those bison killers are you trying to put more $$$ in ted turners pockets,,,,for shame

bigcat2
12-13-2003, 23:26
mmmm........ beef! It's what's for dinner. :)

Blister
12-14-2003, 01:05
I havn't had much problems with dehydrated hamburger unless you have it stored for long periods of time, It could get moldy, I was told that meats with a lesser fat content ie: buffalo or ground turkey will hold for longer. I used ground turkey on the PCT - never molded. Put it in Mac n cheese, dehydrated spag sauce and of course our specialty that year was calzones and pizza. Some of the jerky we made from beef had signs of molding by washington.

Footslogger
12-14-2003, 13:26
Used it on my thru hike this year and it was great. I didn't use any preservatives, since I was consuming it rather quickly after it had been dried. First ...I started off with super lean ground sirloin. I browned the meat in a skillet and added some A1 Steak Sauce for added flavor. Then I drained off the excess fluid and fat (althought there really wasn't much). Next I spread out the browned beef on some paper towels to absorb anything that didn't drain via gravity. After that it was into the dehydrator for around 4 - 6 hours. After it was dried it sort of resembled Grape Nuts cereal. I packed it in pint sized zip lock freezer strength bags and threw it in the freezer until I was ready to use it.

On the trail, I added the dried hamburger to Lipton meals ...generally the Beef Stroganoff variety and WOW, what a difference. It reconsitutes very fast and adds quite a bit of flavor, especially with that A1 marinade.

Rain Man
12-14-2003, 15:33
.. I browned the meat in a skillet and added some A1 Steak Sauce for added flavor. Then I drained off the excess fluid and fat (althought there really wasn't much). Next I spread out the browned beef on some paper towels to absorb anything that didn't drain via gravity. After that it was into the dehydrator for around 4 - 6 hours. After it was dried it sort of resembled Grape Nuts cereal. I packed it in pint sized zip lock freezer strength bags and threw it in the freezer until I was ready to use it.

On the trail, I added the dried hamburger to Lipton meals ...generally the Beef Stroganoff variety and WOW, what a difference. It reconsitutes very fast and adds quite a bit of flavor, especially with that A1 marinade.

Thanks, Footslogger! My daughter is planning her March 1st thru-hike right now. She has maps spread all over the den floor in front of a roaring fire in the fireplace. I'll give her a copy of your post. Having had the Lipton's Beef Stroganoff myself, I think some flavorful hamburger would have been just the thing!

Rain Man

Flatpicker
12-14-2003, 19:27
[QUOTE=Footslogger]After it was dried it sort of resembled Grape Nuts cereal. I packed it in pint sized zip lock freezer strength bags and threw it in the freezer until I was ready to use it.[QUOTE]

Does dehydrated meat need to be placed in the freezer? I read something about this once but no details like how long. Supposed to make it pasteurized I think.

Flatpicker

Footslogger
12-15-2003, 13:07
Flatpicker ....not sure if the hamburger absolutely has to be frozen once it is dried but I figured it couldn't hurt. I have to believe that lowering the storage temperature does have some beneficial effect in terms of retarding spoilage but I can't quote any scientific chapter and verse.

asmtroop3
12-16-2003, 10:31
I havn't had much problems with dehydrated hamburger unless you have it stored for long periods of time, It could get moldy, I was told that meats with a lesser fat content ie: buffalo or ground turkey will hold for longer. I used ground turkey on the PCT - never molded. Put it in Mac n cheese, dehydrated spag sauce and of course our specialty that year was calzones and pizza. Some of the jerky we made from beef had signs of molding by washington.

If I don't end up using it on a trip, I freeze it til the next trip.
dehydrated and frozen goes a long time and holds taste.

I dry mine with soy sauce to help flavor and preserve.

Alligator
01-13-2004, 16:26
I was looking for a place to mention this, here will do. I was at the store last night, [Wal-mart], and on an endcap they had foil packed hamburger, looked just like the foil pack tuna. So, for those interested in hamburger, a new option.

pixpusher
01-13-2004, 19:45
I was looking for a place to mention this, here will do. I was at the store last night, [Wal-mart], and on an endcap they had foil packed hamburger, looked just like the foil pack tuna. So, for those interested in hamburger, a new option.

i bought two packages of this stuff when i was down south (north carolina) visiting my brother.

haven't yet tried it. but here are the details:

jack links - fully cooked ground beef
(www.linksnacks.com)

package says "equivalent to 1 lb. fresh uncooked ground beef"
net wt. 10.6 oz. (300g)

i also noticed they had a few different "flavors", i bought "lightly seasoned" and "mexican style".

hope someone finds the info useful.

ltrz.

attroll
01-14-2004, 01:30
I bought a package last week but have not tried it yet.

They come in three floavrs that I saw, Italian flavor, Mexican flavor, and lightly seasoned. I got the lightly seasoned. I forgot I bought it until I read this thread. I will have to try it and post on here soon.

Uncle Wayne
01-14-2004, 03:37
My wife and I tried the lightly seasoned on our last trip and it was good. We used one package of the hamburger, one beanie weenie and stirred it all together while heating it. Added enough shredded cheese to stick it all together and while still warm spread it on soft taco shells lathered in mayonaise. Yum Yum!

The beef was as good as any we've cooked at home.

deeddawg
01-14-2004, 09:17
Does dehydrated meat need to be placed in the freezer? I read something about this once but no details like how long. Supposed to make it pasteurized I think.

The recommendation is that game meats, should be placed in a 0F freezer for one month to kill any live parasites which may be present. I've read in one place to do the freezer storage before making jerky, and in another to do so after.

For commercially produced meats, this should not be necessary -- but storing jerky in the freezer will lengthen its shelf-life if there are residual fats which may go rancid.

Pabst
01-14-2004, 10:24
i bought two packages of this stuff when i was down south (north carolina) visiting my brother.

haven't yet tried it. but here are the details:

jack links - fully cooked ground beef
(www.linksnacks.com)

package says "equivalent to 1 lb. fresh uncooked ground beef"
net wt. 10.6 oz. (300g)

i also noticed they had a few different "flavors", i bought "lightly seasoned" and "mexican style".

hope someone finds the info useful.

ltrz.

I had the Italian kind and added it to some dehydrated Spagetti I cooked. It definetly enhanced the flavor of the spagetti and provided us with some good fuel for our body that was burned up earlier that day.

MadAussieInLondon
01-14-2004, 13:22
if you dried it, wouldnt you get something like jerky? since hamburger patty is just a piece of steak right?

speaking of burgers, the poms dont know how to make hamburgers... (and I dont trust brit beef)...

whats typical hamburger like in america?

i miss aussie burgers. bun, beef, lettuce, tomato, fried egg, cheese, bacon, sliced beetroot, tom suace definatly no mayonaise and no gherkin.

it aint a burger without fried egg + sliced canned beetroot. its traditional.

:banana

Pabst
01-14-2004, 13:44
Interesting Burger - I'd Try it!

grant-cuz
03-05-2004, 00:46
I tried that "Jack Links" hamburger. It smells like moist cat food. It probably is moist cat food. :) I had to throw it out after a few bites.

jec6613
03-05-2004, 04:45
Salting meats when dehydrating also makes them last much longer. You can even buy salted fish at most supermarkets that's already dehydrated, although it's way too much to take and you'd have to rehydrate and then dehydrate again to split it apart.

nchiker
03-06-2004, 10:33
Like others say fry the hamburger drain off fat the put acouple papertowles on some news papers to soak up extra liquid then put in dehidrator. i have dried sausage to put in rice .its great

okpik
03-06-2004, 14:49
Salting meats when dehydrating also makes them last much longer. You can even buy salted fish at most supermarkets that's already dehydrated, although it's way too much to take and you'd have to rehydrate and then dehydrate again to split it apart.

Try soy sauce instead of salt.
Better flavor

Furlough
08-10-2004, 11:48
I bought a package last week but have not tried it yet.

They come in three floavrs that I saw, Italian flavor, Mexican flavor, and lightly seasoned. I got the lightly seasoned. I forgot I bought it until I read this thread. I will have to try it and post on here soon.I tried this out while hiking this past weekend. Mixed it in (Mexican Flavor) with 3 Cheese Hamburger Helper. I liked it and will definitely try this again.

Furlough

sgtjinx
08-10-2004, 13:16
I ate a dried hamburger from an MRE once. It tasted like a dogs breath smells.
Carboard tastes better than a MRE (MEALS REJECTED BY EVERYONE) :D :D