PDA

View Full Version : Allen Gap

HikerMan36
12-04-2007, 15:24
New hiker and would like any info. on the Allen Gap to Horse Creek section of the trail (difficulty of terrain,time to hike,general info.) also same info. on
Allen Gap to Hot Springs section. Also are these sections to tough for children because I would like to take my 9 yr.old son with me....thanks.

Nean
12-04-2007, 16:02
Allen to Hot Springs is a nice 16m section, mostly downhill that a 9year old could easily do. The other way I can't rememeber the miles but it's more exposed w/ some big climbs. Kids younger than your son have done the whole trail with thier parents. Enjoy!

Morning Glory
12-04-2007, 17:07
I just did Allen Gap to Hot Springs this past weekend. The terrain is fairly easy. Most of the climbing is done in the first 3 miles. Also, their is very little water. Spring Mtn. shelter had a little puddle of about 2 liters that takes about an hour to refill. All of the major springs in this section were practically dry.

HikerMan36
12-05-2007, 11:00
Thanks for the info. how long did it take you to do this section?

HikerMan36
12-05-2007, 11:02
Also since the water sources are dry, how much water would you recommend taking?

HikerMan36
12-05-2007, 11:07
Morning Glory what sections of the AT have you done in the NE,TN. area?

Morning Glory
12-06-2007, 13:26
I've done from Damascus to Hot Springs. I couldn't tell you how much water to bring. It depends how much you typically drink in a day. I would definitely bring a filter since any water source you do find will be nothing but a puddle. Someone had left some jugs of water at Tanyard gap, but they were empty. This is a fairly easy section...even for a fat guy like me. The slowest part was those first few miles to Spring Mtn. Shelter, which took me a couple of hours. The last 11 miles took me 6 hours, including breaks.

Tennessee Viking
12-06-2007, 14:49
If you want to take precautions, you can drive up to Hurricane Gap and hide a water cash. Also hide one at Tanyard Gap.

As for Allen Gap to Horse Creek, it is a big climb over 7 miles. After that it is ridgetop trail to Cold Spring Mtn.

You will have to jump off at Big Butt. The forest road that leads up to the trail is very rough. And last I heard, it is closed to vehicles except for maintenance purposes. There are a couple trails leading up to it, but I found the trails around Horse Creek needing to be maintained.

HikerMan36
12-06-2007, 15:02
Is the trail well marked from Allen Gap to Horse Creek? Is the jump Off at Bigg Butt? Is this the same road that they open once a year for the decoration ceremony at the Graves?

Tennessee Viking
12-07-2007, 00:37
I have only seen the AT on that section at the top of Camp Creek then down at Flint Gap. And its well blazed. Carolina Club does some pretty good work. But the trailhead at Allen Gap is a bit hard to spot when driving by it. Its pretty well camoflauged by the trees. From Upper Paint Creek Road/Viking Mtn Road to the stateline, you will see a small Cherokee Forest sign in a turn out. Just a few feet past that is the trail.

After Jerry Cabin, there are two options to go to Horse Creek. One is the Sarvis Cove trail. The other is the Horse Creek forest road near Big Butt. The Sarvis Cove trail is a bit rough. There is also an unmarked route that will lead you to Round Knob Rec Area as well. But I have not ever attempted it. They all take a long curvy way down.

Unless you are really wanting to jump off trail to Horse Creek, you can actually probably head out at Devils Fork Gap on the state line in the same amount of time.

HikerMan36
12-07-2007, 09:19
I have only seen the AT on that section at the top of Camp Creek then down at Flint Gap. And its well blazed. Carolina Club does some pretty good work. But the trailhead at Allen Gap is a bit hard to spot when driving by it. Its pretty well camoflauged by the trees. From Upper Paint Creek Road/Viking Mtn Road to the stateline, you will see a small Cherokee Forest sign in a turn out. Just a few feet past that is the trail.

After Jerry Cabin, there are two options to go to Horse Creek. One is the Sarvis Cove trail. The other is the Horse Creek forest road near Big Butt. The Sarvis Cove trail is a bit rough. There is also an unmarked route that will lead you to Round Knob Rec Area as well. But I have not ever attempted it. They all take a long curvy way down.

Unless you are really wanting to jump off trail to Horse Creek, you can actually probably head out at Devils Fork Gap on the state line in the same amount of time.

Does Devil's Fork Gap cross a hwy. or road? If not where would a person get off the trail at?

butch trent
12-07-2007, 17:46
Tn 352/nc208

Brushy Sage
12-07-2007, 18:39
The AT road crossing at Devils Fork Gap is NC 212.