PDA

View Full Version : Even fewer pay phones = more cell phones?

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 17:06
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/12/04/att-says-goodbye-to-payphones.aspx

Remember, cell phones are not an issue on the trail. ;)

Sly
12-04-2007, 17:24
With an estimated 250 million U.S. residents now sporting cellular phones from carriers such as.....

That means 5 of 6 people in the US have a cell phone? I tend to doubt it.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 17:27
Maybe the numbers come out like that because some of us carry more than one. Everyone in my unit has two - their personal one and a work one (no personal phone calls allowed) that they must have with them. I imagine some businesses do similar things for their employees. So us two net operators skew the numbers.

Sly
12-04-2007, 17:30
That could be true Rock but the wording is wrong. Should be 250 million cellphones in use, not 250 million sporting cellphones.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 17:34
That could be true Rock but the wording is wrong. Should be 250 million cellphones in use, not 250 million sporting cellphones.

Right. And an incredible number of jr. high and high school students carry cell phones, but not my sons.

Mags
12-04-2007, 17:46
The largest amount of pay phone users used to be people who did not have good credit for a land line much less a cell phone.

With pre-paid cell phones that paid for by the minute (with no credit check), even this market is shrinking.

It will be a while before pay phones go away completely. But good luck finding one in an emegency!

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 17:52
I know a couple of folks that have three or more. Personal ones at that. I have never bothered to ask why.

Yukon
12-04-2007, 18:05
I agree with SGTROCK, many people have a work and personal cell, as do I...

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 18:41
I know some people who prefer a traditional cell phone for calls and a pda type of cell phone for email, internet and other functions.

LIhikers
12-04-2007, 18:55
Yep, the company I work for has given me a cell phone to carry. I guess I'm just one of 250 million.

kayak karl
12-04-2007, 19:02
Maybe the numbers come out like that because some of us carry more than one. Everyone in my unit has two - their personal one and a work one (no personal phone calls allowed) that they must have with them. I imagine some businesses do similar things for their employees. So us two net operators skew the numbers.
your right. i carry 2.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:08
I would venture to guess that the number of people in the US with cell phones is probably closer to 150 million.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 19:11
I would venture to guess that the number of people in the US with cell phones is probably closer to 150 million.

What is the estimate of hikers with a cell phone?

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:16
Who knows...

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 19:20
What is the estimate of hikers with a cell phone?

How about a percentage? 25%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 75%?

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:22
I would imagine 60% but that is a guess. My guess is many cary and keep them on the down low. That is hikers, not thru-hikers. I imagine they are much lower in that group.

Tin Man
12-04-2007, 19:26
I would imagine 60% but that is a guess. My guess is many cary and keep them on the down low. That is hikers, not thru-hikers. I imagine they are much lower in that group.

Sounds like the thru-hiker percentage will go up when you hit the trail. ;) Seriously, I think people are beginning to recognize that a cell phone is required to keep in touch with loved ones since pay phones are going bye-bye. I think we will see more cell phone feature comparison threads (sort of like camera threads), rather than arguments pro and con against cell phones.

Kirby
12-04-2007, 19:27
Hey Rock:
Is your work phone paid for by the U.S. Military, I certainly hope it is.

Kirby

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 19:28
Hey Rock:
Is your work phone paid for by the U.S. Military, I certainly hope it is.

Kirby
Yes. It is a Crackberry serviced by Sprint. This way they can bug me by both phone and e-mail 24/7

4eyedbuzzard
12-04-2007, 19:59
I think you'll see more and more with thru-hikers for several reasons:

The biggest reason is that coverage is expanding, limited service was/is one of the biggest reasons to choose not to bring one.

Many older thru-hikers may need or want to stay in touch with business and financial concerns more often than pay phones would allow. Some say it detracts from a hike, but it also may actually aid in allowing many people who otherwise couldn't get away for the length of time required for a thru-hike to do so.

Digital phones replace pocket mail for journals.

Built in cameras and video capabilities (pics/vids can be e-mailed) with better resolution being offered ever generation.

Emergencies.

CoyoteWhips
12-04-2007, 20:29
When I get back to hiking, in the Spring, I'm taking a camera phone to post photos on my journal from the trail.

Skidsteer
12-04-2007, 20:31

I don't know.

Most thru-hikers are young right? Kids that age carry cellphones like we carried pocketknives.

Interesting question.

Kirby
12-04-2007, 20:33
I don't know.

Most thru-hikers are young right? Kids that age carry cellphones like we carried pocketknives.

Interesting question.

I carry both:D.

Kirby

Doctari
12-04-2007, 20:35
In about 2000 I could likely count 100 to 200 pay phones in the greater Cincinnati area, & I travel all over town on an almost daily basis, now, I actually know where 5* are. I still know where the other ones were, but they ain't there no more.

Based on that info, & as much as I hate to, all my section hikes from now on will involve carrying my (nmad) cell phone. BUT, it will stay off while on the trail.

Doctari.

* There were 2 pairs, I counted each pair as one.
"nmad": read backwards.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 20:41
I don't know.

Interesting question.
I think the main limiting factor for a while will be charging. Solar doesn't do it and places to charge are a few days apart. I haven't tried to charge at a hostel yet, but I can imagine with 15 hikers around that plugs fill up fast - maybe Ms Janet has seen this with folks looking for a place to plug in.

That said, cell phone batteries with LiIon are longer lasting than older NiCad and charge faster (I think they do anyway). Someone that only uses their phone occasionally and carries a spare battery may be able to work around that sort of problem.

solace
12-04-2007, 20:55
Heres an intersesting subject indeed!... Indeed, as technology grows, so do our "comforts", like the cell-phone/mP3 Player/Camera/internet (all-in-one!)
Technology, for as much as it has helped society has hurt us as well. This country was mostly a blue-collar nation, with manufacturing jobs a plenty. Those jobs were very physical, and men & women had much better personal skills, such as just talking to one another, with better manners than today. Also, the work ethic was MUCH better in the country 20-50 years ago. Technology today has some folk sitting at computers, never talking to another human being, eating fast-food, and getting a prescription for somthing called "restless-leg syndrom" ! (god help us!) And with this, "some" folk can't live w/o thier cellphones now, talking while driving, even texting while driving.... :( From society, this carry's a bit to to the Trail. How many of us have sat around the campfire enjoying the days end conversation & friendship only to have a fellow hiker 5 feet away, "HELLO, JIM! CAN YOU YOU HEAR ME!?!" Blabbing into a cellphone... Safe to say that SGT Rock, you and others are prob. right on that 2/3rd of us have cell-phones now... how many hikers??? More and more.. thats for sure, and, I'm NOT SAYING that they don't belong on the trail. Indeed, some carry for emergency. Others for the built-in-camera or journal features, ect. But it comes down to RESPECTING one another on ANY trail. If thier is a call to be made, in my opinion, it should be done AWAY from anyone hearing you. Arriving to a road and trying to get into town, yes, its very convenient to have the cell-phone, mine stays in my bounce-box, but Im not against it being out there, again, as long as others respect WHAY THE AT is there in the first place... and, why we hike... Is it to chat away on the cell-phone... I think not...... But as the years go by, it becomes more previlant indeed.
*AGAIN* I'm not saying they do or don't belong, that is up to the individual.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 20:59
Something I have noticed too is writing style of posters. Some of the way people punctuate, use capitalization, or have all their thought come out in a run on manner lead me to believe they are either posting from one of the new Internet ready phones or are use to typing out IMs more than they are with real typing.

Skidsteer
12-04-2007, 20:59
I think the main limiting factor for a while will be charging. Solar doesn't do it and places to charge are a few days apart. I haven't tried to charge at a hostel yet, but I can imagine with 15 hikers around that plugs fill up fast - maybe Ms Janet has seen this with folks looking for a place to plug in.

That said, cell phone batteries with LiIon are longer lasting than older NiCad and charge faster (I think they do anyway). Someone that only uses their phone occasionally and carries a spare battery may be able to work around that sort of problem.

Even the NiCad batteries are vastly improved these days. My work phone will go 3-4 days between charges and the only time I turn it off is on trail.

Cold weather seems to drain it faster than talk time.

rlharris
12-04-2007, 21:30
It will be a while before pay phones go away completely. But good luck finding one in an emegency!

Verizon is removing traditional pay phones from the areas in which there is no cell phone coverage. Of course, they also want out of the land line business in the three northern New England states altogether (but they don't provide cell coverage in large portions of those states either).

Doctari
12-04-2007, 23:20

I found a neat little thing that charges your cell phone "In 3 hrs" using a single AA battery. Tha's what I'm carrying next section hike, I may carry my 110 v charger, but I can get a week of stand by (phone on, not in use) with one full charge so, , , ,

Doctari.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 23:22
I've seen those things that use two AA batteries at the supermarket

Uncle Silly
12-05-2007, 00:02
Digital phones replace pocket mail for journals.

I don't see that happening. Unless you're carrying a Crackberry or one of the smartphones that flip open to reveal a full keyboard and lengthwise screen. Can you imagine using your phone to TXT-message your trail journal home? Uh-uh.

Nightwalker
12-05-2007, 00:17
That means 5 of 6 people in the US have a cell phone? I tend to doubt it.

Yeah, I thought it'd be a lot more than that!

River Runner
12-05-2007, 04:09
I carry a cell phone on all my section hikes of the AT, because I can usually get cell phone reception somewhere. I can briefly call my husband & assure him I am OK, which puts his mind to ease about me hiking. (He has bad knees and cannot hike). Other than the brief times I call him (or my mom, who also worries about me), or for calling a shuttle, I keep the cell phone off in my pack.

Like it or not, cell phones are part of most people's lives now. Hopefully most are polite about it and use them out of earshot of others, as I try to do.

Marta
12-05-2007, 06:55
I don't see that happening. Unless you're carrying a Crackberry or one of the smartphones that flip open to reveal a full keyboard and lengthwise screen. Can you imagine using your phone to TXT-message your trail journal home? Uh-uh.

Stumpknocker has an awesome device (I forget what it's called, but I think he says on his TJ) that has a small keyboard, tiny screen, and is a camera phone. It's Verizon and the contract was not horribly $$$. It's a huge improvement over the Crackberry. It'll be interesting to see how it works out for him in terms of reliability, battery life, etc.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-05-2007, 07:11
Verizon is removing traditional pay phones from the areas in which there is no cell phone coverage. Of course, they also want out of the land line business in the three northern New England states altogether (but they don't provide cell coverage in large portions of those states either).

Part and parcel of what happens when a "utility" is deregulated. The cost of all that copper connecting points of service to switches is a killer in rural areas where a mile of line serves one $12.00 a month account. All those MBA's are beating the heck out of Excel figuring out where the costs can be cut to increase profit. Everyone wants exclusive phone franchises in New York, LA and Houston, no one wants it in West noplace pop. 5.

CoyoteWhips
12-05-2007, 09:22
I wouldn't be surprised if Google has the whole AT wired for wifi by 2010.

nitewalker
12-05-2007, 09:30
my family owns a campground here in connecticut and we are required to have a payphone. we need to give the payphone provider 50$ every month to keep the service open for people who are camping here as an emergency means of contacting e services. the cell phones are the reason our payphone makes no loot. just five yrs ago we were raking in 300$ a month off the thing now we have to pay to keep it here......

Fiddleback
12-05-2007, 10:41
Three phones, three phone numbers = $17/month.:) YMMV.

The lower the cost of cell phone and cell phone services, the more prevalent they will be. I have three cell phones, each with its own number and I 'never' use them. I don't get cell phone service at my residence...indeed, I have to drive about 15 minutes before I find coverage but the phones cost me so little that I carry them in each vehicle for emergencies, the occasional call to let My Lady know I'm on my way home when leaving town late at night, when traveling, etc.

I use TracFone. Their cute, little clam shell model phones can be had for as little as $20 and one year of service (w/250 minutes which accrue) can be consistently bought on EBay for mid- to high-$60. That puts each phone's cost well under $6/month. For those that use cell phones sparingly or want to have them available for emergencies I think it's a great deal. And when I have used them I've had no problems making calls...throughout Montana, the Salt Lake City, Minneapolis and Atlanta airports, southern Arkansas, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

The $50 for the family campground pay phone that nitewalker writes about could provide half a dozen cell phones for loan and still have savings left over. They might even be a profit center if a nominal fee was charged.:)

FB

veteran
12-05-2007, 11:28
AT&T saying good-bye to its last pay phones

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-tue_payphones_dec04,0,4069235.story?coll=chi_tab01 _layout

Critterman
12-05-2007, 12:20

They don't talk either, they just text message each other.

Deadeye
12-05-2007, 16:22
Someone that only uses their phone occasionally and carries a spare battery may be able to work around that sort of problem.

That's me! A charge lasts me months. I have a Tracfone (prepaid service) and just use it on occassion. It's more to pacify family members who think it will help in an emergency (I could throw it at a squirrel for lunch).

Undershaft
12-06-2007, 12:10

My 3 year old phone with the original battery lasted over three weeks on the trail this summer without recharging. I turned it on every day to check for messages, sometimes two or three times a day. I made/recieved a call every 3 or 4 days and sent text/picture messages at least a few times a week. Unless your talking on the phone A LOT, the battery should last a long time. Finding a place to recharge every couple of weeks shouldn't be a problem.

DavidNH
12-06-2007, 14:27
I hiked the AT in 2006. I did not carry a cell phone. If I were to hike the trail again I still would not take a cell phone. There were land phones in every town pretty much. If there's a library or a post office there is a pay phone with few exceptions. One exception.. at Abol Bridge camp store in Me they have a payphone that is not land based but is a cell phone. It was costly and reception terrible.

Just rant though... isn't it annoying that people still somehow need to stay in touch even when way out in the woods? isn't it annoying when someone is talking loudly sharing details of his life with in range of earshot. And why the hell do people need to send text messages on a phone? wait till you get home and use the computer. Or better yet just call!

Sure I will agree cell phones are a convenience. But they are NOT a necessity and they sure as hell are an annoyance. And aren't any of you bothered by all those damn towers they put up on the mountain and hill tops to provide the cell phone coverage?

I am half tempted to get an anti cell phone forum started here on white blaze..if only there were more folks who feel as I do!! I have a suspcion though I am among the minority.

David

Tin Man
12-06-2007, 14:35
David,

Perhaps you missed the articles included in this thread. AT&T and Verizon are both planning to remove many pay phones in their respective coverage areas, which could include places where you used pay phones on your hike last year.

River Runner
12-07-2007, 01:30
Just rant though... isn't it annoying that people still somehow need to stay in touch even when way out in the woods?

<SNIP>

And aren't any of you bothered by all those damn towers they put up on the mountain and hill tops to provide the cell phone coverage?

<SNIP>

David

I guess some folks just enjoy being close to their family or friends or reassuring those who may be worrying about them.

The cell phone towers weren't put up there just for the convenience of hikers. They are serving the nearby highways & towns. So my using my phone (discreetly) on trail isn't really a factor in whether the cell tower will be there or not.

The thin towers on the hill tops don't bother me nearly as much as all those darn houses I can see down in the valleys spoiling the view of nature. Why don't we start a thread about getting rid of all the houses within view of the trail? ;) Maybe because society supports allowing people choices of how they want to live as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others? :rolleyes:

nitewalker
12-07-2007, 10:24
Three phones, three phone numbers = $17/month.:) YMMV.

The lower the cost of cell phone and cell phone services, the more prevalent they will be. I have three cell phones, each with its own number and I 'never' use them. I don't get cell phone service at my residence...indeed, I have to drive about 15 minutes before I find coverage but the phones cost me so little that I carry them in each vehicle for emergencies, the occasional call to let My Lady know I'm on my way home when leaving town late at night, when traveling, etc.

I use TracFone. Their cute, little clam shell model phones can be had for as little as $20 and one year of service (w/250 minutes which accrue) can be consistently bought on EBay for mid- to high-$60. That puts each phone's cost well under $6/month. For those that use cell phones sparingly or want to have them available for emergencies I think it's a great deal. And when I have used them I've had no problems making calls...throughout Montana, the Salt Lake City, Minneapolis and Atlanta airports, southern Arkansas, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

The $50 for the family campground pay phone that nitewalker writes about could provide half a dozen cell phones for loan and still have savings left over. They might even be a profit center if a nominal fee was charged.:)

FB the state requires our campground to have an accesible emergency phone available at all hours of the day/night..this is why we still have the payphone.....

superman
12-07-2007, 16:31
I hiked the AT in 2006. I did not carry a cell phone. If I were to hike the trail again I still would not take a cell phone. There were land phones in every town pretty much. If there's a library or a post office there is a pay phone with few exceptions. One exception.. at Abol Bridge camp store in Me they have a payphone that is not land based but is a cell phone. It was costly and reception terrible.

Just rant though... isn't it annoying that people still somehow need to stay in touch even when way out in the woods? isn't it annoying when someone is talking loudly sharing details of his life with in range of earshot. And why the hell do people need to send text messages on a phone? wait till you get home and use the computer. Or better yet just call!

Sure I will agree cell phones are a convenience. But they are NOT a necessity and they sure as hell are an annoyance. And aren't any of you bothered by all those damn towers they put up on the mountain and hill tops to provide the cell phone coverage?

I am half tempted to get an anti cell phone forum started here on white blaze..if only there were more folks who feel as I do!! I have a suspcion though I am among the minority.

David

I and many others agree with you. The reality is that cell phones are the future whether we like it or not. Wing Foot used to rail against cell phones as an invasion on the hiking experience. Cell phone use, at that time, didn't amount to much so I wondered why he had his panties in a bunch over it. He was probably right in his rigid sort of way. There have been many writings that argue against the invasion of the woodland experience by gadgets but it's going to happen anyways. I tent and attempt to avoid the phone booths that used to be shelters but there is a common scene that re-plays. The cell phone user who stands on a mountaintop calling everyone he knows and loudly yells, "guess where I am." The use of the toys were limited by some degree of discretion or trail etiquette but that's not so much any more. In 1967, I did a recon on the Ho Chi Minh Trail with a PRC 25 that didn't work and felt less compulsion than these people do to just chitty chat. It doesn't matter if I accept the use of all that junk on any trail...it is what it is. We both know that all that stuff that's being hauled to the woods for a hike is just a "want'...not a "need" but there it is.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 16:47
If only jammers were legal...

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/reviews/celljammers/index.shtml

Smile
12-07-2007, 18:22
We both know that all that stuff that's being hauled to the woods for a hike is just a "want'...not a "need" but there it is.

Well put :)