PDA

View Full Version : Pack Covers

illininagel
12-09-2003, 22:50
In reading some of the threads, it seems that some hikers choose not to go with a pack cover. Instead, they protect their items from the inside by protecting them with zip lock bags and so forth.

It seems to me that not covering my backpack in the rain would cause the pack itself to get soaked. I'm thinking that the pack would pick up significant weight if it was drenched with water, even if the contents were protected.

When I first started backpacking, I foolishly thought that my Jansport backpack was waterproof! I hiked through the rain forests of Olympic National Park only to later find out that the water went through my pack and drenched most of the contents. Fortunately, I had enough sense to keep my sleeping bag and some of my clothes wrapped in plastic. However, the pack weighed a ton after a few hours of soaking rain.

On the other hand, how much water can the pack itself really hold? Maybe the additional weight really isn't that much of an issue. Any thoughts on this?

:-?

Doctari
12-09-2003, 22:58
"I know my pack is waterproof, it stoppped raining 4 hours ago and there is still 3 inches of water in the bottom." :D

There is a trash compactor bag inside my pack, my sleeping bag is in it. Everything else is in an apropriate sized FREEZER zip lock. And, in spite of my little joke above, I didn't notice any added water weight inside the bag. The bag got wet, soaked in fact, but as it is nylon, it absorbed almost no water, and 30 minutes after the sun came out, it was dry again. How much rain? I have no idea in inches, but it rained for over 48 hrs.

IMHO: rain covers are too heavy, hard to put on, and don't cover very well anyway. My $0.02

Doctari.

Alligator
12-09-2003, 23:49
For a general idea regarding the usefulness of your pack cover, consider how much water would weigh the same as the pack cover. My pack cover weighs about four ounces. The amount of water that is equivalent to this weight is about 4.4 fluid ounces, or about 1/2 cup. My pack will easily absorb this amount of water, so I bring the pack cover. I also put my sleeping bag in a trash bag. I internally bag no other items except my flask of whiskey, which although generally leak proof, I fear any potential spills. Fuel is on the outside, in one of my water bottle pockets. Lots of freezer bags can add up, as do too many ditty bags.

My pack cover is very waterproof. When it shows signs of wear I just silicone spray it.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2003, 10:24
Also consider that you carry the pack cover All the time even when it is not raining...

sloetoe
12-10-2003, 11:12
In reading some of the threads, it seems that some hikers choose not to go with a pack cover. Instead, they protect their items from the inside by protecting them with zip lock bags and so forth.

It seems to me that not covering my backpack in the rain would cause the pack itself to get soaked. I'm thinking that the pack would pick up significant weight if it was drenched with water, even if the contents were protected.
:-?

I did this little experiment when I got back into backpacking (trying fresh approaches to just about everything) and was *amazed* at how much weight my pack gained, and how slowly it dried out. A rain cover (unless it's cordura or gold-plated or something) is *well* worth the carry-weight. imo/fwiw

'Toe

Alligator
12-10-2003, 11:18
I just naturally assume that it will rain on me while backpacking, especially when I'm with my hiking buddy, Commander Fog. We try to hide in those green tunnels, but the weather gods usually find us.

Hammock Hanger
12-10-2003, 11:27
a lightwt pack cover is well worth it's ounces. A silnylon one weighs nothing and will keep you pack from soaking up all moisture during a rain storm. A silnylon cover weighs less then a bunch of plastic bags. I used one on my trip. I did not line my pack with a garbage bag, I did not put a hundred ziplocks in my pack for my clothes & gear (here I used small silnylon bags). Not once did I have a problem with any of my gear getting wet. There are times when you hike for days in the rain. Your gear will get moist due to all the moisture in the air when you are camping and such but nothing will help that. Good Luck. Hammock Hanger:jump

steve hiker
12-10-2003, 11:43
What about a Packa? Looks like it would be easy to use and provide foolproof coverage. I have a standard raincover I bought from Campmor, and it's a pain in the butt because it tends to slide off and doesn't cover the part of my pack next to my back.

Ealing
12-10-2003, 12:00
It's odd that manufactors can't make properly waterproofed backpacks. Not too much to ask for when you're paying lots of money. There are a few, for example

http://www.thebackpackstore.com/trek.html
http://www.thebackpackstore.com/waterproof.html

, but I don't know if they are nice to carry with.

I often use a liner for my Golite Gust., from Outdoor designs. Pretty good, fairly light:
http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/product_images/410126.jpg

-These silicon sprays, is it any good to spray the inside & outside of any backpack? Does it stand up to wear?

Alligator
12-10-2003, 12:27
I have used silicon spray on my older packs, but not my newer Osprey. I would say that it helps a lot but is certainly not 100%. Since I always have my pack cover, I can't evaluate the two separately. I respray my pack cover when I notice it's starting to saturate on trips. I am sure that the silicon has some weight, as it's a fairly wet coating. Originally, my pack cover had a urethane(?) protective coat. This has worn out in spots, thus the silicone spray. The pack cover is the Camp Trails urethane coated one from Campor and it adequately covers my Aether 60. The only problem I ever had was that in extreme wet conditions, if water does get inside, from drip, or driving rain near the back, it will actually collect in the fitted bottom. So I punched two holes in the bottom with a hole punch. Some covers have grommeted holes for this purpose. (Don't put too many holes in case you put the pack down in a puddle.)

The most durable waterproofing seems to be materially based, such as gore-tex, versus a coating, which tends to abrade off. But materials that are waterproof tend to have issues such as cost and durability, so there is a tradeoff. There are packs made out of silnylon that may be waterproof, but I would be reluctant to use one because of durability.

Hammock Hanger
12-10-2003, 17:07
What about a Packa? Looks like it would be easy to use and provide foolproof coverage. I have a standard raincover I bought from Campmor, and it's a pain in the butt because it tends to slide off and doesn't cover the part of my pack next to my back.Go to www.thepacka.com (http://www.thepacka.com/) I have my remarks on the comments page. Sue/HH

Cedar Tree
12-10-2003, 20:12
I am also a member of Whiteblaze, so I can answer any specific questions about the Packa. Thanks HH for posting the link. Her full Packa review can be found under Gear Reviews at Whiteblaze. "Foolproof"....that's pretty good. Can I quote you on my comments page?
Cedar Tree

scout005
12-14-2003, 17:38
i dont carry a pack cover. i have a sil-nylon poncho to cover my pack. bought it at campmor. about $40 and weighs half a pound or so. it serves as my pack cover, rain poncho, ground cloth and i rig it up at a.t. shelters to keep the rain and wind from blowing in on me from the open side of the shelter. one piece of gear that can serve 3 or 4 different functions. that's cool.

Footslogger
12-14-2003, 18:38
My personal experience with a number of different pack cover materials is that under heavy downpour they all leak ...sooner or later, even the supposed waterproof silnylon type. In a drizzle their great. In the morning after an all night rain they'll shed the drippage from the trees. But otherwise I have found them all to leak over time.

Having said that I admit that I do carry a pack cover and use it when indicated. However, of much greater value and security is a good bag liner. I chose the Wal-Mart brand plastic trash compactor bag. I think they come in either a 5 or 10 pack. They are made of a thicker plastic than standard trashbags (I think they're about 5 - 6 mils thick). I hiked one from Springer to Pearisburg this year and then replaced it with a new one that got me all the way to Katahdin. On numerous occasions the outer material of my backpack was soaked however I NEVER (and I use that word sparingly) had any wet gear or clothing.

I was so impressed that I would NEVER do another distance hike without one (liner bag, that is). But yes ...I would most likely carry a pack cover but it would be the ultralight silnylon type.

Kerosene
12-14-2003, 19:11
Footslogger, I wonder how much extra water weight you soaked pack added, and whether or not a combination of pack cover and liner bag might work best?

RagingHampster
12-14-2003, 20:01
I recently bought a SilNylon pack cover for my external frame, and I still get plenty of soakage on the back. Though less durable, I get less wet using the 'ole garbage bag technique with a few slots for the belts.

I'm moving onto a seperate project consisting of ditching the pack itself, and simply lashing drybags to the frame.

steve hiker
12-14-2003, 21:23
Just found out the Packa costs $110. That's right, $110.00 (plus $5 shipping).

I don't care how good it is, I ain't paying no $110 for a pack cover.:datz

Rain Man
12-15-2003, 00:40
Just found out the Packa costs $110. That's right, $110.00 (plus $5 shipping).

I don't care how good it is, I ain't paying no $110 for a pack cover.:datz

For what it's worth, the Packa is ALSO a parka. I paid more than $110 for my Gore-Tex parka (before I switched to Frogg Toggs), so at $110 for a parka and a pack cover all-in-one, some might consider it a good deal. Anyway, just another perspective. That's all.

Rain Man