PDA

View Full Version : AT Documentary 2008/2009

Videographer
12-04-2007, 22:59
Hello all. My name is Jason, and I work for a PBS affiliate on the Space Coast of Florida. I am currently researching for a possible High-Definition video documentary project on the AT in 2008/2009. This film is not for PBS; it is purely an independent project of mine on the side.

I am posting here in hopes to obtain feedback and learn more about the various motivations for making a thru-hike. Any and all stories are welcome. I am looking for several hikers to profile/network/research in 2008, so please share your stories with me. I am very interested.

If you want to learn more about the film idea, or think you have an interesting story that should be told, please contact me asap. Thanks!

Jason Boone
[email protected]

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 23:02
Sounds like a cool project. So will I see you around the trail next year?

Videographer
12-04-2007, 23:05
Yes you definitely will. I am not thru-hiking, only visiting sections throughout the season. Hopefully I will meet some interesting people through this forum. Thanks for being the first to respond to me!!

Jason

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 23:06
No problem. If you can make it to SoRuck next month you could get some of those stories for next year's class.

Videographer
12-04-2007, 23:08
Yeah I might just make it up there.

SGT Rock
12-04-2007, 23:11
If you do, you will get to meet some of us and some of the previous classes. There are some interesting characters here already. Kirby, Survivor Dave, EWS (I think he hikes next year) and others.

Sly
12-04-2007, 23:11
No problem. If you can make it to SoRuck next month you could get some of those stories for next year's class.

Yeah good idea, as long as you don't taped me. I'm camera shy. :o Videographer, the SoRuck details are on the link in my sig

Just a Hiker
12-04-2007, 23:26
While you are making your little movie, don't forget to mention the real heros of the Appalachian Trail. I am talking about the trail maintainers up and down the trail, and the people who have dedicated their lives to the trail and it's hikers..ie..Bob Peoples, Miss Janet, and many others who spend countless hours taking care of our azzes. Just my opinion:D

Just Jim

Sly
12-04-2007, 23:30
While you are making your little movie, don't forget to mention the real heros of the Appalachian Trail. I am talking about the trail maintainers up and down the trail, and the people who have dedicated their lives to the trail and it's hikers..ie..Bob Peoples, Miss Janet, and many others who spend countless hours taking care of our azzes. Just my opinion:D

Excellent idea!

Chaco Taco
12-04-2007, 23:36
Wow this could be cool!
See ya at the Ruck

Sly, Rock you guys going to Springer for NYE???

Just Jim

Videographer
12-04-2007, 23:40

Just Jim

No doubt about it. That is one of the things that interests me in the AT; how it is sustained through extensive volunteer work.

A-Train
12-04-2007, 23:42
Videographer,

Welcome! Hope the film goes well. You might start by checking out the many AT movies that have been released in the last couple years including: Trek, Southbounders, Appalachian Impressions, 2000 miles to Maine and Walking with Freedom. There is an over abundance of trail movies and books. Definately take a unique angle and realize it's a pretty small niche of people interested in this topic.

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 09:43
Wow this could be cool!
See ya at the Ruck

Probably not. But who knows.

Videographer,

Welcome! Hope the film goes well. You might start by checking out the many AT movies that have been released in the last couple years including: Trek, Southbounders, Appalachian Impressions, 2000 miles to Maine and Walking with Freedom. There is an over abundance of trail movies and books. Definately take a unique angle and realize it's a pretty small niche of people interested in this topic.
Good point. There are a bunch of DVDs coming out these days, some better than others. It would be a shame if all DVDs about the trail start turning out the same like most of the Journals about the AT start looking alike.

LIhikers
12-05-2007, 14:33
Somebody give Just a Hiker a pat on the back and a Snickers bar for remembering that there's more, much more, to the trail than just hikers.

Sly
12-05-2007, 15:03

After getting soaked to the bone last year, only if the weather predicted in the 60's

Videographer
12-05-2007, 18:39
Videographer,

I own Appalachian Impressions, and I have seen tidbits of Trek and Walking with Freedom. I really want to see 2000 miles to Maine. That sounds like an interesting film. I also live right down the street from David Miller, the guy who wrote Awol on the Appalachian Trail. Great book.

Montego
12-05-2007, 18:48
Hope you find the insights you seek VIDEOGRPAHER :welcome

Kirby
12-05-2007, 18:49
Good luck with your film, check out the class of 2008 forum to find a concentration of people who will be out there next year.

Kirby

Kirby
12-05-2007, 19:13
Good luck with your film, check out the class of 2008 forum to find a concentration of people who will be out there next year.

Kirby

Forget this, I thought this thread was started in the General forum.

Kirby

maxNcathy
12-05-2007, 19:29
Videographer,

Welcome here and best wishes doing this video.
I will buy it to go with my other dvds of the AT

Make it long. Long enough so it is relaxing to watch..not all chopped up into a million super quick sound bytes of quick flashes of scenery.Get lots of closeups of gear and gets lots of real conversations with hikers and other hostel operaters and outfitters along the trail. Try to make it educational to someone thinking about getting the right gear for a hike of the trail.Get pictures of hikers setting up their tents/hammocks in the rain.Get sounds at night in the shelters.Stay away from hyped up cheesy music in the background.Get lots of closeups of the pretty hikers!
Make it long and relaxing and real and ....GOOD LUCK
What will you call your video?
I will buy your video if it comes for sale for certain if it is half decent.
See you on the trail in 2008
Sandalwood

Videographer
12-05-2007, 21:59
Wow, thanks for all of the advice. Much appreciated. Keep it coming if you have more.

Jason

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2007, 10:11
Is this a human interest documentary, or a how to video, or is there a story or angle being pursued? Sounds like a very interesting project. Good luck with it.

Depending upon the focus of the you might consider a cam at the start of the approach trail in Amicolola Falls park and another at Springer Mountain shelter for a few days. Depending upon when you do it, if the USFS roads are open you can probably tape in the am at the AF approach and beat the same hikers up to Springer or Stover Creek shelters for post day one footage. Could provide some very entertaining before and after observations of prospective thru-hikers after day one.

Also not to be missed would be Trail Days in Damascus, VA (May 16, 17, 18), and perhaps the ALDHA gathering in the fall or one of the Rucks(get togethers like SoRuck later this winter) Of course you'll want to balance the carnival start and Trail Days with some glimpses of real daily life in "the long green tunnel": some wonderful cool but sunny days and campfire nights balanced out by the hungry, cold, hot, wet, dry, blistered feet, sick, injured, and more days. Some footage of ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry, WV would probably be obligatory somewhere in the video.

Katadin would be a fitting setting for the end of a video just as it is for a NOBO thru-hiker. Some footage of a Katadin climb, some in the Mahoosucs(ME), and in the White Mountains(especially if you can get a good windy day on Mt Washington) could be very dramatic.

longwe tru
12-06-2007, 11:37
Hello I would like to learn more about your film project and I...Like everyone who would endeavor to hike 2000 miles have an interesting story to tell. Hope to see you at the Ruck. I am going to join the class of 2008

Longwe tru

StarLyte
12-06-2007, 12:10
You are welcome to the PA Ruck as well.

You can email me at
[email protected]

with any questions regarding accommodations, etc.

Same venue, itinerary, different locale.

Videographer
12-06-2007, 19:19
Is this a human interest documentary, or a how to video, or is there a story or angle being pursued? Sounds like a very interesting project. Good luck with it.

Depending upon the focus of the you might consider a cam at the start of the approach trail in Amicolola Falls park and another at Springer Mountain shelter for a few days. Depending upon when you do it, if the USFS roads are open you can probably tape in the am at the AF approach and beat the same hikers up to Springer or Stover Creek shelters for post day one footage. Could provide some very entertaining before and after observations of prospective thru-hikers after day one.

Also not to be missed would be Trail Days in Damascus, VA (May 16, 17, 18), and perhaps the ALDHA gathering in the fall or one of the Rucks(get togethers like SoRuck later this winter) Of course you'll want to balance the carnival start and Trail Days with some glimpses of real daily life in "the long green tunnel": some wonderful cool but sunny days and campfire nights balanced out by the hungry, cold, hot, wet, dry, blistered feet, sick, injured, and more days. Some footage of ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry, WV would probably be obligatory somewhere in the video.

Katadin would be a fitting setting for the end of a video just as it is for a NOBO thru-hiker. Some footage of a Katadin climb, some in the Mahoosucs(ME), and in the White Mountains(especially if you can get a good windy day on Mt Washington) could be very dramatic.

Hey thanks for all the advice. I am definitely going to try and make it out to all of those locations and more. Hopefully I can come up with the bank roll for those logistics!! Pretty insane.

And it is not a how to video. It is going to be vérité style.

Jason

V8
12-07-2007, 06:42
What Sandalwood said - relaxing, not all choppy.
And maintainers - talk with MATC folks (Maine Appalachian Trail Club), for starters - put more out there about how trail clubs work and what trail work is really like would go a long way toward reducing the grousing about conditions and increasing the labor and $ contributions to same!

Chainsaw 08
12-07-2007, 13:40
I don't know what kind of people you're looking for, but since I'm one of the propestive thrus closest to you geographically, I'll give you my story and motivation. (and because it's pretty simple.)

I first heard about the trail at age 12, and resolved to someday hike it. 25 years later, it's now or never. I'm a complete novice hiker, hoping for one grand adventure to convince myself that I'm something other than just a lazy shlub.

whykickamoocow
12-07-2007, 20:59
Feel free to use me in your documentary, I am a star in the making. Plus I am cute, and that makes me very photogenic, the camera loves me.

I am from Australia and shall be starting my traverse of the AT on the 24th of March

Kirby
12-07-2007, 23:35
Feel free to use me in your documentary, I am a star in the making. Plus I am cute, and that makes me very photogenic, the camera loves me.

I am from Australia and shall be starting my traverse of the AT on the 24th of March

Someone loves the spotlight;). :rolleyes:

Kirby

The Mechanical Man
12-08-2007, 00:00
:welcome Your film would not be complete without a visit to Linda and John's Blue Mountain Dome Home here at Smith Gap Pa. - see your Companion, or Thru-hikers handbook for our listing and more information about us.
We help support the Ridgerunner program in our area, I am also a volunteer trail club maintainer, and have a new spring trail named after me.
We have assisted many hikers in the past 18 years, ....Ed Garvey and "Wingfoot" slept at my house, and Earl Shaffer ate dinner at my table in 1998.
Give me a shout if you are interested in stopping for a visit?

Videographer
12-08-2007, 00:33
:welcome Your film would not be complete without a visit to Linda and John's Blue Mountain Dome Home here at Smith Gap Pa. - see your Companion, or Thru-hikers handbook for our listing and more information about us.
We help support the Ridgerunner program in our area, I am also a volunteer trail club maintainer, and have a new spring trail named after me.
We have assisted many hikers in the past 18 years, ....Ed Garvey and "Wingfoot" slept at my house, and Earl Shaffer ate dinner at my table in 1998.
Give me a shout if you are interested in stopping for a visit?

Sounds great!!

The Mechanical Man
12-08-2007, 00:51
And it's not just because we love the spotlight..........we have some REAL trail stories coming from our home that many a hiker has enjoyed visiting.
I just sent you an email with some pictures and more information, go get it.
We will sure have some good AT stories to share with you, past and present!!!

The Appalachian Trail has been my life since 1984, .........I can't even get away from it while I am on vacation. hehe

How about it folks?? Anybody remember visiting Linda and John's Blue Mountain Dome on YOUR hike?????:welcome

Videographer
12-08-2007, 22:03
I don't know what kind of people you're looking for, but since I'm one of the propestive thrus closest to you geographically, I'll give you my story and motivation. (and because it's pretty simple.)

I first heard about the trail at age 12, and resolved to someday hike it. 25 years later, it's now or never. I'm a complete novice hiker, hoping for one grand adventure to convince myself that I'm something other than just a lazy shlub.

Yeah I would love to talk to anyone who is in the Florida area and who is planning a thru-hike. For everyone out there, please contact me if you are in Florida or Georgia, you are planning to thru-hike, and you are interesting in being involved in my documentary.

Kerby
12-09-2007, 18:14
And it's not just because we love the spotlight..........we have some REAL trail stories coming from our home that many a hiker has enjoyed visiting.
I just sent you an email with some pictures and more information, go get it.
We will sure have some good AT stories to share with you, past and present!!!

The Appalachian Trail has been my life since 1984, .........I can't even get away from it while I am on vacation. hehe

How about it folks?? Anybody remember visiting Linda and John's Blue Mountain Dome on YOUR hike?????:welcome

no, but I will make a point of it on my hike.

Vidioguy! don't forgret to highlight some of the different philosephys of hiking. Through hikes, section hikers, ultralighters, ect.

Johnny Thunder
12-10-2007, 10:08
Come follow me. I'm purdy.

The Mechanical Man
12-14-2007, 02:31
Hey Kirby, are you really going to have time to stop and see Linda and John at the Blue Mountain Dome? :welcome

partinj
12-14-2007, 14:40
Ok i look for this film call Trek have not been able to find it who make it and what year was it made in also is trek the full name of it. Thank

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2007, 14:51
Ok i look for this film call Trek have not been able to find it who make it and what year was it made in also is trek the full name of it. Thank

http://www.amazon.com/Trek-Journey-Appalachian-Trail/dp/B0001CWH4E

Kerby
12-14-2007, 16:00
Hey Kirby, are you really going to have time to stop and see Linda and John at the Blue Mountain Dome? :welcome

Well, things are still a bit up in the air, but I should have a pritty loose scedual...So I will plan on trying.

Is that a good enough definate maybee?

The Mechanical Man
12-14-2007, 16:05
Pa. is a long way from Springer,...................Good Luck

swift
12-14-2007, 16:06
I own Appalachian Impressions, and I have seen tidbits of Trek and Walking with Freedom. I really want to see 2000 miles to Maine. That sounds like an interesting film. I also live right down the street from David Miller, the guy who wrote Awol on the Appalachian Trail. Great book.

Jason, I have a copy of 2000 miles to Maine and I live right down the road in Vero Beach. You are welcome to borrow it

swift

Think Spring
12-14-2007, 18:56
:) :welcome In your opening remarks I believe you addressed the issue of "motivation" for one's "thru hike" of the AT. You will find in all probability a large number of northbound hiker's in March through May all dreaming of a finish at Katahdin. No doubt some will be like me,....wanting for several year's to do the journey, and finally being able to do so thanks, in part, to "retirement" from the "full time work" responsibilities. I believe "Jumpstart" was one such hiker, as will I, beginning in early March, headed north.

Videographer
12-15-2007, 11:08
Jason, I have a copy of 2000 miles to Maine and I live right down the road in Vero Beach. You are welcome to borrow it

swift

Hey I am going to take you up on that. Thanks!

trailfoot
12-17-2007, 19:13
Videographer,

Try to make it educational to someone thinking about getting the right gear for a hike of the trail.Get pictures of hikers setting up their tents/hammocks in the rain.
Sandalwood

Maybe visit Walasi-Yi Center (WYC) and see what the WYC is recommending thruhikers change up in their pack. How about a little snipit on adjusting your pack. it's amazing how many hikers need their pack adjusted.

I would image that the first couple days on the trail would be some pretty funny stuff. First time some are using the restroom outdoors, first time some are using their stoves, first time some are setting up their tents/hammocks, and lots of other firsts.

Hope that's helpful.

ChinMusic
12-17-2007, 19:37
Now if they could only perfect Smellavision....

Kirby
12-17-2007, 20:10
You should definitely plan to spend a couple of days on trail in Georgia, before Neels Gap, during thru hiker season, I imagine you would see some interesting things.

Kirby