PDA

View Full Version : frog toggs vs. high-end gore tex blah blah

rob123ufl
12-05-2007, 03:33
so the only gear i have yet to acquire for the upcoming thru-attempt is kitchen materials and the rain gear.

i've heard people rave about frog-toggs, but how would they match up to a nice gore-tex shell (say mountain hardwear or patagonia etc)? Do i want something that is gonna be snug, as a shell would likely be, or something loose like a poncho? what works best under a pack? Do the frog-toggs ever get snagged by branches and whatnot (basically, are they durable etc)?

I know rain is the constant bane of many hikers existences, but I want to learn to love the rain. I don't think ill love it if im dying of hypothermia, but i could learn if i were dry in my tent listening to it pitter patter.

EWS
12-05-2007, 03:46
1/10th the cost and for walking not a lot of difference.

The Old Fhart
12-05-2007, 08:56
EWS-"1/10th the cost and for walking not a lot of difference."Don't forget Frogg Toggs are generally lighter at about 11 ounces for top and bottom.

take-a-knee
12-05-2007, 09:20
Add a quick-dry (supplex) ball cap to your kit. In a cold rain with the hood up the cap's brim will keep the rain off your face and keep some of it from running down your neck.

baxter
12-05-2007, 09:31
I like my Frogg Toggs, I worried about the durability of them for my upcoming thru-hike, but I met a SOBO last winter at Muskrat Shelter last winter. After 2000 miles they were still on him, but they DID look like they had 2000 miles on them! I guess I'll see, one way or another.

Lyle
12-05-2007, 10:06
Frogg Toggs for all the reasons already mentioned. Even if they don't make it the entire way, you could replace them half-way, and still come out cheaper. Duct tape repairs work well for the occasional snag. Like any light weight gear, you have to treat them with some respect for their weight and not abuse 'em, some care is in order.

The Old Fhart
12-05-2007, 10:12
I also like that they get a little 'fuzzy' and softer after several wash and wear cycles and don't feel clammy against the skin like some nylon fabrics.

Blissful
12-05-2007, 10:27
You get what you pay for. The Frogg togg fabric pills, are hot (but most gear is anyway) and Paul Bunyan ripped out his pants the second time he wore them. He actually went to carrying a golite umbrella and loved it.

I used my precip jacket and did fine with that. Used rain pants for camp in the beginning and end of the hike.

Tipi Walter
12-05-2007, 10:56
After doing a price comparsion, I can see why most people recommend the Toggs, since $60 for a set is a bunch less than the $400 it would cost to get a good set of GTX pants and jacket. It took me 23 years to finally afford a good GTX rain jacket, I wanted something in Paclite or ripstop with zippered pockets, a strong drawcord hood, velcroed sleeves, zippered armpits, and the longevity of 8-10 years of once-a-month weeklong-plus backpacking trips. I didn't think the Toggs could measure up. So I settled for a Marmot. The Arcteryx rain gear also looks to be beefy, well-thought out and top-of-the-line.

Spock
12-05-2007, 11:01
You do NOT get what you pay for with waterproof/breathable rain gear. FroggToggs and DriDucks may not seem durable, but I've had both last a thru-hike and still be servicable.

DriDucks breath significantly better than any other W/B in independent tests. I use them for bug protection in hot weather. You can't beat that.

Kerosene
12-05-2007, 11:46
If money is tight, then I'd suggest the Frogg Toggs. If money is no object, then take a look at the Integral Designs Thru-hiker eVent Rain Jacket (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1517). You can actually hike at a moderate pace without getting drenched in your sweat, at least in temperatures below 60F. Weighs more than a Frogg Toggs jacket, and you might want to go up a size if you're on the border.

Ewker
12-05-2007, 11:47
I finally had to buy my 2nd set of Frogg Toggs. My first set lasted 3-4 yrs. The pants are like new since I barely wore them. You can buy a complete Frogg Toggs outfit for 30.00 if you search the net. That is half the cost of a Precip jacket

DavidNH
12-05-2007, 12:23
I wore frogt toggs on my hike and wouldn't do so again.

Yes they are light at about 12 oz for both jacket and pants. Hower, the pants have no side zips ( (or maybe just very short side zips) so I could not put on without taking my boots off. I didnot even bring the pants on my trip.

As for the jacket..it wears thin, and if it is warm at all..you sweat as much as goretex does.

Furethermore, in all day rain the water soaked through. But there is a point where nothing will help! In a four day flood in pennsylvania..the rain soaked through everything..cheepo frog togg rain jacket, more pricy gore tex pants, my pack cover. About the only thing that really held its own was my waterproof sleeping bag stuff sack. So I had a nice DRY down bag!

My advice..in summer at least..line pack with one or even two very waterproof trash bags and wear quick dry clothing. Rain gear is good when it gets chilly.

David

David
In some I am very unimpressed.

Lyle
12-05-2007, 13:07
So David, not trying to argue, but why wouldn't you bring them again? You admit:

1) Frogg Toggs are lighter and cheaper.

2) That both Frogg Toggs and GoreTex would wet through in an all-day rain.

3) You didn't carry the pants, so even tho the lack of a zipper is a valid complaint if you wear boots, it wasn't an issue on your thru. I've used them with trail runners and had no problems getting them on or off when needed.

4) You will sweat in either Frogg Toggs or Gore Tex

Guess I'm not seeing the reasoning for not carrying them if you did it again.

I agree about good protection for bag and warm clothes, summer showers usually feel good.

ScottP
12-05-2007, 14:13
Check out o2 rainwear--a cheaper, lighter version of frogg toggs

I would definately use o2 rainwear on the AT until may, and then switchc out to just a montbell windshirt for the summer months. frogg togg type raingear is fragile, but it's cheap and will be plenty for the AT.

To my knowledge the lighest gore-tex is OR's zealot at 7.7 oz

Alligator
12-05-2007, 15:42
I've got both, a heavier shell and pants (Goretex top + slightly less breathable bottom) and Frogg Toggs. I take the Frogg Toggs for 3 seasons and even occasionally in the winter.

I can get my size 10 full grain leather boots through the pants. Granted, it's a tight squeeze and I never yank them through, plus this only happens when I take them on a winter trip. If you have big feet and wear boots a lot it could be a consideration. And maybe the smaller sizes have a smaller leg opening.

Most folks tend to report Toggs as baggy.

I've got a weight of 16 ounces for my set but it is several years old:confused: . I may need to reweigh.

Peaks
12-05-2007, 18:28
Like every other piece of gear, there are pluses and minuses with each.

Frogg Toggs are light and cheap, but not all that durable.

My solution: Precip jacket and frogg togg rain pants. In summer, it's the only long pants that I carry.

Furlough
12-06-2007, 09:26
Add a quick-dry (supplex) ball cap to your kit. In a cold rain with the hood up the cap's brim will keep the rain off your face and keep some of it from running down your neck.

If you order direct from Frogg Toggs right now they throw in a complimentary woodland patterened ball cap. Just received my toggs and hat yesterday.

Furlough

nitewalker
12-06-2007, 10:15
quick thought on rain gear. i have always found no matter what rain gear i use , if im out long enough in the rain and am hiking at a decent pace i always end up wet. why because under that great rain jacket it gets sweaty almost all the time. try to hike slow, so that you dont sweat is like trying to stay awake when tired. its just not going to happen. im not sure if im the only one this happens to but it seems to always happen... the sweat under the jacket and the rain outside the jacket always become one and render the jacket useless. i find alot of the jackets[rain gear] just dont breath well enough to stop sweating. maybe i just hike to fast all the time...oh well does anyone else encounter this problem with staying dry???peace , nitewalker

Johnny Swank
12-06-2007, 10:27
I've largely given up on WB/Breathable raingear expect in winter. If you're hiking, you're going to get wet, either from sweat or gear soaking through or wicking. I'd rather just stew in my own juices and take a simple silnylon jacket and pants. Total weight's about 6 oz, packs to the size of a softball, and more durable than the Toggs.

Of course, I'd advocate starting no earlier than April 1-15 and largely avoid the winter hiking, but that's another discussion altogether.

nitewalker
12-06-2007, 10:32
if you really want to stay dry a pvc poncho is the way top go..may not breath as well but it will keep the rain off....

tritonl
12-06-2007, 18:41
If you live near an REI they have an event called the "Garage Sale" and you can get awesome gear for cheap. It's all the returns and flawed merchandise. I got lucky a few times, got a 230$ rain jacket for 40$ because it was missing a draw cord in the hood.

HiAtop
11-30-2009, 09:34
For the money frogg toggs are the only rain gear for me... they are very light weight and breathable.... The stand behind them too! They actually guarantee them 100 percent waterproof. http://froggtoggsraingear.com (http://froggtoggsraingear.com/)

CowHead
11-30-2009, 09:57
Thats all I have is the frogg they work great who needs the bla bla anyway

Chance09
11-30-2009, 12:04
I would go with Frog Toggs all the way. I used them on my thru hike this year and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I only had three problems with them:

1. that my first backpack rubbed a spot in the back a bit and took most of the black stuff off in one place, so i covered it with duck tape and was fine. This stopped happening once i got a new backpack.

2. With the hood on it pulled down on my neck quite a bit making it uncomfortable so most of the time i didn't hike with it on, which was fine.

3. My pants ripped in the croch which i fixed easily with some dental floss.

Blue Jay
11-30-2009, 12:05
The problem is not wet/dry, you'll be wet from either rain or sweat. I prefer rain, less salt. The problem is cold/comfortable. Wear enough synthetic material that keeps you warm but not hot. As I said you'll be wet anyway, but if you're comfortable who cares. Keep a dry set of clothing for camp and you're good to go. Rain is not a problem but an advantage, once you accept it as part of trial life. Colors are brighter, it knocks the bugs down, your smell and sounds are masked so you see many more animals, most pesky humans have skampered away and many other advantages.

JAK
11-30-2009, 14:22
The most important thing for me is packability. Next is the tradeoff between waterproofness and breathability. Because I wear wool underneath, it's easy to deal with some shortcomings either way. Packability is the main thing. Second to that would be the right fit, and the right features, which for me is keeping it simple mostly. Some sort of half-zip. Hood is good. Elastic cuffs. Right length. Adjustable elastic at bottom.
Light weight tends to follow packability. Durability is sometimes worth paying a little extra for.

dmax
11-30-2009, 14:41
I don't know if they are still on sale, but on Friday I got the jacket, pants and a hat for $29 from Bass Pro Shop.

volleypc
11-30-2009, 16:54
The frog toggs jacket worked fine for me. The zipper broke somewhere along the trail and I just duck taped it from the inside and used it as a pullover. The pants were worthless. They ripped rather quickly but that was fine. Unless it is cold I do not wear rain pants. In the end I just went with an oversized poncho and used parachute chord around the waist to keep it from blowing around during high winds. It worked great for keeping me dry and with breathability.

Grits
04-12-2012, 06:46
I am looking at the ZPack Cuben Fiber breathable Jacket it is 4.5 oz. :banana

rockerZ71
04-12-2012, 08:45
I think y'all are talking about some of the cheaper frog toggs products. I got a $60 frog toggs "toad skins" rain jacket at bass pro that I can't imagine wearing out anywhere near as quickly as the softer feeling ones

Runsalone
07-19-2012, 20:57

This...bigtime! the hood sucks.