PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Wesser in April - NOBO or SOBO?

astrogirl
12-05-2007, 17:38
The drive down south is getting REAAAAALY long for me, so I've decided to finish the southern piece of the trail next spring, tentatively in April.

Obviously, the class of 2008 will be all over that bit of trail.

If it were up to you, would you go NOBO or SOBO? I have no real preference. I've often thought it would be fun to leave with some thru-hikers, but then when I really think that through...I don't know. I like to camp with people, but I really prefer to hike alone.

I can go earlier, but I need to be here for my husband's birthday on April 6. I'm cold tolerant and not heat tolerant, so advice to go earlier will be seriously considered.

Thanks for your input!

Summit
12-05-2007, 18:04
I've done that hike 3 times, twice SOBO and once NOBO, once in middle summer, and twice in fall. You've got very difficult climbs starting out from either end so that's a non-issue. SOBO would accomplish what you've suggested, and that's going against the flow of hikers and not having to speed up / slow down to put distance between other hikers. Also finishing at the Southern terminus of the AT (Springer Mt.) is more significant feeling than somewhere in the middle. Starting after April 6 should be some real nice cool weather, typically, but last year I was in the Albert Mt. area the first weekend in April and it went down into the single digits a couple of nights, but that's way unusual. Just be prepared! ;)

max patch
12-05-2007, 18:14
It doesn't make any difference hikingwise, but if, as you say, you like to camp with people, then the choice basically is between camping with different people every nite (SOBO) or camping with a mixture of some of same people every nite (NOBO) alongwith some new people every nite.

pitdog
12-05-2007, 18:42
Both ways are awsome to hike,and the sunrise from wesser is breathtaking.Although,I would never stealth camp there.

astrogirl
12-05-2007, 22:24
Both ways are awsome to hike,and the sunrise from wesser is breathtaking.Although,I would never stealth camp there.

I camped on Cheoah Bald last year, and got a gorgeous sunset.

astrogirl
12-05-2007, 22:25
It doesn't make any difference hikingwise, but if, as you say, you like to camp with people, then the choice basically is between camping with different people every nite (SOBO) or camping with a mixture of some of same people every nite (NOBO) alongwith some new people every nite.

Yeah, I guess I can't make up my mind about it. I am drifting towards SOBO though. I think. :D