Lon Bellamy
12-05-2007, 19:12
Just one more poll.

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 19:12
I think you messed up on something.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 19:20
So my answer to the mystery question is yes I was saddened that her hostel closed and would be very happy to volunteer my time to help in anyway with the new one!!

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 19:21
And the mystery question is now up...

Yes.

Lon Bellamy
12-05-2007, 19:21
I hope these are showing up correctly. I am trying to fiqure out your web site as I go along.

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 19:22
I've never seen a poll delay opening up like that.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 19:26
I'd be interested in the hiking center but maybe not in those particular functions. There could be so much more it could be used for.

Jack Tarlin
12-05-2007, 19:37
You left something out in your poll:

In addition to attending lectures, workshops, or seminars at the planned Erwin Hiking Center, some of us might be interested in leading them, as well.

In mycase, for free.

Hooch
12-05-2007, 19:46
Jack, I would happily listen to about any course you taught as long as it didn't involve sleeping on the ground. :D

Ron Haven
12-05-2007, 19:55
Just one more poll.Lon is she going to get it?

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 19:57
I've talked to Ms Janet about helping to set up some sort of training program. I think there are many here that would help to set up some sort of system like that. I also think that there are some of us that may be interested in doing classes or presentations in this sort of setting that would be interested in a service provider that already has accomodations and services available for rent.

StarLyte
12-05-2007, 20:02
You forgot to list this in the poll:

___ I would be interesting in cooking and feeding hikers at the center :D

StarLyte
12-05-2007, 20:03
Jack, I would happily listen to about any course you taught as long as it didn't involve sleeping on the ground. :D

I would listen to Jack speak about any thing. Hiking related or not.

Excellent speaker. :sun

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 20:03
You forgot to list this in the poll:

___ I would be interesting in cooking and feeding hikers at the center :D
How do you decide which hikers to cook and which hikers to feed?:p

Smile
12-05-2007, 20:05
Chuck Norris is in charge of that committee :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-05-2007, 20:06
Miss Janet is wonderful - everyone who's met her knows this. She is a highly respected member of the hiking community and any hiker-related business she opens will have patrons.

StarLyte
12-05-2007, 20:06
How do you decide which hikers to cook and which hikers to feed?:p

HA HA :eek:

You know, after you turn 50 the mind goes...and it's a terrible thang.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 20:09
HA HA :eek:

You know, after you turn 50 the mind goes...and it's a terrible thang.
:) :) :) . . . . .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-05-2007, 20:13
::: Very meaty Dino hides from StarLyte :D :::

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 20:17
::: Very meaty Dino hides from StarLyte :D :::
You should be safe. I'm sure Dinos are protected under the endagered species act. Hikers? Apparently not so much.:p :D

orangebug
12-05-2007, 21:23
I'm not so sure about this question. If Miss Janet broadens her business to more than a hostel and hiker services (opens a gear shop?), will she dilute her energy and dilute her product?

Given prior zoning issues, would this idea only raise more hassles for her to resolve?

I just dunno.

warraghiyagey
12-05-2007, 22:16
Good question.

Lilred
12-05-2007, 22:42
I'm not so sure about this question. If Miss Janet broadens her business to more than a hostel and hiker services (opens a gear shop?), will she dilute her energy and dilute her product?

Given prior zoning issues, would this idea only raise more hassles for her to resolve?

I just dunno.

Not if she schedules the workshops during the hiking off season. Sorta on the lines of what Elmer does in Hot Springs. That way, there'll be year round business. As far as a gear shop, she won't need to as long as she provides the shuttle service. Although, something on a small scale would be great.

As far as the workshops go, I would definately pay for one that interested me. Perhaps one on how to use a compass and map. One on wilderness first aid, how to set a splint, stop bleeding, aid someone with hypothermia. Maybe go out on weekend trips and practice these things. The possibilities seem endless.

Good Luck Ms. Janet, hoping to hear of your new place soon.

Miss Janet
12-06-2007, 00:42

I just dunno.

I worry about some of this, too. I really don't want to be much more than just a hostel. That is where my heart is. So, I don't want to lose that. Most of the services I plan are things I already do or see a need for. I have services I would like to add... but mostly in the off Thruhiker seasons. Some of these components I hope other experienced people will be helping out with:) But no real gear shop is planned. Unless, somebody convinces me to let them set up a seasonal store.

The thing I have to keep in mind is that I have to make a living doing this or I can't do it. PERIOD. In order to do that I need to increase the number of nights I have "heads in beds"... an old hotel term. I am looking forward to hosting special interest groups, youth groups, scouts, etc. I think I will take most of the workshops myself! Maybe I will learn something!

Of course, you knew I was selling the house and moving the business to another location, didn't you? I am working with the city and the other liscense agents in my property search to try to cut out most of the problems I had in the past. The main thing I have to have is more ROOM. If I want to do anything I will have to have options and a little more inside and outside space = options.

I have told people that I have a "Hostel in a Box"... a 10 x 20 storage box. I have everything I need to be back up and running in a new location in a few days... or weeks... I certainly want to keep what has worked for Miss Janet's House. It has really been very good! If Miss Janet's House is now a product, I like it pretty much the way it has been. But now is the logical time to take care of things that I haven't been happy with.

Gaiter
12-06-2007, 01:31
does said workshops and classes include breakfast?

ScottP
12-06-2007, 02:41
"I'm not so sure about this question. If Miss Janet broadens her business to more than a hostel and hiker services (opens a gear shop?), will she dilute her energy and dilute her product?

I just dunno."

I can't imagine Ms. Janet being diluted by anything

ATSeamstress
12-06-2007, 03:07
I certainly want to keep what has worked for Miss Janet's House.

The special hot chocolate and pumpkin muffins worked for me.

pipesmoke
12-06-2007, 07:33
A point that should be obvious, but not mentioned, is the "Trail Center" needs to show a profit (you remember that money stuff). All the volunteer help is great but it don't pay the bills!!!Count me in with helping but not paying (time I got).

AT-HITMAN2005
12-06-2007, 07:55
she could always go with a gear shop like shaw's has?/had. just basic things like socks, fuel, etc.

Hooch
12-06-2007, 07:55
I don't know if anyone is interested, but one thing I think that everyone should know is CPR. As a medical professional and CPR instructor, I'd be happy to occasionally come to Erwin and teach CPR classes at Miss Janet's if anyone was interested.

SGT Rock
12-06-2007, 08:38
I was thinking of classes like Tha Wookies Survival classes. If he wanted a place he could go to teach them like Ms Janet's if she had space available and was closer to the trail or could provide transport to the trail for part of the class days.

I'm also thinking about classes like Warren Doyles class - that sort of thing could be done at a place like Ms Janets as well.

I've also had some inquiries from folks that wanted to know if I would ever be willing to give some classes on things. I figured once retired it might be possible.

So in the end, what I think is if Ms Janet offered some workshops during her low guest months and made some sort of facilities available for others that could teach classes during other times - then it could be something that would give the hostel some life outside of thru-hiker season.

Puppy
12-06-2007, 08:44
I wanted to vote that I might be interested in a class, but I hit the wrong button (I think it came up not interested)..... can you change that vote so it says might want to take one ?

SGT Rock
12-06-2007, 08:56
I can change that.

ScottP
12-06-2007, 15:13
Winter workshops could be great excuses for hiker get togethers.

Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, etc. time gatherings (not on the actual holiday, but around the same time) could also fill up the hostel for a weekend each gathering.

How many people that have hiked in the past would be interested in taking sigificant others/friends/family to Ms. Janet's for a vacation over the winter to show them what it's all about? Are there any ski areas or anything to do over the winter within shuttling distance of Ms. Janet's? Snowshoe rental from Ms Janet? A private room or two at the new place might help this cause.

How does the Cabin make it work? They have a much shorter season than Erwin. Is it just bankrolled by thier retirement fund?

Blissful
12-06-2007, 15:20
I don't know if anyone is interested, but one thing I think that everyone should know is CPR. As a medical professional and CPR instructor, I'd be happy to occasionally come to Erwin and teach CPR classes at Miss Janet's if anyone was interested.

Also just general First Aid for the backpacker along with CPR. Including tick care (lots of hikers had lyme disease this past season). And yes, what to do about rattlers (there's a lot out there)

Kirby
12-06-2007, 20:31
Miss Janet:
Do you think you will be open for the 2008 season?

Kirby

Nearly Normal
12-07-2007, 07:14
By the time a hiker makes it that far what kind of workshops would they need?
I can see a small selection of the most wanted or needed gear for sale.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2007, 07:23
By the time a hiker makes it that far what kind of workshops would they need? I can see a small selection of the most wanted or needed gear for sale.The classes wouldn't be so much for thru-hikers as for those planning to thru or section and for those keeping skills current (CPR certification requires refresher courses, for example)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 07:30
The classes wouldn't be so much for thru-hikers as for those planning to thru or section and for those keeping skills current (CPR certification requires refresher courses, for example)

And I would think that many who hear about Miss Janet when researching a thru-hike online would be attracted to this type of service at her hostel. One would get the hostel experience as well as the desired training, not to mention the hospitality of Miss Janet that everyone raves about.

Lon Bellamy
12-07-2007, 21:15
Thank you for your time to do the polls and for your comments. This information will be very helpful.

One note about this poll:

I understand that Miss Janet's House has not conducted workshops before and that this would be a new service offered. The new facility would have the appropriate space and environment for the new service.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:25
Thank you for your time to do the polls and for your comments. This information will be very helpful.

One note about this poll:

I understand that Miss Janet's House has not conducted workshops before and that this would be a new service offered. The new facility would have the appropriate space and environment for the new service.
Nice work Lon. I'm sure there's many WBer's and probably twentyfold otherwise (and a thousandfold yet to find their way to the trail) who are hoping to see Miss Janet in her most familiar surrounding again, caring for hikers. I know, having never met her, that I am counting on that as part of the trail experience, and i'm drawn by the stories of hospitality in a place i've yet to see, from a lady called Miss Janet.

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 11:47
Nice work Lon. I'm sure there's many WBer's and probably twentyfold otherwise (and a thousandfold yet to find their way to the trail) who are hoping to see Miss Janet in her most familiar surrounding again, caring for hikers. I know, having never met her, that I am counting on that as part of the trail experience, and i'm drawn by the stories of hospitality in a place i've yet to see, from a lady called Miss Janet.

And I am pretty sure I have outgrown BLUSHING! I appreciate your words of kindness! I look forward to meeting you when you hike through!

SGT Rock
12-11-2007, 18:18
Poll closed by request