PDA

View Full Version : How many days Bly Gap to Springer

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 20:34
Im thinking of doing Bly Gap to Springer for my NY celebration. How long should I plan on. Im starting the morning of Dec 26 and want to reach Springer by the 31st to meet up with everyone that will be at the shelter. What do you guys think??

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 20:36
Im thinking of doing Bly Gap to Springer for my NY celebration. How long should I plan on. Im starting the morning of Dec 26 and want to reach Springer by the 31st to meet up with everyone that will be at the shelter. What do you guys think??

It's doable.

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 20:36
Well Bly Gap doesn't have road access. You have to go in north of it or south of it. But from Bly Gap, depending on how fast you hike, I would give yourself about 5 days to a week.

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 20:37
You realize there's no road access at Bly Gap?

Oops! Cross posted with Rock.

whitefoot_hp
12-05-2007, 20:41
should only take a day.

Jack Tarlin
12-05-2007, 20:42
It's doable, but it'd be considered good time. Most folks take 6-7 days to do Georgia (i.e. Springer to Bly); you'd be making fast time, plus, as mentioned, you gotta get to Bly to start.

I'd get there the night of the 25th if I were you, or I'd start at Dick's Creek the morning of the 26th.

Good news is your easiest days will be the last two into Springer, so plan on big miles at the end of your trip.

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 20:45
Just realized when looking at my map. Where is a good access point, Hiawassee? I guess that seems easy. But if I tried to go in at Deep Gap is that realistic??I usually do about 13-14 a day when its cold. I am a faster hiker in the cold.

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 20:48
Hmmm, there is an idea. Dick's Creek is where I am looking and seems like I can do 6 days especially with those days going into Springer. Screw it, Ill go for it.

It's doable, but it'd be considered good time. Most folks take 6-7 days to do Georgia (i.e. Springer to Bly); you'd be making fast time, plus, as mentioned, you gotta get to Bly to start.

I'd get there the night of the 25th if I were you, or I'd start at Dick's Creek the morning of the 26th.

Good news is your easiest days will be the last two into Springer, so plan on big miles at the end of your trip.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2007, 20:49

start at dick's creek gap.

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 20:49
Dick's Creek is a good place to start with your time frame and mileage estimates.

Jack Tarlin
12-05-2007, 20:50
If you can start out and maintain 13 plus a day, you'll be fine.

Otherwise, I'd go for Dick's Creek (Hiawassee) and aim for Springer on the evening of the 31st.

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 21:10
So im gonna do the Dick's creek option. Thanks everyone. Really hope I meet some of you all up on Springer on NYE.

Marta
12-05-2007, 22:11
I concur. The days will be very short then--you might not enjoy having to bash around in the dark to make your distance every day.

See you on Springer!

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 22:14
So im gonna do the Dick's creek option. Thanks everyone. Really hope I meet some of you all up on Springer on NYE.

WRT your shuttle from the other thread.

Where is your pick up point?

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 22:32
Ill be arriving in Gainesville at 7 am on Dec 26th and going to Dicks Creek. New Years day I am leaving out of Gainesville January 1 at 915 pm so I need a ride to Gainesville from Springer

WRT your shuttle from the other thread.

Where is your pick up point?

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 23:33
Ill be arriving in Gainesville at 7 am on Dec 26th and going to Dicks Creek. New Years day I am leaving out of Gainesville January 1 at 915 pm so I need a ride to Gainesville from Springer

That's a long shuttle.

I live about at the halfway point and it's 120 total miles.

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 23:40
Got any suggestions.

That's a long shuttle.

I live about at the halfway point and it's 120 total miles.

Survivor Dave
12-05-2007, 23:44
How are you getting from Gainesville to Dick's Creek?

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 23:48
Trying to figure that out. The shuttle is expensive because I have to get one afterwards as well from Springer and its adding up.

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 23:49

That's what we're talking about.

You want to give him a ride SD? It ain't gonna be cheap with fuel costs these days.

Chaco Taco
12-05-2007, 23:51
I mean should I come in from the North, say Waynesville and get a ride from Curtis at SBF or something. Hell I dont know if he goes that far.

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 23:57
I mean should I come in from the North, say Waynesville and get a ride from Curtis at SBF or something. Hell I dont know if he goes that far.

I might be able to help you with the Gainesville-Dick's Creek shuttle(let me check the Holiday schedule), but I ain't gettin' out from under warm goose down that early on a January morning to get you back to Gainesville.

Survivor Dave
12-05-2007, 23:58
Chaco,
I just sent you a PM. I can help you out as well. I'm not doing anything on the 26th.

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 00:00
Chaco,
I just sent you a PM. I can help you out as well. I'm not doing anything on the 26th.

Good show Dave. I'll let you take it from here.

Chaco Taco
12-06-2007, 00:02
Thanks to both of you!!:D

Smile
12-06-2007, 00:29
Hope you all have a great hike, nice section :)

Tumblerisk
12-07-2007, 01:27
It seems your mind is made up to start at Dick's Creek Gap, but you can get pretty darn close to Bly Gap from Blue Ridge Gap. If your ride is SUV or truck, you can take a dirt road all the way up to the gap where the trail crosses the road. Or you could get dropped off at the end of the paved road and hike about a mile to the crossing. From BRG it's about 3 miles north to Bly Gap, so you would have a little backtracking to do. Just depends on how much you want to cover the entire state.

I was pretty out of shape when I did Springer to Bly back in May, but was able to get it done in 5 days. 6 or 7 days would have been much more enjoyable as the daily mileage was a bit much for me. Again, just depends on how much you want to cover the entire state this trip.

Chaco Taco
12-08-2007, 00:14
It seems your mind is made up to start at Dick's Creek Gap, but you can get pretty darn close to Bly Gap from Blue Ridge Gap. If your ride is SUV or truck, you can take a dirt road all the way up to the gap where the trail crosses the road. Or you could get dropped off at the end of the paved road and hike about a mile to the crossing. From BRG it's about 3 miles north to Bly Gap, so you would have a little backtracking to do. Just depends on how much you want to cover the entire state.

I was pretty out of shape when I did Springer to Bly back in May, but was able to get it done in 5 days. 6 or 7 days would have been much more enjoyable as the daily mileage was a bit much for me. Again, just depends on how much you want to cover the entire state this trip.

Im going to put this one off until another time. I really wanna do it but dont want to go solo. I love hiking alone but would like to actually hike with someone for a change. Gonna tackle NOC Fontana run.