PDA

View Full Version : Four Month Thru-Hike?

MurphysLwa
12-05-2007, 21:25
Hello all. This is my first post on the site having joined a few days ago. I have been reading much on here and have found loads of useful information.

There is one topic, though, that I am curious about . Has anyone completed or know anyone who has completed the hike in four months? I was looking at Map Man’s article “AT Hiking Rates, Section by Section” and saw the time frame for those on a four month hike. I am sure I have also read of people doing it in three, namely trail-runners. Still, I’m curious as to how the experience was.

It’s not that I want to rush it, it’s that I only have that amount of time. I am currently living in New Zealand and I am in a friend’s wedding near the end of July. Since my visa is up in April anyways, I figured that since I am flying all the way home and then back to Australia after the wedding, I should make the most of my time in the states (not that I’m not looking forward to the wedding!) and fly home a bit early and hike the trail (something I have wanted to do for years).

I plan on starting in early March and hope to be finished in time for the wedding which is on the 19th of July. (Hopefully I'll finish with enough time to clean myself up...I can't imagine it'd be good to stand up there right after the trail...).

Success rates for those setting out with this itinerary? Pleasant? Miserable? I will be hiking regardless (I can hardly contain my excitement, to be honest) but am just curious about this topic. (Sorry if this is a repeat thread!)

Thanks for any help!

Lone Wolf
12-05-2007, 21:27
you're 22. you have a whole life in front of you. take 6 months. a wedding is 1 day day. 50/50 it will end in divorce. 1 in 10 you'll do a thru-hike

SGT Rock
12-05-2007, 21:31
If you have four months and want to hike the AT - then hike it. If you make it all the way then you make it, if you don't you don't. I say go for it and try, but don't kill yourself. If you decide to slow down and skip some sections here and there because you cannot make it all in 4 months - then do that. The trail will be there later for you to finish.

rickb
12-05-2007, 21:33
People used to do 4 month hikes all the time.

Now hotels and towns slow most people down to Wolf's speed.

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2007, 21:36
... a wedding is 1 day day. 50/50 it will end in divorce. 1 in 10 you'll do a thru-hike

LW, always the optimist.:rolleyes:

BTW, Murphy, 1 in 265,387 you'll get...oh, NEVERMIND!

Have a great hike.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2007, 21:37

Have a great hike.

i'm a realist scooter

pitdog
12-05-2007, 21:41
This year im going for 3 mths.Than I am completing my sec hike.After that,I plan on doing a full twelve months on the trail.Ill be with my other half on the year long.

CaseyB
12-05-2007, 21:42

Have a great hike.
I love the cross-thread reference posts. Fun way to get two arguments about the same thing going at the same time.

MurphysLwa
12-05-2007, 21:45
Thanks for the kindly words on their marriage! I think they'll be alright. But I told them I'd be there and am one of the groomsmen so I'll keep my word on that.

how do you think you'll fare with three months, pitdog?

pitdog
12-05-2007, 21:49
I did my first in four months and I felt pretty good.I've been training for a three month thru hike and I dont think I'll have any problems.

4eyedbuzzard
12-05-2007, 21:50
I love the cross-thread reference posts. Fun way to get two arguments about the same thing going at the same time.

Just having a little fun.:) The other thread is pretty much dead--I mean done anyway.;)

MurphysLwa
12-05-2007, 21:52
How many miles were you hiking on average pitdog? Not to ask a ton of questions, just trying to know how it went.

astrogirl
12-05-2007, 22:01
Murphys -- check out trailjournals.com

You can look for a journal of someone who did what you're attempting to do.

SOBOs seem to be faster, on average, than NOBOs. Maybe the lack of social interaction creates less distraction, I don't know.

Goodness knows, there's an awful lot of distraction going north from Springer in March or April!

pitdog
12-05-2007, 22:04
I averaged mid twentys through my first thru hikeI had several nice days off in town ,and I hiked with alot of different people.My highest milage day was a 43 in penn.Also.I had several town days,but I made up for my town days with high milage.

Skidsteer
12-05-2007, 22:06
Thanks for the kindly words on their marriage! I think they'll be alright. But I told them I'd be there and am one of the groomsmen so I'll keep my word on that.]

how do you think you'll fare with three months, pitdog?

My first marriage should've taken four months.

Waaay too many zero days.

Lilred
12-05-2007, 22:12
Do you have to leave the States right after the wedding? Could you take a few days off for the wedding, then finish the trail before you go back??

MurphysLwa
12-05-2007, 22:19
Not too much time after the wedding...pretty much heading straight out

A-Train
12-06-2007, 02:10
Not too much time after the wedding...pretty much heading straight out

Go for it. You can do it. Plenty of people have hiked the trail in 120 days. Don't get sucked into the groups and hoards. Hike your hike. At a 4 month pace you should be able to find a few others who'll be shooting for that timeframe. If you start the 1st of March there are always folks on a 4-5 month pace.

Keep the pack weight light. Be in reasonable shape when you start. Minimize zero days in towns. Get in and out the same day, or do nero's, allowing you to get in a few miles from town.

A huge misconception is that you need to do huge miles. You don't. Stay consistent, and don't take lots of days off. You don't even need to kill yourself the first month, just put in your 12 miles and after a few weeks that'll start to raise up to 15's and then 20's.

As mentioned, go onto Trailjournals and find someone on a 4 month pace. Look at the daily numbers and assess whether you think you can do that. My feeling is you'll find it very doable. You just have to be a bit independant minded and be committed to your cause

Kaptain Kangaroo
12-06-2007, 06:17
Four months is absolutely achievable !!
I started March 3rd & finished July 12th. I found this pace great & would definitely do it again.
I didn't have to do crazy miles each day (it works out to an average of about 17 per day) I just didn't take many zeros ( 4 + 3 for Trail Days) & always did consistent days between 15 & 25 miles...biggest day was only 29 miles...

Get your pack weight down & get fit before you start.... makes it much easier.

Go for it !! It is the best thing you will ever do.....

Let me know when you are in Australia, perhaps we can catch up if you are ever in Sydney.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

jersey joe
12-06-2007, 09:50
MurphysLaw,
I echo A-Train and Kangaroo's thoughts, GO FOR IT!

I thru hiked in 111 days in 2002. It wasn't easy but I loved the challenge.
Here is the mail drop schedule I used, gives a rough idea of where I planned to be when. I fell behind this schedule early but then caught up in the end and finished on my planned date.

I didn't take any zero days and rarely stopped to camp early in the day.
A light pack will help, but My pack weighed 65lbs at the beginning and my average weight was probably 45lbs, so light gear is not a requirement.

One thing I don't see mentioned here is nutrition. I lost 40lbs on my already thin frame, it's hard to get enough calories when hiking the trail in under 4 months.

Johnny Swank
12-06-2007, 10:43
Zero days are what will make or break a shorter hike. I had at least 30 when I thru-hiked, most for no real reason. We took 6 when we went down the Mississippi River, 3 of which were to dodge a hurricane. I'm sold on the idea just doing some miles almost every single day will take weeks off the average thru-hike.

dessertrat
12-06-2007, 11:44
I guess that's the question: the number of zero days, and average miles. This thread is reminiscent of a young man a while ago who asked about the possibility of a 100 day thru hike. Most people said that while it can be done, it's not very practical to expect to do it in that amount of time and enjoy it. I guess it depends upon the individual. Early trail hikers didn't seem to know the meaning of zero days!

ARambler
12-06-2007, 12:08
you're 22. you have a whole life in front of you. take 6 months. a wedding is 1 day day. 50/50 it will end in divorce. 1 in 10 you'll do a thru-hike

In another tread to a 16 year old:

he's young and strong. a measley pound of maps will hardly slow him down. you weight weenies need to chll.

So, if you just carry 2 pounds of maps, LW will give you much better odds.

With lighter pack weights, and the word getting out, many people are finishing in 4 months. I saw 7 finish on 30-June-07 who were on this time frame and saw lots more late starters doing 4 months or less.

1) It should be easy for you to train this summer and get in good shape. You can easily save a week in your first 10 days.
2) However, don't start too fast. You don't want to risk injury, or force yourself to fight 7 miles through an ice-storm that will require days of mental and physical recovery. Also, 30 mile days are totally unnecessary for a 4 month thru hike. None-the-less, you are young with a faster recovery time (I'm 53), so a 30 or two may come naturally.
3) Maximize your hiking window. Obviously, 132 days is 10% more than 120 days. This could make a big difference.
4) Listen to those who recommend planning. Goal oriented hiking is the best way to meet your goals, Duh. Note, this is not my style. In both 04 and 07 I had about 4+ months. My plan was to do as much as I could and come back later and finish the trail, if necessary. I hiked long days, but could have pressed for another 10% or so. If I had pressed to the limit, I would not have enjoyed the hike as much, and I would have risked mental or physical burnout and might not have finished at all.
5) Don't listen to Sgt. Rock and skip sectionS to meet a deadline. I'll bet Sgt. Rock doesn't. Most opportunities to yellow blaze (or blue blaze) are sections that will be difficult to come back to and finish. If you have to come off the trail in Gorham and go back and hike ME another year thats OK (ME in August/September is better anyway). You will have protected the integrity of your hike.
6) Hold out your hands when when it rains pennies from heaven. It may be true that half the people need 5+ months and many who do it in 4 months are enduring high stress to meet an off the trail deadline. However, many people hike at an enjoyable pace and just end up completing the trail in 4 months. Getting up at sunrise for a couple of days could establish a pattern that will make your hike easy.

If you want to do a training run in February, just PM me.
Rambler

Lone Wolf
12-06-2007, 12:09
what's the rush. just sayin'

JAK
12-06-2007, 12:18
I suggest planning a 4 month hike, not a 2,175 mile hike.

MurphysLwa
12-06-2007, 14:03
I'm glad to see the optimistic responses. ARambler, thanks for all the tips. (About waking up at sunrise, I am currently doing so as I am working on a dairy farm to save money for the trail...not my dream job but it's ok. Up at 445 am every day for four months will prepare me for early hiking days I'm sure). I am planning on taking it fairly easy at the start, because yes, doesn't make much sense to risk injury that early on. I'm pretty confident about the time frame.

MurphysLwa
12-06-2007, 14:05
Thanks for the link JerseyJoe. I plan on reading it all. And Kaptain Kangaroo, thanks for the optimism! I'll be flying into Sydney hopefully in late July/early August.

Blissful
12-06-2007, 14:16
It's hard when you've got a list of things keeping you from taking the time to enjoy the trail, the scenery, the towns, and the people. You almost have to become a slave to time and to miles. But being from another country, etc., if this is the only time you can do it and you have it in your heart to do it, then by all means do it. It will still be an adventure of a lifetime!

MurphysLwa
12-06-2007, 14:19
Thanks Blissful. Well, I am actually from the US. I have just been here for a while on a working visa right now. yes, the drawback to having that kind of timeframe is that i am sure there will be days when I wish I could just take my time. But, this is a great chance to hike the trail because I may not make it back out there for quite some time.

CoyoteWhips
12-06-2007, 15:14
Grandma Gatewood did it in four and a half months. Can you hike faster than a 70-year-old woman?

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2007, 15:51
5) Don't listen to Sgt. Rock and skip sectionS to meet a deadline. I'll bet Sgt. Rock doesn't. Most opportunities to yellow blaze (or blue blaze) are sections that will be difficult to come back to and finish. If you have to come off the trail in Gorham and go back and hike ME another year thats OK (ME in August/September is better anyway). You will have protected the integrity of your hike.

What if he doesn't ever come back and finish? New Zealand is a long way away and "life happens". If it's obvious he isn't going to finish at some point, why not leapfrog 45 days out from the wedding, climb Katadin and hike south until he needs to go. I'd personally rather miss some parts of the trail further south. ME and NH are perhaps the most dramatic and memorable sections of the trail.

And just out of curiousity what does, "You will have protected the integrity of your hike", mean?

Lilred
12-06-2007, 16:11
Grandma Gatewood did it in four and a half months. Can you hike faster than a 70-year-old woman?

Ya but it's been said she yellow blazed.

ARambler
12-06-2007, 17:20
What if he doesn't ever come back and finish? New Zealand is a long way away and "life happens". If it's obvious he isn't going to finish at some point, why not leapfrog 45 days out from the wedding, climb Katadin and hike south until he needs to go. I'd personally rather miss some parts of the trail further south. ME and NH are perhaps the most dramatic and memorable sections of the trail.

And just out of curiousity what does, "You will have protected the integrity of your hike", mean?

Your plan would be good, if a thru is off the table. It would be really bad advise to add a couple of days for logistics (and the cost) and miss a thru by one day. Also, few would flop in NJ if a straight nobo was feasible. Maybe flip with less than 45 days left; You are recommending starting the 100 mi wilderness ca June 4 vs the more desirable July 14. Have you hiked ME in both June and September?

I hiked just over half the PCT 30 years ago and flipped to do OR instead of northern CA. I know "life happens".

Note, I capitalized the second S in SectionS. In my experience, those who take a short-cut early, either start skipping lots of sections, or let it bother them the rest of the hike until they take great pains to go back and make it up. These scenarios may work for some, but I recommend against it. I think you and Sgt Rock are overstating the magic of skip ahead plans. OTOH, it's hard for me to complain about any 4 months on the trail, even if it is not a thru.
Rambler

Grandma
12-06-2007, 17:35
If you really want to do it, just start walking. When your time is up, stop. In the end, it's that simple.

dessertrat
12-06-2007, 17:37
Ya but it's been said she yellow blazed.

Apparently none other than Earl Shaffer called her a fraud. I don't doubt, however, that she walked long portions of it. (And speaking of a fast through hike, Earl's 1965 hike was 99 days).

JAK
12-06-2007, 18:36
I'm more inclined to go with Grandma Gatewood. I prefer her style.

4eyedbuzzard
12-06-2007, 21:09
Good points.