PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a Wind-defying Umbrella

Smile
12-06-2007, 00:15
I met two hikers with these several years back. Has anybody ever hiked with a small umbrella like this? It had two levels, 44 inches diam. and weighed 1 lb (without any alterations) according to one guy I spoke to. He was dry, but it seems it might not be worth the weight, he had it wedged in his pack somehow and was not wearing any raingear.

Anybody hike with one before?

:)

Marta
12-06-2007, 07:41
I tried it a few years ago. It didn't work for me on the AT. Too many overhanging branches and vines. I think it works better in places like England and California where you're out in the open more.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2007, 07:59
I've used an umbrella, but as Marta says, it doesn't work well on trails like the AT with lots of vegetation overhead and on the edge of trail at head-level. I've used it as rain protection in more open environs and found it makes hiking in light rain delightful.

I wouldn't hike in the desert without an umbrella and add a mylar reflective cover for this. The 'portable shade' provides excellent protection from UV / UVB rays and some relief from the heat.

soulrebel
12-06-2007, 08:21
yes umbrellas are better than rain jackets. Better for you? probably not, better for me--oh hell yes.

highway
12-06-2007, 10:32
I have never used one but often thought that the idea was a good one. I have only seen two states of the AT, Georgia and North Carolina, and there I don't recall so many spots where overhanging vegetation might prohibit an umbrella's use...but i could be wrong!

I once recall seeing a photo of a hiker with an umbrella's longish handle wedged inside what looked to have been his(her?) pack's sternum strap, thusly freeing the hiker's hands for poles or whatever.

I keep thinking I'll try one

highway
12-06-2007, 10:34
My good poncho keeps me so dry from without as well as from within that so far I see little need to change...

gold bond
12-06-2007, 11:08
I know a guy that hikes with a umbrella and a "rain kilt" he made out of some type of waterproof material. He swears by that set up!

trippclark
12-06-2007, 11:36
I know a guy that hikes with a umbrella and a "rain kilt" he made out of some type of waterproof material. He swears by that set up!

That is the set up that I use, plus gaiters. Works great for me. I do carry a Frogg Toggs jacket for use in campsite when setting up and need both hands. The jacket also provides an extra layer for warmth and wind when needed.

I got tired of sweating while hiking in waterproof "breathable" raingear.

gold bond
12-06-2007, 12:05
That is the set up that I use, plus gaiters. Works great for me. I do carry a Frogg Toggs jacket for use in campsite when setting up and need both hands. The jacket also provides an extra layer for warmth and wind when needed.

I got tired of sweating while hiking in waterproof "breathable" raingear.

Did not know exactly what you had or how it was made so I did not want to get into the "who" part. Glad you caught it!

Deadeye
12-06-2007, 12:50
I've used an umbrella for several years, now. Unless it's really cold, it's my preferred "rain wear" In my experience, waterproof/breathable fabrics are niether very waterproof or very breathable. With an umbrella, I'm drier than in a rain suit, simply by sweating far less.

I find that when I hold the umbrella loosely, it will roll right through brush, sorta going with the flow. Wind is generally not a problem unless you're near or above treeline. I do carry Golite reed rain pants (4 oz) and a Marmot Precip jacket (10 oz) for those circumstances. Short trips, I leave the pants home. Mid-summer trips, the jacket is replaced by a breathable wind jacket (4 oz).

I have several umbrellas, one from Golite, some from the department store that fold up to the size of a coffee mug. All seem to work fine, all about a half pound, the little ones obviously fit inside a pack easier.

My opinion: umbrellas are worth the extra ounces. YMMV

Smile
12-06-2007, 13:15
TrippClark, that sounds like a cool set up, is it lightweight? Photos?

As for the overhanging veg. I agree that this may be a problem, maybe more in summer. I was thinking more during the cold weather than anything, nothing worse than being soaked on a Mtn. in NC when it's cold.

I suppose some people just stay put when it's raining till it stops. Nothing like cozying up for a day if you can spare the time and miles.

I saw that Montbell makes a small one as well called a Trekking Umbrella that weighs in at 5.67 oz, you can see it here (http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ultralight_umbrella.html), but the short pole on it makes me wonder how you carry this, or put in on your pack. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-06-2007, 13:27

As for the overhanging veg. I agree that this may be a problem, maybe more in summer. I was thinking more during the cold weather than anything, nothing worse than being soaked on a Mtn. in NC when it's cold.
Ditto on wanting to see photos...

Smile, I've used my umbrellas in the winter months on trails such as the AT and it does work after the leaves and vines shed their foliage.

trippclark
12-06-2007, 13:39

I suppose some people just stay put when it's raining till it stops. Nothing like cozying up for a day if you can spare the time and miles.

I saw that Montbell makes a small one as well called a Trekking Umbrella that weighs in at 5.67 oz, you can see it here (http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ultralight_umbrella.html), but the short pole on it makes me wonder how you carry this, or put in on your pack. :)

Smile,

Sorry, no photos that I can think of. The rain kilt is made from ripstop sil-nylon that I found at Wally World for just $1 a yard (yeah, I bought all they had at that price). After a hiking buddy and I designed and made these, we soonafter saw almost the exact same thing being manufactured and sold by Etowah Outfitters. You can see it at
http://tinyurl.com/2h94ba
Ours have elastic waistbands and just wrap around and attach with velcro. They cover from waist to knees, and below knees is protected by gaitors. Torso and head are protected by the umbrella.
I weighed the rain wrap once and as I recall it was about 2 ounces. The golite umbrella is something like 9 oz. I am not sure what the gaitors weigh. They are by OR.

Hope this helps.

Tripp

trippclark
12-06-2007, 14:07
Smile, I've used my umbrellas in the winter months on trails such as the AT and it does work after the leaves and vines shed their foliage.

Gotta agree with the Dino here. I use the umbrella year round (mostly Spring - Fall). Sure there is some occasional navigating required but I have never had a major problem with the umbrella getting caught up in vegetation. At least nothing to cause me to get significantly frustrated to want to put back on that clammy, hot, sweaty raingear.

I did, once, have an umbrella (GoLite) to snap in when I unwisely tilted it the wrong way in high wind on Max Patch. In this case, the rain jacket provided a backup solution and GoLite replaced the umbrella for free.

Smile
12-06-2007, 14:21
That's why I was wondering about the wind-defying umbrellas, a little weighty for my taste though, but the idea that it won't blow inside out is appealing, and at 44 inches wide ( the smallest they offer) it should cover the back of the neck and most of the upper body, relatively. Guess I need to use one to really know :)