PDA

View Full Version : December hiking Ga section, mileage

zao
12-06-2007, 13:43
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I enjoy it very much. A lot of useful information thank you for putting it together. I am very excited to be going on the AT from amicalola to neels gap the week before Christmas. I will be in Marietta, GA visiting family for Christmas and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity being down south near the AT. I have never been on this segment and don't know exactly what to expect. I do want to do the approach trail and I have heard its challenging but beautiful. I consider myself very in shape, my pack weight is 32 lbs on my home scale, i count on it being about 36 loaded up with water. So I think it is approx 39 miles from Amicalola to Neels Gap. I was wondering if this distance is considered very doable with the time frame. I am going with my Uncle who has done this segment before. He suggests that we start from Neels and hike our way back that way we can park at Amicalola instead of worrying about calling our family to shuttle us back based on how long it takes us to finish. So as of right now I am thinking, park at Amicalola, get a shuttle to Neels gap. Planning to start at about noon.
Day 1: Neels Gap -----------> Dan Gap ~8.3 Miles
Day 2: Dan Gap ------------> Cooper Gap ~ 10.6 miles
Day 3: Cooper Gap -----------> Springer Mt. ~11.6 miles
Day 4: Springer Mt. -------> Amicalola ~ 8.8 miles

Basically i am concerned about the weather conditions interfering with how much ground we can cover. Do you think this distance can be easily covered in the alloted time frame? Also should I bring my yaktrax crampons or will they be useless. Im using gtx trail runners, with wool socks as insulation. nylon pants over cap 2's for my baselayer. I have an extra polyeste pullover if it gets chilly while on the move, and a thermawrap synthetic parka for when I stop. I have a tarptent and 15F rated marmot helium. my pack weigh will be about 38 lbs loaded up with water.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2007, 13:47
yes, very doable. no crampons needed.

zao
12-06-2007, 13:52
Typo in my first post, my back pack is about 32 with no water, Im thinking it will be 36-38 depending on howmuch water I carry. I dont know how difficult it will be to find water on this segment. I would lke to load up my 3.0 L platypus, and 2 nalegenes. Will water be a problem as far as we know right now? Will any creeks be frozen over yet?

max patch
12-06-2007, 13:55
Yes, always hike toward your ride.

Don't need crampons.

No problems in completing that section in the time you have.

I've never camped at Dan Gap so I'm drawing a blank there. Sorry.

I wouldn't camp at Cooper Gap (although you can), instead, I'd stop at Justus Creek. Nicer spot. Good water.

The next night if you can't make it to Springer (because of the earlier stop at Jusus) you can stay instead at the new Stover Creek Shelter.

You'll fly into Amicalola the last day if you start at Springer or Stover Creek.

max patch
12-06-2007, 13:59
Will water be a problem as far as we know right now? Will any creeks be frozen over yet?

No frozen creeks to worry about.

Here is a link for water info. This is from the store at Neels Gap. Its a month old so you need to get an update on this closer to your trip.

https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

zao
12-06-2007, 13:59
thanks for the posts you guys. I definately need some tips on where to load up on water though. And should I treat these suggested sources? I dont know if ill have to melt snow or ice for water. or if the creeks will be good flowing still.

zao
12-06-2007, 14:00
sorry i missed your 2nd post, thanks!!

zao
12-06-2007, 14:02
Anywhere you suggest camping rather than Dan Gap, that is in close proximity. I want a good water supply and well reviewed area.

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 14:59
Anywhere you suggest camping rather than Dan Gap, that is in close proximity. I want a good water supply and well reviewed area.

Dan Gap is a decent place to camp and that creek is usually running. You'll step across the creek SOBO before you get to Dan Gap.

You can even camp by the creek if you like.

Dances with Mice
12-06-2007, 15:12
Dan Gap is a decent place to camp and that creek is usually running. You'll step across the creek SOBO before you get to Dan Gap.

You can even camp by the creek if you like.Skids - I'm away from my maps. Is Dan between Granny Top & Big Cedar? The creek you (usually) have to step across is south of Miller Gap, right? There's a great place to camp, just a few yards north of that creek, east side of trail. I don't know if it's running or not. If it is, I'd pull in there for the night.

At Cooper there was water about a quarter (- maybe half? -) mile east on FS 42 (the east-west road at the intersection). I've heard of a spring near Cooper to the north but never stopped there long enough to search. It'd be better to pull up short near Justus Creek (which is running and has many campsites) or push on to Hawk Mtn than to stop at Cooper. Let your legs be your guide at the end of that day.

Tumblerisk
12-06-2007, 15:14
I agree with the suggetion to camp at or around Justus Creek. There are some very nice sites around it. Also, if there's a way to shift your plan to include camping at Long Creek Falls, that would be a great place to spend a night. I would imagine the water is still flowing pretty well there. Not sure about water on Springer, but I've heard the spring is going dry up there. I'm sure someone else on here can verify that.

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 15:18
Skids - I'm away from my maps. Is Dan between Granny Top & Big Cedar? The creek you (usually) have to step across is south of Miller Gap, right? There's a great place to camp, just a few yards north of that creek, east side of trail. I don't know if it's running or not. If it is, I'd pull in there for the night.

Me too. That creek is the one North of Miller Gap, I'm thinkin', and I would definitely camp there if I was the OP.

zao
12-06-2007, 15:50
Thanks for all the help so far. Now that i think about it On Day one by the we get our car parked at Amicalola and shuttled up to Neels gap, its going to be around 1 pm. That will only give us about 4 hours of solid day light. So, Day 1 from another post I seen someone recommended Slaughter creek campsite, but the map shows it as a ways off the AT as far as I can tell. If I did in fact spend night 1 in Slaughter creek campsite, than i would have to go 13.7 miles the following day to get to Justus Creek. The follwing day it would be Justus to Stover Creek for 11.1 miles. And the final day Stover Creek to Amicalola for 11.3 miles. It sounds doable, I was just wondering if there is somewhere a bit farther than Slaughter campsite for day 1, that way I dont have to make up quite as much ground on day 2.

zao
12-06-2007, 15:51
And Dan gap is between Granny top and big cedar, but its too far for day 1, and too short for my final destination on day2.

hair
12-06-2007, 15:54
when you get back from your trip let us know how it went. I've got a trip planned for the week after christmas along some of the same section.

zao
12-06-2007, 15:56
Will do.

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 16:03
Thanks for all the help so far. Now that i think about it On Day one by the we get our car parked at Amicalola and shuttled up to Neels gap, its going to be around 1 pm. That will only give us about 4 hours of solid day light. So, Day 1 from another post I seen someone recommended Slaughter creek campsite, but the map shows it as a ways off the AT as far as I can tell. If I did in fact spend night 1 in Slaughter creek campsite, than i would have to go 13.7 miles the following day to get to Justus Creek. The follwing day it would be Justus to Stover Creek for 11.1 miles. And the final day Stover Creek to Amicalola for 11.3 miles. It sounds doable, I was just wondering if there is somewhere a bit farther than Slaughter campsite for day 1, that way I dont have to make up quite as much ground on day 2.

Slaughter Creek tentsites are directly on the AT.

zao
12-06-2007, 16:09
Okay awesome, thanks. Also, for safety i wanted to check in with a ranger station. Would it be opkay if when i park my car at Amicalola, to register and tell them what day I would plan to return to Amicalola?

briarpatch
12-06-2007, 16:10
We were on Blood over the weekend, and it got dark really early - like maybe 5:30-6 PM. So in figuring hiking times, make sure you keep in mind that it gets dark in the mountains before the local listed sunset times.

zao
12-06-2007, 16:12
Yeah, I did see that on the map, Havent heard much about it, do you happen to know if there is a reliable water source near Jarrard Gap?

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 16:21
Okay awesome, thanks. Also, for safety i wanted to check in with a ranger station. Would it be opkay if when i park my car at Amicalola, to register and tell them what day I would plan to return to Amicalola?

You'll sign it at the visitor center in order to park anyway.

Yeah, I did see that on the map, Havent heard much about it, do you happen to know if there is a reliable water source near Jarrard Gap?

Not always reliable but there is water. Going SOBO, turn right on the Jarrard Gap trail(towards Winfield Scott). It'll dogleg back to the left and you'll step right over it. If it's dry, look down the hill a ways and you may find water.

Jarrard Gap is a horrible place to camp IMO.

Tumblerisk
12-06-2007, 16:52
No water there, but you could camp at Bird Gap (at the Freeman Trail junction) the 1st night. There are ample campsites there and it's right on the trail. If memory serves, it's in between the Jarrard and Slaughter Creek trails. Or there's the Woods Hole Shelter.

Tumblerisk
12-06-2007, 16:53
Just re-read my last post. When I said "no water there" I was refering to Bird Gap, not Skidsteer's post. Sorry.

Rain Man
12-06-2007, 19:03
I agree with the suggetion to camp at or around Justus Creek. There are some very nice sites around it. ...

Might want to check with the Georgia AT Club. I know they were working on a relocation at Justus Creek. No idea if it's finished or just started. But the GA AT Club folks are proud and happy to help hikers in their neck of the woods.

Rain:sunMan

whitefoot_hp
12-06-2007, 19:06
from jarrard gap, the worst that could happen is you take the 1 mile side trail to lake winfield, and there is a stream about .5 - .75 miles down that trail.

coming from the north, the side trail is to your right.

Skidsteer
12-06-2007, 19:33
from jarrard gap, the worst that could happen is you take the 1 mile side trail to lake winfield, and there is a stream about .5 - .75 miles down that trail.

coming from the north, the side trail is to your right.

Oops! You're right, I meant Lake Winfield Scott not Vogel. I edited my other post.

Lake Winfield is a pretty reliable water source. :D

Dakota Dan
12-06-2007, 21:15
Winter is the best time to hike GA. Cold air = great views.

At Blood Mtn during sunset look for Atlanta Skyline and reflections off the glass skyscrapers. Awesome on a clear day.

Stone Mtn laser light shows (when they do'em) can be seen on clear nights.

briarpatch
12-06-2007, 22:22
Might want to check with the Georgia AT Club. I know they were working on a relocation at Justus Creek. No idea if it's finished or just started. But the GA AT Club folks are proud and happy to help hikers in their neck of the woods.

Rain:sunMan

I'll save him an email, since I would answer it anyway (for about another 3 weeks till I move to a different volunteer position, :D ). The Justus Creek relo is a couple of YEARS away from completion, so don't worry about it yet.