PDA

View Full Version : Gaitors

kayak karl
12-06-2007, 15:08
Wrighting my list to Santa for 2008 hike an came accross an item i don't have. But do I need them? Most of my clothing is from my kayaking and biking, didn't need to buy any. Do I need gaitors? I what conditions do U use them?

minnesotasmith
12-06-2007, 15:22
Wrighting my list to Santa for 2008 hike an came accross an item i don't have. But do I need them? Most of my clothing is from my kayaking and biking, didn't need to buy any. Do I need gaitors? I what conditions do U use them?

IMO you'll want gaiters. I used them all during my thruhike last year, and on even dayhikes, they're invaluable. From dirt, brambles, and bugs to UV protection, they're well worth buying and using.

warraghiyagey
12-06-2007, 15:27
I sent mine home from Monson after my first trip through the 100 mile and haven't used them or wanted them since. It's like other gear. It's for some people, not for others. There are pros and cons and only you will know if they are for you simply by giving them a whirl. I'd say from the hikers that I've seen their popularity on the trail is about a 50/50 propsition.

highway
12-06-2007, 16:19
Gaiters are goofy looking and serve no useful purpose other than that. I have never used them and so I have never missed them.

Freeleo
12-06-2007, 16:37
check these out...i really like mine
http://www.gearzone.com/Inov8-Debris-Sock-Coolmax-Gaiter-p/232-14102.htm

Cuffs
12-06-2007, 16:41
I have both the tall brush/rain/bramble gaiters and the short soft scree gaiters. I use the tall ones when I hunt and need to get off trail... I love the scree gaiters for hiking, just to keep the small twigs/stones out of my footwear!