PDA

View Full Version : Need a new lighter pack

Mrs Baggins
12-06-2007, 17:28
I'm headed back to the trail in April for a long section hike. Started a thru hike in March (didn't finish:() with a Gregory Deva pack - - way way too heavy. And the water bottle holsters were useless. I'm small (under 5') so I need a pack for a short torso and one that does not weigh the 6 lbs the Deva weighed. I must have bottle holsters and at least one other outside pocket. I thought the heavy duty hip belt would be comfortable but it was a killer.

Any recommendations? :confused:

highway
12-06-2007, 17:35
How about a great little pack that is made for you-to your dimensions?
Consider a Moonbow Gearskin:

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html

I trust that since it is made to the wearer's dimensions it should be great for you. Mine is.

And the other pack....sell it on eBay, don't just throw it in the closet and put the earnings on your new one!:sun

take-a-knee
12-06-2007, 17:53
Certainly nothing wrong with a Gearskin, if you want a "conventional" LW pack, consider a Granite Gear Vapor KI, my 5'3" daughter loves hers.

jesse
12-06-2007, 18:00
do it yourself. I made two ray-way packs. 9.5oz, no hip belt, 3 outside pockets, 3700 in3. I love mine. My son and I go out on weekends, their great.

http:///www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/backpack/index.htm (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/backpack/index.htm)

Only problem, Ray has closed shop until Feb. May not give you enough time.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
12-06-2007, 18:24
I'm headed back to the trail in April for a long section hike. Started a thru hike in March (didn't finish:() with a Gregory Deva pack - - way way too heavy. And the water bottle holsters were useless. I'm small (under 5') so I need a pack for a short torso and one that does not weigh the 6 lbs the Deva weighed. I must have bottle holsters and at least one other outside pocket. I thought the heavy duty hip belt would be comfortable but it was a killer.

Any recommendations? :confused:

At the beginning of last season's hiking, I needed a new backpack. I searched a couple of brick-and-mortar outdoor shops, looked online, and spoke with friends who also get out there. The one name that was mentioned and most impressed me was Kelty. I finally decided on the Agile 4500 and am I ever glad I did. It holds all the gear I take with me and still has a bit of room leftover, so I can still use it in the colder months for heavier gear. This was a man's pack, but Kelty also has a 4500 as well as a 3500 C.I. for women. Both are under 3 lb. 8 ozs. and are built for a 12 to 17 inch torso. Prices can be found in the $150 to $180 range.
Two mesh water bottle pockets on the sides and there's an outside accessible, zippered pocket for other "stuff." MANY adjustments to cinch up the load tightly and inner stays are adjustable to the curve in your back. Easy to do with just a little help. The hip and chest straps are comfortable, but I found that a bandanna or spare sock wrapped around each of the shoulder straps. just forward of the armpits, does help quite a bit for more comfort in warmer weather. Hope this helps!!!

Minerva
12-06-2007, 18:58
I agree with Take-a-Knee. I've seen several smaller-short-torso women wearing this pack. Additional accessories include hip belt pockets and a lid pocket if you really think you need another "pocket". Extra pockets usually become "junk drawers" and you figure out how to live without one. 3,300 ci and 2lbs.

I have a GG Vapor Trail and wouldn't part with it.:D Love this pack.
MrsG

maxNcathy
01-13-2008, 09:12
Gossamer Gear Mariposa is lighter than light.

Doughnut
01-13-2008, 09:21
Mrs B,

Why not go to Dahlonega to Mountain Crossings, or a local , knowledgable outfitter, and let them fit you for a pack? It'll cost more, probably worth it in the long (and section) run.

Dough Nut

gearfreak
01-13-2008, 09:29
Take a look at the ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm) or the smaller Conduit. (http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm) I use a Catalyst and love it. If you're very budget conscious, REI's UL line is nice. Good luck! :cool:

Mrs Baggins
01-13-2008, 14:35
Thanks for all of the advice. I settled on a Gregory Jade 50, 3 lbs 2 ounces, and, made for a woman, and extremely comfy to carry. Got it in a Small, it's rated to 35 lbs, the top lid even when loaded doesn't shove my head forward (like the Deva always did) and make it impossible to put my head back and stretch my neck. I feel as though I have control of the pack and am carrying it - it is not in control of me and pushing me forward. Now......I'm just waiting eagerly for the MSR Hyperflow water purifier to come out!

gumball
01-13-2008, 16:59
Certainly nothing wrong with a Gearskin, if you want a "conventional" LW pack, consider a Granite Gear Vapor KI, my 5'3" daughter loves hers.

I am of relative height, maybe an inch taller--I have had a GG Vapor Ki, for the last couple of years. It probably has 600+ trail miles on it. I've packed out with 7 days of supplies in it, and really, really like the pack. I have tried several others (much heavier) but will stick with this one for as long as it lasts on the trail.

Lilred
01-13-2008, 21:35
5ft, short torso woman here. I love my ULA-P2. Not sure if it's the new conduit or circuit, but it's the larger of the two packs. ULA is sooo comfortable I hardly notice it's there. Two web water bottle holders, two hip belt pockets which I don't know how other people do without. I have nothing but good things to say about my pack. Mountain Crossings carries the latest version of Brian's pack and they'll fit it to your body.