PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Press

COWBOY
12-10-2003, 17:21
Has Anyone Used This On The Trail? I Used Coffee In Filter Packs Before On The At But Was Hiking With My Son Will Be Alone This Time And Wanted Something For One; Happy Hiking Cowboy

icemanat95
12-10-2003, 17:34
Go to your supermarket and buy a Melita one cup cone filter and some appropriately sized filters for it. Spoon a couple of tablespoons (or thereabouts) of ground coffee into the filter put the filter cone on top of your coffee cup and pour in boiling water until you fill your cup. Voila, a decent cup of coffee. Total weight? Not enough to worry about and you don't have to choke down any of that poorly flavored or every acidic instant coffee crap.

firefly
12-10-2003, 17:44
I am a coffee addict. I cannot stand instant coffee. I use a Lexan cofee press (5 oz) when I am hiking. The coffee it makes tastes so good I have a bought the 6 cup stainless steel version for car camping. It is easy...you use the same coffee you would put in an automatic coffee maker. You measure out your coffee...add boiling water..let sit for 3-4 minutes..push the plunger down to catch all the grounds and you have an excellent cup of coffee. Because I am cutting down on packweight I have just purchased the MSR coffee filter (1 oz) but I have not tried it out yet

2Ply
12-10-2003, 18:28
I use the Folgers coffee singles. Like a Tea bag but with coffee. The used bag can go back in the foil wrapper and doesn't leak in the trash bag.

cabalot
12-29-2003, 21:34
check this gadget out at campmor, weighs only 1oz

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=43657&prmenbr=226

Grampie
12-30-2003, 11:00
HI,
I met a hiker who used a Coleman fuel filter funnel to make coffee. He just put the coffee in the funnel and added the hot water. It worked well without a lot of fuss. It only weighs about 1oz.

Frog
01-01-2004, 08:08
'The coffee press is one of the best inventions made for backpacking if you are a coffee nut like me.But i would only use this on weekend or short hikes. The folgers singles is probably the second best coffee invention. Nothing better than a cup of coffee after supper and the coffee press makes one like you brewed it at home.

greyowl
01-05-2004, 10:54
My daughter bought me a small French coffee press that fits neatly into my food bag. I can place my powdered creamer, sugar and coffee inside of it (along with a couple of packages of oatmeal. Note to self, check to make sure that I don't use the oatmeal as coffee). Have always hated folgers singles (taste horrible). Before the french press I always took tea on the trail.

Grey Owl