PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in 09 need a little more info....

tomsawyer222
12-07-2007, 06:41
I the GSMNP i have heard and read that there is no camping anywhere but in shelters? This for me is only a probablem since i use a hammock and somewhat prefer that to the ground.....or shelter. Also the use of the hammock has really gotten rid of me using a ground pad so if i were forced into the shelter i would be beating the wood that night. Just wondering if there is any way to camp along the trail not at shelters as i also plan on not shelter hoping and just hiking till i want to stop:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2007, 06:58
The AT thru the GSMNP is so horrifically overused that no camping is allowed along the AT away from shelters. Since you are doing a thru-hike (to the GSMNP service this means starting 50 miles before and continuing 50 miles after the park boundary) then you can register as a thru-hiker. If you are doing this during the peak season, then the shelter will be full and you will be 'forced' :D to camp in the area of the shelter.

By 2009, the question of whether using the BMT as an alternate route is or is not approved by the ATC should be answered and if that is allowed, the BMT is a far better trail for hangers. It has about 30 campsites.

This is a link to a 1.4 MB PDF map of the GSMNP (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf). The AT is marked as blue dots. The BMT is marked with yellow.

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 09:47
If the BMT is "approved" as an alternate route, Id definately take it. Ive hiked most of it thru GSMNP and it is great! Except for maybe Mt Sterling, water is not much of an issue, unlike the AT...

tomsawyer222
12-07-2007, 15:15
There is no way to just avoid the ridge runners and hang off trail far enough so as to not be seen?

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 15:45
There is no way to just avoid the ridge runners and hang off trail far enough so as to not be seen?

yes there is

neo
12-07-2007, 16:18

:D i bet i can do it:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1683&catid=member&imageuser=11

neo
12-07-2007, 16:18
yes there is

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1683&catid=member&imageuser=11

Footslogger
12-07-2007, 16:25
I the GSMNP i have heard and read that there is no camping anywhere but in shelters? This for me is only a probablem since i use a hammock and somewhat prefer that to the ground.....or shelter. Also the use of the hammock has really gotten rid of me using a ground pad so if i were forced into the shelter i would be beating the wood that night. Just wondering if there is any way to camp along the trail not at shelters as i also plan on not shelter hoping and just hiking till i want to stop:-?

=====================================

If the shelters are full you can camp in the areas around the shelters. That way you've got access to water and can hang your food on the bear cables - if you choose.

During my thru I rarely got to a shelter early enough to grab a spot (not that I really wanted one anyway) and just walked out in the woods near the shelter and pitched my tent.

'Slogger

tomsawyer222
12-07-2007, 17:48
Good i know it is probably not the best thing to do but hey HYOH

Chaco Taco
12-10-2007, 12:36
When are you starting? Im March 8, 2009

Blissful
12-10-2007, 13:09
Actually the ridgerunners were okay. We camped when the shelters weren't full up. Hammocking gives you better place to set up, actually, as tent spots weren't all that great. Ridgerunners aren't posted at every shelter either. Sometimes they also hang out at gaps and trail crossings also. By the time you go through, usually the shelters are pretty much full anyway with spring hikers. I would not try to camp elsewhere beside the designated areas - but I'm sure that is a whole other thread.

And it can get cold in the Smokies, so be prepared if you hammock.

Appalachian Tater
12-10-2007, 13:10

HYOH doesn't mean "do what ever you want to do regardless of the rules, laws, and consequences". If you're saying "HYOH" to justify doing something you know is wrong, you're still doing something wrong.

tomsawyer222
12-10-2007, 21:51
I realize it is still wrong. I am starting march 1st. Also just cause somethings is a decided to be wrong by some authority that is not on the spot just makes it wrong in the eyes of those people and people are not perfect.

Flush2wice
12-11-2007, 10:33
If you take your time and arrive late in the day you will most likely find a full shelter and be able to hammock without feeling guilty. The AT will be packed with people.
IMO the better option is to take the BMT. Don't be a slave to the white blazes.

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2007, 10:45
Question about hammock camping:
GSMNP has hikers stay in shelters, in lieu of tenting, because the tent mashes down vegetation, hence leaves a trace (I'm guessing here). However, hammocks are not set on the ground, so why are hikers prohibited from setting up a hammock if space is available in a shelter?
The only reason I can think of would have something to do about wrapping ropes around trees, but that can’t be any worse than the bear cables anyone know the answer?

Lone Wolf
12-11-2007, 10:49
it's a control thing

A-Train
12-11-2007, 10:58
If you don't stay in the cages, those evil bears will eat you and your foodbag!

Lone Wolf
12-11-2007, 10:59
If you don't stay in the cages, those evil bears will eat you and your foodbag!

they've taken the doors off the cages

ScottP
12-11-2007, 13:05
Don't count on the shelters being full.

The Weasel
12-11-2007, 13:33

Of course there is, Tom. Just as it's possible for you to throw your garbage enough off the trail that it can't be seen. Or to urinate in a water source, and not be seen. You can smoke during "no fire" warnings, and throw your lit cigarette but off the trail...and not be seen. There are lots of other things you can do that break rules that are made for very, very good reason. And not be seen.

If that's the kind of person you are. I doubt that's the case, though; sure hope not.

TW

The Weasel
12-11-2007, 13:35
Question about hammock camping:
GSMNP has hikers stay in shelters, in lieu of tenting, because the tent mashes down vegetation, hence leaves a trace (I'm guessing here). However, hammocks are not set on the ground, so why are hikers prohibited from setting up a hammock if space is available in a shelter?
The only reason I can think of would have something to do about wrapping ropes around trees, but that can’t be any worse than the bear cables anyone know the answer?

The cables for bear hangers are fixed, and limited in number. Hammock ties can number in the hundreds (or more) in a season, and can do damage to the bark of smaller trees. Yes, it's worse.

TW

peanuts
12-11-2007, 15:27
really, that is news to me! tw:rolleyes::Dwhere is the "data":D

Blissful
12-11-2007, 20:34
they've taken the doors off the cages

Not all of them are gone but many of them. We used the wires for hangars to dry stuff on.

jiggatravels
12-11-2007, 23:23
I'm glad you asked this question. I am planning hammocking as well.

From the sounds of it you just have to be sneaky. ;)

tomsawyer222
12-12-2007, 19:24
Well i dont feel that hanging off trail in a way as not to disturb others view or destroy the forest is like litering.... I feel that the hammock is probably ten times more leave no trace than any tent or shelter could be... i also dont smoke :). I dont want to damage anything or break any rules i just want to pass through this forest any carry on down the trail and enjoy my self doing what i like in the way i like which does not involve litering. i suppose that when you get to the whites TW that you will pay the 80 dollars to stay at the huts because their rules say so. And when they say in 10 years that in order to thru hike you must pay a fee to walk in the woods because others are destroying it you will pay and feel good.

tomsawyer222
12-12-2007, 19:26
Some people just dont like hammocks.......