PDA

View Full Version : Best boots???

Roots
12-07-2007, 12:16
My husband is in desparate need for some new boots. He does not have troublesome feet, but the knees are another story. He had ACL surgery about 15yrs ago, but honestly, he doesn't seem to have many problems. He used to have the LOWA RENEGADES and LOVED them. Then we got him some ASOLOs and he liked those ok. I think he really liked the Renegades. We were just curious and wanted some of you guys' wisdom and input about other good boots out there. THANX!!:)

Digger'02
12-07-2007, 12:18
Limmers. they aren't for everyone, but they sure are for me. Check them out at limmerboots.com

Bare Bear
12-07-2007, 12:22
Like all gear, the choices are many and the arguments more. Use what he has found works for him. After my experiences I just say stay away from any North Face product. I personally like Merrills or Montrails but have used others too.
Generally if the hiker carries a bigger weight load (pack plus self) then sturdier footgear seems to work better. A good knowledgable sales person at an outfitter can help. Unfortunately sometimes they push what the boss wants sold.

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 12:47
I have and love both my Hi-Tec boots and my Montrails. But even within the brands, there are some models that I cant stand!

As BB said, its going to boil down to YOUR (hubby's) preference... try on everything and walk around the store while you shop...

EWS
12-07-2007, 12:48
Sounds like a day of boot shopping is needed.

Summit
12-07-2007, 14:54
Since shoes/boots are such a "personal fit" thing, and it sounds as you want to surprise him with these for Christmas, I'd suggest getting the closest thing to what he has liked most in the past, and from a convenient source so that if an exchange is needed it will be easy. Having said that, I vote for Merrills also! :)

Ewker
12-07-2007, 14:57
I use Asolo boots all the time. Every time I see the one I use on sale I buy it.

taildragger
12-07-2007, 15:28
Whatever gives him the most comfortable fit, this goes for the boot and insole combo.

Personally, I prefer something with a vibram sole that is well attached to the boot itself, if you could find something that is stiched, but not a mountaineering boot, I think that would be the best long term solution (just replace the soles, I wish that I could have on my boots...)

Roots
12-07-2007, 15:34
These are some great suggestions. I know that he'll just have to try on different ones to see what works for him. I just got fitted for new ones about 3 months ago, so I guess its his turn. I really just wanted to see what some of the boots being used on the trail were and likes and dislikes just for comparison sakes. I tried on about 7 different boots and ended up with the Vasque Breeze. I love them!! I hope he has as good a luck as me. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming!!:)

Summit
12-07-2007, 16:18
Vasque Breeze = Nice! I've had a couple pair of both Vasque and Merrill boots, very similar in quality, durability, and comfort. You might have him also try on these:

http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=merrill+moab&x=0&y=0

Like the Vasques, they come in both low top and high top. I prefer the low top for comfort and lightness.

Summit
12-07-2007, 16:21
I just got the Merrell Moab CrossTrainers in navy blue. Haven't put 'em to the test on the trail yet, but they feel great on 3-mile walks in the 'hood! ;)

Peaks
12-07-2007, 16:22
It really doesn't matter what others are using. The three most important things to consider when buying boots is:

Fit

Fit

Fit

dessertrat
12-07-2007, 17:01
It's all about fit.

kyhiker1
12-07-2007, 17:22
I have had the best luck with Merrils & Montrail.Whatever feels good to you is usually what the final pick comes down too.Just stay with a well built boot thats comfortable but, is tough on the trail.

Roots
12-07-2007, 18:32
I could not agree with you guys more!!! I am flat footed with no heel. I was wondering about the Merril ventilaters (sp?). I was at an outfitter today and saw a pair. They were nice! I might get him to go by and look at them. Thanks again!!!:)

take-a-knee
12-07-2007, 18:59
I could not agree with you guys more!!! I am flat footed with no heel. I was wondering about the Merril ventilaters (sp?). I was at an outfitter today and saw a pair. They were nice! I might get him to go by and look at them. Thanks again!!!:)

My daughter has flat feet and HAS to have superfeet insoles in her boots (or running shoes).

LIhikers
12-07-2007, 22:21
I have good luck with Vasque Clarion boots.

Roots
12-08-2007, 00:19
My daughter has flat feet and HAS to have superfeet insoles in her boots (or running shoes).

I bought some Superfeet insoles this past summer and wore them out. I like them but always felt I needed something with a little more padding in the ball of the foot. About 2 weeks ago I was at a local outfitter and she suggested the Spenco Backpacker inserts-WOW!!!! These things are amazing. I get great cushion in all the places of my foot that I need. I use them in my New Balance and Nike Airs I wear to the gym, too. I'll definitely need another pair before my hike. They'll last around 4 to 6 months, depending on the hiking I'll be doing. If your daughter has flat feet, just to save her some long term problems, you might want to see if these would work for her. :)

Shutterbug
12-08-2007, 01:42
My husband is in desparate need for some new boots. He does not have troublesome feet, but the knees are another story. He had ACL surgery about 15yrs ago, but honestly, he doesn't seem to have many problems. He used to have the LOWA RENEGADES and LOVED them. Then we got him some ASOLOs and he liked those ok. I think he really liked the Renegades. We were just curious and wanted some of you guys' wisdom and input about other good boots out there. THANX!!:)

I have several pair of "good", name brand hiking boots, but the most comfortable I have are these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4840910

Tinker
12-08-2007, 01:46
I bought some Superfeet insoles this past summer and wore them out. I like them but always felt I needed something with a little more padding in the ball of the foot. About 2 weeks ago I was at a local outfitter and she suggested the Spenco Backpacker inserts-WOW!!!! These things are amazing. I get great cushion in all the places of my foot that I need. I use them in my New Balance and Nike Airs I wear to the gym, too. I'll definitely need another pair before my hike. They'll last around 4 to 6 months, depending on the hiking I'll be doing. If your daughter has flat feet, just to save her some long term problems, you might want to see if these would work for her. :)

I'll have to check those out. I can't hike (or walk) any distance without some arch support. I used to use Superfeet, wore out several pair, then got a pair of Chaco boots with fantastic insoles. I don't wear the boots much, but I use the insoles in my sandals. They also, alas, are wearing out.
Thanks for the tip.

Summit
12-08-2007, 08:59
Spenco Backpacker inserts-WOW!!!!Those are what I just put in my new Merrell Moab Ventilators. In fact it was when I was inserting one in my less than year old boots that I wore to try them on that I saw one boot's toe was becoming unlaminated and REI gave me full credit on them toward the new ones (about $15 difference). The Spenco Backpackers are about $18 (middle of the road expense-wise for insoles) and I think they're better or as good as most of the ridiculously expensive ones. ;)

Roots
12-08-2007, 11:19
Those are what I just put in my new Merrell Moab Ventilators. In fact it was when I was inserting one in my less than year old boots that I wore to try them on that I saw one boot's toe was becoming unlaminated and REI gave me full credit on them toward the new ones (about $15 difference). The Spenco Backpackers are about $18 (middle of the road expense-wise for insoles) and I think they're better or as good as most of the ridiculously expensive ones. ;)

Definitely!!!:D

NICKTHEGREEK
12-11-2007, 12:52
I really have been happy with the renegades, I stuck with Lowa for my latest pair of light hikers. It's like a car, brand loyalty is just fine if the product meets your requirements.

Roots
12-11-2007, 13:15
I really have been happy with the renegades, I stuck with Lowa for my latest pair of light hikers. It's like a car, brand loyalty is just fine if the product meets your requirements.

I totally agree!! I had a pair of Lowa's also and LOVED them. When we first got our Lowa's we hiked over 5 miles the first time we wore them and never had a problem then or there after. I don't know how we got onto other brands, but I still recommend Lowa to people that ask me. By the way, I have the Vasque Breezes and HIGHLY recommend those too!!:)

brotheral
12-11-2007, 17:28
I've had very good luck with Merrell (3pairs), Lowa (2pairs), and my most recent acquisition, Asolo TPS 520. I read a few months ago in these forums where some folks were calling the 520's BRICKS. I used them on some very rocky terrain with alot of exposed roots and was quite impressed. Maybe my feet aren't as tough as some folks. I'm willing to trade extra weight for more support and comfort... I need to put more miles on them, but GOOD so far !!
Fit is everything and it's been my experience that you better not have a "cheap attack" when buying boots.
Happy Trails.....:sun BrotherAL

jtbradyl
12-14-2007, 21:53
The best all around heavy duty boot ever made is the La Sportiva Makalu (if of course you can get a good fit) and the best dollar value is the Hi Tec Altitude boot. Rediculously inexpensive and tough as nails.

archy
12-15-2007, 10:59
Ones that work for him. Ask him.

jtbradyl
12-15-2007, 11:38
My thought here and I think it was mentioned earlier is that goretex and other schemes don't last very long. They may keep the water out but lose their breathabilty. The shoe gets wet through and dries slowly and cracks may appear and then even the waterproof capability is gone. An all leather boot wih no seams is the best. That was the consensus 100 years ago and is still true. Using a waterproofing compound may be more work but it also protects the shoe. The new materials often end up being as hot if not hotter than all leather boots. However my favorite shoes are fabric leather shoes without goretex or any other waterproofing feature. They dry out even when using them after a soaking and my socks and feet dry out as well. and the shoe isn't hard enough to abrade the wet skin. Unfortunately for hiking in especially rough and/or rocky terrain a heavy sole is nice to have. And i don't know of any running shoe to which such a sole could be attached without making it into a heavy boot.

NorthCountryWoods
12-17-2007, 09:19
The best all around heavy duty boot ever made is the La Sportiva Makalu (if of course you can get a good fit)....

Tough, but a very long and uncomfortable breakin period. They need to be resoled by the time they get comfortable.

Montrail Morraine AT was the best all around high mileage, comfortable boot, but they no longer make em. You can still get them on Ebay every now and then.

Roots
12-17-2007, 09:34
Thanks for all the replies! We went to a local outfitter last Thursday and got my hubby fitted. He tried on about 5 or 6 different pair of boots. He tried about 4 different brands. His favorite from years ago, the Lowa's, were still his favorite. THEN he tried on the Vasque Wasatch GTX. HE LOVED THEM!! He walked all over the store, up and down the tester ramps, and couldn't resist. He said in his opinion, they were EXTREMELY close to the Lowa comfort (a different Lowa, not the renegade), but when he put the Vasque back on he knew they were it. We bought them. Friday we left for a small overnighter and did 9 miles Saturday. No problems at all. He loves them.

I think threads like this are extremely important for people who are gearing up, so thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming--someone else has to be wondering the same thing.:)

Tinker
12-17-2007, 12:46
I'm very glad for your husband. Good footwear is the most important aspect of walking, in the woods or out.

For other boot shoppers, I might point out that footwear companies often change the last (the form around which their boots are made) from year to year. I've gone looking for the same shoes I just wore out only to find that they had changed, but kept the same name. Another thing is that your feet rarely stay the same from year to year. My flat feet are getting flatter, longer, and wider, and arthritis is making my toes twist in the strangest directions. Every time I go shopping, there's something else that I find that's even better than the last pair. Just don't buy impulsively. Try shoes on at the end of the day when your feet are at their largest, and use the socks that you intend to hike in. Try, try, try, before you buy.

Ramble~On
12-17-2007, 15:09
I use Asolo boots all the time. Every time I see the one I use on sale I buy it.

I'll second that. I have 4 pair of the same boot:rolleyes: .
I work on my feet...walking or standing all day and wear Asolo 520GTX I think they're 520GTX anyway. Coworkers and friends who complain about lower back, foot or leg problems...I always tell them about these boot and often get feedback from those that buy a pair that they LOVE them...guess it's a bit extreme to Love a a pair of boots but I know what my next pair will be;) . I have heavyweight Raichle and Scarpa, plenty of midweights and several lightweight pairs of boots on down to Keens but Asolo is by far my most worn pair of boots for work and trail. I use gel insoles which makes them even better IMO.