PDA

View Full Version : Mt Rogers area trail conditions

bulldog49
12-07-2007, 12:26
I'm doing a section hike starting next Fri from I77 to Damascus and would like info on water sources in this area. Also, is there any snow accumulation in the upper elevations?

Thanks.

Wonder
12-07-2007, 12:44
From what I can see.....the caps have been all white up there for weeks! I've been wanting to hike, but don't know if I trust my car up in that area......little coupe and all. I think I figured out why they call it White Top!

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 12:50
I'm doing a section hike starting next Fri from I77 to Damascus and would like info on water sources in this area. Also, is there any snow accumulation in the upper elevations?

Thanks.

water is low everywhere. there's about 5 inches of snow up there now. it should melt by next friday. temps in the 60s this coming week

bigcranky
12-07-2007, 13:07
LW,

Specific questions -- do you know if the springs are working at Old Orchard and Thomas Knob? How about Saunders?

(I know you hate shelters. But I'd like to stop in for a meal, and water would be good.)

Thanks,

Ken

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 13:14
LW,

Specific questions -- do you know if the springs are working at Old Orchard and Thomas Knob? How about Saunders?

(I know you hate shelters. But I'd like to stop in for a meal, and water would be good.)

Thanks,

Ken

i do not know how the water is at these shelters

bulldog49
12-07-2007, 16:49
Thanks for the info, hopefully the snow melt improves the water situation some.

If anyone knows for certain a particular source is dry I would appreciate hearing about it.

CaseyB
12-07-2007, 17:16
Saunders is running, don't know about the other two but the snowmelt should help over the coming week.

CaseyB
12-07-2007, 17:17
From what I can see.....the caps have been all white up there for weeks! I've been wanting to hike, but don't know if I trust my car up in that area......little coupe and all. I think I figured out why they call it White Top!
Keep your eyes on the road & stop staring at the mountains on your way home from work, hippie!:D