PDA

View Full Version : Good views NOC to Fontana

Chaco Taco
12-07-2007, 14:42
Im doing this section with little bear after Christmas and was wondering what are some of the highlights. I have heard its a tough section. So fill me in folks.

Sly
12-07-2007, 14:47
Great views from Cheoah Bald and into Fontana! Nice climbing up to Cheoah from Sassafras Gap and to Sweetwater Gap from Stecoah Gap. It's a good section. Generally regarded as the toughest in the southern Appalachians.

But for y'all it should be a piece of cake!

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2007, 14:50
Not really a whole lot of views on this stretch, tho there's a tremendous one from the top of Cheoah Bald; amazing sunsets there, too, so bring water from Sasafrass Gap shelter and camp up top. This should definitely be your destination for Day One.

The next great views aren't really til you approach Fontana Dam, tho there's some pretty stuff in between (Cable Gap shelter is very nice).

Have fun climbing outta Sweetwater Gap, some people think it's the toughest climb in the South!

And let us know how the trip goes....

Jack Tarlin
12-07-2007, 14:51
Wow, Sly beat me to it....on everything.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Chaco Taco
12-07-2007, 14:58
Great minds think alike, I guess.

That is a scary thought.
Thanks guys. Really excitted about finally getting to hike with Little Bear

Flush2wice
12-07-2007, 15:17
I'll second the Cheoah plug. It's one of the best views on the trail. The sun sets over the Smokies and Fontana. Definitely worth hauling water a mile.
I met a character that ran into some trouble up there a few years back. I think Lone Wolf knows him. Went by the name of Straydawg.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2007, 15:32
Another vote for the view from Cheoah Bald. Spectacular.

He-Dino and I did the section going into Fontana as my first AT hike after we had our accident in 2004 (we did it in Spring, 2006 I think). It seemed quite rough to me, but I just thought it was because it was my first real hike in over a year. I was able to do it, albeit slowly, so it couldn't have been that bad. There were some really nice views along that stretch as well. If you are into fungus, I saw more variety of fungus along this stretch than I recall having ever seen in a similar length stretch.

Roots
12-07-2007, 15:45
We just did that section a few months ago and it is amazing!! The hike out of NOC wasn't bad until about 3 miles in-WHEW!! The Jump up made a great resting stop-gorgeous view. We had a lot of problems with no water (just until Stecoah) and BEES...thank God that has calmed down for you. Be prepared to spend an awe striking, jaw dropping amount of time at Cheoah-like everyone else was saying. It was unreal!! After the climb from -ell up Sweetwater, it's not that bad. There is one point before Hogback Gap that you are on the ridgeline with views of the Cheoahs and Fontana, and much more-amazing. With the leaves being gone the views after Cable Gap shelter will be nice!! I hope you guys have a great trip. Go see Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn, you've got to get some of Nancy's salsa-YUMMY!! Go to trailjournals.com/roots to look at all of my favorite pics from Wayah Bald to Fontana. That will give you a sneak peek!! Good luck!!:)

D'Artagnan
12-07-2007, 16:40
That was the first part I ever did on the AT and, even though I made all the newbie mistakes (too much gear, new shoes, etc.) it was an accomplishment I'll always cherish. I wish you the best and hope it is a time of healing for Little Bear.

Chaco Taco
12-07-2007, 16:46
We just did that section a few months ago and it is amazing!! The hike out of NOC wasn't bad until about 3 miles in-WHEW!! The Jump up made a great resting stop-gorgeous view. We had a lot of problems with no water (just until Stecoah) and BEES...thank God that has calmed down for you. Be prepared to spend an awe striking, jaw dropping amount of time at Cheoah-like everyone else was saying. It was unreal!! After the climb from -ell up Sweetwater, it's not that bad. There is one point before Hogback Gap that you are on the ridgeline with views of the Cheoahs and Fontana, and much more-amazing. With the leaves being gone the views after Cable Gap shelter will be nice!! I hope you guys have a great trip. Go see Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn, you've got to get some of Nancy's salsa-YUMMY!! Go to trailjournals.com/roots to look at all of my favorite pics from Wayah Bald to Fontana. That will give you a sneak peek!! Good luck!!:)

Great picks Roots. Im pumped. Just hope the weather is with us. Be cool to have a little snow.

Chaco Taco
12-07-2007, 16:48
hope it is a time of healing for Little Bear.

Yea me too. He sounded excitted to talk about hiking on the phone today. Like i said, Im just glad to finally be hiking with him.

little bear
12-07-2007, 20:17
Yeah im ready to get in the woods and help clear my head. Glad to be hiking with a fellow WB, that I have not yet met. Does anyone have any suggestions on North to South or South to North. I was thinking it would be cool to end at the NOC, we can shower, and get some food right there.

And does anyone have any info on the water?

LB

Roots
12-08-2007, 00:34
Yeah im ready to get in the woods and help clear my head. Glad to be hiking with a fellow WB, that I have not yet met. Does anyone have any suggestions on North to South or South to North. I was thinking it would be cool to end at the NOC, we can shower, and get some food right there.

And does anyone have any info on the water?

LB

NOC would make a great ending point because this time of year it will be like having it to yourself--ahh! There were several threads about 2 months ago on water in that area. I am not sure about NOC to Stecoah, but in October (the last weekend in OCT.) there was water at Stecoah, on the trail about 1/4 of a mile from the Yellow Creek Road crossing (south side), Cable Gap had slow flows, Walker Gap had excellent sources, and from there your in the clear. For a better update you might want to call Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn. They ususally keep good tabs on trail info-828-479-3677. I hope you guys have a GREAT trip and if you get a chance go to trailjournals.com/roots for my trip pics. Good Luck!!:)

Tabasco
12-08-2007, 08:43
The next great views aren't really til you approach Fontana Dam, tho there's some pretty stuff in between (Cable Gap shelter is very nice).

Have fun climbing outta Sweetwater Gap, some people think it's the toughest climb in the South!

And let us know how the trip goes....

I will agree with most of what Jack has to say with the notable exception of Cable Gap shelter. Unless they changed or rebuilt it in the last couple of years, that place is a dump.

My (at the time) 9 year old son climbing up out of Sweetwater Gap, asked me if they were all this tough.

I did that hike NOBO, due to travel logistics, but if I were to do it again, it would be done SoBo. Big juicy burger waiting at River's End Cafe. yum.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 09:39
Big juicy burger waiting at River's End Cafe. yum.

i wouldn't call it juicy. all burgers are cooked well done there

nitewalker
12-08-2007, 09:50
pitdog and i went from the noc to fontana in nov 06. finishing in fontana was pretty cool. we went down to fontana village and had a great meal at the restaurant over there. fontana is a real cool place to end up...hiking above fontana lake was really nice and easy....the hike itself was very nice, not hard but also not easy.....im not going to mention where we camped!

pitdog
12-08-2007, 09:54
We just missed the cheerleaders.

pitdog
12-08-2007, 09:56
Plus the views in this area were spectacular.

Tabasco
12-08-2007, 11:46
i wouldn't call it juicy. all burgers are cooked well done there

and had one medium. :)

maxNcathy
12-08-2007, 13:49
I remember thinking as I hiked DOWN and DOWN towards NOC on stone steps that it would be very tricky hiking if there was ice or snow on the TRail.

Have a great time.

Sandalwood