PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the Data Book if I have Wingfoot's book?

walkinfool
12-07-2007, 16:22
I purchased Wingfoot's 2007 Thru-Hiker's Handbook for my 2008 thru-hike (when he announced he was going to stop producing it). I'll probably pick up the updated 2008 edition when it's ready, now that Bob McCaw has taken over.

I'm wondering if I need that Data Book in addition to the Handbook. I haven't had a chance to look at a Data Book yet, but it sounds like it's just a less detailed version of the Handbook. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 16:24
you won't need the data book

smokymtnsteve
no............

Frolicking Dinosaurs
IMO, you do not need the data book in addition to the Hiker's Handbook. The Handbook contains all the data in the data book.

smokymtnsteve
12-07-2007, 16:25
you won't need the data book

but the LW blue blazer guide could be very helpful:D

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 16:27
but the LW blue blazer guide could be very helpful:D

Does it include golf courses along the AT? :D

walkinfool
12-07-2007, 16:29
Good, thanks. I guess I'll limit my packed trail info to the Handbook and 1-2 maps at a time then.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2007, 16:32
I wish LW would really publish a blue-blazer's guide. It is hard to know which blue-blaze trail are worth going down and the opinion of a connisseur with LW's impeccable grace and insight would be a Godsend.

stacy324
12-07-2007, 16:43
What about the Appalachian Pages book? Is it out yet? How does it compare to Wingfoot's?

Smile
12-07-2007, 17:58
Great idea. :)

Kirby
12-07-2007, 19:00
A book listing all the good blue-blazes from someone who has a lot of eperience walking the trail would actually be quite helpful.

Kirby

hopefulhiker
12-07-2007, 19:23
I found Wingfoot's book useful in 05. An 07 copy might still be useful in 08.. I would tear the first sections out of the book, just carry some pages... If you find you are using them, then have other sections mail dropped to you further on...

The Weasel
12-07-2007, 19:26
I wish LW would really publish a blue-blazer's guide. It is hard to know which blue-blaze trail are worth going down and the opinion of a connisseur with LW's impeccable grace and insight would be a Godsend.

FD, if you meant that as a gentle joke, I think that's just an incredible idea, and that Bob McCaw might/should seriously consider it. Wolf probably knows more about blue trails than most here, and could add a lot, but others may be able to provide a real service too with their knowledge of it. If you haven't already, pass this idea on to Bob and Wolf.

TW

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 19:43
FD, if you meant that as a gentle joke, I think that's just an incredible idea, and that Bob McCaw might/should seriously consider it. Wolf probably knows more about blue trails than most here, and could add a lot, but others may be able to provide a real service too with their knowledge of it. If you haven't already, pass this idea on to Bob and Wolf.

TW

I don't think FD was joking and it is a great idea. Nice post.

I also think adding things like medical facilities, veterinarians, and other key service providers would add value.

Smile
12-07-2007, 20:03
It would be a cool guide to have, I think they should go for it ;)

mudhead
12-07-2007, 20:18

But then all the cherry spots would be overrun by idiots like me.

Some merit to keeping some things under wraps.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 21:25
Some merit to keeping some things under wraps.

Noooo! Well, actually, yesss! But please, I beg someone to pm me the best stealth sites in the Whites. I want to avoid the Huts on my section next year. Thanks.