PDA

View Full Version : Hand sanitizer

steve hiker
12-11-2003, 00:40
I read something in this forum or another about hand sanitizer in small packs, but can't find the post. What are they called and where do you get them? Sani-wipes claim to be "antibacterial" but I have my doubts.

Doctari
12-11-2003, 01:43
I have/carry Castile soap towlettes made by PDI, Great all purpose wipes. They are used in hospitals & such.

Professional Disposables Inc.
Orangeburg NY 10962-1370

That is all the address I have, I get them at work, I usually carry 1or 2 a day.

Hope this helps.

Hammock Hanger
12-11-2003, 10:28
small bottles can be found at most pharmacies or chain stores that carry "sample size" items. Luckily I get mine from my husband work. I even have a small one in a clip holder on my front strap.

I did not filter my water the whole time but I was good about keeping my hands sanitized after nature calls. I think the sanitizing had a lot to do with it. IMHO most of the Giardi-intestinal problems related to unclean hands.

Back to you question try the sample section... Good Luck.

Hammock Hanger:jump

Alligator
12-11-2003, 10:30
One brand name is Purell.

DebW
12-11-2003, 10:38
I found the generic store brands to be best. Purell and other name brands seem to contain perfumes that I may have been allergic to - the smell stayed on my hands and drove me crazy everytime I scratched my nose. Made my nose itch. Besides, who wants to smell like cheap perfume and possibly attract critters?

Alligator
12-11-2003, 10:45
Certainly if you're allergic to perfumes, try an unscented brand. But I'd rather smell cheap perfume than hiker funk.

rumbler
12-11-2003, 11:47
I just carried wet wipes or the equivalent. Look for the ones that have an alcohol component.

I found wet wipes did a few advantageous things:

1. Kept the booty really clean. And a clean booty is a happy booty.

2. Served handily in cleaning hands after the loo and before meals.

3. Served as a good body wipe on those really grungy days. Especially handy at cleaning in between toes.

4. Were not bad at cleaning my pot, or at cleaning equipment in general.

They are not light, but are so versatile that I dumped dry tissue altogether. Which is quite a sentence.

c.coyle
12-11-2003, 12:27
I just carried wet wipes or the equivalent. Look for the ones that have an alcohol component.

I found wet wipes did a few advantageous things:

1. Kept the booty really clean. And a clean booty is a happy booty.

If you know someone who works in a medical setting, perhaps you can acquire some alcohol preps in foil packets. They work well for cleaning one's hands and body. Being pure alcohol, I'm not sure they'd be booty-suitable.

Alligator
12-11-2003, 12:32
If you know someone who works in a medical setting, perhaps you can acquire some alcohol preps in foil packets. They work well for cleaning one's hands and body. Being pure alcohol, I'm not sure they'd be booty-suitable.

Alcohol preps can be bought in the pharmacy, usually near diabetic supples, $1-$2 per hundred.

Footslogger
12-11-2003, 13:31
I followed Rumbler's lead on my hike this year and cut over to the "wet wipes" all together. I was always able to find the flat "re-fill" packets that fit nicely into a small zip lock bag that stayed on the outside of my pack. Not having to deal with dry paper was a blessing and as already stated ...the wet wipes are much more versatile. You can practically take a "field bath" with them on the longer stretches between towns and showers.

I originally carried a small bottle of the Purell brand hand sanitizer but once I cut over to the wet wipes it became overkill and just one more thing to deal with.

Bankrobber
12-11-2003, 14:21
Definitely bring some sort of hand sanitizer. I am convinced that I got giardia from forgetting my hand sanitizer in Monson when going through the Wilderness.

MadAussieInLondon
12-11-2003, 15:34
i carry a dry-wash sanitizer. no water needed. its a gel. a drop on the hands. rub around. evaporates. nukes the nasties. small bottle lasts a long time. best yet, needs no water!

Kerosene
12-12-2003, 11:22
I used a small bottle of Purell on my October section hike, mostly for sanitizing my hands. For me, I'd project that the small bottle would last for a little over 2 weeks. This, combined with some No-Rinse Shampoo, seemed lighter than a stack of Wet Wipes.

steve hiker
12-12-2003, 11:45
I used a small bottle of Purell on my October section hike, mostly for sanitizing my hands. For me, I'd project that the small bottle would last for a little over 2 weeks. This, combined with some No-Rinse Shampoo, seemed lighter than a stack of Wet Wipes.
Think I'll try a small bottle of Purell or something similar. I've carried wet wipes and they're kind of bulky. Since I usually have a problem with overfilling my pack space, small size is more important than lowest weight.

gravityman
12-12-2003, 11:55
Think I'll try a small bottle of Purell or something similar. I've carried wet wipes and they're kind of bulky. Since I usually have a problem with overfilling my pack space, small size is more important than lowest weight.

Wally world sells wet wipes is small packages. (6"x3"X 1/4") that are resealable. We put one in our toilet paper zip lock. It's keeps the butt chafing down because you are removing the salt too when you use them. As well as the stink (at least a little).

Gravity Man

Rain Man
12-12-2003, 13:36
Certainly if you're allergic to perfumes, try an unscented brand.

Right you are, Alligator! Advertising has brainwashed us into thinking that added scents make a product better, when in fact they may make it worse.

Unscented is the way to go to avoid rashes.

Rain Man

Jaybird
12-12-2003, 14:25
I'm with ALL of the ABOVE...

i use un-scented wet wipes with some alcohol content.

most regular stores (grocery stores, dollar stores, etc) carry several brands including generics....try to get the re-sealable pouches to keep the moisture in.

good multi-purpose use!

these "wipes" feel great hitting the face first thing in the morning...almost as good as that DOUBLE-STRENGTH cup-o-java!

wooooooooooo-hooooooooooo!

Jaybird

Doctari
12-12-2003, 18:53
A short note about hand sanitizer: the alcohol ones are flamable. It' s fun to put it on my hands & light it, pretty blue flames :bse

Just kidding about the flames on the hands, yall. Well, not totally :clap

It can burn, and lights fairly easily.

Doctari.

DebW
12-13-2003, 12:46
A short note about hand sanitizer: the alcohol ones are flamable. It' s fun to put it on my hands & light it, pretty blue flames :bse

Just kidding about the flames on the hands, yall. Well, not totally :clap

It can burn, and lights fairly easily.

Doctari.

Multipurpose. Hand sanitizer and fire starter. Gotta love that.

ATN2N
12-28-2003, 00:03
Definitely,
Can't speak for using them on the trail yet but I teach and there are all kinda cooties around and the liquid types have helped me stay healthy. Great way to freshen up after "pit stops."

Skyline
12-28-2003, 09:45
No need to spend $$ for Purell. Rubbing alcohol serves the purpose. Just use one of those small containers Campmor sells and put a few ounces in there. Keep the larger bottle in your bounce box. The key to both is to make sure the lids are tight and fit well.

Alcohol on the feet also a good thang.

Personally, I like the wintergreen alcohol, YMMV.

weary
12-28-2003, 11:13
I'm old fashioned, I know, but I keep a large bar of Ivory soap in my bounce box and cut chunks off as needed. I use it for hands, body, my spoon and pot, occasional laundry, whatever seems critical to wash at the time.

Despite, trail rumors to the contrary, the suds are totally harmless to most things larger than a bacteria, and fully compatible with LNT. I do dump them well away from water bodies, though even that has more to do with aesthetics and political correctness, than environmental necessity.

Weary

Sand Crab
12-28-2003, 11:27
I vote for the isopropyl alcohol. A great sanitizer, fire starter, disinfectant for scratches/blisters, cleans ears, cools insect stings, toughens skin, softens callouses, glass cleaner, and probably other things I haven't even thought of yet. All in a tiny bottle.

Sleepy the Arab
12-28-2003, 15:44
Any brave souls out there eschew the hand sanitizer? Aside from myself, that is.

I guess my big problem with the sanitizers is that while they kill 99.9% of evil germs, .1% - the sanitizer resistant ones - are left to breed.

I'm willing to bet a little common sense protects better than goo in a plastic bottle.

Peaks
12-28-2003, 17:32
Any brave souls out there eschew the hand sanitizer? Aside from myself, that is.

I guess my big problem with the sanitizers is that while they kill 99.9% of evil germs, .1% - the sanitizer resistant ones - are left to breed.

I'm willing to bet a little common sense protects better than goo in a plastic bottle.

Soap, hand sanitizer, Camp suds, Dr. Bonners. I suspect that they all do about the same. The bottom line is that people get the trots and worse along the trail probably because of poor hygiene. So, for your own health, I suggest that you do something. Soap, Camp suds, and Dr. Bonner all need water. Hand sanitizer doesn't.

Like everything else, there are choices. So, figure out what works for you.