PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall-100 Mile "Wilderness"

Kirby
12-07-2007, 20:30
When I was hiking through the wilderness this summer, there was a really cool waterfall, I believe, in the frist 10-15 miles, does anyone have any idea which one I am talking about?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 20:32
Little Wilson Falls

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 20:43
Very likely Wolf's answer. There are plenty in the 100 mile though.

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 20:47
Very likely Wolf's answer. There are plenty in the 100 mile though.

the only other place that resembles falls is cooper brook

Kirby
12-07-2007, 20:48
Little Wilson Falls

Thanks Wolf.

Kirby

Kirby
12-07-2007, 20:49

Wilson Falls is the pretty tall water fall that is very steep with a pretty flat top right?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 20:50
Wilson Falls is the pretty tall water fall that is very steep with a pretty flat top right?

Kirby

yup. 3.5 miles north of Maine 15

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 20:50
One of my all time favorites, especially if you're willing to climb down to it. I always am!!:)

Pedaling Fool
12-07-2007, 20:51
Here's a pic (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20477&original=1&c=563) of it. I need to go back and get a better pic, this one does not do justice to the sheer drop-off and the deep gorge of Little Wilson.

JAK
12-07-2007, 20:53
Waterfalls in the woods are very mystical places I think.
Margaret and I stayed and Tweedle-Dee Tweedle-Dum falls last summer.
Another good memory. Need some more like that while we can.
She was the Tweedle-Dee of course.

Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee
Resolved to have a battle,
For Tweedle-dum said Tweedle-dee
Had spoiled his nice new rattle.

Just then flew by a monstrous crow,
As big as a tar barrel,
Which frightened both the heroes so,
They quite forgot their quarrel.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 20:55
barrle and quarrel don't rhyme :p

Kirby
12-07-2007, 20:56
Here's a pic (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20477&original=1&c=563) of it. I need to go back and get a better pic, this one does not do justice to the sheer drop-off and the deep gorge of Little Wilson.

That's it, do you all think it would be pushing to take an average group of students, some of whom who have never hiked, 6 miles round trip from the cabin to the falls and back to the cabin in one day? This would be done the week of the 17th of this month.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 20:58
what cabin?

JAK
12-07-2007, 20:59
Depends mostly on the size of the group I think.
My 8 year old could do it, but that would be just her and me.
A large group of high school students I would find much tougher.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 21:02
I'm not sure the season is right to attempt that with possible novice hikers in Maine. Maybe april or early May. Might be more poignant then also as you will be closer to starting your hike and they will be approaching a summer of deciding what to do with their time - maybe hike?

Lone Wolf
12-07-2007, 21:04
yup. 3.5 miles north of Maine 15

oops. math was wrong. it's 6.8 miles from the road

weary
12-07-2007, 21:29
what cabin?
Yeah, I don't know of any "cabins" between Monson and Abol Bridge. From Route 15 north of Monson, three miles in is Leeman Brook Leanto -- a three-sided log structure. Nearby are some water falls. Go another 3.5 miles and you have reached Little Wilson Falls. Really spectacular, and easily reached by a groups of reasonably equipped high school students. Just doublecheck for good boots and warm jackets -- and 20 degree sleeping bags, at least -- and a willingness to sleep in those warm jackets.

The next major waterfall if I remember rightly is on Gulf Hagas Stream, another 20 miles or so north.

Weary

JAK
12-07-2007, 21:36
I'm not sure the season is right to attempt that with possible novice hikers in Maine. Maybe april or early May. Might be more poignant then also as you will be closer to starting your hike and they will be approaching a summer of deciding what to do with their time - maybe hike?If these are Maine kids that grew up playing in snow and stuff I think such a day trip would be fine as long as the group is of manageable size and makeup for Kirby to handle. I would say a single vehicle full of friends should be manageable but only Kirby would know for sure. You gotta watch the trip to and from the cabin also, not just cabin to falls. Stuff like what if vehicle doesn't start etc. Winter storm kit in vehicle etc.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 21:41
Good point JAK.

Kirby
12-07-2007, 21:57
what cabin?

Bowdoin Outing Club owns a cabin 1-1.5 miles north of Leeman Brook Lean to, it is roughly 1/4-1/2 mile off the trail, they are letting us borrow it for our trip. The road that leads there is off of ledge hill road, the one near Leeman Brook Lean to on the map, you can drive up a decent ways, and then you walk in the rest of the way, nice cabin too.

It would be me, 3 teachers, I am not sure how many students. For this hike, I may offer, with a teacher, to lead a group of students to the falls for a "longer" hike, as opposed to maybe 2 miles round trip for thosw who want to hike, but not that far.

Kirby

weary
12-07-2007, 23:20
Bowdoin Outing Club owns a cabin 1-1.5 miles north of Leeman Brook Lean to, it is roughly 1/4-1/2 mile off the trail, they are letting us borrow it for our trip. The road that leads there is off of ledge hill road, the one near Leeman Brook Lean to on the map, you can drive up a decent ways, and then you walk in the rest of the way, nice cabin too.

It would be me, 3 teachers, I am not sure how many students. For this hike, I may offer, with a teacher, to lead a group of students to the falls for a "longer" hike, as opposed to maybe 2 miles round trip for thosw who want to hike, but not that far.

Kirby
Just do it. You'll be okay. It'll be sort of a preliminary test. One February, I lead, with the help of a man and wife teacher team, a group of Hyde School kids from Bath to Horns Pond and across the range to Avery Col on Bigelow, the fire warden trail and out.

A school "bust" delayed us. We arrived at the Horns Pond Trail at dusk and discovered it had been discontinued. All the whilte blazes had been painted brown. I urged us to go anyway. We did and arrived at the shelter at midnight, ate supper and slept. The next day we completed the trip without problems. I'm sure that it remains as the adventure of a lifetime for the kids. (at least for me)

WEary

JAK
12-07-2007, 23:37
How would you organize such a group? Just curious what most people suggest. Do you buddy everyone up, or sixes, or classes, or some combination? Chaos might ensue if you volunteered to take a group on the long hike and you are not really sure which way everyone went if one person managed to get lost. What if other students volunteer to lead similar diversions? My military training has a solution for this of course, but not everyone is interested in such things. Works best when everyone is trained that way, and even then not always, and most aren't of course. I presume the teachers have answers for these questions. Make it so Kirby. Cheers.

mudhead
12-08-2007, 08:00
If these are Maine kids that grew up playing in snow and stuff I think such a day trip would be fine as long as the group is of manageable size and makeup for Kirby to handle. I would say a single vehicle full of friends should be manageable but only Kirby would know for sure. You gotta watch the trip to and from the cabin also, not just cabin to falls. Stuff like what if vehicle doesn't start etc. Winter storm kit in vehicle etc.

Lot of imports these days. More indoor action, too.

Take turns breaking trail, don't slide in, have fun.

The sliding in part really bites.