PDA

View Full Version : $300 a month/$10 a day thru hike?????

Biloxi
12-07-2007, 22:11
can this be done and still have a good enjoyable thru hike???

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:13
Depends on how you enjoy and what you enjoy. If that's the money you have and you want to be on the trail, it can be done and you will enjoy.:)

Biloxi
12-07-2007, 22:18
I was just wandering aloud if it has been done and I am sure it could..hostel maybe 1 time a week shower,shave, food, phone, real bed , laundry and resupply and go..keep it simple

4eyedbuzzard
12-07-2007, 22:32
Yeah, if you're a Freegan dumpster diver.

4eyedbuzzard
12-07-2007, 22:43
Just kidding above, but that's going to be a really frugal hike with very little in the way of town food or amenities or contingency money for equipment failures, injury, etc. $1 a mile was pretty standard 30 years ago.

Biloxi
12-07-2007, 22:44
you are saying that for $10 a day one could not complete an enjoyable hike? I think you are wrong..sure you couldn't party and have to make the right choices but I definatly think it's doable

Montego
12-07-2007, 22:47
That's what I'll be doing it on ($10 a day) and it going to work, D***IT!

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:51
you are saying that for $10 a day one could not complete an enjoyable hike? I think you are wrong..sure you couldn't party and have to make the right choices but I definatly think it's doable
For some folks, that is the exact hike they are hoping for. It's been done for even less. Enjoy!!

Biloxi
12-07-2007, 22:57
I think if you minimize town stops and time spent.just did chores got needed food or equipment and hiked on every 7-10 days get a hostle to clean up it;s doable basicaly 10 for food or a needed item and hit the trail.I have access to other $ but was wandering if $10 is a base line need.use the other in emergency situation only.what do ya'll think/??

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:04
Very doable if that's your gig. Although I thought it was mine and the trail showed me different, if it's you, you can do it.

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 00:26
Really, there are multiple threads on this exact topic.

Bottom line, that's not a lot of money. Could you live on $300 a month to cover food, housing, equipment, clothing, entertainment, transportation, communication, while walking over 2,000 miles over the course of 4 to 7 months?

If you could do it, would you enjoy doing it? If you could and would, then yes; otherwise, no. Few people could, even fewer would, but it is theoretically possible. $3,000 - $5,000 is more realistic.

Chaco Taco
12-08-2007, 00:30
Really, there are multiple threads on this exact topic.

$3,000 - $5,000 is more realistic.

Im shootin for $3500 for 09 and 6 months to complete.

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 00:44
Im shootin for $3500 for 09 and 6 months to complete.

If that is really your picture, then you should consider spending $10 on a haircut and saving the other $3,490 for your hike.

Chaco Taco
12-08-2007, 01:09
You are joking right?:D

If that is really your picture, then you should consider spending $10 on a haircut and saving the other $3,490 for your hike.

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 08:44
Didn't we just do this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29971&highlight=1500+hike)?

Peaks
12-08-2007, 08:46
Hiking the trail is basically free. How much you spend is directly related to how much time you spend in towns, and how well you want to live while there.

mrc237
12-08-2007, 08:53

Seems to me your mind is made up so why ask? Check other treads. Good luck and enjoy!

EWS
12-08-2007, 09:36
Didn't we just do this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29971&highlight=1500+hike)?
Group participation was lacking, only 438 responses.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 09:41

not very likely

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 09:45
Group participation was lacking, only 438 responses.

As I recall, the thread went like this....

Yes, you can if you are frugal.

No, you can't because you need beer and pizza.

No, you can't because after bus fare you won't have shoe money.

I like to stealth camp.

Stealth camping is against the rules and you make baby Jesus cry!

You're a jerk.

No, you're a jerk!

EWS
12-08-2007, 09:52
You make Baby-Jesus cry, jerk!

Away in a manger...

Freeleo
12-08-2007, 09:53
the first thread i see when i log on, funny that i was pondering the $$ aspect(maybe not having enough) while driving to work this morning...this thread quickly squashed the doubt for a while...i would rather wait a year and save double the money then try to hike on 10$ a day

Tipi Walter
12-08-2007, 10:08
As I recall, the thread went like this....

Yes, you can if you are frugal.

No, you can't because you need beer and pizza.

No, you can't because after bus fare you won't have shoe money.

I like to stealth camp.

Stealth camping is against the rules and you make baby Jesus cry!

You're a jerk.

No, you're a jerk!

You forgot the Beans and Rice reference . . .

And like Peaks said, hiking the trail is basically free . . . When you said $10 a day, I thought dangit! That's about what I was making when I was working part time. Sounds like a lot to me.

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 10:27
Not everyone has been on Whiteblaze for weeks, months or years. Those of us that are addicted to this "place" have seen everything discussed at some point. When a new member starts they usually start by asking questions that are of a high interest to them... long before they know that we have already figured out all the minute details of every aspect of hiking and stored it into our magic thread vault. They will figure that out if they stay around long enough.

But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground! If you already know all there is to know about a topic... then don't read the threads about that topic. Then you won't feel like they are wasting your time.

Sorry, I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed... just a little grouchy... but we should try to remember that dozens of new members find Whiteblaze every single day. They do not know what we have talked about. Lets be nice.

chief
12-08-2007, 10:52
you are saying that for $10 a day one could not complete an enjoyable hike? I think you are wrong..sure you couldn't party and have to make the right choices but I definatly think it's doableThen why did you ask?

CoyoteWhips
12-08-2007, 10:53
But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground!

Not a bad rant, understandable.

T'other thread weren't even cold, yet, though; still on page 1. :)

My theory is that it is possible to hike on $10 a day. But, I haven't done a thru.

As an example of the variety of standards, NPR: Hungry Planet: What the World Eats (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5005952).

A week of groceries...

Chad: The Aboubakars of Breidjing Camp

Grains & Other Starchy Foods: **
Sorghum ration, unmilled, 39.3 lb; corn-soy blend ration (called CSB), 4.6 lb.

Dairy:
Not available to them.

Meat, Fish & Eggs: $0.58**
Goat meat, dried and on bone, 9 oz; fish, dried, 7 oz. Note: Periodically, such as at the end of Ramadan, several families collectively purchase a live animal to slaughter and share. Some of its meat is eaten fresh in soup and the rest is dried.

Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts: $0.51**
Limes, small, 5; pulses ration, 4.6 lb, the seeds of legumes such as peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and fava beans. Red onions, 1 lb; garlic, 8 oz; okra, dried, 5 oz; red peppers, dried, 5 oz; tomatoes, dried, 5 oz.

Condiments: $0.13**
Sunflower oil ration, 2.1 qt; white sugar ration, 1.4 lb; dried pepper, 12 oz; salt ration, 7.4 oz; ginger, 4 oz.

Beverages:
Water, 77.7 gal, provided by Oxfam, and includes water for all purposes. Rations organized by the United Nations with the World Food Programme.

Food Expenditure for One Week: 685 CFA francs/$1.23
**Market value of food rations, if purchased locally: $24.37

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 10:59
Miss Janet, it is considered good internet etiquette to see if your question has already been asked and answered before posting. Prior conversations ARE available.

On most websites, a repeat question gets a "stiffu n00b" type response. The response here IS welcoming.

Well, technically that thread is different. It's about doing a thru on $1500, this one is about doing one on $10 a day or $300 a month, I'm not sure which.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 11:13
Not everyone has been on Whiteblaze for weeks, months or years. Those of us that are addicted to this "place" have seen everything discussed at some point. When a new member starts they usually start by asking questions that are of a high interest to them... long before they know that we have already figured out all the minute details of every aspect of hiking and stored it into our magic thread vault. They will figure that out if they stay around long enough.

But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground! If you already know all there is to know about a topic... then don't read the threads about that topic. Then you won't feel like they are wasting your time.

Sorry, I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed... just a little grouchy... but we should try to remember that dozens of new members find Whiteblaze every single day. They do not know what we have talked about. Lets be nice.

Biloxi ain't a new member

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 11:34

I think it is hard to know what YOU are going to need before you are actually hiking. But I think $10 a day will be devoted almost 100% to your calorie needs. I know $10 a day doesn't give you the budget for much in the way of creature comforts. Chocolate Milk cost a $1.50 a pint... Ben and Jerry's $5 a pint. Sure, Beer, Pizza, cigarette's, hotels rooms, shuttles, AYCE buffets etc may all seem like things you can do without but most hikers have some VICE that costs them$$

$10 a day doesn't give you much wiggle room for those unexpected things... illness, injury, shoe blowout, etc. I always tell people that I am Psychic... that I can tell them something about their hike and be right 100% of the time...
"EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"
There is no way to plan for every contingency and no way to know what all your needs will be. I have seen hundreds of people bewildered that a third to half their money is gone a month into the hike.

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 11:38
Not a bad rant, understandable.
T'other thread weren't even cold, yet, though; still on page 1. :)
My theory is that it is possible to hike on $10 a day. But, I haven't done a thru.
As an example of the variety of standards, NPR: Hungry Planet: What the World Eats (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5005952).
A week of groceries...
Dairy:
Not available to them.

Goat meat, dried and on bone, 9 oz; fish, dried, 7 oz. Note: Periodically, such as at the end of Ramadan, several families collectively purchase a live animal to slaughter and share. Some of its meat is eaten fresh in soup and the rest is dried.
Limes, small, 5; pulses ration, 4.6 lb, the seeds of legumes such as peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and fava beans. Red onions, 1 lb; garlic, 8 oz; okra, dried, 5 oz; red peppers, dried, 5 oz; tomatoes, dried, 5 oz.
[]Condiments: $0.13**[/B]
Sunflower oil ration, 2.1 qt; white sugar ration, 1.4 lb; dried pepper, 12 oz; salt ration, 7.4 oz; ginger, 4 oz.
Beverages:
Water, 77.7 gal, provided by Oxfam, and includes water for all purposes. Rations organized by the United Nations with the World Food Programme.

Try finding this stuff at the little gas station in Podunk which happens to be your only choice for a resupply. And look at the calories provided by these foods... They would be pretty good if you weren't burning 5-6,000 calories a day.

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 11:39
Biloxi ain't a new member

Not NEW...

Where is that picture anyway??? I know I have it here somewhere???

Biloxi
12-08-2007, 14:16
:eek: I was just wondering how hard it would be to do for the $10.I know it can .that's not all I got to work with but would love to be thrifty and spend where nessacery but save when available.and NO I am not a NEW member here Biloxi/Donjuan70 same person been here a while.sorry to revive an old thread didn't know there was already 1 on this.was just looking for some input on things to skip and places you must see.didn;t wanna start a whine fest..thanks DON

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 14:33
A week of groceries...

Dairy:
Not available to them.

Condiments: $0.13**

Beverages:

My local grocer was fresh out of "Goat meat, dried and on bone", and 51 cents got me one medium apple. Oxfam and the U.N. haven't opened a store near me yet.;)

Appalachian Tater
12-08-2007, 14:44
was just looking for some input on things to skip and places you must see.

You didn't ask for that. No doubt if you ask for that you would get it.

Don't skip Maine. Stop in Duncannon for groceries and a burger at the Doyle but don't sleep there.

humunuku
12-08-2007, 15:48
not that this is hiking, BUT I met some cyclist riding acorss the country and they are no more than $5/day...they seemed happy.

Montego
12-08-2007, 16:16
IMHO, staying interested in, being happy with, or enjoying your hiking experience is a "mind-set". As long as one has the means to stay safe and healthy (shelter, fire, food, hydration, nutrition, etc.) then money, per se, is secondary. Granted, being able to "party" with other hikers in towns would be nice, but not necessarily required. Each person has to decide what is important to them. If your idea is mostly to party (ala spring break) then try Ft. Lauderdale or Cancun (a lot more fun - a lot less stress).

Jack Tarlin
12-08-2007, 17:09
Biloxi:

I think other people have pretty much covered this one, and yeah, you should check out that other thread. There are quite a few good comments there and ideas on hiking on a budget, etc.

The simple answer to your question is that yes, once can absolutely hike on an $1800.00 budget, but in order to do so, you'll have to be extremely disciplined with your town time; your spending when off the Trail; and you better be prepared to go without a lot of things that other hikers take for granted. Can it be done? Sure. But it requires a degree of self-discipline and austerity that most people don't want to commit themselves to, and that most people are probably incapable of adhering to.

Panzer1
12-09-2007, 12:41
The other thread was one where a guy wanted to thru on $1500. In this thread the guy seems to want to do a thru on $1800. (guessing at 180 days x $10 a day) Thats a little better but not much.

Rather that saying "yes" or "no" I think it would be better to answer by expressing your odds of doing a thru on $1800. No matter how much money you have you don't have a 100% chance of finishing. I think the odds of finishing on $1800 are better that the odds of finishing on $1500. And the odds of finishing on $1500 were slim.

Panzer

ps wait and your going to see another thread about a guy who wants to thru on $2000. It will keep going up a few hunderd bucks at a time until it gets to a reasonable level.

Biloxi
12-09-2007, 13:11
well actually I have around 3 possIbly 4 by then ..but was thinking of trying to have some left, at end and save during,, live a little harder push my self.do with out those 5 town burgers or night of drinking or multiple nights in a hostel.maybe 1 every week to 10 days to feel human again then head back out.eat what I need and just walk.repair gear wear nessacerry.not that I wont indulge in some fun but I cant blow it in towns..it can and has and will be done .thanks to those who left real helpful comments.thank you

stranger
12-10-2007, 21:26
Considering how easy it is to resupply in towns and how frequent towns are along the AT it's difficult to stick to a limited budget. If most hikers spend about $3000-$4500 on a typical thru-hike, and hit a town every 40-70 miles, then common sense says if you go to every other town you can probably manage on $1800.

The real thing to think about though is will you have the discipline to walk by places like Neels Gap, NOC, that are right on the trail when it's pissing down with rain? Most people will not. But if from experience, you know you can easily go 100 miles without resupply and don't mind carrying 2-3 days extra food then I'm sure it can be done. Fun, however, is another question.

River Runner
12-13-2007, 02:51
How good is your tolerance for Ramen and oatmeal? :D

Those can usually be picked up for free in any hiker box!

88BlueGT
12-15-2007, 14:32
I dont plan on skimmping when I get into towns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to splurge but like posted above. If I want to eat ice cream, stop by a bar and get pizza afterwards I want to be able to do that without worrying about running out of money. Thats why Im going to eat cheap on the trail whenever I can...

Ramen FTW! :)

TinAbbey
12-15-2007, 15:25
biloxi, I don't think you can necessarily plan on spending every 7-10 days in a hostel on that budget. Hostel prices do vary though. what may work is staying somewhere just before town one nite, go into town for the day and hike out once you've seen it all and hike out to your next shelter/campsite.

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 14:59
Towns kill you, it's true.

I did see on the ATC's 2,000 miler application that they had a box you could check if you're reporting doing the hike on $2000 or fewer - so they obviously think it can be done. (I'm sure that's after all the initial gear purchases, but I'm not sure if it counts a new pair of $70 sneakers a couple times during the trip).

I'm sure you can do it, I'd just say:
*Don't get alcohol
*Don't go to a restaurant
*Get sandwiches from the grocery store instead of the restaurant
*Use hiker-boxes, and ask around: P.O.'s sometimes even have one! I've found Lipton Sides in hiker boxes a few times!
*Camp a couple miles from town/civilization with the intent of getting up earlier, getting into town early, and being able to get everything done w/o staying the night in a motel - or at least that keeps you from spending 2 nights!
*Stay longer in cheaper places - you can have more fun there than in lots of the pricier places. Greasy Creek, Abby's Place, Kinkora, Damascus' "The Place", Blackburn Trail Center, the Doyle (cheap for hotel), Rob's in Dalton MA, Chet's in Lincoln, NH all come to mind. (donations requested should always be paid though of course!!)
*Don't pay the $85 to stay in a hut - do the work-for-stay instead. ;)

Good luck, you can do it!

- Sudoku

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 18:17
There's a name that comes to mind when I think of allegedly penniless hikers who opt to "stay longer in cheaper places."

The word is free-loader.

And funny thing......they always have money for beer, pizza, and weed at these places.

And the Donation Box is always empty the day they finally leave.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 18:21
There's a name that comes to mind when I think of allegedly penniless hikers who opt to "stay longer in cheaper places."

The word is free-loader.

And funny thing......they always have money for beer, pizza, and weed at these places.

sounds like most of the twits that stayed at The Place this year

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 19:32

The word is free-loader.

What's with all the pessimism on the forums lately???

When I gave Rob Bird in Dalton, MA a donation he told me that he's gotten way too much. He even wanted to give it back; I did insist because I'm not a "free-loader"... but he said hikers have been far too generous, and then pledged to me that all this money he's getting is going back to the hikers, somehow.

There a piece of good news, so that we aren't all drowning in sorrows here!

(for the record, I never advocated penniless hikers staying at a suggested donation place - if you can't donate, I suggest you go home! or find some way to work for stay if they'll agree to it! I do believe in my previous post I did write "donations requested should always be paid though of course!!")

- Sudoku

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 19:34
Remarking on facts and truth is not necessarily "pessimism".

It's merely remarking on facts and truth.

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 19:35
sounds like most of the twits that stayed at The Place this year

I'm not going to say The Place got the correct amount of donations -- I'd have no way of knowing that.

I will say that when I was there a couple people took all the dirty dowels in the bin (you're supposed to donate extra for each towel you use, I think it was 50c, for laundry costs) and took them all and did a wash at the laundromat - just out of the kindness of their heart. There is good out there, not everyone is trying to skimp and cheat.

- Sudoku

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 19:38
Remarking on facts and truth is not necessarily "pessimism".

It's merely remarking on facts and truth.

Selectively mentioning only negative facts and truth is pessimism. I have bad stories of people on the trail. I have good stories of people on the trail. There have been a disproportionately high percentage of negative stories. When there is a greater percentage of negative facts and truths than actually occured, it is pessimism.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 19:38
Sudoku:

You're right. What those people did was great, and I wished it happened more often.

But I've also been in hostels where there was six bucks found in the box ten minutes after 14 people left, some of whom had been there for days..

Wolf lives in Damascus and knows the people who run The Place. I assure you that this sort of thing happens on a daily basis......someone volunteering to pay out of pocket to do all the hostel towels happens a couple times a summer.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 19:42
It's not "selectively mentioning" facts.

Ever run a hostel, Sudoku, or taken in lots of people to your home? I bet you haven't.

News to Sudoku: If there's a disprportionate ammount of stories out there regarding bad behavior, maybe it's cuz there's a disproportionately large numer of jerks out there as well.

Spend a couple of months this summer taking in a dozen hikers a day, and then get back to us with all your stories of good cheer, fellowship, and thoughtfulness.

Don't get me wrong......I absolutely salute the folks who do this every year, especially the ones who do it out of their homes. But most of these folks get taken advantage of horribly, and to pretend it doesn't happen, or to think that these negative stories are "selective" and rare is simply untrue.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 19:42
I'm not going to say The Place got the correct amount of donations -- I'd have no way of knowing that.

I will say that when I was there a couple people took all the dirty dowels in the bin (you're supposed to donate extra for each towel you use, I think it was 50c, for laundry costs) and took them all and did a wash at the laundromat - just out of the kindness of their heart. There is good out there, not everyone is trying to skimp and cheat.

- Sudoku

yes. you're right. most thru-hikers do the right thing. i live in a trail town though and see a lot bad s**t from the waves that come through this town

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 20:15
Like I said, I will not pretend to know the frequency and amount of donations.

As far as having a hostel open all summer... I can only think of the homes I visited and what the owners said.

I was at Chet's for three nights he said he loved it. Three different people cooked dinner for everyone in the house, including Chet, Jenn, and Travis, every night I was there.

Rob Bird also reported glowing results - certainly nothing about counting silverware each night. He said his stove was taking a beating from all the use and that he shouldn't have bought a new flat-range... that seemed to be his only lament.

If you're going to insist to me that I had an abberation-of-kindness hike, then I guess I can't argue with it. Maybe I just discount some bad things and count all the good twice. :)

- Sudoku

Jack Tarlin
12-17-2007, 20:21
You were fortunate enough to stay with some really special people!!

Unfortunately, most of these folks burn out on hikers after a few years and move on to other things.

Lone Wolf
12-17-2007, 20:22
Like I said, I will not pretend to know the frequency and amount of donations.

As far as having a hostel open all summer... I can only think of the homes I visited and what the owners said.

I was at Chet's for three nights he said he loved it. Three different people cooked dinner for everyone in the house, including Chet, Jenn, and Travis, every night I was there.

Rob Bird also reported glowing results - certainly nothing about counting silverware each night. He said his stove was taking a beating from all the use and that he shouldn't have bought a new flat-range... that seemed to be his only lament.

If you're going to insist to me that I had an abberation-of-kindness hike, then I guess I can't argue with it. Maybe I just discount some bad things and count all the good twice. :)

- Sudoku

move to trail town, open a hostel then talk to me in 2 years :D

Sudoku
12-17-2007, 20:30
Actually Rob had an interesting idea... he said he didn't put himself in the guidebook because he figured hikers will only tell good hikers about the "donation open-house" hostels and that you won't tell someone about it if you know they'll cheat the guy. Interesting theory...

- Sudoku

JAK
12-17-2007, 21:51
Why live in town like a bum when you can live in the woods like a king?

Kirby
12-17-2007, 22:20
Why live in town like a bum when you can live in the woods like a king?

There are towns on the trail I would consider living in.

Kirby

OregonHiker
12-17-2007, 23:27

Kirby

For sure...

But what are the employment possibilities at the typical trail town whether it be PCT, AT or CDT, etc. ?

For the most part I would imagine the income potential is probably limited.

greg burke
12-17-2007, 23:44
Thank you Miss Janet

JAK
12-17-2007, 23:48

KirbyI don't think that was my point.

JAK
12-18-2007, 00:08
My point was simply that if my funds were limited or I wanted to be frugal I would only go to town to:

a. initial resupply/recon of grocery stores / markets.
b. do some reading in the local library to add to my field notes
c. perhaps a little sightseeing along the way
d. final resupply grocery stores / markets which might include stuff for a special feast when I get back on the trail, including bread, wine, cheese, meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, whatever.

Thus my statement, why bum around town when you can live like a king on the trail. If there was a cheap local hangout, like a coffee house with live music, or chess, or whatever, then I might hang for awhile, but only if it was within my budget. I would try and wash myself and my clothes before going to town. Failing that, I would at least wash myself and a laundromat would be my first stop. On the trail I think I can get along with anyone and everyone. In town I would simply feel more comfortable hanging around folks on the same budget and patrons that cater to them. That isn't freeloading. That's just being civil.

Summer95
12-18-2007, 02:08
The original question was "$300 a month/$10 a day thru hike; can this be done and still have a good enjoyable thru hike?"

The short answer is ‘yes’.

The longer answer is this. Sure, you can thru hike on $10 a day and still have a good enjoyable hike. However, as everyone has pointed out – I’ll not regurgitate the list again – there are a lot of things you’ll have to forego. Principally, the things one does in a town.

There are three things you cannot forego. In no particular order they are food, medical needs and gear. There are two other things you will not want to forego (although you could). They are clean clothes and a clean you. And I can personally attest that your co-hikers will not want you to forego these last two items.

There are places like Ron Haven’s Budget Inn in Franklin where you can shower and wash your clothes for a few dollars. I’ve heard it was about $5-$6. I haven’t hiked enough of the AT to know all the places where you can do this, but I suspect that they become more expensive as you travel north. The "Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers Companion" will provide some leads. You can buy a copy for about $15 or get it for free online. I recommend getting a copy and carrying it with you on your hike. Since you will not be stopping in trail towns, you will probably make better time. Let’s say you hike the trail in 5 months and you get cleaned up every week. That’s 21 showers and laundry. If – and this is a big ‘if’ – you could shower and do laundry for $6, your cost for this is $126 for your thru hike.

Now for food, medical needs and gear. You’ll probably have to replace your shoes at least once during your hike. Maybe two or three times. You could buy these before you begin you hike and have them mailed to you. I would only do this if you got them at a good sale price. There are three problems that I can think of related to buying shoes ahead of time. One, you may find that the shoes you bought aren’t the right ones for you. Having a second pair of poor fitting shoes waiting for you when the first pair wore out would be a real bummer. Two, you’ll have to add the cost of mailing the shoes. Three, your feet will increase in size. I’ve heard everything from a half shoe size to two sizes. Shoes that fit correctly are a must. I’d plan to buy the shoes along the way. You aren’t likely to find them on sale, but chances are that they’ll fit better. As for other gear, you should plan to carry some duct tape and nylon string and make repairs as needed. You really aren’t going to have the money to replace gear.

If you have medical needs along the trail, I positively, absolutely and without reservation recommend that you attend to those needs. Chances are that you’re going to have some ailment during your thru hike. Probably sore muscles, knees, ankles, hip or an infected blister. Depending on the severity of the pain you can slow down your pace and hike shorter days for two or three days. The problem may resolve itself. If it doesn’t, and it’s really bothersome, then you need to seek medical assistance. Don’t try to "tough it out!" For every story I’ve heard of a hiker who "toughed it out" and the problem went away after a few days, I’ve heard ten stories of hikers who "toughed it out" and eventually had to get off the trail because the problem persisted and often got much worse. Often to the point of unbearable. If you have medical problems, you need to deal with them responsibly.

The last item is food and nutrition. In theory you can hike the trail for less than $100 for food during a six month hike. Remember, I said "in theory." Here’s the reality of that theory. When planning a low cost thru hike food budget, you have to think of food in terms of "cost of calories per hiked mile." The lowest cost I know of is rice. You can buy a 50 pound bag of rice for $13.16 at Sam’s. I’m sure Costco and similar stores will have prices in the same range. That 50 pounds of rice is 800 ounces. One serving is two ounces, so there are 400 servings per bag. That two ounce serving will give you 190 calories and 3.4 grams of protein. You’ll need 16 servings every-single-day (can you just feel yourself trying to choke all that rice down after a month or two) to get 3040 calories and 54 grams of protein. The calories will be OK if you have some body fat, but that amount of protein will not be sufficient to rebuild your body every night while you sleep. On the brighter side you food cost is only $0.53 per day. For a six month hike, the cost is $94.75. (I’ll not even mention the pain involved in carrying a 50 pound bag of rice on your back, in addition to all your other get, when you leave town following a "food re-supply.")

Here’s an example of a more realistic diet for one day:

1 apple – 5.5 oz - $0.50 – 80 calories – 0 g protein
1 pkg Cheese-It – 1.25 oz - $0.32 – 180 calories – 4 g protein
1 pkg StarKist Albacore white tuna - $7 oz - $2.32 – 245 calories – 49 g protein
2 packets of Mayonnaise – 0.84 oz - $0.08 – 180 calories – 0 g protein
8 Keebler Club Crackers – 1 oz - $0.18 – 140 calories – 2 g protein
Kraft Mild Cheddar Cheese – 2 oz - $0.88 – 240 calories – 12 g protein
Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini – 4 oz – $1.29 – 460 calories – 16 g protein
Rice – 8 oz - $0.21 – 760 calories – 14 g protein
El Mexicano Conchita Shells – 7 oz - $0.26 – 735 calories – 21 g protein

Notes about food cost. All of these costs are real based on in mid-2007 prices. Most are found in Wal-Mart.
* Cheese-It are in packs of 12.
* Tuna is in the 7 oz foil pouch.
* Mayonnaise packets were bought in bulk.
* Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini. This comes in an 8 ounce package. There are lots of brands and varieties. The cost is about the same.
* The rice used for the more reasonable diet comes in a 4 pound bag and cost $1.70.
* El Mexicano Conchita Shells are a brand of small pasta shells. There were four different brands in the Wal-Mart I checked. They were all 7 oz packages and cost $0.25 to $0.28 per package. Then name brand macaroni shells were about the same price based on dollars per 1000 calories.
* I have deliberately left out things like Pop-Tarts (I can’t eat one, much less several of them for days and weeks on end) GORP or Gatorade.

In total, this is 36.7 oz of food before cooking, 3020 calories and 118 grams of protein at a cost of $6.04. This is $181 per month or $1086 for a six month hike.

No where in all this have I addressed the question of salt and pepper (these are really cheap) or butter to improve the taste of all that rice or the cost of fuel or any other incidentals. I suspect, but have not done the cost analysis, that a Pepsi stove is the cheapest way assuming you carried fuel. I have no concept of what that cost might be. If you don’t carry fuel, you could use the existing fire ring and use a chimney to burn small twigs as a fuel source. A chimney is light weight metal tube about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and about the same height. Many years ago, and before I had heard of Leave No Trace, we would dig a 4 to 5 inch diameter hole, about 6 inches deep and put leaves and twigs in it for fuel. You could cook anything on ever the wettest days. Since most fire rings will not be in the covered portion of the shelter, you will not be able to cook this way when it’s raining. You should carry some fuel and a Pepsi stove as a backup plan. For the record, I do not advocate the chimney method of cooking noted above. If the impact were only you or I, then it isn’t a real issue. Multiply that by 2000 hikers or more and you begin to have a real problem.

I have not addressed complete nutrition. That is, vitamin C, B5, B6, etc. You will certainly need a supplement on he rice diet. The CVS brand is $7.19 for 100 tablets. That’s 7.2 cents per day for one tablet or about $13 over a six month hike. I would probably take 2 – 4 per day. I suggest that you do the due diligence to better understand your supplemental nutritional requirements. This may include a conversation with your doctor. Like other medical issues, this is not a good place to skimp dollars. Indeed, practicing good nutrition from the get-go may prevent other medical problems during your hike.

Another cost that I haven’t addressed is transportation to and from each end of the trail. Or rides into town. My experience is that most people will offer a ride and do not expect any compensation in return. However, if this is your expectation, then it’s "freeloading." I concur with most of the opinions express in this thread about freeloading. Don’t do it! You should have some money to offer the person giving you a ride. They may not accept it, but you should make a sincere offer. Otherwise, plan to walk to and from towns.

Based on the few post you’ve made in this thread, it sounds like you are planning your hike in the right spirit and that you have the right perspective on your hike. More money and a lighter pack can certainly translate into a more enjoyable hike, but at the end of the day, if your heart, soul and mind do not want to be hiking, then you will not enjoy your hike.

JAK
12-18-2007, 08:47
If someone offers you a ride and you accept is it really freeloading? If that was the case then I would not accept any ride in the first place. Life doesn't always have to be about money. I think it would be more fitting to return a favour to another stranger down the road. If always in the red when it comes to doing favours then I think a person needs to slow down and do some honest good in this world. A thru-hike seems to me like an excellent opportunity to do so. There must be countless opportunities in everyday life, but I can't remember the last time I did one myself. Good time of year to think of such things.

Appalachian Tater
12-18-2007, 08:48
1. You can't always shower and do laundry for $6. Certainly not staying in Ron Haven's motel or any other motel or hotel.
2. Your feet may or may not increase in size. Mine didn't, but they were already flat.
3. You may have medical needs greater than a blister, such as Lyme's, a spider bite, a fractured arm, stress fractures, infected toes. All of these were actual problems were encountered by thru-hikers I met.
4. Your food costs are based on the lowest prices one could find but don't include postage. You won't usually find such prices on the trail. Your food costs are about 2/3 of your budget. On such a budget, you are going to be eating a lot of cheap carbs and oil, in reality. Three-cheese tortellini? You'll be able to afford that only at a Wal-mart. There are several but not at every resupply, not even close. But you will be using Wal-mart for your clothing and equipment purchases on that budget.
5. I never paid for a hitchhike even though I frequently offered. My experience was the people who are brave enough to pick up a hitchhiking hiking bum certainly aren't doing it for the money and are even a little insulted by the offer. I did try to give good answers to any questions they put to me.

JAK
12-18-2007, 10:07
I think people need to learn to shop for groceries.
Those aren't groceries. I'm not even sure if some of it is food.