PDA

View Full Version : The THINK button - A MUST READ (please)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 22:26
White Blazers, Blue Blazers, Thru-Hikers, Section Hikers, Billvillains, and, yes, even Contra Dancers,

Please hit the THINK button before the ENTER button.

We, as in you and me and everyone in between, can make White Blaze the best board on the net if we only try a little harder. And no, I am not affiliated with WB nor do I claim to be an angel of the net. I am affiliated with hiking. I think you are, too.

As hikers who enjoy associating with one another, I would hope we come to White Blaze to share and learn, not argue and bicker. It appears many of the more vocal WB'ers are becoming less acrimonious, but I would suggest we could all benefit if we simply reviewed what he typed and hit that "think" button before the "enter" button. Please, just try the think button, otherwise called "preview post", below and pretend you are the audience, that's all I ask. I am not asking anyone to avoid wise cracks, busting chops, yanking chains or having a little fun. I am asking you to be reasonable, respectful and simply civil to your fellow hiker regardless of experience or beliefs. In effect, I am only asking what the White Blaze moderators are asking in the usage agreement (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement).

So discuss away, share or learn or both. If you disagree, challenge the idea not the person. If you agree, say so and why. If you have another idea, speak up. Sometimes a quick Google supports your position or maybe you will learn differently. Be open. Promote new ideas or thoughts. Listen to other ideas and think about them. Build on positive energy. Avoid negative energy.

Will you join me in this challenge?

Please join me in helping make our outstanding moderators jobs a little easier by showing each other the same respect you show them, especially SGT Rock, Dixi and Dino.

Just be :cool:

Thank you and hike on.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:29
Shut up jerk. Nobody likes you you stupid-headed blue-blazin liberal hippie muffin-brain.
Tin Man - hope this helps by contrast. I'm with ya.:)

Montego
12-07-2007, 22:29
Agreed.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:31
Shut up jerk. Nobody likes you you stupid-headed blue-blazin liberal hippie muffin-brain.

Agreed.
Hmmmmm....

Just kidding.

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 22:32
Well said. Lots of luck. (so sad that it wont actually take hold.)

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:34
Oh but it can if you believe.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 22:38

It will take hold if the believers hold their tongue and ignore the non-believers. Will you join me?

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 22:41
im with ya, but theres over 1000 others that you have to convince!

Montego
12-07-2007, 22:44
Hmmmmm....

Just kidding.

Oops! Sorry warraghiyagey, my post was in agreement with the original post by tin man. Slow posting (I'll blame it on the computer even if it's not so) LOL :D

JAK
12-07-2007, 22:51
Just read this. I'm probably more guilty than most for just conversing away in flow of conciousness mode like it was more of a chat line than a bulletin board. Yea, I'll try and go for more quality and less quantity. Now where is that think button? Oh, gotta go advanced. OK. There it is. Hey, might as well add a banana while I'm at it.
:banana

Bingo. Found a few typos and some pagination improvement. I'm gonna like this. I gotta work on limiting quantity too though. Cheers.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 22:52
Just read this. I'm probably more guilty than most for just conversing away in flow of conciousness mode like it was more of a chat line than a bulletin board. Yea, I'll try and go for more quality and less quantity. Now where is that think button? Oh, gotta go advanced. OK. There it is. Hey, might as well add a banana while I'm at it.
:banana

Bingo. Found a few typos and some pagination improvement. I'm gonna like this. I gotta work on limiting quantity too though. Cheers.

Thank you JAK.

Who's next?

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 22:54
Oops! Sorry warraghiyagey, my post was in agreement with the original post by tin man. Slow posting (I'll blame it on the computer even if it's not so) LOL :D

I know dude, I was messing with the quotes for my own enjoyment. I'm with the tin man for sure, but can't help my own brand of humor sometimes.:) :)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 22:56
I know dude, I was messing with the quotes for my own enjoyment. I'm with the tin man for sure, but can't help my own brand of humor sometimes.:) :)

Nothing wrong with a little off the wall humor. I got it. :)

Summit
12-07-2007, 23:04
Count me in! ;)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:10
Count me in! ;)

Awesome! Thanks Summit.

Come on, I know you all want to join. Sign up!

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:18
Tin Man - can you hook this thread up so that when someone's on it they hear the song "Age of Aquarius?" Could help.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:22
Tin Man - can you hook this thread up so that when someone's on it they hear the song "Age of Aquarius?" Could help.

Good idea, but I do not want this to appear too sappy. Have I failed already?

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:25
No way man. It's right on. i just have a fast and loose sense of humor. You're right on and I'm with this concept and have actually been suggesting it for quite some time here now. I'm sure someone here will back me up on this. :) :) :) :)

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:26
And BTW I love the song "Age of Aquqrius".

Montego
12-07-2007, 23:28
Wanting a return to not so comman courtesy (jibbing aside) is never "sappy".

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-07-2007, 23:29
I've found that the application of Rule 62 help:
62. Don't take things or yourself too darn seriously

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:30
No way man. It's right on. i just have a fast and loose sense of humor. You're right on and I'm with this concept and have actually been suggesting it for quite some time here now. I'm sure someone here will back me up on this. :) :) :) :)

I have tried to tone down threads, too. Sometimes it works, sometimes the message is lost in the shuffle. I thought I would try a little harder with this thread. Anyway, let's let it be and see if others join in.

gaga
12-07-2007, 23:32

whit your permission, Tin Man, may i add: Hit it Hard and Hold it down ;)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:33
I've found that the application of Rule 62 help:
62. Don't take things or yourself too darn seriously

Which rule book has 62 or more rules? Any other good ones in there? Generally, I don't like rules, unless they are kind and gentle and open to change. ;)

weary
12-07-2007, 23:34
I'm in if you are Jack T. Well, actually, I've always been in. Haven't I?

Hmmm! You say, I may have weakened on occasion.

Weary

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:34

whit your permission, Tin Man, may i add: Hit it Hard and Hold it down ;)

That works, just don't break it. ;)

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 23:37
I solemnly swear I will not read nor post in the "Politics" forum on Whiteblaze.net since this is a hiking forum.

Summit
12-07-2007, 23:38
One of the downfalls of the anonimity of the Internet is people will say things and treat people in ways they wouldn't dream of doing face-to-face. One might conclude the Internet is seriously eroding social skills. :(

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:39
I have tried to tone down threads, too. Sometimes it works, sometimes the message is lost in the shuffle. I thought I would try a little harder with this thread. Anyway, let's let it be and see if others join in.
What I've said a few times here is that the message is fully dependant on the delivery. I think there will be pages added to this thread in the coming days. Nice work getting it going TM.:)

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 23:42
I learned that when I attended my first SoRuck... you and other people are different in person. Just say what you only would say in person... quit hiding behind the keyboard!

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:48
One of the downfalls of the anonimity of the Internet is people will say things and treat people in ways they wouldn't dream of doing face-to-face. One might conclude the Internet is seriously eroding social skills. :(

Thank you Summit. I thought about introducing this notion. I think one of the things that makes WB unique is that many of the members actually do meet face-to-face on occasion. I thought about how I might react to some of the more belligerent posters if I should attend an event. It was not a pleasant thought in some cases. By encouraging people to show respect here through productive dialogue, perhaps they would be more encouraged to meet in person and continue a respectful exchange of experiences and ideas.

weary
12-07-2007, 23:51
I solemnly swear I will not read nor post in the "Politics" forum on Whiteblaze.net since this is a hiking forum.
Your premise is wrong. White Blaze has been a political forum ever since I arrived, maybe earlier. -- especially when talking about hiking. Politics is what makes this nation a democracy. Politics helps ensure wise governments. If you don't like our form of government go tp Russia or someplace that you do like. :)

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:51
I learned that when I attended my first SoRuck... you and other people are different in person. Just say what you only would say in person... quit hiding behind the keyboard!

Yes indeed. I suggested the preview post button as a chance to take a similar pause that someone would before speaking face-to-face.

warraghiyagey
12-07-2007, 23:53
And there's the crux. To be graceful in the face of bluster. I'm with TM's concept regardless of what shows up on this page.

Tin Man
12-07-2007, 23:54
Your premise is wrong. White Blaze has been a political forum ever since I arrived -- especially when talking about hiking. Politics is what makes this nation a democracy. Politics helps ensure wise governments. If you don't like our form of government go someplace that you do like. :)

Interesting thought Weary, but I think Cuffs was only saying she wanted to avoid some of the more lively discussion by staying out of the "Politics" forums, which is a separate subscription from the hiking forums.

Cuffs
12-07-2007, 23:56
Your premise is wrong. White Blaze has been a political forum ever since I arrived, maybe earlier. -- especially when talking about hiking. Politics is what makes this nation a democracy. Politics helps ensure wise governments. If you don't like our form of government go tp Russia or someplace that you do like. :)

In part you are right Weary. I just wish the theme of a hiking board was more adhered to than a political forum... If I want to participate in a political debate, I go to politic-specific boards. I think is is better suited there.

EWS
12-08-2007, 04:47
And bring an end all to the humor?

I'm waiting on the "Sorry" button.:cool:

camojack
12-08-2007, 05:06
Unfortunately, the basic premise is flawed; some folks do not possess said "THINK" button. :cool:

But it would be a refreshing change... :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 06:08
We could adopt a 'live and let live' attitude toward others and save the 'you must.....' for things that really matter - like backcountry practices that could lead to severe harm or death. I cringe when I see discussions of high-tech gear that suggest that people will die without the gear. Many, many people hiked and lived before all of the new tech-fabrics were invented. No one will experience serious harm or die from taking a blue-blaze trail.

There is a lot of browbeating and posturing that goes on and it detracts from the orderly dissemination of information. The moderation team often hears from inexperienced newcomers who unknowingly ask a 'hot-button' question and then find themselves in the middle of a firestorm. They don't know the history behind the firestorm and are bewildered. Bashing other posters does not prove one's point; it merely suggests that one can't defend the point any other way. Frankly, this behavior has run many, many newcomers away from WhiteBlaze.

Attempts at humiliating other posters do not raise one's credibility among the membership; such attempts simply dilute whatever message one is trying to convey. Numerous posters have told me that they just skip over what certain individuals post because they cannot stomach the vitriol. This is sad because some of those being ignored have a whole lot of knowledge of about trails and backpacking to give.

As for the political forum, I voted with my 'opt out' button some time ago. I'm glad we have the forum so moderators have a place to put such discussions, but I prefer to discuss politics in an environment where ideas and beliefs are the topics and regurgitating the words of various pundits without checking out the validity of whatever is being said isn’t a common practice. There is a lot of misinformation and disinformation out there among pundits. I discuss politics with people who know this and check their facts before stating someone else's view as the truth simply because they like the messenger. Sadly, that isn't WB's political forum.

mudhead
12-08-2007, 07:47
What the lizard said.

Paragraph #3.

This think button doesn't seem to make anything pop into my head.
Must be one of those stoopid pills.

Deadeye
12-08-2007, 08:13
After I flamed someone here, I decided that I would just shut up unless I had something constructive to add, or as Mom always told us: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Nice sentiment, good luck stopping the bickering and cheap shots.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 08:16
A convert here and there will help. A few key converts and we can make real progress.

DAKS
12-08-2007, 08:17
thanks for "stepping up" tin man! i support this idea!

maxNcathy
12-08-2007, 09:50
Im a mn of few wrds, no prob.

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 09:56
I have always thought this was an excellent idea! :D

Use those Think Buttons people!

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 09:58
what a wanker thread :rolleyes:

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 10:02
LW, you're a bad wolf. ;)

chief
12-08-2007, 10:50
WB minus entertainment equals nothing. Yep, a wanker thread for sure.

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 10:52
Chief... your being bad too. ;)

StarLyte
12-08-2007, 10:54

Great thread Tin Man.

Agreed.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 10:59
::: Dino ques theme song from Cops :::

Summit
12-08-2007, 11:06
It's becoming apparent that the "Ready, Fire, Aim" folks at WB are, by their nature, going to be in opposition to this proposal. ;) :p

WalkinHome
12-08-2007, 11:24
I agree with your goal TM. As everyone knows but does not take into account as they write here, our posts lack the cues we would pick up on if we were face to face. You have to consciously phrase your threads in order for them to be taken in the spirit offered. Most folks do not take the time to pre suppose how their post will be perceived (hence the think button is an excellent idea). Although I don't care to use them, the dancing bannanas et al help with this. The other thing that does not advance positive conversation are the witty (and most times not so witty) one liners that are tossed into the fray to do nothing more than stir the pot. My two cents. Drive on.

Skyline
12-08-2007, 11:51
There's a Think Button? :eek:

I was just getting comfortable with that Easy Button i keep seeing on TV. :cool:

Never any good at multi-tasking anyway. :o

bullseye
12-08-2007, 12:11

I was thinking more along the lines of "I've got friends in low places":rolleyes: :D

weary
12-08-2007, 12:30
As for the political forum, I voted with my 'opt out' button some time ago. ...
I know and as a result the quality has declined precipitously.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 12:33
I know and as a result the quality has declined precipitously.Thanks, Weary, but I'm not coming back.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 12:36
what a wanker thread :rolleyes:

Thanks! I knew you could identify with it. ;)

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 12:38

Entertainment is cool. Nastiness to impress others or to wanker yourself is not.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 12:44
Speaking of goodwill and such, the Old Fhart and the Frolicking Dinosaur have officially made up. There is pictorial evidence on the 'Move the AT" thread. :D

Summit
12-08-2007, 12:45
what a wanker thread :rolleyes:And then there's the "fire, never ready, never aim" category!

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 12:47
And then there's the "fire, never ready, never aim" category!

what a wanker statement :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 12:50
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at LW and gives him the 'your in trouble, young man' look :::

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 12:52
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at LW and gives him the 'your in trouble, young man' look :::

certainly ain't the first and assuredly not the last time

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 12:53
Fellow WB'ers, I knew this thread might appear a little maudlin or sappy. However, I only wanted to communicate an idea that Internet discussions do not have to be brawls where the nastier discussions discourage people to learn and share. Do we want WB to be another nasty Internet BB or do we want to set a model of civility setting a higher standard for Internet discussions? It is up to each of us to decide.

Smile
12-08-2007, 12:54
Tin Man, you're cool. It's a great idea and a positive thread.

Positivity is a good thing :)

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 12:56
It's OK Tin Man, I've gotten much the same response when I've suggested it in the past. Don't fret about it. I still think it is a good idea.

EWS
12-08-2007, 12:58
People need not take some crap so seriously. I laughed all morning at the most recent "brawl".

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 13:00
People need not take some crap so seriously. I laughed all morning at the most recent "brawl".

Would you like me to start forwarding you the reported post emails and complaints that fill up our PM's and email boxes? :-?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 13:02
Would you like me to start forwarding you the reported post emails and complaints that fill up our PM's and email boxes? :-?

send them to me. i wanna see who the weenie wankin' rats are

EWS
12-08-2007, 13:02
Yes, if they're about me.

Goes back to, people need not take some crap so seriously, especially in the forums you must opt into.

EWS
12-08-2007, 13:04
You want me to forward you the ones I get? :rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
1) The proper way to hike ...

2) I agree

3) You are a genius

4) But, of course

BORING

Civil people can and should disagree. What tends to happen though is that one person interprets a post that disagrees with their stance and takes it as a personal criticism. Sometimes it's misinterpretation, sometimes the post is poorly worded, sometimes the post IS an "attack", and sometimes people are just over-sensitive, thin-skinned, mad at the world, etc. Makes it very hard to have a civil debate/argument on the merits at times. But it sure isn't unique to WB. And it happens much less often IRL.

dixicritter
Yeah I'm sure you do LW.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 13:05
Yeah I'm sure you do LW.

i'm sure i can name most of the snivelers

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:06
It's OK Tin Man, I've gotten much the same response when I've suggested it in the past. Don't fret about it. I still think it is a good idea.

I know there have been discussions in the past. Similar to LNT principles, they bear repeating from time to time in order for new folk to learn and to remind some of the older folk as well. I thought the Think button idea might make a longer term impression.

And I am not fretting really. I am happy with the responses so far. Hopefully, more people have quietly nodded agreement even if they don't want to admit it publicly, that's fine. The real proof will come in the threads.

CaseyB
12-08-2007, 13:06
What's the 20 on the brawl?? Or is this it now?

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:08
i'm sure i can name most of the snivelers

I am not one. I am just the wanker thread type. :rolleyes:

Jimmers
12-08-2007, 13:13
What's the 20 on the brawl?? Or is this it now?

I think it's in the political forums. Big shock there, I know.:rolleyes: Who needs the script writers for soap operas when you've got the political forums?:D

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:15
1) The proper way to hike ...

2) I agree

3) You are a genius

4) But, of course

BORING

Civil people can and should disagree. What tends to happen though is that one person interprets a post that disagrees with their stance and takes it as a personal criticism. Sometimes it's misinterpretation, sometimes the post is poorly worded, sometimes the post IS an "attack", and sometimes people are just over-sensitive, thin-skinned, mad at the world, etc. Makes it very hard to have a civil debate/argument on the merits at times. But it sure isn't unique to WB. And it happens much less often IRL.

I agree people should disagree. How else do we learn and grow? As stated earlier, we just need to attack the idea, not the person. It is an important distinction and takes a little extra effort, but it can go a long way in getting people to see another viewpoint and perhaps both parties can learn from the process. Blatant personal attacks do not achieve anything except polarizing people and stifling the learning process.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 13:17
I agree people should disagree. How else do we learn and grow? As stated earlier, we just need to attack the idea, not the person. It is an important distinction and takes a little extra effort, but it can go a long way in getting people to see another viewpoint and perhaps both parties can learn from the process. Blatant personal attacks do not achieve anything except polarizing people and stifling the learning process.

start another Wingfoot-like website.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:21
start another Wingfoot-like website.

NNOOOOOO. That is not my point at all. The concept is real simple. Carry on a discussion without dragging it in the mud. Or is that impossible on the net?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 13:24
NNOOOOOO. That is not my point at all. The concept is real simple. Carry on a discussion without dragging it in the mud. Or is that impossible on the net?

pretty much impossible on internet forums without extremely heavy moderation. sounds like you need to find one or start one if your feelings are hurt so easily

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 13:28

I have to agree with LW, it just isn't going to happen. I just ignore(not by using the button) the personal stuff even if directed at me(well, most of the time). You just have to read past all the bickering and try to stay above the fray. The biggest problem I see is that often otherwise interesting threads get shut down when the junk outnumbers the good content.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:34
pretty much impossible on internet forums without extremely heavy moderation. sounds like you need to find one or start one if your feelings are hurt so easily

I appreciate your concern for my feelings, but I am fine really and I like it here. And what's wrong with a little self moderation? I am not asking people to do anything more than they do naturally in a face-to-face conversation. There are already subscription only threads where people can take it "outside" if they want. And besides, why do we have to accept the fact that WB is just another Internet forum filled with rancor and contempt?

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:35
I have to agree with LW, it just isn't going to happen. I just ignore(not by using the button) the personal stuff even if directed at me(well, most of the time). You just have to read past all the bickering and try to stay above the fray. The biggest problem I see is that often otherwise interesting threads get shut down when the junk outnumbers the good content.

Sounds like a good reason to use the think button to me. Of course I realize there will never be a perfect Internet forum, I would just like WB to be a little above some of the other forums, after all we have important topics to discuss. Poles, phones, to stove or not to stove, etc. It really is up to each of us. If we don't want to do it, then fine, I can ignore the ignorance as well as the next guy.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 13:35
you're starting to snivel.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 13:36
You're trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:40
OK fellas. No more sniveling.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:41
You're trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Miss Piggy is a cutie pie.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 13:43
Oink.:)

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 13:47
LW, for the record, my sappy rhetoric is not targeted at you. I think your short responses are mostly thought-provoking and on target.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 13:53
Some people can't cope with thought provoking, they just get provoked.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 14:10
Some people can't cope with thought provoking, they just get provoked.

Good point. Having an open mind is key to reading ideas that differ from one's own. Usually people cling to their own idea, but sometimes they can go in a new direction if they just stop and think.

weary
12-08-2007, 14:12
LW, for the record, my sappy rhetoric is not targeted at you. I think your short responses are mostly thought-provoking and on target.
Sure. Well occasionally maybe. I can remember one like that anyway.

Weary

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 14:18
Sure. Well occasionally maybe. I can remember one like that anyway.

Weary

"Shelters suck" is my favorite. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 14:22
"Shelters suck" is my favorite. ;)

"No," seems quite popular as well.

Summit
12-08-2007, 14:56
Decide for yourself whether you will try to be part of the problem or part of the solution to civility, call it the Golden Rule, here at WB. I considered responding to all the ad nauseam attacks against Tin Man's purpose in starting this thread, but I've decided to hit the "THINK" button! :p :)

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 15:45
Thanks Summit. I did not see any attacks, just an interesting exchange of ideas on whether this could work or not. ;)

Miss Janet
12-08-2007, 16:42
Thanks Tin Man...
I am always the sappy one so maybe we can be partners?:)

The thing to remember is that LOTS of people are finding this website as they starting learning about the AT, hiking, etc. Lots of these people are totally turned off by the negative banter that is often funny only to a few... you know who you are! It would be better if we had "chat rooms" that were separate from the website... Then we could nip and yap at each other all we wanted but it wouldn't be front page of the website. You would actually have to enter the chat rooms and there could be a warning for children.

Wanker enough idea??

Blue Jay
12-08-2007, 16:56

Add me to this the list of being opposed to violin playing, sickly sweet, wanker threads

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 17:01
Thanks Tin Man...

Wanker enough idea??

looking forward to checking out y'alls new boring AT site.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:11
looking forward to checking out y'alls new boring AT site.

I don't want no boring website. Just hoping to reduce the rancor is all. After all, we all be friends here...well some...well a few...maybe. :rolleyes:

Or is that your point, rancor is required to have fun? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 17:15
I don't want no boring website. Just hoping to reduce the rancor is all. After all, we all be friends here...well some...well a few...maybe. :rolleyes:

Or is that your point, rancor is required to have fun? :rolleyes:

where is all this rancor you're crying about? i see it in the political forums. name some names and some threads. SOO many of you are SOO sensitive. put the people that bother you on IGNORE. it's very simple

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:15
Thanks Tin Man...

The thing to remember is that LOTS of people are finding this website as they starting learning about the AT, hiking, etc. Lots of these people are totally turned off by the negative banter that is often funny only to a few... you know who you are! It would be better if we had "chat rooms" that were separate from the website... Then we could nip and yap at each other all we wanted but it wouldn't be front page of the website. You would actually have to enter the chat rooms and there could be a warning for children.

Wanker enough idea??

Thank you Miss Janet. I think it is a great idea and it sounds like the subscription forums for the thick-skinned are already established with this in mind. People could easily take it outside over there...

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:35
where is all this rancor you're crying about? i see it in the political forums. name some names and some threads. SOO many of you are SOO sensitive. put the people that bother you on IGNORE. it's very simple

You know LW, some acknowledged the issue and they agreed to help make it better. The moderators acknowledged the issue and would like to see discussions presented with a little more civility. And, yes, some are perhaps a little sensitive and naive from time to time. That's just the way they are. Look at the "move the AT" thread. Perhaps it started a little naively and went in different and interesting directions, right before it broke down and then people started apologizing for their behavior. That is what I am talking about. Why shouldn't everyone have a chance to be heard and discuss things without fear of personal attack? I imagine it is easy being a Wolf. But that doesn't automatically mean others should also be a Wolf or become prey. (Not saying that you prey on anyone. Just saying not everyone has as strong a personality.)

And the ignore button does not resolve anything. It is far better to ignore a post than a person, as that same person often does share interesting information.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 17:40
this whole thread is a non-issue really. it's no where near as bad as you're making it out to be. it's just the internet. if Whiteblaze went away today, folks are still gonna hike

Jack Tarlin
12-08-2007, 17:45
Tin Man:

While I generally agree with what you're saying, I can't help but notice that some of the folks who are presently up in arms about the strong language and tome of some of the posts here are the very same people who are guilty of making these sorts of posts here themselves, oftenon a daily basis.

In other words, the people doing most of the complaining are, in fact, some of the worst culprits.

It's all well and good for people to want to see more civility here, but one can't be a hypocrite about it......if one doesn't wish to be on the receiving end of strong comments, then one should refrain from making them to others.

And in truth, the strongest comments seem to be on the subscription threads, especially the ones dealing with non-Trail subjects, like the Political section. People are at those threads by their own choice, and they know that things can get heated over there. Nobody is compelled to take part in these discussions, and the best thing for the overly sensitive to do is to probably avoid these discussions altogether. But to intentionally seek out and join a dialogue that one knows might get heated or turbulent......and to then complain about the heat and turbulence one finds there.......well, this seems a bit silly to me.

The best way to miss a heated conversation is to avoid taking part in it, and the best way to avoid being the subject of strong words or personal invective is to refran from doing this yourself when talking to others. But truly, some of the people whining about this have nobody but themselves to blame.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 17:48
this whole thread is a non-issue really. it's no where near as bad as you're making it out to be. it's just the internet.

WB is very mild compared to many DB's.

if Whiteblaze went away today, folks are still gonna hike

if Whiteblaze went away today, more folks might actually hike rather than type about hiking:rolleyes:

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:49
LW, LOL. I was just thinking the same thing. While, my intent was not to blow things out of proportion, some discussions just go that way because people are intent on making their point heard and not trivialized out of existence. That said, I do think that the moderators would like to see some people change their ways.

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 17:50
LW, LOL. I was just thinking the same thing. While, my intent was not to blow things out of proportion, some discussions just go that way because people are intent on making their point heard and not trivialized out of existence. That said, I do think that the moderators would like to see some people change their ways.

start your own website and quit snivelin'

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:53
Jack,

I was hopeful that those guilty whiners you were referring to and who acknowledged the issue in this thread seriously intend to change their ways. Isn't that possible based on what they said?

I agree with you the non-AT forums are a good place to go and have aggressive conversations.

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 17:55
start your own website and quit snivelin'

OK. I said my peace. Now cocktail hour has arrived. Can I buy you a Busch Light? :D

Sly
12-08-2007, 18:13
Just start calling the Think button, the Dumb button, and everyone will be happy! :p

Sly
12-08-2007, 18:21
People are always complaining about the non-AT forums being heated, well yeah, we mostly talk about politics. The best part is, you can unsubscribe if you can't take the heat. That said, I've seen heated discussions in the hiking forums and this is where people need to clean up their acts. I suppose a reminder thread is OK from time to time, but they're generally useless by the end of the day.

Over and out...

camojack
12-08-2007, 18:24
Now THAT is what wankers do...IMO.

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 18:31
Heaven forbid people be nice to each other. Lord knows I sure won't stick my neck out again.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2007, 20:05
.... the strongest comments seem to be on the subscription threads, especially the ones dealing with non-Trail subjects, like the Political section. People are at those threads by their own choice, and they know that things can get heated over there. Nobody is compelled to take part in these discussions, and the best thing for the overly sensitive to do is to probably avoid these discussions altogether. But to intentionally seek out and join a dialogue that one knows might get heated or turbulent......and to then complain about the heat and turbulence one finds there.......well, this seems a bit silly to me.

The best way to miss a heated conversation is to avoid taking part in it, and the best way to avoid being the subject of strong words or personal invective is to refran from doing this yourself when talking to others. But truly, some of the people whining about this have nobody but themselves to blame.
The thing to remember is that LOTS of people are finding this website as they starting learning about the AT, hiking, etc. Lots of these people are totally turned off by the negative banter that is often funny only to a few... you know who you are!
Heaven forbid people be nice to each other. Lord knows I sure won't stick my neck out again.Dixie has taken the word out of my mouth.

Most of you never see the messages from newcomers who leave because of all the rancor - and they aren't subscribed to the non-AT, sensitive trail topic or political forums. I couldn't care less what goes on the political forum or the Sensitive trail topics as long as it doesn't violate the TOS of the site - both contain language warning that your are entering a volatile area. Non-AT forum and its humor forum is frequented by people who are discussing non-hiking related topics. It was never meant to be a bashfest.

It is entirely possible to disagree without being disagreeable. You simply discuss ideas instead of impugning others' character. I personally am leery of people who slam a variety of others on a regular and continuing basis because I know from experience that what offends people the most is seeing their own defects of character in others.

Manach
12-08-2007, 20:15
We could adopt a 'live and let live' attitude toward others and save the 'you must.....' for things that really matter

Very wise. Unfortunately, too many folks don't understand the difference between things that really matter and things that don't.

Hospitality, intelligent discourse, and critical thinking matter. The rest should then come naturally.

mudhead
12-08-2007, 20:26
Dixie has taken the word out of my mouth.

Most of you never see the messages from newcomers who leave because of all the rancor - and they aren't subscribed to the non-AT, sensitive trail topic or political forums. I couldn't care less what goes on the political forum or the Sensitive trail topics as long as it doesn't violate the TOS of the site - both contain language warning that your are entering a volatile area. Non-AT forum and its humor forum is frequented by people who are discussing non-hiking related topics. It was never meant to be a bashfest.

It is entirely possible to disagree without being disagreeable. You simply discuss ideas instead of impugning others' character. I personally am leery of people who slam a variety of others on a regular and continuing basis because I know from experience that what offends people the most is seeing their own defects of character in others.

Post a couple messages from newcomers. "Change the names and places

to protect the innocent." Might dewank the rancor if people saw how it looked through fresh eyes.

babbage
12-08-2007, 20:34
I aint real smart and wurds with mor then six letters scair me.
The way I see it is that some boards are differ'nt then uthers. Try TLB-they are always nice. Or go to boatertalk-they are plumb nasty. Now I cant find the think button so I am going to press the enter button.

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 21:22
That's IT! I've had about all of this Crap I'm going to sit here and read. Y'all have your political area that is totally unmoderated and you dang well know it. We leave you alone, and all we are asking for is a little common decency on the rest of the dadgum site. I honestly don't think that too much to ask for. So stop Your Sniveling and keep the Rancor in the political area already!

weary
12-08-2007, 21:27
Did anyone besides me notice that most of the objectors to a civil discourse on White Blaze are right wing nut cases, who realize that they would be dead without the ability to lie and distort, and call names? I was thinking of taking a poll. But just the naysayers tell me the obvious results.

Weary

Lone Wolf
12-08-2007, 21:29
Did anyone besides me notice that most of the objectors to a civil discourse on White Blaze are right wing nut cases, who realize that they would be dead without the ability to lie and distort, and call names? I was thinking of taking a poll. But just the naysayers tell me the obvious results.

Weary

you're FOS and delusional :D

weary
12-08-2007, 21:32
you're FOS and delusional :D
Now there's an example of constructive criticism. And to think. It's from someone I most admire. Golly life can be complicated on White Blaze

dixicritter
12-08-2007, 21:34
Poster children proving it can be done. ;)

nitewalker
12-08-2007, 21:36
the site is fine as was. i went to th tj site this morning and noticed a thread refering to whiteblaze. i totaly stuck up for wb and then i come on wb and this thread appears. i belive this is definitly a wanker thread.....leave what isnt broken alone; although, refering to calling out one another needs to go if its not in good fun......:D

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 22:24
Now there's an example of constructive criticism. And to think. It's from someone I most admire. Golly life can be complicated on White Blaze

LW is a cynic and is just trying to draw people into a pitched battle to prove his point that nothing can or will change. Don't fall for it.

p.s. I admire the sum-a-gun myself. Go figure. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2007, 23:24
LW is a cynic and is just trying to draw people into a pitched battle to prove his point that nothing can or will change. Don't fall for it.

p.s. I admire the sum-a-gun myself. Go figure. ;)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

p.s. don't feed the wolves, make 'em work for their meals

Tin Man
12-08-2007, 23:40
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

p.s. don't feed the wolves, make 'em work for their meals

I see your quote and raise...

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/what_is_a_cynic-a_man_who_knows_the_price_of/153952.html)”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Oscar Wilde (http://thinkexist.com/quotes/oscar_wilde/)

EWS
12-09-2007, 00:22
So many olive branches burned. :)

pitdog
12-09-2007, 00:29
I never met him but I like him more and more.Good wolf

jlb2012
12-09-2007, 01:34
well Tin Man I have to say that was a pretty good job of trolling - got all sorts of bites and nibbles on that hook and line - some even took the sinker too

take-a-knee
12-09-2007, 01:44
well Tin Man I have to say that was a pretty good job of trolling - got all sorts of bites and nibbles on that hook and line - some even took the sinker too

Hell, I think I hear the reel's drag screamin'!

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 08:46

he's just kissin' admins ass for future indescretions

oldfivetango
12-09-2007, 09:04
Ok.here's my apology to all you people that I have offended.
The good news is that I left the political arena many months ago
and am back on my medication.

Maybe I shouldn't post anymore since I am most definitely
a "right wing nut case."

Now I am off to learn how to strum Kumbaya on my guitar and
learn how to sell carbon credits so that I might further exploit the
environment.

Thanks be to Weary for my wake-up call.:D

I am own my way to re-inventing myself as a new man.
Oldfivetango

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 09:27
he's just kissin' admins ass for future indescretions

Definitely. Why would else who anyone want to limit indiscretions or try to bring out the best in people? :rolleyes:

Sly
12-09-2007, 09:41
That's IT! I've had about all of this Crap I'm going to sit here and read. Y'all have your political area that is totally unmoderated and you dang well know it. We leave you alone, and all we are asking for is a little common decency on the rest of the dadgum site. I honestly don't think that too much to ask for. So stop Your Sniveling and keep the Rancor in the political area already!

These types of posts tend to self destruct, can cause more rancor then there was before them, and really serve no useful purpose. I saw close it. :D

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 09:51
Patience and fortitude can help create a desired outcome. Cynicism and skepticism lead nowhere.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 09:52
These types of posts tend to self destruct, can cause more rancor then there was before them, and really serve no useful purpose. I saw close it. :D

the purpose of threads like this are entertainment

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 09:52
Patience and fortitude can help create a desired outcome. Cynicism and skepticism lead nowhere.

that's deep man. wow

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 09:54
the purpose of threads like this are entertainment

and enlightenment for some ;)

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 09:55
that's deep man. wow

yeah, maybe I need to get my shovel ;)

EWS
12-09-2007, 09:57
Patience and fortitude can help create a desired outcome. Cynicism and skepticism lead nowhere.Jim Jones?:-?

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 09:59
Jim Jones?:-?

Nope. Made it up all by my lonesome.

Lone Wolf
12-09-2007, 10:16
Nope. Made it up all by my lonesome.

he means jim jones the so-called minister who got 900 idiots to drink poison kool-aid. they all died non-believers

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 10:20
For the younger members of the forum: Info on Jim Jones and the Guyana tragedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown)

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 10:22
he means jim jones the so-called minister who got 900 idiots to drink poison kool-aid. they all died non-believers

Yeah, I know. Just did not want to go there.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 10:23
Cynicism and skepticism lead nowhere.
They keep me warm at night.:sun

EWS
12-09-2007, 10:24
The statement was interesting in some ways. I wasn't calling you Jim Jones, Tin Man.

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 10:25
They keep me warm at night.:sun

They can do that too. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 10:25
::: Dino mops coffee off monitor and keyboard after reading Sgt Rock's statement :::

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 14:55
Good Lord, this thread is getting funny.

I especially liked the post by Weary decrying those people who are incapable of being civil......he further said they were incapable of posting here without lying, distorting, or resorting to name calling.

He termed these people "right wing nut cases."

Nice.

Yup, Weary, you're absolutely right. Those incivil people who lie, distort and call other people mean names are indeed pretty shabby.

Um, is there a mirror in your house, Weary? :D

But thanks for proving my original point......the people that are doing the most whining and bitching here about alleged incivility and rudeness to others, are, in fact, some of the worst offenders.

Weary, you came thru like a champ.

STEVEM
12-09-2007, 18:09
Anyway, what the F*** is a Contra Dancer?

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 18:26
In case your google button doesn't work, here is one site that explains what contra dancing is in general...

http://www.sbcds.org/contradance/whatis/

...the specific reference was to a well-known hiker who is a contra dancer and tends to attract a certain element of vigorous discussion. The comment was an attempt at humor for the importance of including all WB'ers regardless of how others might react.

weary
12-09-2007, 18:27
Good Lord, this thread is getting funny.

I especially liked the post by Weary decrying those people who are incapable of being civil......he further said they were incapable of posting here without lying, distorting, or resorting to name calling.

He termed these people "right wing nut cases."

Nice.

Yup, Weary, you're absolutely right. Those incivil people who lie, distort and call other people mean names are indeed pretty shabby.

Um, is there a mirror in your house, Weary? :D

But thanks for proving my original point......the people that are doing the most whining and bitching here about alleged incivility and rudeness to others, are, in fact, some of the worst offenders.

Weary, you came thru like a champ.
Jeez, Jack. I've been in reform mode for weeks now. Haven't you noticed? I mean there's a limit to my talents. I never could compete with you in the invective contest. Plus I noticed your respect and influence was waning anyway, so I decided to leave the field all to you and your competitors.

Weary

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 18:28
Jeez, Jack. I've been in reform mode for weeks now. Haven't you noticed? I mean there's a limit to my talents. I never could compete with you in the invective contest. Plus I noticed your respect and influence was waning anyway, so I decided to leave the field all to you and your competitors.

Weary

Patient and fortitude. Patient and fortitude.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 18:39
Oh, stop being silly, Weary.

If you can't see the absurdity about decrying rudeness, incivility, and insulting speech in a post that also has YOU being rude, uncivil, and insulting, well, there's no help for you.

Eight pages of posts about discourteous comments, and the ONLY person who goes into personal attack mode is you. On a thread decrying personal attacks.

No, there really is no help for you.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 18:41
Would everyone just shut up, I'm trying to think!!!!

mudhead
12-09-2007, 18:54

Dang! Scary thought.!

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 18:57
Dang! Scary thought.!
Ouch!!!!:p
I actually stole that line from a movie "Employee of the Month."

mudhead
12-09-2007, 18:59
Layup. Was feeling wankish.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 19:03
Layup. Was feeling wankish.
Wanker. :p

mudhead
12-09-2007, 19:11
I really hope you are not from England.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 19:12
I really hope you are not from England.
No, but I'm verrrrry familiar with the verb form.:o

weary
12-09-2007, 20:22
If you can't see the absurdity about decrying rudeness, incivility, and insulting speech in a post that also has YOU being rude, uncivil, and insulting, well, there's no help for you.
Eight pages of posts about discourteous comments, and the ONLY person who goes into personal attack mode is you. On a thread decrying personal attacks.
No, there really is no help for you.
Jack, you must learn to distinguish between honest reporting, and invective.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2007, 20:37
Youy decry incivility in a post, and criticize people who make personal insults.

And then, in the exact same post, you insult people!

This not only makes you look completely incincere; it makes you look foolish.

So which is it, Weary?

Are you a hypocrite or are you simple?

Oh. If you wanna say "Both!" you'll get no argument here.

SGT Rock
12-09-2007, 20:41
Some things never change.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 20:43
Some things never change.
Oh I don't know. I think they're working things out. In fact I think FDino may have a photosh. . . errr, picture of them hugging.

andyappleseed
12-09-2007, 20:47
Cheers...I think the Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" would be appropriate. : )

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 20:52
Oh I don't know. I think they're working things out. In fact I think FDino may have a photosh. . . errr, picture of them hugging.Even I wouldn't photoshop that one.... the pxels would catch fire. :D

buckowens
12-09-2007, 20:52
[quote=4eyedbuzzard;467339]1) The proper way to hike ...

2) I agree

3) You are a genius

4) But, of course

Totally off topic, but we also have a saying in aviation in regard to the three ways to get along with the Pilot in Command or Captain:

Nice takeoff sir.
Nice landing sir.
I'll take the ugly one sir... (single guys of course...):D

LOL, I'll probably get smoked for this, but I normally play by most of the rules.:rolleyes: It can work for a female crew, but it does not translate as well...

I'm in on the original idea of this thread as well!

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 21:20
Even I wouldn't photoshop that one.... the pxels would catch fire. :D

:) . . . . . .

Smile
12-09-2007, 21:43
Chuck Norris can clap with one hand. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 22:02
Chuck Norris could make Weary and Jack hug :D

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 22:04
Chuck Norris could make Weary and Jack hug :D
Yes, but could the Dali Lama, or Ghandi (were he still alive of course)?

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 22:10
I'm in on the original idea of this thread as well!

Welcome to the team...

Kirby
12-09-2007, 22:18
I like the intent of the thread, but some sarcasm is nice from time to time, but I will be sure not to launch any personal attacks.

Kirby

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 22:25
I like the intent of the thread, but some sarcasm is nice from time to time, but I will be sure not to launch any personal attacks.

Kirby

Sarcarsm is cool, hateful words are not. Thanks Kirby.

gaga
12-09-2007, 22:37
To Think, or Not To Think , this is the question!! whatever you chose is up to you, but be -Straight- in the straight forward section.:cool:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-09-2007, 22:46
Angry words! O let them never,
From the tongue unbridled slip,
]May the heart’s best impulse ever,
Check them ere they soil the lip.

Angry words are lightly spoken,
Bitterest thoughts are rashly stirred,
Brightest links of life are broken
By a single angry word

Horatio R. Palmer, 1867

camojack
12-09-2007, 23:08
Yes, some find it a difficult process... :-?

warraghiyagey
12-09-2007, 23:13
Yes, some find it a difficult process... :-?
So far tonight I think that's
Camojack - 2
Warrgi - 0

Crap:rolleyes:

Heater
12-09-2007, 23:35
In case your google button doesn't work, here is one site that explains what contra dancing is in general...

How's that "Think button" workin for ya? :D

Tin Man
12-09-2007, 23:50
How's that "Think button" workin for ya? :D

Works great. I said nothing nasty. There is nothing wrong with being a wise guy. The Think button isn't the Boring button as some have suggested. :)

A-Train
12-10-2007, 00:18

Exactly. This site is comprised of 98% great, helpful people who share a common bond of loving the long trails and having a sense of humor, and a need to chat with like-minded people. To me, the same couple people here poison many threads with their personal vendetta's which they can't get past. These folks have no problems with embarrassing themselves on a daily basis with childish arguments and personal jabs.

I signed onto the political threads a month or two ago and boy It's really exposed me to a side of some people that is truly ugly. And some of these folks are pretty nice in real life and on the trail. Think i'll be unsuscribing soon.:)

Idealist
12-10-2007, 05:56
Build on positive energy. Avoid negative energy.

I like this challenge. Consider me on board.

Gray Blazer
12-10-2007, 08:45
(Fingers in ears) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ..........:D

(I think we need a drink/don't drink button for the General Lee thread)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 08:47
::: Dino bites Gray Blazer on the buttons :::

Thoughtful Owl
12-10-2007, 09:45
White Blazers, Blue Blazers, Thru-Hikers, Section Hikers, Billvillains, and, yes, even Contra Dancers,

Please hit the THINK button before the ENTER button. ...

Sorry Tin Man, I didn't log into WB over the weekend, and am just now getting up to speed on the postings. However, I am definately IN.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 10:36
Sorry Tin Man, I didn't log into WB over the weekend, and am just now getting up to speed on the postings. However, I am definately IN.

That's very thoughtful, Owl. :D

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 11:35
Here is the real Think button...

You can purchase one online here (http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/PROD/lphil/y707). And, no, I am not affiliated with this store or item in any way.

Blue Jay
12-10-2007, 12:51

Oh no, I just realized I am waaay behind in my personal attacks. Now, even Weary is ahead of me. Even worse, I can't even think of anyone to attack. I've even made peace with Bfitz. I'm turning into a wanker, NOOOOOOOOOO

The Old Fhart
12-10-2007, 13:11
Baltimore Jack(post#108)-“..the people doing most of the complaining are, in fact, some of the worst culprits.”
Jack is right on with that comment. The people who are jumping up to say that others should see the light are also some of the ones who are wallowing in the mud with everyone else.

(opening post) Tin Man-…”So discuss away, share or learn or both. If you disagree, challenge the idea not the person. If you agree, say so and why. If you have another idea, speak up. Sometimes a quick Google supports your position or maybe you will learn differently. Be open. Promote new ideas or thoughts. Listen to other ideas and think about them. Build on positive energy. Avoid negative energy.”
So I quote the regulations to show support for the official position (as suggested in the above quote) and what is the response?

Tin Man-“TOF - Whatever. I got better things to do than debate with a reg weenie. :rolleyes:

And as for not making this personal and avoiding negative energy:

Dixicritter-“I can tell you aren't worth my time anymore. Goodnight.”

And don’t forgot the poster who spent pages trying unsuccessfully to discredit my position.

Frolicking Dinosaurs …"the term inflexible is too flexible for what you are."

Frolicking Dinosaurs-"I wish a real authority (as opposed to the self-appointed variety) would join this discussion." And after trying to discredit me because she erroneously thought I wasn’t what she misconstrued was a “real authority”, when she found that I was, as I predicted, she attacked me for that. Several other posters were questioning her unhealthy interest in my personal life as well.

Frolicking Dinosaurs-"Sorry, but promoting his very narrow viewpoints is not something I am willing to give $$$s to support - I will find another worthy organization for my conservation donations until his term expires."
………
"Members-at-large help set policy for the organization and you are quite right in assuming that I won't be contributing $$$s to organization at which you are in such a postion."

So what can we learn from all this? It is ok to bash someone (like me) who holds views opposed to yours because they have to be wrong, even if they quote the rules and regulations! The following quote should apply to the person who posted it as well as others.

Frolicking Dinosaurs-“Bashing other posters does not prove one's point; it merely suggests that one can't defend the point any other way.” :banana :banana

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 13:28
Jack is right on with that comment. The people who are jumping up to say that others should see the light are also some of the ones who are wallowing in the mud with everyone else.

So I quote the regulations to show support for the official position (as suggested in the above quote) and what is the response?

And as for not making this personal and avoiding negative energy:

And don’t forgot the poster who spent pages trying unsuccessfully to discredit my position.

And after trying to discredit me because she erroneously thought I wasn’t what she misconstrued was a “real authority”, when she found that I was, as I predicted, she attacked me for that. Several other posters were questioning her unhealthy interest in my personal life as well.

So what can we learn from all this? It is ok to bash someone (like me) who holds views opposed to yours because they have to be wrong, even if they quote the rules and regulations! The following quote should apply to the person who posted it as well as others.

:banana :banana

beautiful Fhart. hypocricy is a beautiful thing. it runs rampant here at Whiteblaze :)

mudhead
12-10-2007, 13:36
I think I gotta go get some exercise.

Marta
12-10-2007, 13:59
I'm glad I was out hiking this weekend. It was lovely in the Smokies--misty and/or raining. By yesterday midday the creeks were gushing. (I was on the wet side of the mountains, in the Deep Creek area.) I even saw a solitary red eft on the trail.

During two days of walking I didn't see a single other person while we were hiking. There were a few guys at the campsite REverse and I stayed at. Amazingly we didn't get into any acrimonious arguments.

Lunchtime is over. Back to work.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 15:00
TOF,

I was surprised it took so long for someone to drag up my checkered past here. I, for one, never felt good after I made some unkind comments to you and others. In part, this is why I started this thread. So TOF, my apologies to you.

All,

My apologies to anyone I may have made inappropriate comments to in the past. I could say more, but I don't want to bring out the wanker police again. Probably will anyway. Nothing wrong with that. Everybody could benefit a little more fun in their life.

Smile
12-10-2007, 15:05
I don't want to bring out the wanker police again.
I bought their last album - rockin! :)

The Weasel
12-10-2007, 15:15
Tin Man - hope this helps by contrast. I'm with ya.:)

Can't say it as well as you did, so I"ll just agree (and doing so before reading the rest of the posts!.

TW

Mags
12-10-2007, 15:20
I'm glad I was out hiking this weekend. It was lovely in the Smokies--

I went skiing (backcountry, no resort stuff for me) both Saturday and Sunday. Had some latkes last night. Mmmm...

Suprisingly no arguements as well. :)

Maybe I'll have the photos posted later today.

Now, time for me to get some lunch too...

The Weasel
12-10-2007, 15:26

Weary, his premise isn't wrong, at least in historical terms, about WB: I'm one of the original members, and the "politics" and "sensitive" and even the "non-AT" forums are a relatively recent addition, not having been present in the first year or so of WB. They've been added because, as I understand it, a lot of arguing about such topics occurred in the "hiking" forums, and were somewhat of a "Why don't you all take this discussion to another place" solution, rather than being a "This Post Deleted" form of censorship.

So both approaches are valid: The "old Whiteblaze" didn't have them; the "newer" WhiteBlaze does. There are good reasons for each. The current solution - and the one he espouses - that allows people to stay out of those topics if they wish, is the one the Admins like, and if they're happy, the rest of us are happy.

TW

The Weasel
12-10-2007, 15:30
It's becoming apparent that the "Ready, Fire, Aim" folks at WB are, by their nature, going to be in opposition to this proposal. ;) :p

Not necessarily.

TW

TOW
12-10-2007, 15:31
wwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll......... .......hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
...........wwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeelllllllll............ ....:-?

The Weasel
12-10-2007, 15:45
Parson Brown found out that Mr. Johnson was shortweighting farmers at the elevator, which is a pretty serious sin out in farm country. So on Sunday, he preached a powerful sermon against lyin', cheatin' and bein' unneighborly, knowing Mr. Johnson would be there in the audience listening. Unfortunately, a huge blizzard hit town the night before, and when the Parson entered, he saw the church was empty...except for Mr. Johnson. Thinking it was important to send the message, he preached that sermon right powerful, all the way to the end, "Now all who hear this should go and sin no more." After the closing prayer, the Parson stood in the door, as always, and Mr. Johson came by to shake hands. "Great sermon, Pastor. Too bad all those sinners who needed to hear it aren't here!"

TW

envirodiver
12-10-2007, 15:49
While standing and weaving side-to-side:
Kumbaya my lord Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord Kumbaya...

Come on everyone...take my hand and sing along

ATSeamstress
12-10-2007, 16:02
Fellow WB'ers, I knew this thread might appear a little maudlin or sappy. However, I only wanted to communicate an idea that Internet discussions do not have to be brawls where the nastier discussions discourage people to learn and share. Do we want WB to be another nasty Internet BB or do we want to set a model of civility setting a higher standard for Internet discussions? It is up to each of us to decide.

I'm with you, Tin Man!

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:07
I'm with you, Tin Man!

Cool. :cool: And please don't sing Cumbaya. I hate that song. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 16:07
And after trying to discredit me because she erroneously thought I wasn’t what she misconstrued was a “real authority”, when she found that I was, as I predicted, she attacked me for that. Several other posters were questioning her unhealthy interest in my personal life as well.TOF, As you are well aware, I have made attempts to contact you privately to discuss this. You have refused any discourse at all. You, my dear sir, are the problem here.

Being on the board of ALDHA hardly makes anyone an authority on anything these days. Still don't think you are an authority on anything except Billville and, since you refuse discourse on the subject, likely never will.

Johnny Thunder
12-10-2007, 16:09
What's ALDHA?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 16:11
That's a really good question - maybe the founder, Warren Doyle, will come by and answer it.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:13
TOF, As you are well aware, I have made attempts to contact you privately to discuss this. You have refused any discourse at all. You, my dear sir, are the problem here.

Being on the board of ALDHA hardly makes anyone an authority on anything these days. Still don't think you are an authority on anything except Billville and, since you refuse discourse on the subject, likely never will.

Easy Dino. The trick to this Think button thing is to not to succumb to attack or dish it back harshly. Of course, you should stand your ground, but don't get into the mud. Dinos sink in mud - saw it on National Geographic last night - really. Besides, if he is an authority on Billville, something many aspire to be, then he can't be all bad. ;)

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:15
What's ALDHA?

Appalachian Long Distance Hiker Association.

Check the website for more info...

http://aldha.org/

Lots of good resources there.

ATSeamstress
12-10-2007, 16:18
Cool. :cool: And please don't sing Cumbaya. I hate that song. ;)

Me too!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 16:22
Sorry, Tiin Man. I just am tired of some of these fellows acting like they are taking the high road when they aren't. I made efforts to iron things out with TOF. He won't even consider it which pretty much leads me to believe what I thought in the first place is pretty much how things are.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:26
Sorry, Tiin Man. I just am tired of some of these fellows acting like they are taking the high road when they aren't. I made efforts to iron things out with TOF. He won't even consider it which pretty much leads me to believe what I thought in the first place is pretty much how things are.

No apologies necessary. All I am suggesting is there is no need to drag things further into the mud. Kind of stinks up the whole board rather than just the instigator, don't you think?

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 16:30
American Long Distance Hiker Association.

APPALACHIAN Long Distance Hikers Association

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 16:32
APPALACHIAN Long Distance Hikers Association

Oops. Thanks for the correction LW.

saimyoji
12-10-2007, 16:49

Time to cut your losses? :cool: Not everyone can be saved. :sun

The Old Fhart
12-10-2007, 16:55
Frolicking Dinosaurs-“ TOF, As you are well aware, I have made attempts to contact you privately to discuss this. You have refused any discourse at all. You, my dear sir, are the problem here. “
Absolutely false- You sent me one single PM only yesterday saying you wanted to “talk”. Well this, my dear Dino, is my answer. If you want to say anything to me, say it here in the public forum. If you are too embarrassed to say it in public then you probably shouldn’t say it at all. You have already used your PM as a weapon blame me not dropping everything I was doing to answer you. I’m sorry that you feel that everyone must reply on your schedule- it ain’t going to happen.

Frolicking Dinosaurs-“Being on the board of ALDHA hardly makes anyone an authority on anything these days. Still don't think you are an authority on anything except Billville and, since you refuse discourse on the subject, likely never will.”

Once again, you have totally misrepresented what I ACTUALLY said and I made that very clear because I knew it would be misrepresented.

TOF post#366-“…Actually my personal life is none of FD's business and being a member of any group doesn’t have anything to do with my knowledge on any subject or my ability to quote simple laws that some choose to ignore.”
….
TOF-“So if FD wanted some official to explain the legalities of hiking the trail, she may consider herself disappointed because I post here as The Old Fhart, an individual. And I’m also sure that although she wanted to hear from some official, if that’s what she wants to consider my posting here, she will now complain because she considers me an official.”

….And the final attack which basically calls me a liar and blames me for her PM. -
Frolicking Dinosaurs-“ “Sorry, Tiin Man. I just am tired of some of these fellows acting like they are taking the high road when they aren't. I made efforts to iron things out with TOF. He won't even consider it which pretty much leads me to believe what I thought in the first place is pretty much how things are.”

So you’ve spent yet more of your time posting in violation of the intent of this thread. I really wish you would read what is posted and not continually claim I said it when it is actually your words, not mine. If you want to discuss anything with me, I repeat, do it here or not at all. If you feel that you can’t say something to me in public, don’t bother to say it at all. And if you choose to say anything in public, start honoring the spirit of this thread. I’m not the only person to rebuke you for getting personal once again.

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 17:01
Yikes. I hope the moderators don't come around and shutdown this thread. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-10-2007, 17:03
TOF, I wanted to discuss it privately to keep the spirit of this thread.... you started the attacks in this thread by quoting material from another thread and slamming me and others in post 194 on this thread.

You are making a blantant attempt to drag the discussion elsewhere into this thread and make it my fault. You started this and the readers can plainly see that.

dixicritter
12-10-2007, 17:04
TOF has real issues. And attacking an Admin is always a real good idea. :rolleyes:

envirodiver
12-10-2007, 17:24
While opening a Coke:

"If I could teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony..."
come everyone it's an all sing. :banana

D'Artagnan
12-10-2007, 17:28
Wow! I've been away for a few days and it appears in my absence the median age of the posters on WB has dropped to about 11 or 12. 'Tis the season, I suppose. ;)

Lone Wolf
12-10-2007, 17:29
Wow! I've been away for a few days and it appears in my absence the median age of the posters on WB has dropped to about 11 or 12. 'Tis the season, I suppose. ;)

i told ya it was a total wanker thread :)

Tin Man
12-10-2007, 17:31

Going for that wanker PG-13 rating. ;)

dixicritter
12-10-2007, 17:32
Ya know what LW, I think I'm startin to agree with ya. ;)

How's about we shut her down?