PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a 23 year old picture

Uncle Wayne
12-11-2003, 02:31
mcw1882,

I enjoyed reading your comments in the thread you started about children on the AT. I also found the photos you uploaded interesting. I may can help identify one of them for you. Check out your photo here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1945&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

With my photo here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2010&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=555

A slightly different vantage point but the photos are similar anyway. I know there are dozens of places along the AT that may look the same but when I saw your photos I thought, I've been to that place. (October 2003)

Chris, Smokymtnsteve, Simva, all of you are familar with the view from Mt. Cammerer Lookout, what do you think? Or anyone else as far as that goes, didn't mean to exclude anyone. It really doesn't matter whether they match or not but it would give Mike a name to one of his photos.

After studying them side by side I don't know, not as close a match as I originally thought. :-?

mcw1882
12-11-2003, 11:28
mcw1882,

A slightly different vantage point but the photos are similar anyway. I know there are dozens of places along the AT that may look the same but when I saw your photos I thought, I've been to that place. (October 2003)

After studying them side by side I don't know, not as close a match as I originally thought. :-?
I don't agree, I think you may have an exact match. It's a bit difficult because your pic is taken at a higher zoom then the one my stepdad took. I'll have to reload some of my imaging software but from just looking at the ridge line in my pic and comparing that to the ridge line in yours, you can see that they match very closely. I would have to upload the pics to the imaging software and focus on the mountains to confirm, so I'll let you know...

Rain Man
12-11-2003, 12:01
A slightly different vantage point but the photos are similar anyway. I know there are dozens of places along the AT that may look the same but when I saw your photos I thought, I've been to that place.

Heck, you've got ME convinced they're the same. I agree one's from a higher vantage point, but they look like the same view to this untrained eye, which has never been to that spot yet, for what it's worth.

Rain Man

chomp
12-11-2003, 12:28
Yup, I agree as well. The zoom is different, as is the elevation that the shots were take at. However, you have the same location, for sure. You can even see the long ridge behind the main mountain in both shots. Its the same place.

chris
12-11-2003, 12:35
They do look pretty similar, I must say.

sloetoe
12-11-2003, 15:09
They do look pretty similar, I must say.

Cammerer!
When I first saw the setting, I thought "Going up Blood Mtn." bu the mountains were not as I remember them (and isn't there that big ol' lake in there, too?) and then the sun was coming from a whole different (and just "wrong") angle.

Then it whapped me: The pine says "south"; the buds say "spring"; the whole things says "north Smokies" or "just south of Damascus". But Virginia is too far for the buds. The descent from Cammerer is the only place where the AT passes that kind of pine regularly (although, having just done Newfound->Fontana over July 4th, I should rethink that).

So if I put myself on Cammerer, southbound, and swing the trail onto the NE side of the mountain, I'd get a good clean look up the Big Creek valley, with (I'm thinking) Tri-Corner Knob right there, due south. (The trail does this 2-3 times after passing Chestnut Branch Trail southbound.) The picture was taken in the afternoon, and you're spending the night at (in 1980) Davenport Gap shelter, maybe 3 more miles.

We got this one covered.

MedicineMan
12-14-2003, 10:37
Glad some things dont change, I agree that the two pics are from the same point.

tombone
12-14-2003, 11:15
These are definitely shots taken southward from mt cammerer-mt. sterling is the mass on the left, across the big creek drainage and cataloochee balsam(big cataloochee mtn), upon which the laurel gap LT resides, is peeking over the right shoulder of sterling. My question now is the 2 ridges in the foreground plunging off of the ridge which photographer is standing on. One might be the ridge that separates Chestnut Branch drainage from Big Creek(the ridge that appears as a rhodo slick), and the other (spruce on upper reaches) could be what is called Rough Mtn on the quad map, which is a side ridge of Sunup Knob. I do remember a good amount of spruce along that ridge, including a nice dark green pocket on them right up along the AT. Any seconds or dissenters?
This area hasn't changed much in the 30 years that i've visited - not much spruce death and virtually no fraser fir - we will see a decline in the hemlocks - most of the creeks leading up to cammerer already harbor dead or dying hemlocks. The rhodo and laurel slicks remain - seemingly timeless.

smokymtnsteve
12-14-2003, 22:36
Not sure ..maybe..

why don't we take a trip up to mt cammerer and check iit out against the real view. you got hard copies of those photos we could carry with us Uncle Wayne??? we might have to stay all night at the fire lookout just so we could get the true perspective... :D